Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hurley has preached about having the right players from day one.
He always mentions character and work ethic.
Sure, he signed off on Hare after he got here. Like he had much choice, given
the state of the roster and what he had to deal with?
It's not a Michigan thing. Nor will the way staff recruits change, because
it will be the right fit, before ratings. Why do you think they backed off
Woodson this spring? A top 50 talent, but one with some well known baggage.
Nothing will change because of this episode, and as BFC said, Hare won't be the last
player to leave URI.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

NJ03 wrote:Is Hare that last true Baron-era recruit?
There's still TJ
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URI96 wrote:
There's still TJ
And Powell right?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not to get this off topic, but regarding Pedroia, here's a bit from Baseball America.
He was rated 6th in the Sox organization, when he broke in. That means five were better thought of.
I saw him at Pawtucket, and he was a nice player, but nobody ever figured he'd be a world beater.
So, let's dispense with the revisionist,"He has Bruce Lee reflexes , and can see behind his head" nonsense.
Note the words, "lack of pure tools", "over achieving prospect", "physical limitations", "doesn't have blazing speed"
"Isn't expected to have much of a threat on the basepaths". Most praise comes on his hitting.
To say his perception as a player of lesser gifts and hard work and fundamentals is a product of lazy writers, and he is not an overachiever is absurd.
Show me ONE report projecting him as a future MVP or All Star, and I'll eat it.

"#41 college prospect according to Baseball America. #30 college prospect by TeamOneBaseball. 3rd-team preseason All-American by BA. Shorter, over-achieving prospect that has drawn comparisons to David Eckstein. Pedroia's size & lack of pure tools keep him from being ranked higher on most scouting lists. Despite his physical limitations, Pedroia has produced at every level, including his performance for Team USA Baseball last summer in which he hit .294 while anchoring the middle infield. He projects as a top of the lineup type of hitter as he exhibits an oustanding eye at the plate as exhibited by his 81 to 36 BB to K ratio during his college career (through March 24, 2004). He has also hit for a high average, hitting .404 as a sophomore, and has surprising pop for a player his size. He doesn't have blazing speed, and isn't expected to be much of a threat on the basepaths, but he is a smart baserunner overall. Defensively, he doesn't have the ideal range yet he continues to make play after play. Pedroia would seem to be a solid target by one of the performance-based scouting teams early in the draft."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TJ Buchanan and Mike Powell were from the Baron era. But we need to put things in perspective. I don't think it is quite fair to blame Hare on Baron or the Baron Era. URI was recruiting Jordan throughout his HS Career starting with the 9th grade. Hurley did not have to take Hare. He did not have to take Preston Murphy either - but he did. Hurley watched Hare play in Michigan and he visited him there. Sure he came in late as most all Coaches do when they take a new job - you are always going to be in that position in April or May - you either try to get some kids you previously recruited to switch from your former school (Wagner in this case - which is how we got Aaman) or you try to keep those who had already committed to URI from the former regime. I am sure that if Hurley had NOT hired Preston then Hare would not have come to URI. Baron is long gone.

Hare had offers from more than six schools, including Michigan and Michigan State, but chose the Rams.
Some of the comfort level comes from Rhode Island assistant coach Preston Murphy, a Saginaw native who played for Nouvel Catholic Central and Rhode Island.
"Rhode Island has been kind of recruiting me since ninth grade, so there was that familiarity," Hare said. "Plus Coach Murphy is from Saginaw, so that made it even more comfortable."
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/ ... ball-team/

Hare signed his National Letter of Intent to attend Rhode Island. The 6-10, 205 lb. native of Saginaw, Mich. is ranked as the 30th-best power forward and 120th-best player in the class of 2012, according to Rivals.com. He averaged 19.0 points, 10.0 rebounds, and 5.0 blocks this past season head coach Greg McMath at Arthur Hill H.S. Hare helped lead the squad to a 16-6 overall record, advancing to the third round of the Michigan Class A Championship. He was named to the Saginaw News’ 2011-12 Basketball Dream Team and was a two-time Associated Press All-Michigan selection. Hare registered 19.0 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 4.0 blocks as a junior.
“Jordan was a much sought-after player from BCS schools,” Hurley stated. “He has the height, athleticism, talent, and upside we are looking for in a true freshman.”
http://coxsportsonline.com/2012/04/hare ... ds-biruta/

