Game #24: vs UMass - Sun Feb 9, 4pm CBS Sports Network

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #24: vs UMass - Sun Feb 9, 4pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by neil »

The view from 205

1. Not much to add - what college basketball is all about, except for a better ending
2. When Putney made his first dunk, he went right by the ram bench jawing - not surprised that he got caught.
3. EC is a freshman, EC is a freshman, EC is a freshman
4. JR played fine. I thought he was more aggressive, especially on offensive, as someone mentioned earlier we need other point scorers.
5. Hassan side line jumper. I actually jumped out of my seat for that. Probably thinking of things to come.
6. Is Biruta getting John Clark disease. You could always count on JC for some quick fouls. DH says he playing out of position - fine - who plays the five next year?
7. Iffy made foul shots!!!!
8. Looking at the big picture, I thought the refs were okay.
9. Williams, weren't their times at the end of the game that you swear he wasn't even looking at the basket when he shot.
10. I hate Umass! Go Rhody!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Part of the reason Hare didn't play as many minutes is foul troubles,
and ineffective play.
You can be an ass and call people dishonest, but Martin has produced better than Hare.
For all the crying over not having a shot blocker, Martin is better as a rebounder and shot blocker,
and I know he plays better defense.
And who the hell even mentioned Martin going elsewhere? What does that have to do with anything?
If you don't get my points, that's you problem.
Keep trying. Hare had 68 fouls. Martin has 66. I am not saying you are a dishonest person. You are being intellectually dishonest. Hare had more blocks per his time on the floor but Martin is a better shot blocker?

The reason I said Martin wasn't going anywhere is sometimes when a player leaves it is the reason someone else comes here. My point is that there is no reason that both wouldn't have played. It's not an either/or situation. This team would have more wins with Hare. Not sure anyone can debate that.

This comparison you made is full of holes. You should be like the Texas tech fan and admit you said something stupid. Which is funny because you yell and scream at anyone who brings Hare up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't know why its an either/or conversation...I would like to have them both there. What a difference two guys at the rim with their shot blocking abilities would make...would change the entire way we play perimeter defense. From what I had seen of Hare in Italy he would have been a difference maker, case closed. He was a 6'10" jumping jack, we NEVER get those.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If you want to say we are replacing Hare with this kid I can live with that...

http://deadspin.com/seven-foot-one-high ... 1519512415
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

My eyes tell me Martin is a better player with a higher ceiling than Hare...Sure it would be nice to have Hare on the court with Martin but that's not gonna happen so why bother going down that road...just as much of a waste of time as picturing Martin and Sponge Holton on the court together with Billy B, EC, and X
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Thank you Gorhody89, for getting my point.
For those who need things written in crayon,
IT'S NOT AN EITHER/OR SITUATION!
Hare is gone and we have Martin. Crying what both would have done
is a moot point.
The point I was trying to make (now read realllly slow) is, Martin has surpassed Hare's totals in 3 less games.
Last I knew stats were kept on a per game basis.
So, none of Biruta's per game stats mean anything, because he plays less minutes,
because he's on the bench with fouls?
Whatever.........
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

gorhody89 wrote:My eyes tell me Martin is a better player with a higher ceiling than Hare...Sure it would be nice to have Hare on the court with Martin but that's not gonna happen so why bother going down that road...just as much of a waste of time as picturing Martin and Sponge Holton on the court together with Billy B, EC, and X
If I had to take one, I would take Martin. But, let's be honest. Hare's ceiling is (was) pretty good. 6'10" pogo sticks don't come around very often. And, the flip side to Martin being a beast body wise from day one is that Hare at 22 or 23 years old would have been a much bigger/stronger kid so who knows what that dimension would have brought.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Thank you Gorhody89, for getting my point.
For those who need things written in crayon,
IT'S NOT AN EITHER/OR SITUATION!
Hare is gone and we have Martin. Crying what both would have done
is a moot point.
The point I was trying to make (now read realllly slow) is, Martin has surpassed Hare's totals in 3 less games.
Last I knew stats were kept on a per game basis.
So, none of Biruta's per game stats mean anything, because he plays less minutes,
because he's on the bench with fouls?
Whatever.........
I really feel bad for you.

