The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Goodman tweeted early this AM.....Names buzzing at URI....Cox, Becker, Dooley. Don't tweet so I can't post this.

It's Cox by a landslide if so, I would think.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How excited would people be here if either Dooley or Becker is named our head coach?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:How excited would people be here if either Dooley or Becker is named our head coach?
<yawn>
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Cordishi extolling the benefits of hiring slick Rick this morning. Ugh
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Pirate Radio ☠️‏ @pirateradio1250 · 18h18 hours ago
HOT READ: Joe Dooley remains as the clear front-runner for the #ECU job but whether the Pirates can land the #FGCU coach could depend on how serious of a candidate he is for the #RhodeIsland vacancy
http://www.reflector.com/ECU/2018/03/30/Dooley.html
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote:Cordishi extolling the benefits of hiring slick Rick this morning. Ugh
Not "like"..."LOVE" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I wouldn't downplay Dooley's resume
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:The presser is on Friday because of media availability, otherwise it would be Thursday.
I presume KMac will be there for the ProJo since Koch is now with the Red Sox. Has anyone heard who the new basketball beat writer is going to be?
Bill will continue to do both. There's not much overlap unless URI goes to Final Four!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If they have a decision on Wednesday and wait until Friday to announce it because of "media availability " then Thorr is getting bad advice.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If those are the 3 options then it should be Cox in a landslide.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I didn't know that Dooley played at St. Benedicts.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I believe an announcement and a press conference would be two different things. They would announce on Wednesday and have the press conference on Friday very similar to what happened with Hurley and UCONN
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There could be a candidate not mentioned publicly to this point, but if it were those three then Dooley and Becker would basically be props. No disrespect to them, but neither would represent a sure enough thing or a big enough upgrade to warrant starting this program over from scratch.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote:I believe an announcement and a press conference would be two different things. They would announce on Wednesday and have the press conference on Friday very similar to what happened with Hurley and UCONN
Sort of agree. They may not have an official, formal announcement until the press conference. But an unofficial announcement would occur via media reporting that so and so will be the next URI coach.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know that Dooley is considered to be a great recruiter. But that was at Kansas for 10 years. I'm sure he got good players at FGCU too. What would he get here? He's only had one great year, record wise, as a head coach, and several good years. I don't know. Is he a much better candidate than Cox? That's hard to say, since Cox has no track record as a head coach. If Thorr wants experience, he goes with Dooley or Becker. He also knows Cox well and has to project what kind of HC Cox would be. Might not be an easy decision.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:There could be a candidate not mentioned publicly to this point, but if it were those three then Dooley and Becker would basically be props. No disrespect to them, but neither would represent a sure enough thing or a big enough upgrade to warrant starting this program over from scratch.

What are you expecting? The last two hires URI made were already D1 coaches. One had just two years as a D1 head coach and came from Wagner. The other had a longer tenure as a head coach but came from St Bonaventure. Florida Gulf Coast and Vermont are similar type schools but had actually had more recent NCAA history than either Wagner or SBU. For the most part, any head coach interested in URI is likely coming from a team/league below URI/A-10. It is just how it works.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think people thought that once word got around on the $2m for Dan, some unexpected names might appear...maybe they did and we don't know or we passed.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:Cordishi extolling the benefits of hiring slick Rick this morning. Ugh

Cordischi is only schilling for him as he probably wants a job on a Pitino staff. He does after all have prior experience in contracting hookers. Someone like Rick would appreciate that job qualification.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:I think people thought that once people heard $2m for Dan, some unexpected names might appear...maybe they did and we don't know or we passed.

The 2M for Dan was for an established coach that had already built a program in Kingston, had success, and was poised for future success. Any new coach would not have those credentials and should not be offered the same proposed compensation.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I wouldn't downplay Dooley's resume
I would not either. I'd prefer an experienced head coach.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The timeline for Dooley makes sense. He's in San Antonio for the Final 4. He is speaking at a coaches convention and is also there supporting his friend, Bill Self. He would fly up here for an interview on Tuesday and a decision and an announcement would be made on Wednesday
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote:

Cordischi is only schilling for him as he probably wants a job on a Pitino staff. He does after all have prior experience in contracting hookers. Someone like Rick would appreciate that job qualification.
Hey now!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote:

Maybe they could get each other friends-and-family discounts.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The only thing I know about East Carolina is that back in the early 90's/late 80's, URI and ECU used to battle it out for the #1 and #2 spots as the Playboy Magazine Top Party Schools in the country.

Scott Cordischi still getting hummers in the Hummer? I know, to err is human, but the guy was a newlywed for crying out loud. The embarrassment his poor wife must have suffered through.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote:The only thing I know about East Carolina is that back in the early 90's/late 80's, URI and ECU used to battle it out for the #1 and #2 spots as the Playboy Magazine Top Party Schools in the country.

Scott Cordischi still getting hummers in the Hummer? I know, to err is human, but the guy was a newlywed for crying out loud. The embarrassment his poor wife must have suffered through.

He is further embarrassing himself pimping Pitino for the URI job. He should just stop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That said, Dooley is an intriguing candidate.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

jcru wrote:That said, Dooley is an intriguing candidate.
Is he intriguing enough to start over for? Is he head and shoulders above David Cox to risk starting over? Personally, I don't think so.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody here really know what kind of head coach David Cox would be? I don't think we can say he's a better candidate. We have no idea. He might end up being a great head coach. But at this point, we don't know.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Why Dooley? He took a FGCU program that the previous guy built and basically kept it level, at best. Would like to think we could do better than that if hiring from outside.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:There could be a candidate not mentioned publicly to this point, but if it were those three then Dooley and Becker would basically be props. No disrespect to them, but neither would represent a sure enough thing or a big enough upgrade to warrant starting this program over from scratch.

What are you expecting? The last two hires URI made were already D1 coaches. One had just two years as a D1 head coach and came from Wagner. The other had a longer tenure as a head coach but came from St Bonaventure. Florida Gulf Coast and Vermont are similar type schools but had actually had more recent NCAA history than either Wagner or SBU. For the most part, any head coach interested in URI is likely coming from a team/league below URI/A-10. It is just how it works.
I think there is a huge difference between Dan's experience at Wagner and Baron's at SBU, and I view Dooley and Becker as closer to Baron. They've both been in their current jobs for long enough that if they really had "it" they'd have already moved past those posts. Dooley is rumored to be a strong candidate at ECU. To me, that's probably about right. Someone like Dan at Wagner won't last in that role for more than a couple of years before they're identified and moved up. I think to have a chance to get the kind of needle-mover that I'd want, you need to either give an assistant their first job or get in really early on someone that is clearly on a rocket trajectory. I'd view Nate Oats this way, but not Becker or Dooley, who I see more as "adequate" and "competent" but not future stars as coaches.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Never underestimate the "X" component here at URI, TP.

For all of us that were in agony here during the Baron Error, there were almost an equal amount that thought what he was doing was fine. Maybe the powers feeling that Dooley could be a step up from Baron and that's what they are looking for, an incremental step up vs the unknown.

Don't forget, there were plenty that were hoping that Billy Baron would be enough to secure a few more years for Baron Sr.

We'll see, either way, it's going to be a step down from Hurley. Hopefully they make the best choice.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I believe that the current president and AD have a perspective similar to that which I expressed. I know that is different from the approach URI has taken in the past. We'll see what happens.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I give Thorr and his team credit for keeping everything so quiet. It is hard to keep things quiet in this period of social media overload. The longer it goes without rumors, the more I think Cox gets his shot. Are there any veteran assistants, or previous head coaches that could help DC?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

TP, I've actually come to grips with Cox getting the job. This could be like URI's "Pete Carroll" hire, in the sense of: going from ferocious disciplinarian in Parcells, to the "everyone is mature enough to police themselves, we're all professionals" looseness of Carroll. At least based on what Jersey Joe previously said.

I don't really have a problem with Cox per se, it's just that every time URI reaches the pinnacle of success (in 1998-99, now in 2017-18), they follow the coaching departure with the most baffling hiring process imaginable. Apparently, it takes complete stagnation (Skinner, Baron) to attract top level coaches out there, giant salaries and NCAA runs don't seem to do the trick.

Sooo, in that sense, that could be what they are looking for in a Dooley. Give him a shot, at least keep the program threading water, better success would be a pleasant surprise, but then the next hire will be the big one. Who knows.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Dooley is an east coast guy with a decade of big time recruiting experience and a winner as a head guy. Downplaying "he only kept what the previous guy did" is so dumb. That's exactly what we are looking for! Some of you guys are so in the bag for Cox its ridiculous. Dooley's resume>>>>>>Cox. Frankly, a guy like Dooley has the chops to keep the 2018 class together.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Dooley, to me, would be a marginally better hire than the Anthony Grant hire at Dayton. I don’t think we should be hiring a coach that would likely accept the ECU job if not offered by URI. He’s in a low mid major conference and hasn’t exactly rolled through unscathed despite superior talent.

Cox, Preston Murphy, Oats, Larranaga and others excite me much more despite the fact the majority of that list have no head coaching experience.

Larranaga, in my opinion, is the most intriguing if we go in different direction.

Dooley is a big pass from me.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Dooley is an east coast guy with a decade of big time recruiting experience and a winner as a head guy. Downplaying "he only kept what the previous guy did" is so dumb. That's exactly what we are looking for! Some of you guys are so in the bag for Cox its ridiculous. Dooley's resume>>>>>>Cox. Frankly, a guy like Dooley has the chops to keep the 2018 class together.
We shouldn’t make decisions based on recruits, but Dan has 3 or 4 scholarships available at Uconn and an associate head coach role ready to offer to Cox. I do not see a scenario where if we lose Cox that Harris and Adams (at a minimum) don’t follow Cox and Hurley to Uconn.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

I am glad that Thor is running this process and not the people on here who are afraid of losing a recruit/player. Any good new hire has a realistic chance of keeping the current players (most do not want to uproot leave their friends behind and sit out a year) and at least some of the recruiting class, in addition to his own current pipeline of relationships. I am hoping URI spends near the limit of the resources available to keep the program moving forward. Maybe David Cox gets a nice raise to stay on in his current capacity? Jermaine Harris is not Lamar Odom/Sly Williams type prospect, people need to get some perspective.

I also think Dan Hurley will not even make the final four over the next ten years. He is a very capable coach but not one of the greats. I'm not that upset that he has left. Fans who think Duke was our only bad matchup are really drinking the Hurley Koolaid. I give Dan credit, he can bullshit with the best of them. We ran a gimmick small/quick line-up with talented and experienced players, that most of the better A-10 coaches were well prepared for later in the season.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DeanDome88 wrote:I am glad that Thor is running this process and not the people on here who are afraid of losing a recruit/player. Any good new hire has a realistic chance of keeping the current players (most do not want to uproot leave their friends behind and sit out a year) and at least some of the recruiting class, in addition to his own current pipeline of relationships. I am hoping URI spends near the limit of the resources available to keep the program moving forward. Maybe David Cox gets a nice raise to stay on in his current capacity? Jermaine Harris is not Lamar Odom/Sly Williams type prospect, people need to get some perspective.

I also think Dan Hurley will not even make the final four over the next ten years. He is a very capable coach but not one of the greats. I'm not that upset that he has left. Fans who think Duke was our only bad matchup are really drinking the Hurley Koolaid. I give Dan credit, he can bullshit with the best of them. We ran a gimmick small/quick line-up with talented and experienced players, that most of the better A-10 coaches were well prepared for later in the season.
You think Cox is going to stay here if he doesn't get the job when he has a 150k buyout and a job for more money waiting for him at UConn?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I know this is unpopular, but that could still happen no matter who get's hired.

I have steadfast to the opinion that the only person who could truly keep the recruits coming who came to play for Hurley was, in fact, Hurley.

Clearly the desire to hire Cox revolves around the attempt to keep that from happening, and I really do hope they all stay if he does get hired.

Just don't be completely shocked if that isn't the case, though. Unfortunately, no matter what announcement is made next week, there is still another shoe that needs to drop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
DeanDome88 wrote:I am glad that Thor is running this process and not the people on here who are afraid of losing a recruit/player. Any good new hire has a realistic chance of keeping the current players (most do not want to uproot leave their friends behind and sit out a year) and at least some of the recruiting class, in addition to his own current pipeline of relationships. I am hoping URI spends near the limit of the resources available to keep the program moving forward. Maybe David Cox gets a nice raise to stay on in his current capacity? Jermaine Harris is not Lamar Odom/Sly Williams type prospect, people need to get some perspective.

You think Cox is going to stay here if he doesn't get the job when he has a 150k buyout and a job for more money waiting for him at UConn?
Not really, but an olive branch (decent offer) could still be extended. I do not see what the 150K bonus has to do with anything...he would get that either way if not hired as head coach... wouldn't he? I do not know how much money UConn has left in the budget to beat our offer.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

If those are the three front runners, well, give me a break! it's Cox all the way. If not someone who has taken teams to the promise land, I'm much more interested in giving Cox the shot to show his stuff, than starting over with someone who excites me as much as mustachio. Truly love the mustache, but I need more than just wonderful facial hair. If not a Harrick 2.0 then I say we definitely go with Cox, I have a sneaky suspicion that he will be an outstanding head coach. I say, either someone we know is outstanding or give Cox the shot to be outstanding.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wasn't Dooley one of the top candidates six years ago when Hurley was hired? If so, Thorr and Dooley may have a history with Dooley.

Sounds like a law firm.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The Offices of Dooley, Dooley, and Bjorn.

Ambulance chasers extraordinaires
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If I’m URI, I’m always going with the upside. Is there any chance that Dooley or Becker could be better at this job than Hurley? None of the three candidates have demonstrated that they will be (or they probably would already be at better jobs), but Dooley and Becker have had the chance and didn’t do it. Cox hasn’t had the chance yet, so there’s no way to know for sure. I’m not proposing that URI just play the lottery here; there is some reason to believe that Cox has the potential to be a great head coach. There isn’t any reason to believe Dooley or Becker can be much better than “pretty good.” I want more than that.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Dooley was in the running six years ago. Isn’t exactly flying up the coaching ranks since then.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Whoever gets the job, I would hope the expectations are at least the NIT next year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Cox goes to UCONN, I think Harris, Fatts and possibly Dowtin follow him. Dan is shooting for a higher level recruit than Adams. Adams would go somewhere else.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

theblueram wrote:Whoever gets the job, I would hope the expectations are at least the NIT next year.
So, assuming a full complement of players, I'd say there is enough talent to at least be in a bubble convo by tourney time, we are posting in "NCAA's or Bust!"
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'