URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by jcru »

That sounds like a Buru commit incoming.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Archie was not kidding about blowing it up lol
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I liked Alex, tons of athletic ability. Hope we get a good replacement.
GO RAMS
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Must be someone committing soon. Maybe the Australian Buru
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Ish and Samb have transferred. Assuming the intel, I received that Alex is going to be gone may be true.. But keep in mind I was told that if we do not land talent Alex would be welcome back if he decided to stay.
What are chances Ish comes back?
I think he's gone. Hope i'm wrong
Samb, Alex, Ish were the 3 I heard were leaving a month or so ago. I wish Alex the best. I hope this means we land Buru
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Must be someone committing soon. Maybe the Australian Buru
Must mean something.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Surprised it took this long
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

We have lost players that make up over 64 points per game and we were not good. The new players coming in do not make up that number. I just do not see us being that much better then what we were last year. I ask anyone to show me where I am wrong with the current roster.
The incoming Freshman impact is going to be minimum. Please stop saying the will be fighting for a starting position for that does not say much about the current players
Its going to be a long year if the three open spots are not filled with quality players
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago We have lost players that make up over 64 points per game and we were not good. The new players coming in do not make up that number. I just do not see us being that much better then what we were last year. I ask anyone to show me where I am wrong with the current roster.
The incoming Freshman impact is going to be minimum. Please stop saying the will be fighting for a starting position for that does not say much about the current players
Its going to be a long year if the three open spots are not filled with quality players
I’d say the biggest difference is experience. Last year we went into the season with 5+ players that had essentially zero college basketball minutes to their name.

This year we’re only going in with two freshmen, and all our transfers have played significant minutes at the D1 or JUCO level.

In fairness I still think we’re 1-2 pieces away from being competitive depending on if the staff thinks either freshmen is ready to play 10-15mpg next year
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago We have lost players that make up over 64 points per game and we were not good. The new players coming in do not make up that number. I just do not see us being that much better then what we were last year. I ask anyone to show me where I am wrong with the current roster.
My thoughts exactly.

Going to take even more time to gel than last year seeing how we have 2 season long contributors from last season and the rest are all new.

I’ll be happy if we finish over .500 and not expecting anything close to a Top 4 conference finish.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Alex will probably have to sit at his new destination.
Did like his length and athleticism but a work in progress.

Bilau had a major injury and is probably out through 1st semester or at least OOC and not sure how effective he will be upon return.
Rory still very raw, can shoot but needs to work on game speed and defense.
Foumena will be a RS freshman has much upside but has yet to play an NCAA game.
Brown has 2-years juco but never played Div. 1, he seems to play strong inside.

Unless we add more depth and talent, our frontcourt will continue to struggle.
We may need more help and hopefully experience than just Buru even if he does commit.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Like someone said before more experience in the frontcourt (when Buru commits or someone else), yes they’re only JUCOs, but they’re top 25 JUCOs that are miles better than Samb and Tchikou plus none of the A10 teams making a significant jump in talent and losing a lot as well (I’ll wait til everyone’s roster is finalized) I can at least see us being more well rounded and closer to .500 finish
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Archie was not kidding about blowing it up lol
good
:lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we suck again next year, does he blow it up again?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Does it still take over a year to learn the pack line defense or does that not apply anymore? :D
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I was having a problem envisioning Alex playing the 4 with either Brown, Bilau, or Foumena at the 5. I guess I won’t have to think about it anymore.

Now I can clearly see Foumena at the 5 with Brown at the 4.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
If we suck again next year, does he blow it up again?
We will never know.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
My thoughts exactly.

Going to take even more time to gel than last year seeing how we have 2 season long contributors from last season and the rest are all new.

I’ll be happy if we finish over .500 and not expecting anything close to a Top 4 conference finish.

With the roster being nearly settled, the pre—season A-10 coaches pole, will predict us to be where, 7-10th? Tell me.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
My thoughts exactly.

With the roster being nearly settled, the pre—season A-10 coaches pole, will predict us to be where, 7-10th? Tell me.
With all the transfers in and out, I think they are picking names out of a hat one by one.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My thoughts exactly.

Yeah I think your pretty accurate
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

The loss of Ish is more a symbolic hit than a substantative one. Good player, great person, but his production can be replaced.
He was our best player. I don't see his departure as a positive for the team.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago

Conversely, numerous mid-major best players are leaving for bigger programs so the same statement could be made about other programs. Hardly a URI-centric issue.
Ish should have left a year earlier if he was going to leave.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Biggest difference between this years recruits and last years-Experience. And that plays a bigger role than we know.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My thoughts exactly.

Can’t make any definitive predictions until the roster is full, only thing guaranteed is it won’t be Top 4.

So I guess that actually is a definitive prediction lol
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

Conversely, numerous mid-major best players are leaving for bigger programs so the same statement could be made about other programs. Hardly a URI-centric issue.
Ish should have left a year earlier if he was going to leave.
Oh yea? He should’ve left after his terrible sophomore year?

Surely he would’ve had multiple P6 offers after that tremendous season.

He stayed, got MUCH better, and had a healthy amount of tournament level teams after his services.

He leaves after his sophomore year and he’s looking at teams in lower conferences.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Biggest difference between this years recruits and last years-Experience. And that plays a bigger role than we know.
Exactly. We had a few guys last year who “could’ve been good”. That’s too much of a risk right now. Need experience and guys who contributed at D1 or JUCO.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If the league is the same as this year, who cares where they finish? It was a one bid league last year.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago If the league is the same as this year, who cares where they finish? It was a one bid league last year.
First or bust.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Now with Alex gone all the discussion about where he would fit is over.

Rory with all his limitations and inexperience (aside from shooting ability) is now our only true forward.
I guess maybe Zek but he was listed as a guard or wing at Bradley.
So I would say currently our biggest need is at PF, hopefully that will be Buru if he commits.

This roster still needs plenty of help, I am not totally sold on our lineup.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Now with Alex gone all the discussion about where he would fit is over.

Rory with all his limitations and inexperience (aside from shooting ability) is now our only true forward.
So I would say currently our biggest need is at PF, hopefully that will be Buru if he commits.

Yea, nobody should we sold on our lineup.

It's looking brutal yet again.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Now with Alex gone all the discussion about where he would fit is over.

The 4 and 5 in college are a lot less formalized than the NBA. I don’t think teams care to stuff players into certain positions and boxes. Flexibility is better unless you have a big man too good to come off the floor
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

The 4 and 5 in college are a lot less formalized than the NBA. I don’t think teams care to stuff players into certain positions and boxes. Flexibility is better unless you have a big man too good to come off the floor
I understand that, but too many question marks surrounding those possible flexible pieces.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

I understand that, but too many question marks surrounding those possible flexible pieces.
For sure. There will be a lot of new faces next year which will always lead to question marks. And I’m not here saying we’ll win or be atop the A10

But given that we have 3 scholarships still open, and 1 of those will likely go to a big man, you’ll enter next season with Rory, Brown, Foumena, TBD and Bilau (probably 2nd semester).

I’d argue that’s a lot more certainty and experience than we went into last season with
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Brutal is prob a bit harsh. And the roster can’t really be evaluated until it’s finished.

But IMO on paper House/Ish are a push and every other guy we added (Kortland > Bassy, Montgomery > Martin and Brown > anyone not named Bilau) is better than the guy they replaced on depth chart. Still need to add more scoring and rebounding. And would be great to pull a rabbit and land someone highly coveted.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Still need a 1 and a 4. I like what has been put together so far. Good building blocks.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

This is the team that will be on the floor for the upcoming year and I do not believe there will be any major addition to the team.
If the team is not that good there will be a complete turnover again. That is the way the system works.
Not one player added to the team makes me feel that the team will be that much better then last year.
There are no building blocks, you need a team that wins now and that is what everyone expects. I do hope I'm wrong but lets be realistic. How has this team gotten better or more experience, we had 5 (Carey, Leggett, Martin, Freeman and Thomas) experienced players last year and it did not make a difference. I'm not jumping for joy with the current lineup...Sorry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Brutal is prob a bit harsh. And the roster can’t really be evaluated until it’s finished.