I like Jordan Hare and I am deeply disappointed that I will not see him play tonight but wish him the very best. I very much would like to see him suit up in our new uni's before too long. He is a nice kid, friendly, funny, charismatic, a very good rebounder, shot blocker and a gazelle running the floor. For sure I always expected him in the starting line up from Day 1 this year. Best wishes, we will miss you :) :) .
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Reality....have you watched a Tom Izzo team?
His front lines are always physical monsters, who kill for rebounds.
Did you see Michigan last year?
Do you really think Hare could have even made either roster, when he struggled
mightily at URI?
He also didn't play AAU ball, which is a real negative for most schools.
I'm sure he's a good kid, and has many fine qualities, but not everyone has
the proverbial "Eye of The Tiger".
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Reality....have you watched a Tom Izzo team?
His front lines are always physical monsters, who kill for rebounds.
Did you see Michigan last year?
Do you really think Hare could have even made either roster, when he struggled
mightily at URI?
He also didn't play AAU ball, which is a real negative for most schools.
I'm sure he's a good kid, and has many fine qualities, but not everyone has
the proverbial "Eye of The Tiger".
Rod, those words about Michigan and Michigan State were from the articles that I attached when he originally verbaled. He did play AAU Basketball but not in the year between his Jr and Sr Year in HS - and if he had it would have been tougher for URI to land him. Don't know how he would have done at Michigan or Michigan State - just know that they offered. He also had offers from UCONN, Missouri, Alabama, Stanford, USC. PC was recruiting him but I don't recall if they offered or not.

I was very much looking forward to seeing Jordan play this year. I believe that Big Men take longer to develop than Point Guards, Shooting Guards and Small Forwards. Power Forwards take longer but Centers take the longest - there are exceptions of course. I would disagree that he "struggled mightily" last year. Depends on how you look at it I suppose. I saw a guy who showed glimpses of very nice potential. I would love to see him playing for URI as a Junior and Senior as well.

April 8, 2010
Brian Snow
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Staff Analyst
For the first time all summer AAU teams will be out in full force. Though there have been some tournaments over the past few weeks, this weekend marks the first big weekend of play. Leading the way on this busy weekend is the Boo Williams Invitational which features the nation's top prospect, Mike Gilchrist.
AAU coaches, players, and parents all around the country are going to have a busy weekend for the first time in a long time. With the Final Four complete and the month of April in full swing, the AAU circuit is now ready to kick into high gear. This weekend there are six big time tournaments taking place.
Maybe the biggest sleeper of all on the national level is Jordan Hare. Coming from Saginaw Arthur Hill High School, Hare has drawn a lot of attention from college coaches, but he isn't yet on the radar of most fans. He is a huge 2012 power forward who could have offers from coast-to-coast before it is all said and done, and he will be touring with the Michigan Hurricanes.
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/ ... ID=1072598
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Can't disagree with you too much, Ramster.
Still, you know from reading the recruiting site here,
offers aren't always solid, "come to our school"commitments.
They gauge a certain interest, but beyond that, who knows?
Hey, I wish he'd stayed and become the player some here feel he could become.
I wish every one of our players has a wonderful, memorable career here.
The more productive the player, the better our team is.
For some, if happens, for some, it doesn't.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We know....we know.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah, my bad Rod, I thought there was some opinion/insight contained within the piece, but it was in Goodman's tweets only. He seems to think it hurts, Rothstein seems to think it doesn't.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rothstein is way more plugged in than Goodman regarding URI stuff.
Zags is the best, though.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/break ... ball-team/