Let's not bring him up but, if you do, make sure it is the way Rod does it. Meaning, in a ridiculous, shoe horned, gerrymandered, baseless, statistically irrelevant way.

Good to know.

Last I checked, it's per game!!!!!! Good thing you don't make decisions around the program.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wicked impressed with EC, Hassan played well and had some killer blocks. TJ played great D but cant play point. Id like to see butler play more. X played good but looking ahead since he is the lone senior, hes gonna be missed and since this season is ALMOST a throw away, I'm more interested in returning players. Iffy when given the chance, is very valuable verse bigger opponents, he played great D and didn't let anyone back him down, plus he made some nice offensive plays. Still has stone hands though. Gil gets more fouls than any forward that I remember but is very valuable still. Its great to compete. Next year is our year.
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I feel bad for a person spending time on a message board, trashing the coach, the staff and team,
while trolling for arguments, and continually repeating the same pap, ad nauseum.
Nobody here buys your passive/aggressive garbage.
Glad you're not really a follower of the program.

Rhodymob 05, I hope you're right. Agree with your post 100%.
I wonder, when Gil has to guard quicker forwards, if we get a center,
how many more fouls he'll get?

Oh, some nice comments on the A-10 board about the program, Hurley and the Ryan Center.
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Martin is really starting to play tougher and meaner also. A few of those rebounds late were statement rebounds-like no one else is going to get that one.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:I feel bad for a person spending time on a message board, trashing the coach, the staff and team,
while trolling for arguments, and continually repeating the same pap, ad nauseum.
Nobody here buys your passive/aggressive garbage.
Glad you're not really a follower of the program.

Rhodymob 05, I hope you're right. Agree with your post 100%.
I wonder, when Gil has to guard quicker forwards, if we get a center,
how many more fouls he'll get?

Oh, some nice comments on the A-10 board about the program, Hurley and the Ryan Center.
Mark Twain once said that it's better to have people think you are a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. The Hare/Martin post basically removed all doubt.

I get it, you are the best fan ever. This had nothing to do with the Ryan Center or Hurley or anything else. Just your dopey Hare comments.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gonebarongone wrote:Hare had 68 fouls. Martin has 66.
You pointed out in an earlier post that Hare played less minutes than Martin. So to be clear, you use counting stats and averages interchangeably depending on whether they fit your argument, yes? And then accuse others of cherry-picking. Got it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You're sooo friggin smart!
You know the unknown soldier.
Why don't you join Mark Twain?
Tell us about your big D-3 getting splinters in your ass career, little man.
After all, you know more than Dan Hurley, and his entire staff!
He can't do Xs and O's. He can't recruit. He's a high school coach.
Thorr should have saved a lot of money and hired you!
You're a joke. You're so jealous of Hurley or people who have a job in
basketball, you come here and spew your pus, day after day.
Pathetic, Get some help, troll
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:You're sooo friggin smart!
You know the unknown soldier.
Why don't you join Mark Twain?
Tell us about your big D-3 getting splinters in your ass career, little man.
After all, you know more than Dan Hurley, and his entire staff!
He can't do Xs and O's. He can't recruit. He's a high school coach.
Thorr should have saved a lot of money and hired you!
You're a joke. You're so jealous of Hurley or people who have a job in
basketball, you come here and spew your pus, day after day.
Pathetic, Get some help, troll
Wrong again. Did DH forget your milk and cookies last night when he tucked you in? Awfully cranky today, no?

This has nothing to do with DH. There are plenty of threads about him. This was about Hare and Martin. Not only do you break your own cardinal rule of letting the Hare story die but you do it in the most ham-handed way. Stick to being king fan. Numbers clearly hurt your feeble mind. Telling another poster to die like Mark Twain? Maybe you should take a time out.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Aw, don't go away mad, just go away.
Moron.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think staff wants Big Earl to play center next year, which moves Gil and Hass back to more comfortable positions. I sure hope it's simply playing out of position that causes Gil to have so many fouls.

