[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by bigappleram »

full page article in today's NY Post...saying the same thing as most other media, Dan is the only choice for Rutgers.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yesterday you said he wasn't ready.
I am not near as confident as you that there is no way he takes it.
Nobody saw bobby leaving for buffalo either.
I am worried about his one.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Players like Mathews and Martin are program changers.

We lose them, we're screwed.

Yes, we can replace Hurley with another good coach. But could he recruit at the level Dan is doing with his connections, especially with a weakened A10?

We will most likely go back to where we could Dance every third or fourth year, and maybe win a game or two. Forget FF and Elite 8 talk.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, Dan has got to come out SOON and refute this. The signing period starts in less than 2 weeks.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The one thing that no one seems to be taking into consideration is that Rutgers could be Hurley's dream job and the school that he wants to be his last stop, given his connections to the state and the fact that it's the state university. If that's the case he's probably gone. I'm sure he'd feel bad about leaving URI in the mess that he'd leave them in but what can you say? Sometimes you have to make tough choices and I'm sure Hurley wouldn't be doing it to screw URI but doing what's best for what he wants in his career.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yes, but I'm in denial, so what do I know?
My favorite post was the one that said, even if Hurley stays, this is bad for URI.
WTF! I just don't get some people at all.

Rod you misunderstood my comment. Of Course DH staying is great. What I meant is that his name being thrown around after year 1 means that with some success it will happen every year and that can affect recruiting and also that at some point there will be an offer he can't refuse.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

scine20 wrote:The one thing that no one seems to be taking into consideration is that Rutgers could be Hurley's dream job and the school that he wants to be his last stop, given his connections to the state and the fact that it's the state university. If that's the case he's probably gone. I'm sure he'd feel bad about leaving URI in the mess that he'd leave them in but what can you say? Sometimes you have to make tough choices and I'm sure Hurley wouldn't be doing it to screw URI but doing what's best for what he wants in his career.
No one?
I think there is a strong likelihood that he goes to Rutgers.
I hope not, but
Big 10
Program has hit beyond bottom -a plus in the eyes of some looking for that
Home state
Family
Money
Money
Money
Recruiting power
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

LOSING SEASONS AHEAD at Rutgers... Dan's "done" with losing -- for good.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Obviously the AD and Pres thing has to get worked out first.... I do not see either hanging on thru this mess.....the difficult part for me is that even with Dan staying(which I think we will)most future openings in the bigger programs/leagues are going to include Dan on some ones list....this is fact we/ll just have to deal with.....what I don't wanna see is some thrown together effort by URI to raise compensation and extend the current contract with URI was a way to keep him.....what I wanna see is our coach to recommit to his decision, mission and contract to stay at URI....dream world??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ramster wrote:
scine20 wrote:The one thing that no one seems to be taking into consideration is that Rutgers could be Hurley's dream job and the school that he wants to be his last stop, given his connections to the state and the fact that it's the state university. If that's the case he's probably gone. I'm sure he'd feel bad about leaving URI in the mess that he'd leave them in but what can you say? Sometimes you have to make tough choices and I'm sure Hurley wouldn't be doing it to screw URI but doing what's best for what he wants in his career.
No one?
I think there is a strong likelihood that he goes to Rutgers.
I hope not, but
Big 10
Program has hit beyond bottom -a plus in the eyes of some looking for that
Home state
Family
Money
Money
Money
Recruiting power
Unfortunately everything you said is true.

But, again, if it's his dream job then there's absolutely no way he stays at URI.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, it's approaching the time that Mr. "Up Front and Candid" Dan Hurley does just that, and lets us and the world know what his true intentions are.

Rumors and speculation are running wild. What about the players, the coaches, the boosters, the fans, the school, etc?

We all want, and need to know. Ya think Dooley and Thorr do?

One statement would end of all this. Of course, the longer we wait, the chances of him leaving increase, and we'll get the announcement that no one here wants.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

It's kind of ironic that in the NY Post article that ATP posted the writer mentions how important commitment is and that being one of the reasons that Hurley should be hired when if Hurley does leave he will have left two schools in a three year period.

Not exactly commitment if you ask me.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

scine, if Rutgers was his dream job, he could have stayed at Wagner another year. There were rumors of Rice's problems for a while, and it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he wasn't long for that job.