So, he's still going to school but not playing basketball? That's a little weird, isn't it? I'm not sure how that helps his problems back in Michigan....unless, of course, the hacks from golocalprov have it wrong.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Italy Summary and thoughts on the Starting Line Up
Starting Line Ups in Italy
Game 1: Hare, Buchanan, Powell, Munford, Biruta
Game 2: Mathews, Martin, Minnis, Onyekaba, Butler
Game 3: Hare, Mathews, Martin, Minnis, Buchanan
Nobody started all 3 games. 4 guys started 2 games including Hare, Mathews, Martin, Minnis and Buchanan

Biruta had a monster performance in Game 2 with 22 points and 12 rebounds for a double-double
Hare had the best overall statistics over all 3 games:
- Game 1: 11 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal in only 20 minutes of play for a double-double
- Game 2: 8 points, 8 rebounds
- Game 3: 27 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks for a double-double

I was impressed by Hare last year and very impressed with his performance so far this year. Consider he is only a Sophomore!!
Big men come along slower than PG, SG and Small Forwards - Centers are the slowest to develop so to see Hare leading the team in rebounds and in scoring in Italy is impressive to me. The teams in Italy play physical inside as well but Jordan more than held his own in the rebounding and shot blocking departments.
I would love to see him return to the team later this year - and really look forward to his Junior and Senior seasons as well.
I expect EC Mathews to start from the beginning - he is THAT good and everyone on the team knows it.

Based on Italy and my opinion I have predicted a starting line up of:
Mathews
Hare
Biruta
Munford
Minnis or Martin - I leaned towards Minnis

Now without Hare:
Mathews
Biruta
Munford
Martin
Minnis or Buchanan or Onyekaba - now I lean toward Onyekaba at Center. I like the comments made by Pivuz from Italy - without Jordan we will need Iffy in the middle I think.

Game 1: URI vs Indiana Pesre. URI wins 92-87
05 MUNFORD, Xavier 26 points, 2 rebounds
04 HARE, Jordan 11 points, 11 rebounds
02 REISCHEL, Jarelle 11 points, 3 rebounds
00 MATTHEWS, E.C. 10 points, 2 rebounds
12 MARTIN, Hassan 10 points, 5 rebounds
01 POWELL, Mike 7 points
55 BIRUTA, Gilvydas 6 points, 6 rebounds
11 BUTLER, Matthew 5 points
14 ONYEKABA, Ifeanyi 4 points, 1 rebound
13 BUCHANAN, T.J. 2 points, 1 rebound
10 MINNIS, Biggie 2 points

Game 2: URI vs Vicenza All Stars. URI wins 91-79
55 BIRUTA, Gilvydas 22 points, 12 rebounds
10 MINNIS, Biggie 11 points, 3 assists
01 POWELL, Mike 10 points,3 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
14 ONYEKABA, Ifeanyi 10 points, 6 rebound, 1 block, 1 steal
04 HARE, Jordan 8 points, 8 rebounds
00 MATTHEWS, E.C. 8 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks - EC Mathews received the Game MVP Award
05 MUNFORD, Xavier ?
02 REISCHEL, Jarelle ?
12 MARTIN, Hassan ?
11 BUTLER, Matthew ?
13 BUCHANAN, T.J. ?

Game 3: URI vs Varese All Stars. URI wins 112-89
04 HARE, Jordan 27 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks. He was 12-15 fg attempts.
00 MATTHEWS, E.C. 23 points, 4 assists
10 MINNIS, Biggie 15 points
01 POWELL, Mike 12 points, 8 rebounds
05 MUNFORD, Xavier ?
02 REISCHEL, Jarelle ?
12 MARTIN, Hassan ?
55 BIRUTA, Gilvydas ?
11 BUTLER, Matthew ?
14 ONYEKABA, Ifeanyi ?
13 BUCHANAN, T.J. ?

from Pivuz....................his unbiased observations from Game 2
Hi everyone, I am the Italian guy from my-basket.it who wrote about the Rams' game in Vicenza. A friend of mine told me you were discussing about that so I wanted to give you the real translation about the part of the article you were discussing about.
Finally arrived in Vicenza I start to follow the pre-game warm up and immediately I can notice the hand of Dan Hurley, players follow a precise routine that alternates athletic work and tactics. Dan does not need to say anything, his assistants just say a word or two, players have already printed the whole routine in the brain.
The game starts quickly after and the atmosphere is the one of a big party, as it should be in an event like this, but this does not preclude an intense and fun match, even coach Hurley in fact takes the match very seriously and also provides some arguments with the referees. Rhode Island wins by 12, 91-79, but only in the last seconds, after the comeback of Vicenza All-Star Team, has managed to put the game on ice thanks to the plays made by the usual Xavier Munford, a player that can reach maximum speed after the first step and offensively very complete: he really knows how to score in every possible way, around or far from the rim, even with the fade-away shot. Obviously it’s not all roses for the Rams, the point guard Mike Powell has managed to combine very little and showed enormous limitations in both construction of the action and finalization. The same thing goes for Jordan Hare, 6-10 wing that is too lightweight to use power moves and technically too rough to overcome their opponents in post.
The happier notes come from Gilvydas Biruta and freshman E.C. Matthews. The former Rutgers’ junior wing showed everyone that is possible to make the difference even without touching the ball too. Biruta has impeccable technique in the post, he always knows how to position to make his teammates better and catch a rebound. EC Matthews instead is the real gem of the team: he is a true freshman but is already a leader, his teammates always look for him and he perfectly knows how to do everything on the court: he is the first to go on the break and the first to get back on defense, has a great shot from outside and when he goes in the paint he knows how to finish strong at the rim, he can find the basket in an acrobatic way or even find an open teammate. Matthews is a key player in defense also, in fact, despite being a 6-4 guard, he made a couple of big blocks. The MVP award he was given is well deserved.
Ifeanyi Onyekaba deserves an honorable mention. He jumps high and with great timing, is an incredible shot-blocker and no one can limit him in rebounding also because of his size. He’s physically unbelievable, do know the Riace Warriors bronze statues? Perfect, you add two or three of those statues, add more muscles and you’ll the body of this guy. If in the next years in Rhode Island he succeed to acquire more conviction and anger in attacking the rim as well as some other defensive movement we could be in front of an amazing player, a big man as dominant as Bryant Dunston and Gani Lawal respectively in Varese and Rome last year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think I'm still confused as to where the Hare as academic liability talk is coming from. The only people who have mentioned that are rjsuperfly66 and GBG. We're all concerned about potential APR hit, but that is different.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm still trying to make my way through Ramster's posting.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Tl;dr
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gotta love it that our friends to the north have a thread on Hare.
According to them, we lost Bill Walton-Hakeem Olajuon wrapped into one.
They're saying this will be our excuse when we play them. Really?
I'll bet the only game they saw Hare play was against PC.
That used to happen back when. Some URI player, not a star, would
have a nice game against them, and their fans thought that player was our best.
Sorry, in baseball they call that a small sample size.
Wonder why we didn't have a thread on Sidikki Johnson leaving, and saying what a great loss
that was? I doubt any of us would be qualified to comment on that.
Bottom line is, fan bases know their players and team better than outsiders.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Well, if PC loses, they've got an excuse. It appears Kris Dunn hurt the same shoulder in the RIC game today. It's the same shoulder that kept him out of the beginning of last season.
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, that's rough, don't want to see that for anyone. Tough couple of exhibition games injury-wise for Rhode Island teams.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Gotta love it that our friends to the north have a thread on Hare.
According to them, we lost Bill Walton-Hakeem Olajuon wrapped into one.
They're saying this will be our excuse when we play them. Really?
I'll bet the only game they saw Hare play was against PC.
That used to happen back when. Some URI player, not a star, would
have a nice game against them, and their fans thought that player was our best.
Sorry, in baseball they call that a small sample size.
Wonder why we didn't have a thread on Sidikki Johnson leaving, and saying what a great loss
that was? I doubt any of us would be qualified to comment on that.
Bottom line is, fan bases know their players and team better than outsiders.
Rod,you are right in that Sidikki Johnson was a big loss at the time last year for pc they had no depth at the position at the time but i think Cooley made the right decision in letting him go in that he did not want to buy in to the system. Most of the posts I saw on that board were talking about the potential Hare had .If he was a detriment to the team chemistry like Johnson was then you are better off . However after seeing Biruta and Dunne go down to injury depth becomes a big issue
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry to hear about Dunn. I hope he's going to be OK.
Rival or not, no real fan wants anyone to get hurt.
So much talent and snake bitten by injuries.
As for Hare/Johnson, the disruption of team stability can't
be underestimated or tolerated.
Funny thing, Sidikki Johnson was once a Dan Hurley player at
St. Benedicts. He said at the time of Johnson's becoming eligible,
that if Ed Cooley couldn't help him, nobody could.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's like "Days of Our Lives" or some other soap opera.
His situation isn't going to disappear, so this will be an
ongoing drama.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, at least he acknowledges three things: 1) Life is tough; 2) he's taking care of his family; and, 3) he's attempting to fulfill his schoolwork. Also, he has a goal. I'd rather see that than see him on the court and everything else is chaos. Welcome to the World.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I give up trying to figure this out.

