Game #11: @Detroit - Sunday Dec 7, 2pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #11: @Detroit - Sunday Dec 7, 2pm

Unread post by CT Rhody »

More than anything, extremely disappointed with their transition defensive hustle, so much so I has to turn off the game with about ten minutes left. This was a terrible loss and have a hard time seeing how we turn things around at this point. Luckily we have two weeks off and maybe our effort can change during this window. So much for winning this year so we can approach 2015 recruits with momentum. And Biruta was terrible today to say the least.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

ATP, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
There's been Patriot's talk throughout this thread.

If Butler is one step above a walk on, then why was a scholarship given, when Hurley claims.
"they''re like gold"?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Exactly when will the "future" get here?
This team isn't beating anyone until they start making free throws.
Gil is a backup on a good team. This team needs a lot of players to compete. Nothing presently up front.
I don't care how open the lane is, I don't have faith in a Minnis driving for a layup.
And, Rod's right about Butler. If he's that bad, what's he doing with a scholarship? Shades od Dennis Keenan all over again.
Different year, same team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't know, Rod. I couldn't watch this game, and when I read the box score and then these posts, it's all too obvious this team is a LONG way from being good. There are just so many holes to fill.

Agree with many here, Biruta can play on the offensive end, but doesn't give the same effort on defense. The not getting back stuff, that's on all of them. What's REALLY disappointing is where is the coaching? This shouldn't be happening with a Hurley coached team.

And 8-19 from the line in a 2pt. game? Does this stuff EVER end with this team? I'm having Baron flashbacks all too often lately.

And last but certainly NOT least, we're starting to hear WAY too many excuses for the poor play. I'm sure Dan knows what he's doing, but the message isn't getting through to his players. We are 11 games into the season, and the same crap is happening over and over, with little improvement except occasionally on defense.

These players need to spend the next 2 weeks shooting foul shots. When will a URI team shoot well from the FT line in a close game? WHEN?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's hard to believe they shot 22-24 from the line in a game not too long ago.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BB, it goes to show you that they can do it. It takes concentration, especially on the road.

Dan promised us a "mentally tough" team. Well, we're not seeing it at the FT line, that's for sure.

Over-rated. That's us. It'll be interesting to hear what Dan has to say in his next radio show.

I think the questions need to get a little more pointed.

We have EC and Hassan. That's our future. We need 10 more like them. The rest are just marking time until they're gone. Enough with the transfers, jucos and band aids, Dan. Get us some more 4 year players like them.

I should put as my tag line: 2015-16 or bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I believe that 22-24 game was just an aberration. We are just not a good shooting team. But, there is no excuse for shooting less than 50% in a game. Pee Wee teams shoot it better than that.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

11 games in and we have not won 1 game worth crap. I sure hope we are going to hear great things on the recruiting trail in the next year or two. EC is going to be real good. Need more though.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramfan85 wrote:Exactly when will the "future" get here?
This team isn't beating anyone until they start making free throws.
Gil is a backup on a good team. This team needs a lot of players to compete. Nothing presently up front.
I don't care how open the lane is, I don't have faith in a Minnis driving for a layup.
And, Rod's right about Butler. If he's that bad, what's he doing with a scholarship? Shades od Dennis Keenan all over again.
Different year, same team.
I actually liked watching last years team much better than this years team. Last year, our team played with heart, emotion and left everything they had on the court, we just lacked talent to compete at the A10 level. I thought this was a direct reflection on how Dan wanted to establish a culture of winning, without taking any shortcuts. Combine that with the supposed influx of talent we were expecting this year and I thought the program was going to be positioned to make a run at a potential ncaa appearance, with an NIT appearance as the more realistic goal. This year, we play with no heart, no structure, no adjustments, no sense of urgency, no leadership and the chemistry (10 games into the season) is non existent. On top of that, our talent to me is just marginally better than what we had last year. I will still contribute to the program and make my 4-5 visits a year to the Ryan Center, but the excitement and enthusiasm I had for the resurgence of URI basketball has completely vanished. The only good thing about not playing the next 2 weeks is that I'm guaranteed to not get dissapointed, I need an emotional break from this team.
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Tough Loss. Really hard to understand the poor FT shooting. But quick question...with 8 seconds left when Biruta got fouled, did the ball go in, and if so, why wouldn't the basket count? I don't see how it could be before the shot...
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Just think of how Jon Rothstein feels now after he predicted a 20 win season for the Rams.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our recruiting results over the next 2 critical years, could be adversely affected if we don't show some substantial improvement, and soon.

If we get hammered in A10 play, which is beginning to look more and more likely, that's not going to help.

And as Rod has said, losing Bobby seems to have had a negative effect already.