Rutgers might be a dream job for someone someday, but it sure isn't now.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Rambone, now would be as good a time as any to go to Rutgers because of the challenge. Imagine turning around a program in complete shambles like Rutgers? That would be a complete career makes, particularly for a guy from New Jersey.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't know how some of you guys sleep at night. Did you not expect this to happen when Hurley was hired? Every year coaches get fired and Hurley, as a young, hot coach, will surely be on lots of lists. Just because you need a Xanax every time something like this happens doesn't mean Hurley has to make a public announcement within 24 hours. Relax .... believe it or not, there are more important things to worry about than college basketball.
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

There are?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille 11h
Seeing a lot of reports of Rutgers being interested in Danny Hurley. Would be a slam dunk, but don't see Hurley leaving URI after one year.

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille 11h
Remember, Danny Hurley has a very good class coming in to URI, nice mis of recruits and transfers.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 16h
Just because Rutgers is "targeting" Dan Hurley doesn't mean Danny's interest would be reciprocal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

74, we know that. I expected Hurley to be on other schools' lists.

But not yet! URI is about to turn around it's BB fortunes big time. If he leaves now, this short-circuits all of it.

Another year, or probably 2, and I would expect the calls to come, after an NCAA run. Then the program will have reached the point where it can sustain itself with another good hire, without missing a beat.

What might keep Dan here for now, will be the uncertainty surrounding the AD and president's job status. It's hard to imagine going to a place where you don't even know who your bosses will be. A lot of things could be impacted by that.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rutgers Scarlet Knights Basketball
Louis Brown Athletic Center (RAC)
Opened: 1977
Capacity: 8,000 (much of it bench seating)

NCAA Appearances: 6 - 1975, 1976 (Final-4), 1979 (Sweet-16), 1983, 1989, 1991
NCAA Record: 5-7
NIT Appearances: 14 - 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1990, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006
NIT Record: 16-14

Recent Coaches (all after the 1976 Final-4)
Craig Littlepage 1985-86 - 87-88 (3 yrs) 86 23 63 .261 FIRED
Bob Wenzel 1988-89 - 96-97 (9 yrs) 263 128 135 .487 FIRED
Kevin Bannon 1997-98 - 2000-01 (4 yrs) 119 59 60 .496 FIRED
Gary Waters 2001-02 - 2005-06 (5 yrs) 154 79 75 .513
Fred Hill 2006-07 - 2009-10 (4yrs) 124 47 77 .379 FIRED
Mike Rice 2010-11 - 2012-13 (3 yrs) 95 44 51 .463 FIRED
Five of the last six coaches were fired.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Hurley leaving now? I doubt it. For Rutgers? I can't see it. Never say never, but it would be a shock. It would be a huge setback for URI.
I just wish Hurley would come out and deny any interest.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KMac:

"Hurley, who has not bought a home in Rhode Island, knows how tough the Rutgers job is. Going into the Big Ten, the job will only get tougher. He may be a true Jersey Guy but he does not take kindly to losing, and Rutgers is set up only for losses for the next few seasons."

http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... urley.html
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Rutgers job has its drawbacks. Five of the last six coaches failed there and were fired. Most all of the Rutgers program success was under a single coach - Tom Young who coached there from 1973-1985. The hoops facility needs a facelift as it is now 36 years old and it lacks modern amenities such as suites and much of the seating is bench. The program has several advantages (very large school, large population state located between NYC and Philly, located in recruiting hot-bed, member of BCS league, BCS football) but has been unable to leverage these into sustained success.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How the hell did Rutgers manage to get a B10 invite?

Location? Promises?

With the AD and president likely goners, could that change?

And Rosie, Hurley needs to say something. By tomorrow at the latest. I would be surprised, if Rutgers hasn't called him already.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree, one could look at Rutgers as nowhere to go but up. It will be the perfect job for someone who wants the ultimate challenge.
And I think the prospect of playing in the big 10 is awesome. Far better than tha alternative options of catholic 7 BE or the American athletic conference.
Glass half full guys will want the challenge and thrive in this environment.
Glass half empty guys will avoid this like the plague.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

does anyone knows if rutgers has to ask permission from uri to talk with hurley? have they?