Also, not that it matters much now, but I deleted many of my previous posts on this subject. I'm leaving the reporting to the pros. To say this is a complicated and sensitive situation is an understatement. Could I juggle these major issues at Hare's age?

Sometimes I can forget these are students and young adults trying to get through life.

Before someone thinks or says it: No "they" didn't get to me.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Me or Hare or Obamacare?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

His last sentence is the most optimistic of any news we have heard. At least we know the kid would really like to get back to RI. From what I saw of him in a team environment he was well liked and had a presence. I am in the camp that his potential is well worth our continued investment in him. Ask Jim Calhoun about the importance of a shot blocker in the scheme of team defense.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I give up trying to figure this out.
yeah I agree, at this point im just hoping for the best for all parties involved. I just have no idea what that is.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Endless melodrama, likely to rear its head in the future.
It's still a disruption of the team, its chemistry on and off the court,
and a strain on the coaching staff.
As for shot blockers, name ONE Coach K ever had.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

So Rod, you are opposed to a Hare return?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Endless melodrama, likely to rear its head in the future.
It's still a disruption of the team, its chemistry on and off the court,
and a strain on the coaching staff.
As for shot blockers, name ONE Coach K ever had.
Shelden Williams averaged over 3 blocks a game and was national defensive player of the year.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Either shit or get off the pot.
In or out.
I want him on the team for many basketball reasons, but not if he has one foot out the door,
when something in Saginaw or wherever happens.
This has to be a disruption in some way to his teammates, although
they likely wouldn't admit it.
It's an unstable situation, at best.
Whether it solidifies in the future, remains to be seen.
Adam, you name ONE guy in all of coach K's years. OK.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Adam, you name ONE guy in all of coach K's year. OK.
Oh sorry, I thought that was the question! :D

I do agree with you on Hare. I just want it resolved one way or the other, but I'd like to have him back on the team.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You got me, because I was recalling the NCAA winners at Duke.
Williams was highly regarded coming out of high school.
He was Duke's top shot blocker and rebounder ever.
They didn't win any of their NCAAs with him.
He's been a total flop in the NBA and he's in Europe now.
A number 5 choice, and not much.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

If the issues facing Jordan are the same as those reported last year, then leaving school is a big step. Hopefully he resolves the issues well enough to attend school and graduate here, or somewhere else.

