RUMORS: Shaka Smart to Marquette? (and other Coach moves)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Re: RUMORS: Shaka Smart to Marquette? (and other Coach moves

Unread post by Ramulous »

It proves my hypothesis that successful college coaches are based 85% recruiting, 5% scheduling, 5% X's and O's, and 5% ego management ....

...pro coaches are based on having two super stars, preferably three....several good role players....and ego management with a bit of X's and O's....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm going to change my resume. Batman may not be a suitable reference.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramfan85 wrote:I'm going to change my resume. Batman may not be a suitable reference.
I'd definitely recommend Alfred over Batman in terms of a professional reference
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think there is one crucial aspect you are missing -- Player Development. I believe recruiting is the most important aspect for any coach, but a lot of coaches can make up not getting the best 10 players in the country by developing their talent. There are coaches who can never make a splash in the Top 100 recruiting, but always win a game or two come March because they develop their players over a few years and let them prosper as upperclassmen. Those guys, however, are a special breed.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Player development is factored into recruiting....because ultimately the player is responsible for absorbing what the coaching staff is trying to instill....the ability to identify coachable kids is in the recruiting component....in my opinion....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The jury's out for Brad Stevens and the Celts. He's doing fairly well, considering the roster, in Boston. But it could be because he's got young players. It'll be interesting what happens with a couple of older veterans are added.
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Sly Williams

The Celtic's future success depends heavily on Danny Ainge's player procurement more so than anything Stevens can do....see Spoelstra....
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ramulous wrote:Player development is factored into recruiting....because ultimately the player is responsible for absorbing what the coaching staff is trying to instill....the ability to identify coachable kids is in the recruiting component....in my opinion....
True, but can't player development also have something to do with the coaching staff? I guess it all ties together to an extent, but if 20 guys all recruit the same player, can't they all have a different impact? There are guys who would get minimal out of him, and guys who could turn him into a Top 50 player. I don't think that falls all on the player. I mean, look at Bryce Cotton. No D1 scholarship offers until the last minute. Didn't seem to have much potential under Keno Davis. Could every D1 coach turn him into a fringe NBA prospect?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You can argue whether or not requiring a college coach to have a degree is a good rule, but it's hard to argue that a school shouldn't enforce an established rule.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:That is unreal. This is something I should know but don't: what is his status at Manhattan now? Can he just go back there like nothing happened? Is Manhattan going to want to know what the snafu was?
Masiello had never resigned from Manhattan so technically he's still their coach, even though he had met with the team and told them he was leaving. He's "on leave" from that job now, so I guess the school is figuring out what to do. I imagine they would want him back, with some plan of correction if their head coach position also requires a degree. The school would definitely seem to have the power in this process now, though.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Fortunately for him, depending on which and how many credits he is away from earning a degree, he really should have one by this time next year.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Manhattan has suspended him, while he checks out his UK
status regarding his graduation.
Maybe they gave him a blank diploma during graduation ceremonies,
like some schools we know do for their athletes? Guess he never looked at it.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

When I stated earlier in the week that Steve Masiello could be a name mentioned for bigger jobs, RJ Superfly disagreed. He will work out his transcript problem but I don't believe he will return to Manhattan. That ship has sailed. Look for Tim Welsh to be in the mix there if they don't go for another up and comer.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Being part of a Bobby Gonzalez coaching tree should have halted the background check even before getting to the college part. Oh, and there's another story about him taking 50k from a ticket broker to deliver kentucky derby tickets but he just kept the 50k...allegedly of course. Anyway I think there's a little but more than only the graduation thing there.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The lack of a degree in and of itself shouldn't be a barrier to someone becoming a coach. Lying about oneself should most definitely be a deal-breaker.

And BTW, for all the years Masiello has been coaching in colleges, couldn't he have found the time to complete a degree?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Fool 'em once, fool 'em twice, but once the big moolah is on the table…...
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Guys, GUYS... Smart officially turned down the Marquette job. I think maybe he might be staying at VCU.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... den-eagles
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

But didn't Rooke all but confirm that Marquette hired Shaka? Goodman may have made a mistake?

By the way, I love the hate that Goodman receives on the Providence board. Goodman is one of, if not the best guy in the business. He was 100% accurate about everything he said with regards to Ricky Ledo, and they hate him for it for some reason.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

most on that board know nothing about anything that happens outside of PC or the BE. goodman is great and widely respected as a cbb guru.
dayton just putting the nail in the coffin this season, A10 - 1, NBE - 0. dayton is athletic and can score the basketball from multiple positions, dangerous in march.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

George Washington extends Lonergan's contract. I know extensions don't mean everything, but it's nice to see the A10 reward successful coaches.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... gh-2020-21
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Que the miller rumors.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SBU's Schmidt met with BC today, Goodman says.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lol BC
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Figured he'd stay. Good for him.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

On the dark side, no mention of Smart turning MU down. Gee, but they had some guy who had inside information. Now, they're honing in on Archie Miller. These clowns only want to destroy our "insignificant" conference.

Speaking of Mr. Rourke:

John Rooke
@JRbroadcasterRodfromCranston ‏@RodfromCranston Mar 24

Hearing from Milwaukee that Shaka Smart is headed that way to sign a deal @muathletics_mbb If true, great move for #BigEast @BIGEASTMBB - 24 Mar
More Tweets
RodfromCranston
@RodfromCranston
@JRbroadcaster Announcement isn't a press conference.No confirmation of anything.No news sources reporting it, either.

