David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NO WAY Pitino Jr.

If 208 can come up with 10 mil than we can get Pitino Sr.

I'll be honest, if we could get him now, I'd take it.

He would have us in the dance by his 2nd year.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think that is a waste of a discussion at this point. The way URI operates means that100% Cox will be back as the URI coach next year. He has done a terrible job to the point that I barely follow what is going on with the team, but the only way that would ever get rid of a coach under contract or in a quick fashion is if it was a Jerry D situation for 2 straight years.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Improve the assistant / support staff

Retain Shep or bring in another skilled perimeter ball handler/scorer

Create an identity/culture for the program

That’s a start.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago So what does Cox have to do next season, to keep his job beyond that?

What do we think?

Make the NCAA tourney? That one is obvious, he stays and gets a raise and extension.

Make the NIT? My guess is, if that happens he gets a short extension but no raise, yet.

Finish above .500 with no postseason? This one's tricky...maybe he stays, maybe not.

Finish below .500, similar to this season? Bye-bye, imo.

If either of the top two options are to happen, Cox needs a complete makeover on coaching at this level.

And I just don't think he's capable of it. Even if he were to sign new and better players.
It should be tournament or bye. He's already been given enough time and he's failed
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's what I hope too, but again knowing how URI operates I doubt it.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If Thorr tells Cox he [Thorr] won't renew an assistant after June 30th, then Cox has to hire a new assistant, like it or not.

I doubt anything like this will happen, just like 105 said.....and rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic isn't going to change anything.
IMHO, I think Cox stays and the assistants are replaced. Older Carroll adds nothing at this point, and I am not certain what the younger one adds given his lack of experience.We shouldn't be the proving ground for inexperienced coaches if we want to succeed and be the "Gonzaga of the East" :lol: :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If Thorr tells Cox he [Thorr] won't renew an assistant after June 30th, then Cox has to hire a new assistant, like it or not.

I doubt anything like this will happen, just like 105 said.....and rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic isn't going to change anything.
IMHO, I think Cox stays and the assistants are replaced. Older Carroll adds nothing at this point, and I am not certain what the younger one adds given his lack of experience.We shouldn't be the proving ground for inexperienced coaches if we want to succeed and be the "Gonzaga of the East" :lol: :lol:
Cox gets 1 more year obviously. I don't think assistant changes are going to make a difference. We haven't had one 4* recruit since Dave has been hired. Not one. He may be a good recruiter for a good head coach, but he hasn't shown it as a head coach himself.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Cox's staff is replaced it will be under his direction, not Thorr's, there may be suggestions but Cox would need to be all on board.
If this becomes a major issue between the two and a disconnect, then there needs to be total house cleaning.
I doubt very much that this will be the case, don't see that happening with Thorr (at least not now).

I do agree though and feel Cox needs a stronger supporting cast.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Cox gets 1 more year obviously. I don't think assistant changes are going to make a difference. We haven't had one 4* recruit since Dave has been hired. Not one. He may be a good recruiter for a good head coach, but he hasn't shown it as a head coach himself.
I guess you are not counting transfers then?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago

I guess you are not counting transfers then?
Not counting transfers.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How many times do you need to be reminded that Tate was a 4* on ESPN and Harris was a consensus 4*?

Both were freshman Cox's first year and needed to be rerecruited by Cox.

Therefore, we have had two 4* freshman since Cox became coach.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

How many times do you need to be reminded that Tate was a 4* on ESPN and Harris was a consensus 4*?

Both were freshman Cox's first year and needed to be rerecruited by Cox.

Therefore, we have had two 4* freshman since Cox became coach.
How many times do you need to be reminded they were recruited by Hurley? How many? God, people think a coach retained a prior head coach's recruits (reason why Dave is coach) makes them responsible for said recruits. Just imagine if all the recruits left after we hired Cox. Oh, wait. They did.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago A fun thing to do on twitter is tagging Thor in all news related to a team possibly parting ways with a coach. Recent tags include Albany's Will Brown and Minnesota's Richard Pitino ... Fun times!
I would like to help out but Thorr blocked me on Twitter
That's a baller move on your part, Son. 💯
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago A fun thing to do on twitter is tagging Thor in all news related to a team possibly parting ways with a coach. Recent tags include Albany's Will Brown and Minnesota's Richard Pitino ... Fun times!
I would like to help out but Thorr blocked me on Twitter
That's a baller move on your part, Son. 💯
I don't even know what I said to get blocked. I asked him and he told me didn't even realize he did it but doesn't know how to unblock me. The thing is, it's a multi-step process so you know if you're blocking someone. He is feeding me horseshit without and explanation.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox needs a stronger supporting cast for sure, but...

Who's the one making the decisions during games?

Who's the one directing practice and game planning?

It's Cox's program, and no one else's.

Might make a small difference with new assistants, but not much...besides who would we get that's very good, with what URI pays them?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Older Carroll is not an assistant. He's a "special assistant to the head coach", which is a quasi-invented title, but his role does not occupy one of the assistant coach spots.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....the elder Carroll......we are still paying him, no?.......even if not occupying one of the assistant coaches spots.......feel for his sitch, but does not seem his being the elder statesmen to help the novice HC has paid much dividends......
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox needs a stronger supporting cast for sure, but...

Might make a small difference with new assistants, but not much...besides who would we get that's very good, with what URI pays them?
And what type of assistants are you getting, because those assistants would know they're hitching their wagon to Cox making a rapid turnaround. Don't make the tournament and you could be one and done here
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox needs a stronger supporting cast for sure, but...

And what type of assistants are you getting, because those assistants would know they're hitching their wagon to Cox making a rapid turnaround. Don't make the tournament and you could be one and done here
This is actually a really solid point. Its like a negative feedback loop - It becomes impossible to help yourself.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

URI finishes the season 10-15, 7-11. Fail to reach the A10 quarters for the first time since 2015-16. Worst finish overall since '13-'14 team was 14-18. Losing 35 ppt with Fatts and Shep. But at least we have a coach with the most wins in his first 3 seasons. Right?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago URI finishes the season 10-15, 7-11. Fail to reach the A10 quarters for the first time since 2015-16. Worst finish overall since '13-'14 team was 14-18. Losing 35 ppt with Fatts and Shep. But at least we have a coach with the most wins in his first 3 seasons. Right?
Is that the biggest misleading stat in program history?

A random could see that and be like “Oh, URI is in goods hands, they’ve never had a better start to a coaches career than this. Why is their fan base all pissed?”
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch:

Dayton averaged an adjusted 1.296 points/possession against #URI on Thursday. Third straight game where the #Rams set a new season worst.

Started at George Washington, then at Duquesne, now here in their lone #A10MBB matchup.

That's the most adjusted points per possession allowed in a game by #URI under David Cox. Thursday was his 88th game in charge with the #Rams
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sucks the way we ended this season looks like we have a major rebuild on our hands
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago URI finishes the season 10-15, 7-11. Fail to reach the A10 quarters for the first time since 2015-16. Worst finish overall since '13-'14 team was 14-18. Losing 35 ppt with Fatts and Shep. But at least we have a coach with the most wins in his first 3 seasons. Right?
Is that the biggest misleading stat in program history?

A random could see that and be like “Oh, URI is in goods hands, they’ve never had a better start to a coaches career than this. Why is their fan base all pissed?”
Unfortunately that will be the party line from Thorr.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Sucks the way we ended this season looks like we have a major rebuild on our hands
And it should start at the very top.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Koch again:

Cox -- 'The onus ultimately rests on my shoulders -- not those guys.'

'I would hope I get the brunt of that, and not these young men.'

Oh, don't worry about that, Dave.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Koch again:

Cox -- 'The onus ultimately rests on my shoulders -- not those guys.'

'I would hope I get the brunt of that, and not these young men.'

Oh, don't worry about that, Dave.
Good that he's admitting it.

It's WAY more than just the injuries they had.

I think moving on would be best for Cox.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Baron would have thrown his players under the bus.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Baron would have thrown his players under the bus.
Anybody who knows basketball knows what happened.

Cox gets no brownie points for blaming himself.