But IMO on paper House/Ish are a push and every other guy we added (Kortland > Bassy, Montgomery > Martin and Brown > anyone not named Bilau) is better than the guy they replaced on depth chart. Still need to add more scoring and rebounding. And would be great to pull a rabbit and land someone highly coveted.
Yea there’s significant talent/experience improvement (but that’s not saying much), and I can’t see us being a 9 win team again, but it still probably won’t be pretty.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think it was already out there that Alex was going to transfer based on who we were targeting.

Personally, I love the kid. His attitude was exactly what you want out of anyone you're rooting for. He had phenomenal upside offensively.

Defensively he needed a lot of improvement - and that is something you can learn over time. Where I think he showed he's probably not a player at this level despite his rating, was an inability to box out smaller guys and get rebounds. We got killed on the glass this year.

And maybe it's out of necessity that he played the 4/5 but he isn't really a 4 or 5. Just a tall guy.

For everyone saying that we're going to be worse or they're not impressed with the roster - as BAR said on paper we're clearly improved. Loved Martin but he was bad. Bassy wasn't an A10 player in the least. Brown is definitely an improvement over Martin, he'd have to be. Anyone we're bringing in is an improvement over Bassy. House is certainly comparable to Ish. Weston and Rory are going to be key pieces next year and they've developed.

As freshmen, it's not hard to project that both Estevez and Dubsky will be better than Bassy was last year. Louie Kortright will also be better than Bassy.

Tchikou wasn't a rebounder, Brown is. On that alone I'd say improvement.

Foumena is supposedly a banger as well, not hard to make the assumption that he'll be better than Samb - who was awful.

Weston this year will certainly be comparable if not better than Carey last year.

Rory next year is going to be better than Martin was last year.

House is going to be comparable to Ish.

And we're obviously not done. Based on who we've lost and added, the team is most certainly better than we were last year.

Also, for everyone bemoaning the transfers and starting over...UConn replaced 70% of their team between 2 freshmen and 5 transfers. Then went on to win a title.

Now they'll lose Sanogo, Hawkins, and Alleyne at a minimum to transfer/draft, and at least Calcaterra as a graduate.

This is the new world. Doesn't mean an indication of good or bad on the part of the coaching staff.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Great post Blueman. I did not know that UConn replaced more than half their team.
rhodyram22
ARD

I really hope this is Buru.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago I really hope this is Buru.
I don't think you are going to be Wright
;)
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

;)
Yes Wright is visiting and if they push him for a commitment, he will probably be in.

Buru is the one we really need.

After that take the best player we can that's available.
rhodyram22
ARD

;)
I am always wright.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I think it was already out there that Alex was going to transfer based on who we were targeting.

Personally, I love the kid. His attitude was exactly what you want out of anyone you're rooting for. He had phenomenal upside offensively.

Defensively he needed a lot of improvement - and that is something you can learn over time. Where I think he showed he's probably not a player at this level despite his rating, was an inability to box out smaller guys and get rebounds. We got killed on the glass this year.

And maybe it's out of necessity that he played the 4/5 but he isn't really a 4 or 5. Just a tall guy.

For everyone saying that we're going to be worse or they're not impressed with the roster - as BAR said on paper we're clearly improved. Loved Martin but he was bad. Bassy wasn't an A10 player in the least. Brown is definitely an improvement over Martin, he'd have to be. Anyone we're bringing in is an improvement over Bassy. House is certainly comparable to Ish. Weston and Rory are going to be key pieces next year and they've developed.

As freshmen, it's not hard to project that both Estevez and Dubsky will be better than Bassy was last year. Louie Kortright will also be better than Bassy.

Foumena is supposedly a banger as well, not hard to make the assumption that he'll be better than Samb - who was awful.

Weston this year will certainly be comparable if not better than Carey last year.

And we're obviously not done. Based on who we've lost and added, the team is most certainly better than we were last year.

Also, for everyone bemoaning the transfers and starting over...UConn replaced 70% of their team between 2 freshmen and 5 transfers. Then went on to win a title.

Now they'll lose Sanogo, Hawkins, and Alleyne at a minimum to transfer/draft, and at least Calcaterra as a graduate.