The fan with the great signs is our own RhodyJay here on KeaneyBlue.com
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Saw Hassan eating Earl alive in practice. Center?
I see him as a guy coming off the bench, at least at first.
Probably depends on if they can get Gustys, who'll maybe take over
in time.
I was looking and saw, EC broke in as a starter after 7 games, and Hassan after 13.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Saw Hassan eating Earl alive in practice. Center?
in time.
I was looking and saw, EC broke in as a starter after 7 games, and Hassan after 13.
Same practice where Onyekaba dominated Hare? Or the transfers won by 40?

Rodward and Bernstein. Keep em coming.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

^^^^^TROLL ALERT ^^^^^^^
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The baseball player who sang the anthem was senior LHP Nick Narodowy.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Back to the game...

Loved the effort, didn't have the horses to close it out. Chaz took over the last 4 minutes and was fantastic.

EC, glorious performance. Hassan was excellent, and Reischel played very well (and I don't really fault him for the goaltend at the end, would rather have hustling errors like that as opposed to just standing by). Iffy was a real solid player, I'd like to see that from him on a consistent basis. Good rebounding, hold your own defensively, and garbage points. If he can have more points than fouls, that's a good night :-)

Absolute horseshit on the no call on TJ at the end. I thought DH was going to strangle the ref, and I may have if I wasn't sitting up in 308...

We could never pad the lead past 5 or 6, which was a big factor, UMass always stayed close and then made plays at the end. Also at least 3 times during the game we had fast break opportunities on offense that were not converted, and ended up being transition buckets for UMass going the other way. Big time four-point swings there, our guys need to do a better job of drawing contact in those situations (although as the end of the game proved sometimes that isn't enough...).
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Hare was a terrible on-the-ball defender, he could not stop anyone one-on-one, but he was a great off-the-ball shot blocker.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Obadiah wrote:
• I loved the guy with the signs, especially the play on DK and hair gel, clever and very contemporary. UMass used to have a guy parading around with signs, but he was not as good looking and the signs were dumb and pure cornball, so typical of western Mass area.
Obadiah, are you calling me handsome? Thank you for the kind words.

I'm having a blast making the signs and trying to do my tiny part to change the culture at the RC. Yesterday's atmosphere was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

RoadyJay wrote:
Obadiah wrote:
• I loved the guy with the signs, especially the play on DK and hair gel, clever and very contemporary. UMass used to have a guy parading around with signs, but he was not as good looking and the signs were dumb and pure cornball, so typical of western Mass area.

I'm having a blast making the signs and trying to do my tiny part to change the culture at the RC. Yesterday's atmosphere was awesome.

I think that was a guy on their message board called signguy and he was unhappy because a game at uri students stole a sign and ripped it
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
gorhody89
ARD

Once again the students of the 200 level were sitting down and acting the opposite of how students are supposed to act...I have always been curious how plausable it would be to remove the barrier seperating the 100 level and 200 level in the student section...this would create a more united student section and I think it would cause people to stand...nobody wants to be the only guy standing in the 200 section but if the people in the row in front of them are standing they will...
Clapton is God
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Best student crowd yet as they were all interested in the game made sure UMass fans didn't take over RC
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

twisted3829 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:
Obadiah wrote:

I think that was a guy on their message board called signguy and he was unhappy because a game at uri students stole a sign and ripped it

He's lucky. Years ago the fans might have ripped him.
gorhody89
ARD

Iggy1979 wrote:Best student crowd yet as they were all interested in the game made sure UMass fans didn't take over RC