AND,

so, a contract is really not a commitment, i get that, so if Dan leaves, why exactly is Bobby not available for uri?
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Rutgers is going to have to pull the trigger quickly to get this to die down as fast as possible. I'm sure the B10 is giving them crap as are thier supporter$$ They are also going to have to over pay by a lot to make that happen. Unfortunately they are going to have the cash because of the new league to make that kind of commitment. My guess is they still go for a big name with Hurley one rung lower as a fall back... But then again, my opinion and 50 cents will get you, um, pretty much nothing these days....
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I hope Hurley pulls a Jim Baron, and uses the Rutgers job (much like Baron did with V-Tech) to leverage an extremely long, lucrative deal and become the New CFL of URI.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

We are at a disadvantage- when Willard was considering Seton Hall, Chris Christie made a call to Willard to help close the deal.

And exactly who do we have that can talk with Dan?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Another version of that KMac story on Projo leans towards Dan staying in Kingston:
Kevin McNamara wrote:What do the Hurley-to-Rutgers scribblers miss? Hurley and his staff have spent the last 11 months convincing a slew of players to join them in Kingston. He coached four players (plus two recruits) who had to sit out this past season just for a chance to play for him and now he's going to leave them behind?

Hurley, who has not bought a home in Rhode Island, knows how tough the Rutgers job is. Going into the Big Ten, the job will only get tougher. He may be a true Jersey Guy but he does not take kindly to losing, and Rutgers is set up only for losses for the next few seasons.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... urley.html
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

McRam wrote:We are at a disadvantage- when Willard was considering Seton Hall, Chris Christie made a call to Willard to help close the deal.

And exactly who do we have that can talk with Dan?
Chaffee better stay the hell away from this, that would have the opposite effect of a Christie call.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm hearing there is a team meeting today, to tell the players
who's replacing Bobby on the staff.
If Rutgers is anyone's dream job, they have problems.
Chafee calling anyone is like getting a call from Bozo the Clown.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Apparently Ben Howland is interested in the job. I'd think that he's a bigger name than Hurley.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'm hearing there is a team meeting today, to tell the players
I'd love a call from bozo. I'm sure there'd at least be some substance in that conversation.

Agree on the Rutgers dream job comment. That school, no matter the coach, is destined to be the Fordham of the Big 10.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Lawrence Frank 'very happy' with Pistons, pushes back on Rutgers rumors

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/4/41 ... basketball
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Howland is familiar with Rutgers from his Pitt days.
He needs to rehab his career. He has a buyout from UCLA, so
money is no object.
As I was told last night, most of this Hurley to Rutgers is NY media driven.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is, Dan and his family have already made their decision.

There are too many people waiting on this.

I'm sure this is why there isn't any news coming from his players either. Could be a gag order from URI also.

Rod, if that meeting is indeed about that, then he's staying. The following announcement will then be twofold: a new assistant, and he's staying, obviously.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why would the Missing Linc have any interest in URI sports? He doesn't support it, so why bother?
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Any rumors on who may be taking Bobby's job?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Rob, if Hurley does leave I think you're going to need some therapy.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'm hearing there is a team meeting today, to tell the players
Team meeting makes me nervous. Hopefully we get an announcement on the new assistant this afternoon. That would be a good way to quell the speculation about Dan going to Rutgers without addressing it directly. Would be pretty awkward to announce a new member of your staff as you're negotiating your departure, then turning around and announcing your departure the next day or whatever.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd bet that the recruits probably know something now. His name has been all over ESPN and , of course, the local sports.
Anyone following their tweets? If Hurley is staying, he'd contact them immediately.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not much on Twitter, but here's Zag's list:

Eddie Jordan — The former coach of the Philadelphia 76ers, Washington Wizards and Sacramento Kings, Jordan played at Rutgers during the glory years in the mid-70s and helped the team reach the 1976 Final Four. He was reportedly in the mix for the Rutgers job in 2010.
Paul Hewitt — The George Mason coach grew up in Queens, has ties to the New York/New Jersey recruiting circles and was linked to the St. John’s vacancy in 2010 when Steve Lavin was hired. In 11 seasons under Hewitt, Georgia Tech went to the NCAA Tournament five times.

Chris Mooney — The 40-year old Philadelphia native and former Princeton star led Richmond to the Sweet 16 in 2011 and to the postseason five times in eight years as head coach of the Spiders. More of a mild-mannered figure on the sidelines, he is 165-129 as a college head coach, which included one season at Air Force in 2004-05.

Chris Mack — The Cleveland native took Xavier to the Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012. With Xavier slotted to join the Big East next year, would he want to enter the Big 10 as a bottom-tier team? Again, money would probably be an issue.

Seth Greenberg — The former Virginia Tech coach and current ESPN analyst is an FDU grad and a New York native. Keep in mind that Rice makes a reported $655,000 at Rutgers, and that probably isn’t enough to lure somebody like Greenberg away from ESPN.

Fran Fraschilla — A Brooklyn native and former St. John’s coach, Fraschilla hasn’t coached since 2002. He has his own history of issues from his tenures at New Mexico and St. John’s, but is generally respected and liked in the industry.

Bill Carmody — The recently fired Northwestern coach has a clean image and a strong academic background, but never won in the Big Ten. Former Rutgers coach Freddie Hill was also on his staff at Northwestern.

Danny Hurley — Many around New Jersey hope/expect that Hurley will one day take over at Rutgers or Seton Hall, but this may not be the right time. Hurley will begin his second season at Rhode Island next season and has a loaded team with several transfers becoming eligible, including Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta, who figures prominently in the Mike Rice tapes.

John Giannini — The La Salle coach is widely respected and would be a cooler, calmer option following the fiery Rice. He just led La Salle to the Sweet 16 and has deep recruiting ties in the New York/New Jersey/Philly corridor.

Tommy Amaker — The former Seton Hall and Michigan coach just led Harvard to the NCAA Tournament for the first time and is a relatively hot name. His relationship with the New Jersey media was often strained, though, and he may not want to return to the state.

Ben Howland -- The recently-fired UCLA coach knows the Big East from his time at Pitt, and could reunite with ace recruiter Barry Rohrssen to recruit the New York area. Again, the money probably isn’t enough to lure a guy like Howland.

Bob Knight — As we reported in this column, Knight was interested in the Rutgers job in 2010. Although it’s an extreme long shot, as his son Pat told me in 2010, “If I’m St. John’s or Rutgers, to me, you gotta be an idiot … if you’re an AD or president, it doesn’t hurt to call.”

Rutgers University Athletic Director Tim Pernetti calls into GEICO SportsNite to talk about the conduct of head basketba
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:My apologies to Gilvydas as well!! Did not realize he didn't like the shortened name.
Same here. Just corrected the title of one of my posts where I referred to him as "Gil". Won't happen again.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I don't know if anyone has read the Rutgers board, but some seem to think that Hewitt is the favorite.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Here's a ridiculous Tweet... for a laugh. Read carefully:

Derek DeNote ‏@ddenote9
My sources, that are not even somewhat close to the situation, are telling me Danny Hurley will be the next Rutgers coach

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Justns11 wrote:Lawrence Frank 'very happy' with Pistons, pushes back on Rutgers rumors
But are the Pistons happy with him? They're 25-51 and just painful to watch. I was at the Celtics/Pistons game last night and seriously laughed out loud at Detroit a few times. They're not good (and not well coached, IMO).
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote:KMac:

"Hurley, who has not bought a home in Rhode Island, knows how tough the Rutgers job is. Going into the Big Ten, the job will only get tougher. He may be a true Jersey Guy but he does not take kindly to losing, and Rutgers is set up only for losses for the next few seasons."
I think K-Mac is right on. Why start a rebuilding process here, then abandon it halfway through to start another one?
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Here's a ridiculous Tweet... for a laugh. Read carefully:

Derek DeNote ‏@ddenote9
My sources, that are not even somewhat close to the situation, are telling me Danny Hurley will be the next Rutgers coach
Haha I love the honesty. I've got sources in the Providence nonprofit community...I wonder what they have to say?
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The fact that they will need a "cool and calm" demeanored coach on the sidelines may be important. That's definitely not Dan. Perception is everything for this hire.