In spite of all this, I STILL think we're going to get there someday. And the reason I say that, is that Dan must now realize just how hard it's going to be, to get there. I don't see him leaving now, until the job is done. This rebuild is going to make his Wagner deal look like child's play.

Strap in for the long haul, guys.

Obs, Jon got sucked into the hype, too. We all did.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RF1 wrote:It is now abundantly clear that this will be another lost season with respect to record. This team will not finish .500. It is not about the now but the future.

We were all sold a boatload of crap with the hype for this team. The talent is not there in the present tense. I wouldn't have been so disappointed with the way this season has played out if I hadn't been given false hope. I hold Hurley and the media responsible as they really misled us.
This is exactly how I feel. I said it in earlier threads...either we were flat out lied to, or Hurley doesn't know bleep about talent. Either way this sucks...every game that passes makes we think the loss of Bobby might be a big part of the problem.

I also went player by player earlier, and stated I don't think this team has more talent than last years; I really want to be proved wrong on this!
Last edited by RIFan 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have a hard stance on DH of wait and see. Dont want to condemn him or any of the players yet.

His players get beat down the floor consistently ?? can't figure out that you have to beat the other team down the floor on defense?

Especially when you suck and every possession matters? We spot opposing teams at least 10 points by allowing them to run down the floor ahead of us and then us miss so many free throws.

DH URI legacy might end up being mediocre .500 teams but at least facilities upgrade. The new locker rooms and floor look great. Athlete training facilities were a long time coming too.

His body of work is expanding every game and it looks like 14-26 so far.

Also the talk of last years team vs this years team????? last year the guys on the team had shown some more success than the guys here; Andre Malone did more at Auburn than biggie and JR did at their schools. I like Biggie but its true.

Nik did more in his career than Jr has. Outerbridge was probably more talented than the front court guys we have now but he wanted to be like Channing Frye or something.

I hope they turn it around. Just doesn't look good December 8th when your awful and you also had a trip overseas to get better.

Discouraging for sure.

Count me as a guy that would rather avoid European recruits going forward also. Unless it is Levan Shengalia, that kid was a Stallion, for him at times, I sit and wonder "what could have been."
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rambone 78 wrote:Our recruiting results over the next 2 critical years, could be adversely affected if we don't show some substantial improvement, and soon.

If we get hammered in A10 play, which is beginning to look more and more likely, that's not going to help.
The honeymoon is over, and every crap game makes recruiting harder...which is just going to make this rebuild take longer; very disappointing. I have a feeling a lot of recruits have taken a wait and see approach to the staff, and that's part of the reason it's been so quite.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, the lack of hustle getting back on defense is TOTALLY unacceptable, at ANY level of competition.

I thought those days were over when JB left town. I was wrong.

RIFan, I was going to change my name on here to Mr. Positive.

After what I've seen so far, forget it.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Anytime I have seen VCU play in the Ryan( which I think is 2), they have snatched the ball out of the net and tried to get down the floor faster than us after a made basket. URI is in for a nightmare in Richmond if they don't at least bother to keep pace with the other team TRANSITIONING from offense to defense. strange problem to have at that level.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We are NOT what our record says we are, we are worse......and didn't we hear that these players that could only practice last year would routinely beat last years group....??..at this trending, rather than knocking on the door of the A-10 upper 1/3 tier(my expectation)we are busting the door down to the lower 1/3 tier......disappointing to say the least....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know this is an overreaction, but...can we get Rutgers to reconsider Hurley? I really feel betrayed by him, the staff and the media. An important part of having happy customers is expectation setting...example of what not to do: over promise and under deliver...ie, the past year with Hurley.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, reports were of the transfer group routinely outscoring last year's team by 20-30 points in practice games.

We now know, that was a bunch of crap.

Anybody who could read between the lines, from the scores in Italy, to the stats of the transfers coming in, could see that this year's team wasn't what we thought they were. I had my doubts, but held them under wraps, because Dan told us we'd be good. He really didn't go out of his way to temper people's expectations of a probable 20 win season this year.

I don't know what's worse, our crappy play, or being misled.

Rod, Dan has told you not to worry. About what? Our play right now? Recruiting? Talent?

Specifically, what? I think it's time to worry. Please spare me the "oh they're too young" part.

I don't care what talent they have, it doesn't take talent to at least HUSTLE playing defense.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

WAIT! Shengalia was a punk and a piece of shit of a player. Stallion?
More like a gelding.
Shenglia was working in a bar against NCAA rules, while in school on a scholarship.
Pining for Shengalia is mindboggling!
Outerbridge? What does he have to do with anything? He was a senior on a 5-26 team!