John Rooke
@JRbroadcaster

@RodfromCranston thank goodness youre on top of this from cranston world hq! - 24 Mar

joe7886
@joe7886

@JRbroadcaster @RodfromCranston Cranston World HQ had it right, You were wrong

12:21 AM - 28 Mar 14
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I think when Rooke was born (probably wearing his black mock turtleneck), the doctor slapped his mother.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think it was interesting that Shaka Smart got to the point of talking to Marquette to the point that an offer was made and then he turned it down. It was not like Shake said no right away. Good for Shaka to see what his worth might be to the world outside of the A10. Good negotiating tactic but from all I was reading up to this point it seemed that Shaka was not interested in leaving VCU at all.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm sure he spoke to UCLA, Illinois, Minnesota, et al, too.
Never hurts to listen.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'm sure he spoke to UCLA, Illinois, Minnesota, et al, too.
Never hurts to listen.
No for sure it never hurts to listen, after all, why not but it seemed from many of the articles and comments that he was not in serious discussions. Good that he was and good that he decided to stay with VCU. Also shows that it may not be over yet for Shaka as there will be more openings to come and some higher profile that Marquette and the New Catholic Big East. The CNBE did not exactly put forth the image they had originally planned to - only 4 teams in the NCAA with one Xavier being a play-in game. Also nobody advancing to the Sweet 16 - ouch.
The fact that Shaka did engage with Marquette also says he is approachable to other offers - not exactly great newes for VCU fans.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

MARQUETTE'S NEXT TARGET

The next reach, the next joke………….Oh, that's right: YOUR FOX $$$$$$$$$$$$$ AT WORK!!!!!!!!!!
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... den-eagles
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Re: MARQUETTE'S NEXT TARGET

I can't understand why you would identify your target.....is it a leak of inside info to the media...or is it speculation on the part of the media.....when your "target" says "no" how does that help you ?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Because they're idiots.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jerry D is available!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

And what a sideshow he'd bring with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:I can't understand why you would identify your target.....is it a leak of inside info to the media...or is it speculation on the part of the media.....when your "target" says "no" how does that help you ?
Maybe to make the job seem more desirable. This guy would never leave a good major conference job for the Marquette job, but by associating the job with Smart and Martin, maybe they can get a coach at the next lower tier interested. Maybe they should offer the job to Phil Jackson or Gregg Popavich, too.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Marquette's BB budget was ranked 6th in the country last year. Money isn't the problem.

I'm sure Shaka was offered more than he'll ever get at VCU. There's got to be more problems than meet the eye there.

Some people said Buzz left because of internal issues. Seems like a cop out. Until last week, they didn't have a president, and they still don't have an AD.

I tend to believe what he said concerning the direction of the NBE. All that Fox money isn't everything.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Lefty Driesell is still available…………...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

As is the "Baron of Bounce."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice vote of confidence from your boss, Travis Ford- your contract was a mistake.

http://m.newsok.com/article/3948498
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Nice vote of confidence from your boss, Travis Ford- your contract was a mistake.

Has Jared signed his LOI yet?....
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:Nice vote of confidence from your boss, Travis Ford- your contract was a mistake.

Has Jared signed his LOI yet?....
Yes. Players don't care. Oklahoma State has all the bells and whistles and shiny things, along with some recent success (despite no tournament wins).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sounds eerily similar to a certain past coach who called Kingston his BB home for way too many years.

I'm guessing OSU bails out of this one as soon as they can. Even they have limits on the amount of money they can spend on an underachieving coach.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:Sounds eerily similar to a certain past coach who called Kingston his BB home for way too many years.

I'm guessing OSU bails out of this one as soon as they can. Even they have limits on the amount of money they can spend on an underachieving coach.
There's no buy-out option for the school. They owe him $11.85 million over the next 5 years. There are ways that decreases, for example if he got a new job, that total would be decreased from the yearly amount. That school has people around them who are filthy rich, but I'm not sure basketball is their focus.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sounds a lot like the guy who followed him at UMass.
Pretty awful when your boss goes on record as seeing your
continued employment, as a mistake.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ace, what I meant was, they won't wait 5 more years to dump him if they continue to underperform.

They will eat a couple years if they have to. Just like URI [read:boosters] did.

But for now, they are stuck with him.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As cruel as it sounds, the college president is setting a standard of excellence for everyone at OSU. What do the Patriot's do when they have an overpaid and under-performing employee? The AD is also being put on notice that mediocrity is not acceptable, and over-paying a coach is an example of mediocrity or worse. There are no excuses at OSU. Every legal perk and then some have been made available to athletics to win. Losing is not an acceptable option. At OSU, excellence is expected in every program. In the end, the expenses involved in creating an environment for excellence are more than off-set by the benefits generated. All is needed is the institutional courage to reach for greatness.
NCAAs or Bust!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"Players are bewildered at what went wrong, fans are fed up, the entire vibe around Cowboy basketball is toxic and Ford has five years left on that contract."

If players are bewildered, they care. If "the entire vibe" is TOXIC, hey, EVERYONE WILL WANT TO BE PART OF THE ACTION………………
Show the article to every recruits' parent or guardian, they'll be thrilled.
:roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Too bad. If OSU would "pony" up the cash to dump Ford, maybe Jared would reconsider?

Not likely, but a thought.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:Too bad. If OSU would "pony" up the cash to dump Ford, maybe Jared would reconsider?

Not likely, but a thought.
Ford isn't really the reason Terrell chose Oklahoma State. By all accounts, official and otherwise, he liked the Rhode Island staff better.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

But his favorite color was green, not Keaney Blue.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund