Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Transfers

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Projecting any of these guys as NBAers is stretching things until we see them in games against good competition. However, Dan referred to both EC and Biruta in that tone and while he'd be the ultimate homer he also knows what he's talking about.
Slava Ukraini!
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Billy, and numbers game and not quite fitting in.
Has a horrendous year 4.4 ppg or something,
He was solid at Central Michigan.
DUI in November didn't endear him to anyone at Pitt.
Hey, if Hurley and Preston think he's a match, why not.
6'5" shooting guard, who was a four star, 29th ranked
nationally, for whatever that's worth.
He'd have to sit out a year.
He's the new Billy Baron.
I'll take EC over anyone in PC's backcourt.
Only time will prove who's right. Why argue about it?
You will take a kid who has never played a game in college over the leading scorer in the Big East last year now there is a well thought out post and what makes me think you probably have never even seen the kid play a full hs game yet either.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Another PC fan heard from.
This kid is so dynamic, it's incredible.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Billy, and numbers game and not quite fitting in.
Has a horrendous year 4.4 ppg or something,
He was solid at Central Michigan.
DUI in November didn't endear him to anyone at Pitt.
Hey, if Hurley and Preston think he's a match, why not.
6'5" shooting guard, who was a four star, 29th ranked
nationally, for whatever that's worth.
He'd have to sit out a year.
He's the new Billy Baron.
I'll take EC over anyone in PC's backcourt.
Only time will prove who's right. Why argue about it?
You will take a kid who has never played a game in college over the leading scorer in the Big East last year now there is a well thought out post and what makes me think you probably have never even seen the kid play a full hs game yet either.
Is punctuation taught at Providence College?
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Another PC fan heard from.
This kid is so dynamic, it's incredible.

So are a lot of hs all americans and they end up being complete busts I am not saying he is going to be that but let's see the kid play a few college games before we send him straight to the nba.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rhody74 wrote:Projecting any of these guys as NBAers is stretching things until we see them in games against good competition. However, Dan referred to both EC and Biruta in that tone and while he'd be the ultimate homer he also knows what he's talking about.
you show me a quote where DH said Gil was "NBA ready" right now; and I'll mail you one of my eyebrows.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

seanmc94 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Projecting any of these guys as NBAers is stretching things until we see them in games against good competition. However, Dan referred to both EC and Biruta in that tone and while he'd be the ultimate homer he also knows what he's talking about.
you show me a quote where DH said Gil was "NBA ready" right now; and I'll mail you one of my eyebrows.
Now I see how you work .... setting up straw men and then attacking us. I didn't say that Hurley said he was "NBA ready." He told Ian O'Connor this morning that Biruta had a chance to be one of the best big men in the A-10 and probably the country.
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

To be fair he said one of the best "stretch 4's" in the country...a similar dynamic to what Erik Murphy brought to the table at Florida
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

If Ledo stays I will mail you both my eyebrows. Biruta was an all big east freshman and now what can obliviously be seen as a horrible situation. He just practiced a whole year on his game, by all accounts he works hard " I knew what I was getting myself into when I came here" in reference to how hard Hurley works this team. Furthermore Hurley states this morning he has a chance to be one of the best big men in the country. I may be going out on a limb here but I think Dan Hurley may have a higher basketball IQ than anyone on this board and quite possibly all of us together.
Biruta will be the only future NBA player in this state next year.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

My point was; a poster here claimed Gil was NBA ready right now. I disagreed. You jumped in not knowing what was going on; claiming that DH backed up the claim. Know what's going on before you chime in.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sean.....go paint your tractor you Internet bully
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Kingston
Steve Chubin

I was the original poster saying Biruta was the only NBA player in the state next year. And I do agree with you we need to see him first. My point was Ledo"s gone. And can you blame him he gets hurt next year or Cotton doesn't pass like he did at the end of last year. This upcoming season can bring his stock down. If I was advising Ledo strike while the irons hot. This years class is weak and a couple million is tough to turn down. Even if he slips to the second round. Which I doubt he will, a team is going to give him a contract based on potential.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

And I know what is going on. Check my posts haven't been wrong yet.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

seanmc94 wrote:My point was; a poster here claimed Gil was NBA ready right now. I disagreed. You jumped in not knowing what was going on; claiming that DH backed up the claim. Know what's going on before you chime in.
Oh, dear me, I'll be sure to ask your permission before I post again.
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Would Zeigler be shooting for us next year. Three years at CM and one at Pitt means he may be a grad and be eligible immediately. It is doubtfull that a transfer would make it in 4years but it is possible that X would have a shooting partner.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyrob wrote:Would Zeigler be shooting for us next year. Three years at CM and one at Pitt means he may be a grad and be eligible immediately. It is doubtfull that a transfer would make it in 4years but it is possible that X would have a shooting partner.
Zeigler spent two years at Central Michigan and one at Pitt. The transfer list, so far, is doing a good job of specifying the graduates and Zeigler isn't listed as such.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I may be mistaken, but Zeigler isnt really much of an outside shooter, correct? Would still love to see them bring in a true knock down shooter.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I kind of wish Dan would bring in 2 more frosh next year, and skip any more transfers.

After next year, unless anyone else leaves, there will be only 1 scholly open. Then the next year, we'll have at least 6 open. That's a huge turnover.

More 4 year players, more continuity.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

How it currently shapes up:

Munford
Biruta, Powell, Buchanan
Minnis, Reischel, Aaman, Hare, Onyekaba (?)
Martin, Matthews

On the whole, they can probably get better 4 year recruits than transfers or JUCOs, but if one turns up who fits a role, go for it. Very small sample size, but Hurley's done well with the transfers and JUCOs who have played for him.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm amazed at how willing fans are to give up on Hare. Until this year's recruiting class, Hare was the best recruit we've got in a decade. I know those rankings don't always translate, but I also think that it was obvious that Hare had some developing to do when he got here so I don't know what people expected to see this year. If this was better than an 8 win team, Hare wouldn't have played and would have been allowed to develop behind the scenes. Maybe his development wasn't immediately obvious on the court this season, but I believe the talent is there and the coaching staff is capable of getting it out of him.

And even though he didn't have a great year, he did flash some talent at times. He just needs to develop physically and keep working on his skills. Luckily these kids are at an age where they can make huge leaps in their development in short amounts of time. I'm not even close to giving up on Hare, and fans openly rooting for him to transfer look completely foolish.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You can't teach size, but Hare was lacking in even basic basketball skills last season.

Yes, he's very athletic, but so what, a lot of Baron's recruits were athletic, but had no BB smarts either.

Hare can dunk. That's great. He's 6'10", he should be able to.

He can't shoot a lick, has horrible technique. We didn't see much, if any, improvement in that area last season. You would think, with this coaching staff, that there would have been.

Has bad hands also. That's hard to change. Look at Brooks.

I think it's safe to say, that if he already wasn't in the recruiting pipeline before Dan got here, and with the need for big bodies, that he wouldn't have been recruited by the Hurleys to begin with.

Now having said all that, is he serviceable? If he shows some improvement, and is willing to work hard to maximize what talent he's got, then yes. If not, then next year might be his last here, if he doesn't leave before then.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:How it currently shapes up:

Munford
Biruta, Powell, Buchanan
Martin, Matthews

On the whole, they can probably get better 4 year recruits than transfers or JUCOs, but if one turns up who fits a role, go for it. Very small sample size, but Hurley's done well with the transfers and JUCOs who have played for him.
Ace, why the ? next to the Big O...is there still a question regarding eligibility?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Munford
Biruta, Powell, Buchanan
Martin, Matthews

Ace, why the ? next to the Big O...is there still a question regarding eligibility?
Only whether he should be classified as a freshman or sophomore. It sounds like he'll play his three years and then they'll petition for a fourth.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I definitely dont want to give up on Hare. I would love to see him back and see what he can do when he isnt the only guy playing inside or counting on Nik being the "big man" playing next to him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Munford
Biruta, Powell, Buchanan
Martin, Matthews

Only whether he should be classified as a freshman or sophomore. It sounds like he'll play his three years and then they'll petition for a fourth.
Gotcha.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Kingston wrote:Rod someone else is leaving to, (not named Dan)and you will get the last laugh of all. Prepare yourself for a great week in keaneyblue.com posting. You know who my source is and he has sworn my to silence. That is proboly enough to give you and idea of what is going on. You may want to take some sick days mid week.

Ahh it all makes sense now, you are referring to Ledo! Granted your recent posts gave it away but still. Man, Kingston I keep wondering who you are but I have no clue. I'm not tapped into the Athletic Department at all so I can never tell who people are on here or who their sources are.

Must be nice having reliable sources.

Really dumb of Ledo to leave (if you are right). If it is the case, Ledo should have just gone overseas this year, made some loot, slept with the foreign women and enjoyed another country's culture.

BTW, I'm with you TP, surprised to see people give up on Hare so quick. He clearly is a guy who has great potential but needs patience. I hope Hare returns, URI's front court would have great depth.

I don't think it is fair to Hare to compare him to Brooks in any facet. Brooks has and always will be a stiff, honestly if you crunch the stats he is probably the worst player to survive all four years at URI. Not to mention he had Baron teaching him which means he wasn't being taught a damn thing. Hare as a freshmen is far and away better than Brooks could ever be.

Patience, folks. I know it looks like like Hare is leaving but he could bring a lot to the table as a solid reserve on a tourney team. Hare's defensive presence and size will be an asset off the bench for Rhody down the road.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If Hare's all in, great, but they don't need distractions. Looking back at this season, it's impressive how this team stayed together and competed in so many games, despite the personnel and some tough losses. I know the situation was kind of desperate, but Brooks' presence on this team last year shows that if a player will commit to working hard and accepting coaching, he has a place on a Hurley team.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:You can't teach size, but Hare was lacking in even basic basketball skills last season.

Yes, he's very athletic, but so what, a lot of Baron's recruits were athletic, but had no BB smarts either.

Hare can dunk. That's great. He's 6'10", he should be able to.

He can't shoot a lick, has horrible technique. We didn't see much, if any, improvement in that area last season. You would think, with this coaching staff, that there would have been.

Has bad hands also. That's hard to change. Look at Brooks.

I think it's safe to say, that if he already wasn't in the recruiting pipeline before Dan got here, and with the need for big bodies, that he wouldn't have been recruited by the Hurleys to begin with.

Now having said all that, is he serviceable? If he shows some improvement, and is willing to work hard to maximize what talent he's got, then yes. If not, then next year might be his last here, if he doesn't leave before then.

I respect your opinion, but I just disagree with your assessment. I don't care about how well a 6'10" guy shoots it. He really shouldn't be asked to wander very far from the hoop on offense. As for the rest of it, I think he actually has pretty decent instincts on the court, he just didn't always look excited to bang and mix it up under the basket on either end of the floor, which is something that should change as he develops physically and becomes comfortable with this level of basketball.

As far as improving during the year, that isn't really a good way to judge a player. Maybe for some guys a light turns on during the season, but for the most part major player improvement occurs during the offseason. The season is more focused on the X's and O's of the team; the more individual focus on development is primarily a spring and summer thing.

As far as the hands thing, that's probably fair. But that and the shooting thing are necessary if he was going to be a lottery pick. A 6'10" guy that can rebound, alter shots, run the floor and finish and always be a threat to be on the money end of a lob pass over an inattentive defense is a valuable player in the A10. I'm not guaranteeing that Hare will be a great player, I'm just not at all discourage by what I saw this past season. I still think he can be a good player.

And I know this is a pet issue for me, but I'll say it again here anyways. I really wish we would stop saying "if this guy is still here after next year" about players in our program. The assumption should always be that a kid will be here for four years. Transfers are the exception, not the rule. If we make a commitment to a kid, its a four year deal unless they decide they want to go elsewhere. It's not a two year deal with two club options. This isn't professional sports.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, isn't that what's great about this board?

We can agree to disagree, without ripping each other to pieces.

I'm not totally giving up on Hare, in spite of what it sounds like.

Next year will tell. He could be much better. I just have my doubts.

The rumors I've heard about him though, aren't encouraging. Will he return?
Last edited by rambone 78 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Batts was a train wreck skill wise and attitude wise as a frosh. Things can turn around.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I don't care about how well a 6'10" guy shoots it. He really shouldn't be asked to wander very far from the hoop on offense. "
Never heard of Kevin Durant or Dirk Nowitzki?
Also, look at the growing transfers list every year. It's not an exception
when kids transfer.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, it may be that Hare sees that his PT is going to drop off big time next year. He of all people, should know, since he's been getting schooled in practice all year.

He's going to have to work his butt off to improve, to compete with Biruta and the Big O, and even Aaman, and maybe another big man recruit.

Does he want to do it?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who knows? Half these rumors are untrue, anyway.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:"I don't care about how well a 6'10" guy shoots it. He really shouldn't be asked to wander very far from the hoop on offense. "
Never heard of Kevin Durant or Dirk Nowitzki?
Also, look at the growing transfers list every year. It's not an exception
when kids transfer.
Yeah, I've heard of Durant and Dirk. Is that the type of player you were expecting Hare to be? If so, no wonder you're disappointed. If you read the rest of my post, you'd have read where I said that being a good shooter and having good hands would be helpful if we were evaluating a potential lottery pick, but if we're talking about a good A10 big, I don't consider those things to be necessary at this level. Yeah, sure, if we had a 6'10" center that could do everything I think Hare will eventually do plus shoot it and have soft hands, good touch around the basket and an array of post moves, we'd be talking about the best player in URI history.

I'm just saying if Hare's ceiling is being tall, long and athletic and he gives you 20-25 minutes of rebounding, defensive presence in the paint and the ability to run the floor and convert easy baskets in transition or off the offensive boards - I would sign up for that seven days a week and twice on selection Sunday. And I haven't seen anything from Hare that suggests to me that he isn't capable of that.

As far as kids transferring, it is sadly becoming more common. But as fans we should support the kids in our program and not talk about them like they are disposable. We want our program to be a family - you don't just run kids out of town because they aren't as good as you thought they'd be when you were sitting in their living room asking their parents to trust their son to you for four years. Inevitably kids will transfer, but that shouldn't change how we talk about it. These are kids, not cattle.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm certainly not trying to run Hare out of town.

I just doubt how good he's going to be, and how much he'll contribute to the overall success of the program.

If he improves enough to gain significant minutes on this team, he'll be good and he'll have to be, it's that simple.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If Hare or any other player stays or goes, will not
hinge on anything anyone here says or feels.
Nobody is trying to drive anyone away.
I wish every player made every shot and got every rebound for URI.
As I told Mike Powell Sr. nothing here is personal. It should never be so.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Really hoping Hare comes back. I think with another year of strength building, plus more competent post players to pair with he can be an extremely useful player for us and brings an element of shot-blocking and athleticism that I think we'd be hard pressed to replace.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Not that it matter to anyone, but I am 100% with TP on this one.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I definitely hope Jordan stays, 6' 10" athletes are hard to come by in the A10. I think he'll develop to be a solid contributor, but nothing close to what we were expecting from him coming in.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, Hare was originally a Baron recruit.

A lot of Baron recruits didn't pan out, for any number of reasons.

That doesn't mean that every single one of Hurley's recruits are going to be a home run, it's impossible to tell. But I like the odds a hell of a lot better.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Freshman big men often don't play -- they surely didn't under Baron - so I don't think people realize how over matched Outerbridge and Martell would have been if they got into more games as frosh. Hare's stats as a frosh are actually comparable to OO's as a sophomore.
OO (soph): 5.9 pts, 3.0 rebs, 50 percent shooter, 31 blocks
Hare (frosh): 5.2 pts., 4.0 rebs, 58.5 percent shooter, 48 blocks
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

I don't think it is fair to Hare to compare him to Brooks in any facet. Brooks has and always will be a stiff, honestly if you crunch the stats he is probably the worst player to survive all four years at URI. Not to mention he had Baron teaching him which means he wasn't being taught a damn thing. Hare as a freshmen is far and away better than Brooks could ever be.