Now, back to the real world.....
Bobby was laid back and funny. He was good cop to Dan's heavy.
Nobody on this staff has Bobby's gravitas. He was a superstar and a calling card
for recruits.
It's going to be interesting to see who has the better D-1 coaching career.
Yes, as the song by The Kills is titled, "The Future is Slow."
I think when Dan said,
"I think I may have gotten everyone's expectations too high." it was a signal that
maybe he didn't have the goods to deliver what all of us thought would happen.
The mediocre recruiting cycle we're in, following last fall's boffo one,
and that's a concern.
I pointedly asked Dan, if he had enough shooting. He said he did.
I asked him about lack of signings, and he said, "Don't worry,"
Is he just a glass half full guy, or doesn't realize what his team consists of?
This is the first time I really find myself wondering just how long this
rebuilding process will take?
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: Count me as a guy that would rather avoid European recruits going forward also. Unless it is Levan Shengalia, that kid was a Stallion, for him at times, I sit and wonder "what could have been."
This is the dumbest thing said in the history of this message board. Congrats.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you!
Optimistic +10
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So we only have openings for two new players next season (maybe three), and one of them we know is for a highly athletic JC forward (not a scorer)....and, we lose our top player. Unless Dan can sign two fantastic recruits who can contribute a bunch right away, and the returning players who have already been in the system for over a year at this point, improve dramatically...next year is going to suck too!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Was there a Hare sighting at the game???
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought I saw Hare behind the basket wearing a brown jacket. I could be wrong.

Without Munford, low 3 point shooting % or not, we'd lose to
Metro, and God know who else.
Without replacing him with a reasonable facsimile, means
A. We have almost no perimeter game.
B. We lose by forcing EC to play the SG.
So, you'd have EC at SG, Biggie at PG with Powell, Butler and
TJ as your backcourt. Scary. EC should be much improved, since the biggest jump usual
happens after freshman year. Biggie? I like him, but your PG can't be a bricklayer at the
foul line. TJ is TJ, and will contribute where needed. Butler? Who knows.
Powell, we've seen for three years. We know what he is and isn't capable of doing.
Up front, you'll have The Big Slow Gil, Oneykaba, Martin, Watson and Reischel.
Martin has a huge upside. Oneykaba will improve. Watson adds muscle and athleticism.
So, the frontcourt should be better through maturity and adding Watson.
It all comes down to finding a real scorer-shooter to replace X.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I gave myself a few hours before posting. Okay, today I watched two bad teams play. There is no other way to put it. How can a division one team shoot 8-19 from the free throw line? My opinion is that they are so lacking in confidence. They can shoot 22-24 against a team when they believe they are by far the superior team. against a team of equal or better talent they are so tight they can't shoot from the field or the free throw line. I think some of the turnovers are a result of the same mind frame. If they could ever start a game loose and hot, they might be able to turn things around. Their offense often produces easy shots which they continually miss. To me they are just too anxious. There is not enough leadership on the floor to calm everybody down. If you look at it, if they had been able to shoot fts at even an average rate they would have won three in a row and would be 9-2 instead of 6-5. They haven't played all that well in any game, but with normal ft. shooting they would be 9-2. I guess that is what makes them a bad team instead of a good team. They need a shot of confidence quick. I think they are going to have to get a little lucky to turn it around, or maybe hire a motivational psychologist to help them relax and play their game. They better do something fast because I can't take anymore unwatchable games like they played today. It hurt too much to watch.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Can't wait to be at the UNH game in two weeks.
You could probably take archery practice in The Ryan Center and not hit anyone.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

WHY can't a URI team makes free throws? WHY?? It's not just one guy. It's ALL of them!

Somebody ask Dan. Pul-eese.

We're going to lose every close game this year, if we don't start making them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, when Bobby left, I had a bad feeling.

That hasn't changed. He was the star Hurley on the court. Kids look up to that. Especially guards, the most important position in college BB.

I'm sure Dan knows guard play, he was one himself. It's the recruiting end that's the big concern. Having Bobby here might have been the difference for a guy like Terrell. We can only guess, but it's an educated one.

Just another reason to temper our expectations going forward. Next fall and the following spring's recruiting, will tell just how far this program will go, for the next few years at least. 2015-16 is everything for us.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rumor has it Terrell was looking for something we couldn't give him.
I have said losing Bobby was not to be underestimated, for
a lot of reasons.
Whatever the case, this process is going to take longer than any of us
thought.
Nobody was more optimistic about Hurley than I was.
He can still get this turned around, but he's got a lot of work to do.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I have mentioned L Shengalia a few times. It mostly stems from a time I was drinking on the deck at the Landing in Newport. Felt like he was inclined to beat up everyone in the bar. Thats all. I thought he was an awful player, I was not serious. Just in shock at how long our program was bad and seems to be sticking with the same path.

IMHO the program and team seems to be in for a long haul toward being a respectable A10 basketball team. It's too bad.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry SPG. There's no tone in writing.
Shengalia also worked at some bar as a bouncer, so
you weren't far off on what you felt at the Landing.
We've been worse than now, but in light of expectations,
it makes where we're at now, seem worse than before.
I think the other angle is, last year's team was in so many games,
and hung tough against superior teams.
We all felt, "Wow! With even one more good player, how good would 2012-13
have been?"
Then we heard the accolades of the transfers and recruits.
So, now we have the talent to go with the coaching.
Maybe the talent was overrated or the coaching, or a combination of both?
Time will tell.
I think we have some building blocks in Matthews, Martin and Oneykaba,
but you need much more to accomplish the goals set forth by Thorr, Dan and everyone else.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yes! certainly difficult to convey tone. Still Go Rhody!

I have to hope for the best now because I had my fill of bemoaning the coach in the last 10 years. I would like to praise our coach for a little bit.

Still have to wait for some good things to happen on the court though.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Martin, O, and EC are absolutely building blocks but the decision to go with a patchwork of transfers and JUCOs is really looking like the wrong one. I'd rather have just taken a few seasons (looks like we are anyway) on the chin and build freshman class on top of freshman class. Now, 2014 is a lone JUCO barring a late signee. Not looking good.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I agree that losing Bobby hurt recruiting. I also think the uncertainty of the conference hurts. Losing some of our top teams last year and probably more next year hurts. I'm sure coaches of other programs recruiting the same player stress it to the recruits.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hurley to KMac:
“It’s been excruciating these last three,” Hurley said. “They’re tough games. We’re starting over with a new group, minus (Munford), and now they are experiencing these brutal losses. The guys that experienced the tough ones last year are gone. Now it comes down to the turnovers, some really bad fouls and you can’t shoot 8 of 19 on the road from the line and expect to win the game.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, couldn't agree more.

Rod, wonder what Terrell wanted? The keys to the farm? :P

Rod again: sorry but those quotes from Dan sound like more excuses to me. I know he knows all about it, but damn it, get them to stop with the putrid defense [especially Gil] and shoot FT's better!

My guess is, the lack of on court leadership is killing this team right now. EC might be the guy, but it's going to take time.
Last edited by rambone 78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He wanted the rights to rebroadcast and/or reproduce,without written permission,
all MLB broadcasts.
We couldn't do that.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like those FBI warnings at the beginning of tapes and DVD's?

Every time I see that, I get scared. NOT.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this game, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, is prohibited"
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Any rebroadcasts of our games should be prohibited, period.

One nightmare per should be all that is allowed.

Some people count sheep to get to sleep.

We count bricks, as in FT's.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Confidence is lacking and gets worse with each loss. It almost seems that they are playing tight, and not to loose...instead of playing lose and with a killer instinct.
Last edited by RIFan 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

KMac was saying X was playing more comfortably than at any
point in the season.
He played a hell of a game. He got to 22 points and never saw the ball again.
Minnis taking the last shot?
I think whatever Biruta got on the offensive end, he gave up even more at the other end.
That foul he made on the Detroit player going out of bounds was ridiculous.
Again, I ask.....why doesn't he play with his hands up, instead of by his side?
Rebounds are up there, over your head, not down by your knees.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree that confidence seems to be a major issue with this team. Confidence is so important in playing to one's potential and winning games.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am not as down as some - there are good parts here that can be worked with. The obvious missing part is a shooter
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Wrestling has the Big Show, we have the Big Slow.
I don't think many were real excited about the other transfers when they were announced. But, we thought Hurley knew something we didn't. Guess not.
I think I'm too old to ever see the end of this rebuilding process (I really hate that word).
Maybe we should change our name from the Rams to the Rebuilders.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:KMac was saying X was playing more comfortably than at any
point in the season.
He played a hell of a game. He got to 22 points and never saw the ball again.
Minnis taking the last shot?
I think whatever Biruta got on the offensive end, he gave up even more at the other end.
That foul he made on the Detroit player going out of bounds was ridiculous.
Again, I ask.....why doesn't he play with his hands up, instead of by his side?
Rebounds are up there, over your head, not down by your knees.
Rod it drove me crazy in the PC game to see Biruta actually getting in good position and jumping up and grabbing rebounds at times. I mean it was good to see for the moment, but it drove me crazy to see that he has that in him and for whatever reason chose only that one game to do it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder if Dan is afraid to tell Biruta to put his hands up on defense. You know, about the most fundamental thing you can do on defense. Along with leaving his man wide open.

Does he owe him something for coming here?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Biruta has had years of DHurley coaching, maybe he is waiting to unleash on the A10 ;) :roll: :roll: :roll: