The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by bigappleram »

Tell Jay Wright and a host of other coaches moving towards small ball, 4 guard lineups that it’s a gimmick. Gimme a break, it’s where the game is moving if you are paying attention beyond URI. Not only were our 4 guards our best players it’s a trend that extends well beyond our program.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:Whoever gets the job, I would hope the expectations are at least the NIT next year.
I think it really depends on what the roster looks like, and that depends largely on who we hire. I think if it is anyone but Cox, you’re looking at a gutted roster and probably a rebuild on a similar timeline as what Hurley had. Next year will be a punt - likely in the 7-23 range or so based on the schedule - and the following year will be a really young team. Assuming that young team is at least talented, you’re looking at hopefully a 10-12 win team and in the third year you could be a bubble/NIT team. If we hire Cox and he retains all of the players, I think next year is a bubble/NIT team and the 2019-20 team will be the most talented one since the Elite Eight team, possibly better (not guaranteeing better than an Elite Eight, obviously, just saying the talent could be even better).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Iggy1979 wrote:I wouldn't downplay Dooley's resume
Was going to say the same. His uptempo pace is also very conducive to recruiting in today’s game. He’s never had less than 20 wins in a year at FGCU, so relative to his competition he’s performed well.

I actually like Becker more than most here, but between never recruiting high major players and his very slow pace, I couldn’t trust him to bring in the type of talent we’d need to stay on top of the A10.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

God, please NO DOOLEY OR BECKER! It will be back to mediocrity at best.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Running Ram wrote:
theblueram wrote:Whoever gets the job, I would hope the expectations are at least the NIT next year.
So, assuming a full complement of players, I'd say there is enough talent to at least be in a bubble convo by tourney time, we are posting in "NCAA's or Bust!"

I'd say NIT would have been the goal even if Hurley was here. Fact is we have a TOUGH non-conference schedule (probably toughest its been in 10+ years). Neutral vs WVU, Home vs Alabama, Home vs Nevada, Away vs PC, and probably two teams out of Colorado, TCU, and UNLV for the Diamond Head Classic. That's potentially six Quad 1 games right there.

Add in the fact that there will be at least 5 players playing meaningful minutes that didn't play any college basketball games last year (4 frosh plus CT). That would have been a tall task for Hurley in the non-conference, but the team would probably be really good by conference play. Now add in the fact that there will be a new coach at the helm, that's just going to make things that much more difficult.

Could we be a bubble team? Sure, but we more than likely are not IMO
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m pretty certain we keep this team intact if we hire Cox.

18-21 y/o players will not hold our AD hostage tho, he’ll make the best choice. Based on what is being tossed around above I’d take the chance on Cox.

Interesting that all the Pitino talk has died down. KMac confirmed on WEEI this morning that those tires were kicked. I doubt we’d lose any recruits if Pitino was hired and at age 65 Rhody would be his last job. The coach in waiting could be hired to sit next to him.

I follow Penders on twitter and he hasn’t made a peep either. Does anyone know if he’s still on the unofficial consultation list?

The lid remains tight on the rumors - which is excellent.

Still feeling good about the process!

Let’s Go Rhody!!!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

DC_Rams wrote:God, please NO DOOLEY OR BECKER! It will be back to mediocrity at best.
Why do you say that about Dooley? Better recruiting history than Cox and has done nothing but win in his first head gig. If you don't like Dooley then you must hate Cox. Or...you are just worried about the 2018 class which, like I said, is a problem.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:God, please NO DOOLEY OR BECKER! It will be back to mediocrity at best.
Why do you say that about Dooley? Better recruiting history than Cox and has done nothing but win in his first head gig. If you don't like Dooley then you must hate Cox. Or...you are just worried about the 2018 class which, like I said, is a problem.
He actually didn't win in his first gig, although that was 20 years ago. He won a lot more in his 2nd gig.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Dooley is an east coast guy with a decade of big time recruiting experience and a winner as a head guy. Downplaying "he only kept what the previous guy did" is so dumb. That's exactly what we are looking for! Some of you guys are so in the bag for Cox its ridiculous. Dooley's resume>>>>>>Cox. Frankly, a guy like Dooley has the chops to keep the 2018 class together.
Save the name calling for somebody and somewhere else. Did you check his record from his gig at East Carolina? Steadily downhill. And he's lived off Enfield and the "Dunk City" rep. That's wearing off. They don't care if he stays or goes in Ft Myers. Plus he's a Midwest guy to boot; 10 years in Kansas. This hire would be a disaster. Take Pitino first.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In his 3rd and 4th year (his last) at ECU, when he was playing with mostly his own guys, he went 10-17 and 13-14.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

UCH21377 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Dooley is an east coast guy with a decade of big time recruiting experience and a winner as a head guy. Downplaying "he only kept what the previous guy did" is so dumb. That's exactly what we are looking for! Some of you guys are so in the bag for Cox its ridiculous. Dooley's resume>>>>>>Cox. Frankly, a guy like Dooley has the chops to keep the 2018 class together.
Save the name calling for somebody and somewhere else. Did you check his record from his gig at East Carolina? Steadily downhill. And he's lived off Enfield and the "Dunk City" rep. That's wearing off. They don't care if he stays or goes in Ft Myers. Plus he's a Midwest guy to boot; 10 years in Kansas. This hire would be a disaster. Take Pitino first.
Not much name calling in his post at all...
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

More disgusting public displays of Pitino schilling in today's Providence Journal:

Bill Reynolds pimped Pitino today in his Saturday FWIW column. It was titled Pitino worth a shot for URI?
Link: http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920

There was also a letter to the editor from someone supporting Pitino. It stated he was:

a local legend and prodigal basketball son that would be the answer to our last-second 50-foot jumper. Yes indeed, that buzzer beater is Rhode Island's one-time and still-favorite basketball coach: Rick Pitino

This letter certainly did not seem to me if it had been written by a real URI hoops fan. Given that many of the responses to URI basketball pieces by local media members often do not come from URI supporters (if you google many of the commentators, you will quickly find out they are PC fans), I was skeptical this one did. I therefore googled the name and location for the writer. I must say I was quite amused when one of the first returned results that came up was related to an operator of a RI based TRASH RECYCLING company. While I cannot be 100% certain (although not a common name) this is the person that actually wrote the letter to the editor, if it was, it would seem to make perfect sense.

Letter Link:
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920

Unfortunately, the Louisville Courier-Journal later referenced both of these giving them an even larger audience. I myself however think it very safe to assume that neither source for these was really interested in what was best for URI basketball nor are they representative of the URI administration or great majority of its fans.

Louisville Courier-Journal link:
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 474175002/
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dooley or Becker would make sense if we were coming out of a baron type situation.
It would at best be a rebuild and then dan hurley all over again. Once they reach the tournament they go after 3 to 5 years.

Or keep the best chance to continue the momentum.
Keep a young confident and extremely talented team that believes in David Cox.
Get to at least the NIT next year and a really great chance to dance again with potentially the most talented team we've had.
How likely is it that Cox could possibly be so bad that he can't get such a talented roster to win? Or to put us in a disastrous circumstance?
It's not likely.
It just seems more likely that he's our best bet.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

jcru wrote:I know this is unpopular, but that could still happen no matter who get's hired.

I have steadfast to the opinion that the only person who could truly keep the recruits coming who came to play for Hurley was, in fact, Hurley.

Clearly the desire to hire Cox revolves around the attempt to keep that from happening, and I really do hope they all stay if he does get hired.

Just don't be completely shocked if that isn't the case, though. Unfortunately, no matter what announcement is made next week, there is still another shoe that needs to drop.
If Cox stays we keep the recruits... Dana and Tyrese are clearly all in, but Jermaine didn't say anything until he met with Cox...They meet and he tweets Rhode Island is home...This couldn't be more black and white.

If David Cox is the next coach and these guys don't come everyone should be shocked.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dooley is close to ECU deal.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Xavier just hired their associate head coach - let’s do the same!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Section104 wrote:Xavier just hired their associate head coach - let’s do the same!
Xavier has been to 27 NCAA Tournaments, 15 of the last 17. I would have thought they would have a bevy of sexy high profile candidates lined up for that job. I guess however they thought the best option was in house. I wonder if their fans are majorly disappointed? ;)
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:Dooley is close to ECU deal.
Where have you seen that? Yes, he's their leading candidate, but ECU seems to be waiting to see what happens here, so they are also reaching out to other candidates....unless something has changed in the last 24 hours.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
Section104 wrote:Xavier just hired their associate head coach - let’s do the same!
Xavier has been to 27 NCAA Tournaments, 15 of the last 17. I would have thought they would have a bevy of sexy high profile candidates lined up for that job. I guess however they thought the best option was in house. I wonder if their fans are majorly disappointed?
I think it's likely the opposite. They've had such a run of success because this is how they do it. If they'd changed it up now, their fans would have been rightfully upset. URI should model itself after Xavier and Butler. It's a formula that works.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:
Xavier has been to 27 NCAA Tournaments, 15 of the last 17. I would have thought they would have a bevy of sexy high profile candidates lined up for that job. I guess however they thought the best option was in house. I wonder if their fans are majorly disappointed?
I think it's likely the opposite. They've had such a run of success because this is how they do it. If they'd changed it up now, their fans would have been rightfully upset. URI should model itself after Xavier and Butler. It's a formula that works.
That I believe was sarcasm TP.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK good! Can never tell anymore.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

More like URI not interested.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Exactly
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

bigappleram wrote:Tell Jay Wright and a host of other coaches moving towards small ball, 4 guard lineups that it’s a gimmick. Gimme a break, it’s where the game is moving if you are paying attention beyond URI. Not only were our 4 guards our best players it’s a trend that extends well beyond our program.
I agree that this type of basketball is the trend, but I also believe that off you are going to be truly successful and go on a deep run in the tourney with it, you need a few knockdown 3 point shooters...not the streaky ones...unless they happen to be on month long hot streak from 3...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say no to Dooley and Becker and a big yes to David Cox !!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I agree. We need to have a program. Not a rebuild every time we have a new coach.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote:If Cox stays we keep the recruits... Dana and Tyrese are clearly all in, but Jermaine didn't say anything until he met with Cox...They meet and he tweets Rhode Island is home...This couldn't be more black and white.

If David Cox is the next coach and these guys don't come everyone should be shocked.
I don't see the twitter messages like that at all. I do have some experience with Twitter. The one thing about Twitter is it is very difficult for someone to pin you down with your message if you are purposely trying to be vague.

The first and last one at least seem somewhat pointed. That middle one by Harris: dozens of people wrote to him in real time, while he was making the tweet, over and over, and he wouldn't answer any of them. That's soo twitter, right? If you are a pseudo celebrity of any kind, you can just ignore the responses. That's hardly an iron clad contract there. If you ask his coach, he hasn't made a commitment to anyone yet.

I hope when they hire Cox everyone stays put. That obviously is the goal here. I wouldn't base it off of a few tweets on Twitter is all.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:More disgusting public displays of Pitino schilling in today's Providence Journal:

Bill Reynolds pimped Pitino today in his Saturday FWIW column. It was titled Pitino worth a shot for URI?
Link: http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920

There was also a letter to the editor from someone supporting Pitino. It stated he was:

a local legend and prodigal basketball son that would be the answer to our last-second 50-foot jumper. Yes indeed, that buzzer beater is Rhode Island's one-time and still-favorite basketball coach: Rick Pitino

This letter certainly did not seem to me if it had been written by a real URI hoops fan. Given that many of the responses to URI basketball pieces by local media members often do not come from URI supporters (if you google many of the commentators, you will quickly find out they are PC fans), I was skeptical this one did. I therefore googled the name and location for the writer. I must say I was quite amused when one of the first returned results that came up was related to an operator of a RI based TRASH RECYCLING company. While I cannot be 100% certain (although not a common name) this is the person that actually wrote the letter to the editor, if it was, it would seem to make perfect sense.

Letter Link:
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920

Unfortunately, the Louisville Courier-Journal later referenced both of these giving them an even larger audience. I myself however think it very safe to assume that neither source for these was really interested in what was best for URI basketball nor are they representative of the URI administration or great majority of its fans.

Louisville Courier-Journal link:
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 474175002/

Can't believe all the posters that would rather accept being a bubble/NIT team, rather than hiring a HOF coach...whatever...fans....I guess
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Iggy - you have a good feel for this. Who do you think next coach is?
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

If Dan has taught us anything, it's that URI is still a stepping stone and not a destination. If we go outside the current staff, that will certainly continue to be the case. We'll have a few years of rebuild followed by a couple of years of being in contention....followed by losing our coach and starting over again. Yes...I get that, regardless of whether or not we lose players in the coaching transition, Dan has left us in a better place than where we were 6 years ago, but I am all for trying continuity now. There is no sure thing available out there (unless you want to sell your soul to the Dev...I mean Pitino). So it's a risk either way...Cox vs Dooley, Becker, Etc... I'd rather take the risk and stay with Cox. He, at the very least, gives us continuity and I don't think there is any compelling reason he can't be just as successful as the outside prospects. Obviously, we don't have to give him the 2M we were going to give Hurley, but certainly he should be paid fairly. I think it is also very important that we do increase the salaries of the rest of the staff (as we would have done for Dan) and work on upgrading our assistants. My gut tells me that we have a better chance at a long term coach if we build from within. Maybe that is Cox. Maybe he stays only long enough to be successful here and then earn himself a sexier position. At that time keep promoting from within. That shows the team and recruits stability and it is more likely we find our Few, McKillop, Cheney, etc...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:If Dan has taught us anything, it's that URI is still a stepping stone and not a destination. If we go outside the current staff, that will certainly continue to be the case. We'll have a few years of rebuild followed by a couple of years of being in contention....followed by losing our coach and starting over again. Yes...I get that, regardless of whether or not we lose players in the coaching transition, Dan has left us in a better place than where we were 6 years ago, but I am all for trying continuity now. There is no sure thing available out there (unless you want to sell your soul to the Dev...I mean Pitino). So it's a risk either way...Cox vs Dooley, Becker, Etc... I'd rather take the risk and stay with Cox. He, at the very least, gives us continuity and I don't think there is any compelling reason he can't be just as successful as the outside prospects. Obviously, we don't have to give him the 2M we were going to give Hurley, but certainly he should be paid fairly. I think it is also very important that we do increase the salaries of the rest of the staff (as we would have done for Dan) and work on upgrading our assistants. My gut tells me that we have a better chance at a long term coach if we build from within. Maybe that is Cox. Maybe he stays only long enough to be successful here and then earn himself a sexier position. At that time keep promoting from within. That shows the team and recruits stability and it is more likely we find our Few, McKillop, Cheney, etc...
I agree. We have been recruiting '19 and '20 class already for a year. As long as Cox can get his assistants to continue to recruit at the same high level, and names an assistant that can potentially succeed him, we can keep this thing going. Otherwise, we are looking at another rebuild.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Small ball isnt a trend. The warriors happen to have an unbeleivable collection of shooters. And luck. Kawhi Leonard’s injury last year? Durant was on a team that should have put them away and he joined them.

Jay wright? He’s been playing guard heavy for years. Finally won it all. With a team that was big. Hart played like 3 on that team. Basically a classic center and a San Perkins type 4man in Jenkins. It’s a myth. Like Dan Hurley left Wagner for uri because Wagner was a 1bid job and he missed out. Nothing to do with the rest of what comes with stepping up a level. You can’t separate the hype/money/respect from the higher position. You can’t ignore the height on the nova team that won it all.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

What this off season has shown is that even a
School like Xavier is a stepping stone school. The only schools that aren’t are the absolute Blue chip programs like Duke, Kentucky Kansas, etc..every other school is a stepping stone job!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Even Kansas was a stepping stone to Tobacco Road....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Small ball isnt a trend. The warriors happen to have an unbeleivable collection of shooters. And luck. Kawhi Leonard’s injury last year? Durant was on a team that should have put them away and he joined them.

Jay wright? He’s been playing guard heavy for years. Finally won it all. With a team that was big. Hart played like 3 on that team. Basically a classic center and a San Perkins type 4man in Jenkins. It’s a myth. Like Dan Hurley left Wagner for uri because Wagner was a 1bid job and he missed out. Nothing to do with the rest of what comes with stepping up a level. You can’t separate the hype/money/respect from the higher position. You can’t ignore the height on the nova team that won it all.
Really, 4 perimeter players playing face to the basket with 1 true center isn't a trend? Check the final four teams. No one has a traditional 4 man...Michigan and Kansas have height at the 4 but both guys play on the perimeter and are not PFs. Nova and Loyola both play 4 guards. Yes that nova team had Jenkins who was a beefy 6'6", but he was not a traditional PF. And nothing like Sam Perkins who is a classic 4 who played a lot of time with his back to basket. The game is moving towards a more Euro style emphasizing cutting, shooters and ball skills. The low post shot has been proven to be one of the most inefficient shots to take. It goes a lot further than the Warriors.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:If Dan has taught us anything, it's that URI is still a stepping stone and not a destination. If we go outside the current staff, that will certainly continue to be the case. We'll have a few years of rebuild followed by a couple of years of being in contention....followed by losing our coach and starting over again. Yes...I get that, regardless of whether or not we lose players in the coaching transition, Dan has left us in a better place than where we were 6 years ago, but I am all for trying continuity now. There is no sure thing available out there (unless you want to sell your soul to the Dev...I mean Pitino). So it's a risk either way...Cox vs Dooley, Becker, Etc... I'd rather take the risk and stay with Cox. He, at the very least, gives us continuity and I don't think there is any compelling reason he can't be just as successful as the outside prospects. Obviously, we don't have to give him the 2M we were going to give Hurley, but certainly he should be paid fairly. I think it is also very important that we do increase the salaries of the rest of the staff (as we would have done for Dan) and work on upgrading our assistants. My gut tells me that we have a better chance at a long term coach if we build from within. Maybe that is Cox. Maybe he stays only long enough to be successful here and then earn himself a sexier position. At that time keep promoting from within. That shows the team and recruits stability and it is more likely we find our Few, McKillop, Cheney, etc...
I agree. We have been recruiting '19 and '20 class already for a year. As long as Cox can get his assistants to continue to recruit at the same high level, and names an assistant that can potentially succeed him, we can keep this thing going. Otherwise, we are looking at another rebuild.
The big difference will be that they won’t be recruiting for a Hurley. Cox has been a good recruiter, but it sure helps when you have a head coach with that last name.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:There could be a candidate not mentioned publicly to this point, but if it were those three then Dooley and Becker would basically be props. No disrespect to them, but neither would represent a sure enough thing or a big enough upgrade to warrant starting this program over from scratch.

What are you expecting? The last two hires URI made were already D1 coaches. One had just two years as a D1 head coach and came from Wagner. The other had a longer tenure as a head coach but came from St Bonaventure. Florida Gulf Coast and Vermont are similar type schools but had actually had more recent NCAA history than either Wagner or SBU. For the most part, any head coach interested in URI is likely coming from a team/league below URI/A-10. It is just how it works.
I think there is a huge difference between Dan's experience at Wagner and Baron's at SBU, and I view Dooley and Becker as closer to Baron. They've both been in their current jobs for long enough that if they really had "it" they'd have already moved past those posts. Dooley is rumored to be a strong candidate at ECU. To me, that's probably about right. Someone like Dan at Wagner won't last in that role for more than a couple of years before they're identified and moved up. I think to have a chance to get the kind of needle-mover that I'd want, you need to either give an assistant their first job or get in really early on someone that is clearly on a rocket trajectory. I'd view Nate Oats this way, but not Becker or Dooley, who I see more as "adequate" and "competent" but not future stars as coaches.
Tom Penders had not exactly set the world on fire before coming to URI so I disagree with your premise. Dooley was very young when he got his first head coaching job, has a good deal of experience in multiple roles, and is probably about to hit his prime.

For the record, I have nothing against David Cox and appreciate the job he has done so far at URI.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hurley Show wrote:
theblueram wrote:
The big difference will be that they won’t be recruiting for a Hurley. Cox has been a good recruiter, but it sure helps when you have a head coach with that last name.
From what I hear, the players want Cox to stay. Take that for what it's worth. Who is Travis Steele anyway?
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

theblueram wrote:
Hurley Show wrote:
theblueram wrote:
From what I hear, the players want Cox to stay. Take that for what it's worth.
Cool, thanks. Don’t get me wrong, I want Cox to get the job. It just might be tougher to recruit initially without that Hurley name.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hurley Show wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Hurley Show wrote: The big difference will be that they won’t be recruiting for a Hurley. Cox has been a good recruiter, but it sure helps when you have a head coach with that last name.
Cool, thanks. Don’t get me wrong, I want Cox to get the job. It just might be tougher to recruit initially without that Hurley name.
He’s recruited fine without the Hurley name before Hurley. His rep was established long ago.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cox would continue to get players out of DC. That's fine with me. If Ty is still here, he's got New England. Get another assistant with good NY connections and maybe TJ gets 3rd. He's got Michigan and the mid-west.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Hurley Show wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Hurley Show wrote: The big difference will be that they won’t be recruiting for a Hurley. Cox has been a good recruiter, but it sure helps when you have a head coach with that last name.
I actually disagree, outside of NY/NJ area I don't think the Hurley name means that much to recruits. Considering that lately most of our guys are from the DMV, I don't think this will be much of an issue. Time will tell though
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Will Travis Steele (who is that?) be able to recruit when Chris Mack is not at Xavier? I'm guessing yes.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

What about Porter Moser? Heard he only made 420K last year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sometimes I think some people want a new hire so we go through a rebuild.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Moser had been a head coach for 12 seasons before this year and never finished better than 5th in his league (Sun Belt, MVC and, briefly before Loyola moved to MVC, the Horizon). He's also spent his entire career in the Midwest. On the plus side, he's never lost a tournament game in 8 tries (won the CBI in 2015).
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

TruePoint wrote:Moser had been a head coach for 12 seasons before this year and never finished better than 5th in his league (Sun Belt, MVC and, briefly before Loyola moved to MVC, the Horizon). He's also spent his entire career in the Midwest. On the plus side, he's never lost a tournament game in 8 tries (won the CBI in 2015).
Nope, not interested anymore. Remove his name from the hat.