WORST 4 YEAR PLAYER AT URI? I'm going to say Jason Francis is up there with Brooks. Any one else?
Last edited by jaywin86 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody Guy wrote:Not that it matter to anyone, but I am 100% with TP on this one.
It matters to me, RG!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, Jason Francis was a juco.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

With TP.

Hare isn't a 5, he isn't supposed to be the person putting a body on another team's 5. All year that's what he was asked to do.

Put Kevin Garnett down low on someone built like Shaq and see how that'd work. Play Tim Duncan at the point. Have Jon Lester bat cleanup. Have Tom Brady block Vince Wilfork.

Christ, I just switched from a back to a forward in rugby and I'm all kinds of confused, and I've been playing for a while. When you're not in your position, no matter the sport, you're not going to preform...especially right out of the box.

Jordan Hare isn't going to be a shooter. He isn't going to be a low post player. He isn't going to be a 300 lb body that's going to push people out of the paint.

Hare is a freak athlete that will throw down anything and everything above the rim because he's probably going to be the best athlete in the paint. He's going to be someone who will be a roaming defender and block the shit out of anyone. He was bodied up and depended on to play the post...and STILL had games where he'd block 5 shots.

Basketball is a team sport because you have some people that are better at some things than others. Everyone doesn't have to do everything great.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

BOOM. Droppin Einstein on your asses.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:With TP.

Hare isn't a 5, he isn't supposed to be the person putting a body on another team's 5. All year that's what he was asked to do.

Put Kevin Garnett down low on someone built like Shaq and see how that'd work. Play Tim Duncan at the point. Have Jon Lester bat cleanup. Have Tom Brady block Vince Wilfork.

Christ, I just switched from a back to a forward in rugby and I'm all kinds of confused, and I've been playing for a while. When you're not in your position, no matter the sport, you're not going to preform...especially right out of the box.

Jordan Hare isn't going to be a shooter. He isn't going to be a low post player. He isn't going to be a 300 lb body that's going to push people out of the paint.

Hare is a freak athlete that will throw down anything and everything above the rim because he's probably going to be the best athlete in the paint. He's going to be someone who will be a roaming defender and block the shit out of anyone. He was bodied up and depended on to play the post...and STILL had games where he'd block 5 shots.

Basketball is a team sport because you have some people that are better at some things than others. Everyone doesn't have to do everything great.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Haha, love it Blue Man!!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Blue Man wrote: “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Snaps for Blue Man, laying down some knowledge.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, whatever.
I've seen enough basketball to know, you still need to catch the ball
when it's thrown to you. You need to at least make a friggin layup. without getting the yips, if
you're being guarded. You still need to stay in front of your man on defense.
If you can't stay in the post you can't be a 5. If you have zero shooting technique, you can't be a 4.
Last I knew, that was about if for bigs.
You still need FUNDAMENTALS. You still need to work hard, on your weaknesses.
If it doesn't happen and you"re Usain Bolt, you still will suck.
Learn, improve, or become a non factor. Period.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rod, watch JaVale McGee clips from the NBA. At his best that is what you would project for Jordan Hare. If he ever got to that level regardless if he can hit a 15 footer or effectively guard the post he would still be a valuable member of the team.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan Hurley ‏@dhurley15 9m
We won on the court/strength work today.Great effort and attitude.Must now win in class & in study hall.Teams that put in the extra work win.

It comes down to Hare's willingness to put the effort in to improve.
Alley oops? Even Munford at 6'2" can do that. Couple of flashy blocks?
Despite ESPN Sports Center, blocks don't constitute great defense, if you get destroyed
by the man you're guarding on every other play.
I'd rather see a fundamentally sound player than one who does something
loud a couple of times a game.
It's about the steak, not the sizzle.