Couldn't disagree more, but the bar they have set is pretty low
Clapton is God
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I agree with Iggy, I thought the students were great. Showing up is the first step. and they were there. From where I was sitting (with several UMass fans all around me in 308), it was still clearly a very strong home crowd
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

the students in the 100's were great. the students in the 200's were pathetic. They all sat the whole game and stood up during intermissions when trying to get free shirts and mini basketballs. It's pathetic
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I was really disappointed with the students. The 100's were standing which is great, but the chants were unorganized and died off too quickly. Unless you spread some of those guys around the 200's section, students will not stand. You have to try and get them involved. The students here won't do it voluntarily. It's awkward if you and two other people want to stand in a section that honestly doesn't care much if the team wins or losses.
Best crowd was PC. People were loud and cheering for most of the game, especially the closing minutes of the second half.
gorhody89
ARD

rhodyfan3 wrote:I was really disappointed with the students. The 100's were standing which is great, but the chants were unorganized and died off too quickly. Unless you spread some of those guys around the 200's section, students will not stand. You have to try and get them involved. The students here won't do it voluntarily. It's awkward if you and two other people want to stand in a section that honestly doesn't care much if the team wins or losses.
Best crowd was PC. People were loud and cheering for most of the game, especially the closing minutes of the second half.
This is why I mentioned the plausibility of removing the barrier between the 100 and 200 level sections by the students in effect making 1 large student section
Clapton is God
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

gorhody89 wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:I was really disappointed with the students. The 100's were standing which is great, but the chants were unorganized and died off too quickly. Unless you spread some of those guys around the 200's section, students will not stand. You have to try and get them involved. The students here won't do it voluntarily. It's awkward if you and two other people want to stand in a section that honestly doesn't care much if the team wins or losses.
This is why I mentioned the plausibility of removing the barrier between the 100 and 200 level sections by the students in effect making 1 large student section
Thats an interesting idea. Open to anything. I understand the students attitude will improve once we begin winning consistently, but we can still work on making it better.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Much improvement by the students. It felt like at some parts the UMASS crew was cheering just as loud, but at least there weren't any apathetic Frat Boys like the Dayton game. One large student section sounds like a great idea, because I'm sure some of them feel a little disconnected the farther away they are from everyone else.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Nobody on here may want to hear this, but the loss of Aaman, Powell and Hare may be a blessing in disguise for Mathews, Martin, Butler and even Biruta and Onyekaba. Now they know that they will be playing more and each of them seems to be developing quicker than they might have with less playing time. Mathews has already become a candidate for best player by season's end. Martin is becoming much more confident lately and Onyekaba is starting to feel more at home. Butler was playing Williams on defense at times yesterday and did a good job. We may see more of him before the season is over. I would love to see them incorporate him into the offense and get him more shots and more minutes. I know Dan Huurley doesn't want to give up on the season, but does it really matter if they lose a game because Butler was in and Munford was out a little more? X will be gone and next year has to be the focus. If Butler could improve with more playing time as much as the others have, he could help much more next year.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As much as I/ve advocated for more Bulter PT, Coach can't take the foot off the gas for previews of players for next year......why?..... We gotta salvage what we can this season by avoiding the A-10 dreaded play in game.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I disagree about the sentiment that "next year has to be the focus."

Win today's game. That is goal #1, always.

That being said, Luke, I agree with you completely about individuals on the team improving quicker because of the absence of others. Also concur about Butler yesterday, he did play solidly when he was in the game. No mistakes, decent defense on a dynamic offensive player.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Butler is not the answer. He's seen as a situational player.
He doesn't make many errors, which is good.
I just don't see him as a full time player, unless there's
great off season improvement.
I think that as Luke said, some players have actually benefited by some people being injured or leaving.
Hassan is the biggest beneficiary of this.
On the other hand, the lack of depth has hurt us at the end of games,
especially without a real sub for Biruta, who is always in foul trouble.
I think, win as many games as you can and build the love for winning.
Taking X out in favor of Butler is madness.
JUST WIN, BABY!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Maybe we should go offense/defense at the end of games. X on defense. Butler on O. Probably finish off some of these games.....
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I know its been in very limited action, but I really don't get what anybody is seeing in Butler's 9-23 and 25 total points on the year that would be any kind of an answer.

