The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by theblueram »

The only choice is Cox. And if he is not the right choice, it will become clear in year two.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

theblueram wrote:The only choice is Cox. And if he is not the right choice, it will become clear in year two.
I agree. Let the DC era begin!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He will be getting a team with 3 players with NCAAT experience and a Top 30 recruiting class. Plus a bench load of guys. If he can't make something go, it will be very evident.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not only is it his performance, but who he picks for a staff is huge.

I would agree, by the end of year 2 we'll know if he's the guy to keep this program moving up.

We should be an NCAAT team his 2nd year, without question. Again, if everybody stays plus recruits....and he'll have recruited at least a couple of others in the meantime.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

theblueram wrote:He will be getting a team with 3 players with NCAAT experience and a Top 30 recruiting class. Plus a bench load of guys. If he can't make something go, it will be very evident.
I like what I know about him. I hope my instincts are on point. He has earned his shot at this position. I hope he does well, and coaches here for 10 years.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Please just get this announcement over with.
GO RAMS
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Is Bill Koch really gonna live tweet every inning of the Red Sox season? Who honestly needs that??
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

theblueram wrote:Sometimes I think some people want a new hire so we go through a rebuild.
theblueram wrote:The only choice is Cox. And if he is not the right choice, it will become clear in year two.
Conversely, sometimes I think people want to experiment with a complete unknown and waste 2-3 seasons, because they don't accept the fact that this is a rebuild, and instead of going through a straight-forward rebuild job, they want to putz around like this is a Mahattan Jaspers program instead of URI.

You want to hire the guy, give him top money, and then put a gun to his head and if he doesn't duplicate the success Hurley just had by year two, fire him. You alright there?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote:
theblueram wrote:Sometimes I think some people want a new hire so we go through a rebuild.
Conversely, sometimes I think people want to experiment with a complete unknown and waste 2-3 seasons, because they don't accept the fact that this is a rebuild, and instead of going through a straight-forward rebuild job, they want to putz around like this is a Mahattan Jaspers program instead of URI.

You want to hire the guy, give him top money, and then put a gun to his head and if he doesn't duplicate the success Hurley just had by year two, fire him. You alright there?
Yes. Should be NCAAT next year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote:Is Bill Koch really gonna live tweet every inning of the Red Sox season? Who honestly needs that??
C'est la Twitcher vie....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why should this be a rebuild? We've been talking about Xavier....why not be like them?

This isn't some Joe Schmoe that we're hiring....complete unknown? I doubt it.

I'm sure Thorr and Dooley have done their due diligence on Cox, and not just automatically given him the position because of the holdovers and recruits.

ANYBODY we hire will be somewhat of a gamble....that's not unusual almost anywhere.

Who out there looks like a slam dunk? There aren't many of them...and they all have jobs right now.

And Pitino isn't being considered...whatsoever.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I will say this: at least DC_Rams get's it, because you guys are in denial.

At least he gets that whether you hire David Cox or someone like Joe Dooley, it's the same deal: you need to temper your expectations because we just lost the entire nucleus of a senior loaded experienced team.

With Cox, arguably, there MAY be a few fewer player departures, be we don't know that for fact because none of us have a crystal ball.

NCAAT is a pipe dream.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We didn't know Hurley was going to be a success here either....we thought so....but it could have been different.

A high school coach for 9 years and 2 years at a low D1? Yeah a big last name but so what? He was a gamble. Had a lot to learn.

And it took a while for Dan to succeed here. Up until a little over a year ago, even though our record was getting better, who was sure of anything?
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

rambone 78 wrote:Why should this be a rebuild? We've been talking about Xavier....why not be like them?

This isn't some Joe Schmoe that we're hiring....complete unknown? I doubt it.

I'm sure Thorr and Dooley have done their due diligence on Cox, and not just automatically given him the position because of the holdovers and recruits.

ANYBODY we hire will be somewhat of a gamble....that's not unusual almost anywhere.

Who out there looks like a slam dunk? There aren't many of them...and they all have jobs right now.

And Pitino isn't being considered...whatsoever.
Our program is in a good spot. We are not on the level of X. That is attainable. We all want that.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jcru wrote:I will say this: at least DC_Rams get's it, because you guys are in denial.

At least he gets that whether you hire David Cox or someone like Joe Dooley, it's the same deal: you need to temper your expectations because we just lost the entire nucleus of a senior loaded experienced team.

With Cox, arguably, there MAY be a few fewer player departures, be we don't know that for fact because none of us have a crystal ball.

NCAAT is a pipe dream.
Holy sh!t! We agreed on something. Maybe you’re not so bad after all. Lol
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

DC_Rams wrote:
jcru wrote:I will say this: at least DC_Rams get's it, because you guys are in denial.

NCAAT is a pipe dream.
Holy sh!t! We agreed on something. Maybe you’re not so bad after all. Lol
You guys should spend a week together, bonding, anticipating the decision.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATP...please please get us the vomit emoji....
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

With Cox I wouldn’t say the dance is a pipe dream, even if it took us the non conference and some conference games to jell, a top four seed in the A-10 is certainly attainable as would be winning three to make the dance. Please hire Cox and let’s keep this train moving!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I'm all for Cox as the head coach but I really don't understand why people are acting like Dooley would be an awful hire. The guy has made 2 NCAA tournaments and in 4 out of his 5 years as head coach as either made the tournament or finished first in the conference. At a school like Florida Gulf Coast I'd say that's a very solid resume. I really don't see much difference between him and Oates, who people seem to think more highly of for whatever reason (I'm assuming only because of the Hurley and EC connection). I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't go with Cox but I think either of those guys could do well here and I'd like to see them land an a10 coaching job.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

jcru, what, exactly, outside of the coaching staff, constitutes a rebuild going into next season?

I'm genuinely curious to see how this program could be defined by a rebuild otherwise.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:I'm all for Cox as the head coach but I really don't understand why people are acting like Dooley would be an awful hire. The guy has made 2 NCAA tournaments and in 4 out of his 5 years as head coach as either made the tournament or finished first in the conference. At a school like Florida Gulf Coast I'd say that's a very solid resume. I really don't see much difference between him and Oates, who people seem to think more highly of for whatever reason (I'm assuming only because of the Hurley and EC connection). I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't go with Cox but I think either of those guys could do well here and I'd like to see them land an a10 coaching job.
Can't hire Dooley because...nepotism....
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Artificially deflating expectations isn't helpful.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:Artificially deflating expectations isn't helpful.
At all. It's more detrimental than expecting too much, in my opinion. Especially with this fanbase. Expecting too little is why we accepted mediocrity for so long.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The whole argument for Cox is continuity. If you're going to suck next year and the year after, what is even the point?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:The whole argument for Cox is continuity. If you're going to suck next year and the year after, what is even the point?
Just to argue. The choice is obvious for anyone paying attention closely.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox by landslide here too!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Odom wants P.Murph. Gotta love the boys sticking together.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Go with Cox and let's see the continuity with the program

I think we all have expectations of how we should do for the next couple of years if everyone stays

If we keep underachieving for the next couple of years based on the talent we put on the floor the seat will start to get warm
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

DC_Rams wrote:Holy sh!t! We agreed on something. Maybe you’re not so bad after all. Lol
It only takes about 6 years to get to know me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgAXCLt ... tu.be&t=79
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, DC.

You know what the ultimate irony here is? After I was the one questioning the hire, and then, they hire Cox... me, you, and ATP will be the only ones on here all next season telling everyone to be patient and give the guy a break when, from that whack-a-mole ooc schedule, "maybe" they win enough conference games to break 0.500 for the season.

That's just a preview as to how things go around here. The expectations are based on nonsense. Anyone standing outside of the forest can easily tell you we lost five redwoods. Losing Batman and Batman and three senior role players is neck and neck with losing: Tyson, Cat, ARD, Josh King, and Arigbabu in '98.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And URI made the NCAAT the following year winning the A10 conference tourney. Go figure.

And would have continued to, if Harrick had stayed.

I also honestly think that these 4 recruits as a group will end up better than the four 4 year seniors that just graduated.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Agree, that on talent they could have a great future. If two have JT's heart we can continue the run !
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

The more I think about it the more I would like to see cox and then find an assistant to groom as the next head coach.. There is a good chance that uri will always be a stepping stone job... Why not keep building from within.. Not a guarantee of success but something to consider..
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Next year was always a bonus year. Have fun watching the young players develop, maybe pull an upset or two, be a tough out in the A10s. The following year: back to dancing
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Happy Easter Ram Fans. Don’t see why we aren’t a Big Dance team next year.

Dowtin and Fatts by the end of the year will be the best backcourt in the A10. Cyril is one of the few URI big man ever that has gone up against a final four team and was the best front court player on the court.

We should be able to keep this going no matter who the next coach is.

GO RHODY!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Next year I will be very pleased with NIT, noticeable improvement as season progresses, and a win over PC
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I want to see what all 4 of our incoming freshmen can do, plus any late additions.

I think they are going to be kind of good lol.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That Tate interview on Rhody Rampage was pretty good. He is going to be great in the A10!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Yes! Ambassador Tate will be Great!!!
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

He looks as tall as Langevine and it's so very cool that Cyril was at the event, can't wait to see these young men in action for Rhody...
Go Rhody!!!
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

gorhody89 wrote:Next year I will be very pleased with NIT, noticeable improvement as season progresses, and a win over PC
We dance!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I agree with Brady, Happy Easter!!! and NCAA's or bust! Are we really trying to bring in our best recruiting class maybe ever to go to the NIT's? Yes we lose huge talent, I'll truly miss this graduating class, but we could be loaded and ready to go. The guys coming in, are coming here with the goal to be champions. I won't be upset when the team goes through their growing pains, one has to expect rough patches and the A10 should be on the rise, so winning in conference won't be exactly child's play, but I do expect to be in the bubble conversation or maybe better. Nothing wrong with expecting great results. I will be pleased if we go to the NIT's, either way, with any luck our next coach will be able to put all the pieces together by mid-season.
Go Rhody!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram wrote:That Tate interview on Rhody Rampage was pretty good. He is going to be great in the A10!
Here's the interview. I retweeted it from Nikc Coit of ABC 6.

UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Next year will be a development year, unless we grab a quality 5th year scorer. Won't be terrible but schedule is tough and lots of freshman to develop. IMO continuity in the staff is important for what is going to happen two years down the road, and beyond. We have the program on an upward trajectory now. The best chance to keep it heading upward lies with keeping the current program in place and that is with Cox.

Bringing in somebody like Dooley means a reboot, almost for sure. Do we really want to return to 4000 fans at home games? That's where we'll be if we bring in somebody new. Hurley will see it as a sign to grab Cox. Some players will move on. Different recruits coming in. At least three years to get it back on track. Casual fans dropping off the bandwagon. I don't think URI can afford to risk this. Just my dumb opinion.

Happy Easter to all!
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

UCH21377 wrote:Next year will be a development year, unless we grab a quality 5th year scorer. Won't be terrible but schedule is tough and lots of freshman to develop. IMO continuity in the staff is important for what is going to happen two years down the road, and beyond. We have the program on an upward trajectory now. The best chance to keep it heading upward lies with keeping the current program in place and that is with Cox.

Bringing in somebody like Dooley means a reboot, almost for sure. Do we really want to return to 4000 fans at home games? That's where we'll be if we bring in somebody new. Hurley will see it as a sign to grab Cox. Some players will move on. Different recruits coming in. At least three years to get it back on track. Casual fans dropping off the bandwagon. I don't think URI can afford to risk this. Just my dumb opinion.

Happy Easter to all!
Agreed I see next year as a repeat of the 2014-2015 season. Anything better is just icing on the cake. 2019-2020 will be a special year.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Standing next to Cyril at Dana looks like he is a legitimate 6’7” , maybe creeping up on 6’8”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

And I've officially done a 180 on any interest in slick, grief can make a man forget himself for a bit and I did, I don't want a guy like slick influencing our players. We have had the luxury of having mostly really likable, good young men come through the program, listening to the next group coming and you can tell that will continue, they all seem pretty likable. I don't even like slick, why would I want him guiding young men into adulthood? Grief cycle over! I will say that this is the equivalent of me kicking the tires on the old guy and the only thing I could come up with was selling seats in the short term everything else felt like baggage.
Go Rhody!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
theblueram wrote:That Tate interview on Rhody Rampage was pretty good. He is going to be great in the A10!
Here's the interview. I retweeted it from Nikc Coit of ABC 6.

The head coach is obviously one of the key connections a recruit makes. It however is not the only critical one. Relationships with the rest of the staff and the players are also important. Do not discount the connection of Tate's renewed commitment to URI after the Hurley departure and Cyril showing up to support him this weekend at the local all star event. Tate, being somewhat local has probably forged closer ties to the players with his numerous visits. He is coming to URI for the players as much as the coaches. Current Rhody players are also in frequent contact with the other recruits via social media. Their outreach is often the best recruiting.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

UCH21377 wrote:Next year will be a development year, unless we grab a quality 5th year scorer. Won't be terrible but schedule is tough and lots of freshman to develop. IMO continuity in the staff is important for what is going to happen two years down the road, and beyond. We have the program on an upward trajectory now. The best chance to keep it heading upward lies with keeping the current program in place and that is with Cox.

Happy Easter to all!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Well with the current upward momentum that URI has I would assume whoever gets the job should be able to bring in an impact 5th year senior scorer if that is a key to us Dancing next year. Thinking if Coach Cox has the inside track on the job he’s working on this as we speak.

GO RHODY!