This is the new world. Doesn't mean an indication of good or bad on the part of the coaching staff.
Yes, I do feel our roster will be much improved over last season, but that isn't saying much.
Whether or not that will take us to the top half of the conference is another question.
We will see when it is all said and done, I hope so.

Not sure House will equal the same output as Ish on both sides of the ball.
If he does, that will be huge.

From just a talent standpoint, I don't think Luis is as good as Bray, but we don't have that drama to deal with.

Zek is a better shooter than Martin but no sure he can be that same glue guy on defense and the boards.

Adding Foumena and Brown, plus a more experienced Rory should already be better than what we had.

I also feel very good about both freshman recruits Cam and Dubs who can provide much needed depth in the backcourt and can also stretch it.

Weston to me would be the X factor, he is probably the most gifted player on the roster.
Let's see if he steps up this season and becomes the player we all expected.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I think it was already out there that Alex was going to transfer based on who we were targeting.

Yes , I do feel our roster will be much improved over last season, but that isn't saying much.
Whether or not that will take us to the top half of the conference is another question.

From just a talent standpoint, I don't think Luis is as good as Bray, but we don't have that drama to deal with.

Zek is a better shooter than Martin but no sure he can be that same glue guy on defense and the boards.

Adding Foumena and Brown, plus a more experienced Rory should already be better than what we had.

I also feel very good about both freshman recruits Cam and Dubs who can provide much needed depth in the backcourt and can also stretch it.

Weston to me would be the X factor, he is probably the most gifted player on the roster.
You two guys are very optimistic. Every position is at least as good and most positions considerably better that this past year.

So how much higher in the standings do you see us from 14th?
Top 8?
Top 4?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not sure Rory has a breakout year this year. The coaches are putting a ton of work into him. At some point he'll just come into his own the way Josh King did. I think the trajectory might be more like the payoff comes in year 3. The acquisition of some true post players will free him up to start taking on and learning that kind of role from the wing. Hopefully, when that happens, he sticks with the guys who stuck with him, and he doesn't bolt for his last year.

He's got those happy feet, so obviously he doesn't belong under the basket, back to the basket, as you could see from that highlight video, Luis just running him over. He tried his best though, they all did. But that's why some of them are now gone.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm not sure Rory has a breakout year this year. The coaches are putting a ton of work into him. At some point he'll just come into his own the way Josh King did. I think the trajectory might be more like the payoff comes in year 3. The acquisition of some true post players will free him up to start taking on and learning that kind of role from the wing. Hopefully, when that happens, he sticks with the guys who stuck with him, and he doesn't bolt for his last year.

He's got those happy feet, so obviously he doesn't belong under the basket, back to the basket, as you could see from that highlight video, Luis just running him over. He tried his best though, they all did. But that's why some of them are now gone.
Who is Luis? Are you referring to Kortright? Or RJ Luis?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think it is more like:

House spells Bray
Luis spells Bassy
Montgomery spells a combination of Carey/Martin

Those are two positions, so hopefully Weston can share some of that with Montgomery.

Who spells Ish? In the absence of Pride, maybe that is Estevez? Or Wright? Or a committee? Or someone who still hasn't entered the portal yet? Maybe it comes down to luck, and whoever gels best with the rest of the guys who are out there, someone who is just on fire and seizes the opportunity and is accepted by the rest.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Who is Luis? Are you referring to Kortright? Or RJ Luis?
I don't know who RJ Luis is, so I guess that answers the question by default. We have a video of the URI Quinnipiac game highlights where Luis Kortright went right for Rory, and instead of standing his ground and taking the charge, his instinct was to back peddle as fast as he could all the way to the basket and Luis still chest bumped him for good measure.

edit

sorry I just realized you meant the UMass player. I thought you were referring to a player on this team, ramster
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Yes , I do feel our roster will be much improved over last season, but that isn't saying much.

You two guys are very optimistic. Every position is at least as good and most positions considerably better that this past year.

So how much higher in the standings do you see us from 14th?
Top 8?
Top 4?
Ramster, just taking a wild stab based on our current situation which can change daily plus what happens to the other A10 teams, I would say 7-11.