Clearly he isnt showing enough in practice to prove that he should be out there more. He was a 3* late signee, the same type of player that most people on this board are freaking out about potentially having to settle for in this recruiting cycle. So how is it that this type of player is a disaster for us to be taking on this cycle, but the one that is currently on our roster is supposed to replace our leading scorer?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:I know its been in very limited action, but I really don't get what anybody is seeing in Butler's 9-23 and 25 total points on the year that would be any kind of an answer.

Clearly he isnt showing enough in practice to prove that he should be out there more. He was a 3* late signee, the same type of player that most people on this board are freaking out about potentially having to settle for in this recruiting cycle. So how is it that this type of player is a disaster for us to be taking on this cycle, but the one that is currently on our roster is supposed to replace our leading scorer?
I don't necessarily view this as replacing a leading scorer. The key to the equation is finding a PG, which is looking pretty shaky now. But, if there is good PG play, EC can play 25 minutes at SG and maybe even 5-7 at PG. Butler gets about 15-20 minutes as a guy who can stretch the floor. If that happens, this team becauses WAY better on offense even if there isn't a guy scoring 16 per game replacing X's production.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:I know its been in very limited action, but I really don't get what anybody is seeing in Butler's 9-23 and 25 total points on the year that would be any kind of an answer.

I don't necessarily view this as replacing a leading scorer. The key to the equation is finding a PG, which is looking pretty shaky now. But, if there is good PG play, EC can play 25 minutes at SG and maybe even 5-7 at PG. Butler gets about 15-20 minutes as a guy who can stretch the floor. If that happens, this team becauses WAY better on offense even if there isn't a guy scoring 16 per game replacing X's production.
Well thats a lot different than your original statement of "Maybe we should go offense/defense at the end of games. X on defense. Butler on O. Probably finish off some of these games....."

So now we need much better PG play, as well as Butler to somehow show that he is a threat to stretch the floor.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

PMurph is going to turn Butler into another PMurph, I expect a bunch of progress from Butler.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I have neva suggested Butler is any answer, what I/ve suggested is that some increased PT to really see what he is in live game action. Certainly not to replace the X points. I/ve always liked the off the bench spark in designated three point bomber....mo change..... Get back in games....etc...... Maybe our roster situation does not allow for this in relation to the other priorities..... Which there are a few....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Only the biggest idiot on the planet would
advocate taking X out for offense in favor of Butler.
This moron's hard on for X has now reached an all time low.
Adam, don't waste your time trying to reason with someone with
so obvious an agenda.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Well thats a lot different than your original statement of "Maybe we should go offense/defense at the end of games. X on defense. Butler on O. Probably finish off some of these games....."

So now we need much better PG play, as well as Butler to somehow show that he is a threat to stretch the floor.
I should have been clear about my first one. That was tongue in cheek. Mostly. Don't think Butler is there yet. I do think there is little doubt that X impedes the offense at the end of these games. I know many disagree. More turnovers than assists. 30% from 3. 38% from the field. I get that we don't have any more options and this season is mercifully winding down. But, you have a massively inefficient player (at the bottom of the A10 for all players) and a team that fails close and late. Not too hard to connect the dots.

I just don't view it as we are losing 16 points so we must cobble together 16 from somewhere. It's about maximizing the points you get every time you touch the ball. Rhody will be better next year if only because they can't be worse and they are subtracting a black hole on offense. Get a legit PG and I think enough pieces are there. I get that it's not a popular opinion. But I also don't believe in judging one's fan's bona fides over another, either. Some people take this far too seriously.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

^^^^^^BORING TROLL ALERT!!!^^^^
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Saw Hassan eating Earl alive in practice. Center?
in time.
Same practice where Onyekaba dominated Hare? Or the transfers won by 40?

Rodward and Bernstein. Keep em coming.
THE ONGOING BATTLE FOR TRUTH, JUSTICE, AND THE RAM WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This just in:

Rod and GBG have signed a deal with the WWE, for a death to the loser steel cage match at WrestleMania XXX.

Kind of ironic it's XXX, isn't it?