New Uniforms

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Re: New Uniforms

Unread post by Rhodekill »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhodekill wrote:Guys we have a fantastic history and a tradition that few in the country can claim. However we seem to have little reverence or respect for what we come from. Our color was developed by the father of modern basketball and yet we yearn for it to be an "accent" color ? Lets be proud of the tradition we have and lets be true to it. We seem to have already abandoned our mascot for a rocket squerrill look a like and now we yearn for a pedestrian navy blue instead of our own unique keaney blue. Maybe the problem is we have not seen it in so long ? We need to do a better job of representing our true colors rather than join the crowd in running out irrelevant colors because that is what everyone else is doing. Otherwise lets try black, or red or cammies.
I'm all about tradition. I bitched on this board for years until we got the banners put up. The navy looks better and it is actually "traditionally" the school color. The best uniforms we ever had (the 97-98 ones) were navy with keaney accents.
TP, as far as the navy looking better that is your opinion , which , of course, you are absolutely entitled to ...But please.. where do you get Navy as being "traditionally" the school color?? It was some form of a royal blue before Frank Keaney invented the Keaney blue that was then adopted as the school color...it has never been officially Navy blue to my knowledge..
Please understand I do not want to nit pick but I believe that the color is important to our identity.......
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That dark blue is the school color. Keaney blue is strictly in the domain of athletics. All non-athletic university branding features the dark blue. I don't dislike Keaney blue at all. I just think the navy had a cleaner look and the contrast with the Keaney is great when the dark blue is the main color and Keaney is the accent, but not as great the other way around. Obviously it's a matter of personal preference.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

TP is right.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I thought we were talking about athletics??
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

They played well in these uniforms...can't change them now.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

ABSOLUTELY ! Looked great, and look how much faster they ran..............
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Yeah , I'm loyal to Keaney Blue, but I always love those dark blues for some reason...
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Good look at the uniforms (and a nice pic of TJ)

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/ ... 0D4936.jpg
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wear them at home for rest of the season.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Awesome jersey. Gotta give it to Adidas.
GO RAMS
ELeslie's 1st assist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ELeslie's 1st assist »

For record, I wrote "UNLESS you're Indiana or a national power on TV all the time." Clearly URI is neither. Thus, I think names on the back are a must.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to school colors. There's Carolina blue...Keaney blue...Spartan green...Tennessee orange. URI needs to have a brand and stick to it. Keaney blue should be the primary color and the navy blue can be used for trim. Enough with uniform and color changes.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I like not having names on the jerseys. I think they look sleeker and more stylish…kind of a less is more situation. I'm a bit of a simplistic person when it comes to that kind of stuff though.
If someone is inspired or really enjoys a performance by a player on the team they can just use the number to look them up on the roster. In my opinion, this would be even more a of a benefit to URI Basketball because now you'll have people checking out their website or other material to check out the player's name and who knows what other promotion or stuff they end up reading or seeing about URI while doing that. If you watch the game and know the player's name because it's back on the jersey you're attention or research on the guy and the university probably ends when the game ends. That's just my take on it.
I'd rather it be about the team as whole than about one or two names who scored more points and had the most rebounds on a given night. These days with the Bryants, Melos, LeBron's of the world getting so much media attention I really feel the sense of TEAM is getting lost. You see kids coming to play college basketball and as we've seen even with a player or two on our own team over the years, if they don't start or they don't get a ton of minutes, they whine and pout instead of embracing a role on the team and doing everything they can to be the best at that role and to help the team in any capacity they can. This is one of the reasons I love TJ as a player. He makes the most out of his role on the team and people still love him for it, yet he's not dropping 20+ point each game. In my opinion, if you play on a TEAM then you shouldn't be concerned about your name being on the jersey, or what publicity you might receive, or even with how many points you need to drop, or what highlight you need to have to be on SportsCenter…the only thing that should concern a player on a TEAM is making sure they show up and give 100% and choose to fight with and for the person fighting next to them in each and every game.
Media glorifies individuals, but without the other non-star-players giving their all each time out…they wouldn't win or achieve squat. You drop 20+…great…but who gave that player the ball?…who drew the extra defender away so that player could have that open look?…etc. Everyone on a TEAM plays a part. I feel having a name on the back of a jersey...combined with media attention...takes away from the sense of TEAM for players and the people watching. Save the names on the jerseys for the people in the pros…like in the NBA where they hardly play defense and it's all about the show boating. I'd rather watch an NCAA Tournament game.
This is just my opinion and I know some will disagree. That's quite alright.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I am sick of the navy blue BS. The school's color is Keaney Blue. Case closed. Now marketing nitwits are trying to change nearly 100 years of tradition. If it's good enough for North Carolina then it should be good enough for us. It's also unique! Everyone and their brother uses navy/dark blue. Boring! And by the way, If you're going to bring back the navy jerseys at least make the lettering Keaney Blue. This white lettering with the KB outline is nonsense. #BringBackKeaneyBlue
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

school colors have been navy, keaney and white for a while
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dear URI,

Please sell game jerseys. I will give you my money. Stop with this knock-off, weird version, sort-of-almost-jersey crap. I want one. Badly.

Sincerely,

BM

PS: I love the Navy blues, but I agree with 96 that the lettering should be keaney blue with white outlines.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Someone on this board must be able to hook BM up!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

While I do like the navy blues, us matching the font of Georgia Southern is emBARONsing

WE NEED OUR OWN IDENTITY AND CONSISTENCY

look at all the big schools, and they have their own identity

We need to dictate to Adidas what we want and come up w something consistent and rebranding across most uri sports ala what UConn did

So sick of these cookie cutter fonts/jerseys
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:While I do like the navy blues, us matching the font of Georgia Southern is emBARONsing

We need to dictate to Adidas what we want and come up w something consistent and rebranding across most uri sports ala what UConn did

Speaking of identity, can we please give our guys their names on the jerseys? So sick of us looking like a small time operation, really no reason for it. Are we a Division 3 school?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote:Dear URI,

Please sell game jerseys. I will give you my money. Stop with this knock-off, weird version, sort-of-almost-jersey crap. I want one. Badly.
BlueMan, is this the "knock-off, weird version, sort-of-almost-jersey crap"?

http://ramszone.uri.edu/MerchDetail.asp ... ucDhvYo5O0

They LOOK to be close enough to the real thing in the pic. But looks can be deceiving.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

"Navy Blue forum"

Doesn't sound right does it?
Navy stays alternate only....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

twisted3829 wrote:school colors have been navy, keaney and white for a while
Not in that order. When was the last time you saw a regularly used uniform where the primary color was navy? The best you can do is 99 when we had the navy blue road unis w/ Keaney lettering. There is a conspiracy to kill Keaney Blue and it must be stopped. Even the road jerseys the past few years are not even close to Keaney blue. They're some third party blue. Bleeech.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

third party blue.. funny and true.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I disagree. I don't mind the Navy Blue unis (with Keaney Blue trim like worn in the 99 A10 tourney) as a third jersey from time to time, but I like the home to be white with Keaney Blue letters/numbers (navy blue highlights are okay), and road to be Keaney Blue with white and navy highlights/letters/numbers.

I'd also rather have names on the back.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Every piece of URI gear I own except for one hoodie, is in navy blue.
So, what's all the fuss about?
Hurley had the entire team in grey warmups at Alpine.
THAT was off base, not the navy blue.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

steviep123 wrote:I disagree. I don't mind the Navy Blue unis (with Keaney Blue trim like worn in the 99 A10 tourney) as a third jersey from time to time, but I like the home to be white with Keaney Blue letters/numbers (navy blue highlights are okay), and road to be Keaney Blue with white and navy highlights/letters/numbers.

I'd also rather have names on the back.
I'd rather have names as well. Has anybody here (with strong ties to the athletic department) asked them why player jerseys don't have names? It does seem a bit ridiculous in this day and age, and I would be shocked if the issue is monetary in nature...there are only 14 guys on the team for crying out loud! I would imagine the players aren't very happy about it either. With more and more of our games being broadcast on TV, having names on the jerseys makes it much easier for the casual fan to form a connection with certain players and "get to know" the team as a whole. So I guess what I'm saying is that producing jerseys without names is poor marketing on URI's part.

P.S. -I too like the navy blue jerseys, but it sounds like I'm in the minority.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

URI96 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:school colors have been navy, keaney and white for a while
Not in that order. When was the last time you saw a regularly used uniform where the primary color was navy? The best you can do is 99 when we had the navy blue road unis w/ Keaney lettering. There is a conspiracy to kill Keaney Blue and it must be stopped. Even the road jerseys the past few years are not even close to Keaney blue. They're some third party blue. Bleeech.
just basketball probably 99, but the football team has used navy the past few years now
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Right, I noticed when players are injured, out, whatever, they wear gray warm-ups.

#Ugly
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Let's not talk about the football uniforms that look like peewee football. Besides the cool helmets
GO RAMS
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

So I sent Thorr an email to inquire about the names on the back of the jerseys, and he responded rather quickly! See below.

"Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for the note and thanks for the passion you have for URI Basketball. I agree that Coach Hurley is doing a great job and is building something very special.

In regards to your question about the names on the back of the jerseys, there was no particular reason that the team decided to not have the names on the back of the jersey’s this year. As you know in the past the names have been there. I will be sure to pass along your suggestion when the new orders are placed.

All the best and thanks again for reaching out.

Go Rhody!!
"

I love how responsive this guy is! This is only the third time I've ever emailed him directly, and he's replied every time. Let's hope he takes the suggestion into consideration and gets those names inserted on the next batch of jerseys.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Wow.. I went to look again at Georgia southerns unis.. Everything is the same.. Even the stripe.. What a complete farce.. Nothing but cookie cutter copycat unis.. Put me in charge and I give us our own real identity.. This fires me up.. Every year we always have cookie cutter unis.. Thor needs to consult me and I'd get this sh*t straightened out :)
alfabetsoop
Jim Eitner

Unread post by alfabetsoop »

Shinze88 wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:While I do like the navy blues, us matching the font of Georgia Southern is emBARONsing

Speaking of identity, can we please give our guys their names on the jerseys? So sick of us looking like a small time operation, really no reason for it. Are we a Division 3 school?
I agree. My HS Soccer uni from 1976 had my name on the back.