.....I was impressed with Martin's game. Likewise Oneykaba in the post.
.....It looked like the forecourt rotation used against SCSU was Oneykaba-Aaman in the post, Biruta-Martin as the 4, Reischelle as the 3 ,unless he used three guards.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

CT, now his returning moves Aaman down the bench, and when he comes back,
roles change on offense and defense.
Like I said, disruption of chemistry.
My main concern is, how can his situation ever be resolved?
I'm guessing it probably won't, and will resurface at some point in the future.
If his return is fine with the staff, they're the ones getting paid to make these
decisions. I don't envy them in this case.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He sounds like a kid trying to sort his many obligations out. At 21, I was married, but I had graduated already, so I only had to worry about finding a job. No kids, no school obligations, no Div. 1 obligations. It's tough for anyone to handle, so I'm not going to judge.

He showed enough promise that I'd like to see him back, but he's go to be all in. I trust the coaches will be the best judge of whether he is or not.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I liked what I saw of Jordan last year. He was a freshman who had a lot of potential that I was hoping to see this year and next. Life makes you make difficult decisions and it appears his family is first as it should be. Very admirable. I hope the URI family is helping him as much as they can. I also hope he can work things out so they include playing and graduating from URI.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rod, u cite coach k, i cite calhoun who had elite shot blockers on every one of his championship teams. i dont think it can be discounted as bad defense is all I am saying, a smart shot blocker is a force that can change the game and entire philosophy of an offense. we both saw what kenny green could do and it wreaked havoc on opposing teams, i dont remember kenny for his low post fundamental defense, i remember him for his game altering blocks. so IMO its a valuable asset for a team to have in most cases.

i agree the Hare situ is a strain but my guess is moreso on the coaches than the players. the guys prob want their teammate back but are going to do their jobs whether he is there or not. from a lineup and chemistry standpoint his in and out status is a major disruption since building chemistry is likely DHs tallest task for this season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is it possible to redshirt someone for a situation like this?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Is it possible to redshirt someone for a situation like this?
It's possible for a player to redshirt for personal reasons.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Is it possible to redshirt someone for a situation like this?
It's possible for a player to redshirt for personal reasons.
This would end the distraction of whether or not he's coming back this year. And, hopefully, a year from now, his situation is more stable. I have to admit, I have no idea what his personal situation is, so whether or not it can be resolved is a mystery to me.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That's the thing, though. If a single season not playing but still being in school can help resolve the problem, it can make sense to redshirt. That's what Hurley himself did. If the issues, for any player, are such that they can be reoccurring in a way that can't be managed or better resolved by being in a different place, then no.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:Adam, you name ONE guy in all of coach K's years. OK.
The immortal Cherokee Parks also averaged 2+ blocks per game, as did Elton Brand his sophomore year before leaving for the NBA. Coach K doesn't seem to have an aversion to shot blockers, I just imagine that Duke normally plays three to five really good athletes at all times, leading to more steals, blocks and forced turnovers amongst the whole team, as opposed to trying to force offensive players toward one dominant shot blocker.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If he's back, the coaches will figure out how, when to use him, bring him back into the program under the team rules etc, and coaches knowing his expected role in the program. If he's gone, or additional leave time they/ll also calculate the loss and move on......the focus will be preparation for the A-10 season and being the best we can be with or without him......as such, I/ve moved on.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A Cherokee Parks reference, that is fantastic! I loved him and his floppy hair.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BAR, Kenny Green was a complete player, on both ends of the floor.
So were Parks and Brand.
Hare is far from that, at this point. That takes us back to the eternal potential vs. performance debate.
Speaking of real shot blockers, Yinka Dare has passed away.
Some of us recall the monster center for GWU, who was a scary
college player, and killed us for his time at GW.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It looks like my sources at Alpine were at least partially right after all. Jordan certainly wants to come back, and it looks like he will at some point. Let's just hope that if/when he does, his situation will remain stable at least through the end of this season.