He was only telling the truth.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Sucks the way we ended this season looks like we have a major rebuild on our hands
The Mitchell twins, Walker, Ish, Martin and Betrand as a starting point doesn't equate to a major rebuild. Who knows if others eligible to return such as Sheppard (I doubt Fatts)? We have 2 original 4 star recruits not mentioned who can return but they haven't shown that they can contribute very much. Then there are recruits. Unless there are major defections, we'll have a good team. Wish we had a more supportive fan base.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Reminder that Tyler Kolek wanted to stay home and play for URI.

We didn’t offer him.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
The Mitchell twins, Walker, Ish, Martin and Betrand as a starting point doesn't equate to a major rebuild. Who knows if others eligible to return such as Sheppard (I doubt Fatts)? We have 2 original 4 star recruits not mentioned who can return but they haven't shown that they can contribute very much. Then there are recruits. Unless there are major defections, we'll have a good team. Wish we had a more supportive fan base.
I think we as a board, have given Cox every chance in the book by now.

And he's blown every chance.

We have some talent yes, but we don't have a coach that can take advantage of what we do have.

And that sums up everything.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Given the fact that Dooley is retiring and a successor hasn't been named I can't imagine there is any chance Cox gets bought out of his contract this year....Only chance is if Tom Ryan really wants him gone

I really felt like we were in good hands after watching Cox's introductory press conference...turns out that has been his best moment so far
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ryan could hold the key to any move, that's for sure.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Exactly. More wins than Hurls. Progress.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Exactly. More wins than Hurls. Progress.
Progress? If only that were true ha ha.

The only progress right now, is that this program is progressing to oblivion.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago

We have some talent yes, but we don't have a coach that can take advantage of what we do have.

Whoa whoa whoa.....wait a sec....just to set the record straight, I never gave him a chance. Just sayin'....
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Whoa whoa whoa.....wait a sec....just to set the record straight, I never gave him a chance. Just sayin'....
There were a few Pitino backers out there weren’t there!

GO RHODY!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It is going to be quiet at the Ry next year....at least the pubs won't be jammed. Although, who knows....maybe they'll get desperate enough for gate that they have beers in seats and throw down the occasional $1 beer night, a la Creighton....
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Reminder that Tyler Kolek wanted to stay home and play for URI.

We didn’t offer him.

He didn’t fit into the URI mold: an athlete who plays basketball, usually with low ball IQ. Kolek is not athletic enough and too good of a shooter for our “system”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I thought that Cox might turn out pretty well, before last season's late swoon.

Yeah mistakes were made, but were expected in only his second season.

But he's regressed an amazing amount since then, with no end in sight.

The sheer number and type of mistakes he's making, would embarrass a grade school coach.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am still going to give him next year and call this year a transition year. I like the players coming back. I still don’t hate Jalen as a player long term if he can develop any semblance of an outside shot. AB and Martin will be solid, plus the twins and Ish. Plus Antoine and DJ. That is an old team in the A10 that is losing a lot of senior talent this year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago

GO RHODY!
Prior to coming to RI 6 years ago, and maybe up til Hurls' next to last year...I don't believe I had ever heard of David Cox. And I only came to identify him by recognizing that it appeared that DH often found him useful during games.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Getting high BB IQ players who are athletic is a challenge for mid majors.

URI hasn't had many since Harrick. Currently, other than Ish, who qualifies on this team?
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Next year is a waste of time. We need to move on now. Hurley turned UConn around from disaster to tourney in 3 years, Cox turned us into a disaster from the tourney in 3 years. Yikes.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I am still going to give him next year and call this year a transition year. I like the players coming back. I still don’t hate Jalen as a player long term if he can develop any semblance of an outside shot. AB and Martin will be solid, plus the twins and Ish. Plus Antoine and DJ. That is an old team in the A10 that is losing a lot of senior talent this year.
Great poll or contest...who will be back on Opening Night next year? Because I can't imagine it's 'everybody'...
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Consider all of the other NCAA teams this year that were robbed of practice time, endured “pauses” of their programs for weeks at a time because of positive tests and had games canceled left and right. Now consider that Rhody never experienced an extended Covid-related interruption at any point. That should have been a big advantage — assuming they had a coach who could have capitalized on it.

If Cox is allowed to hang around and waste another year, the only reason I’ll go to any games at all will be the fact that I already agreed months ago to roll this year’s payment into next season. If they were asking me to decide whether to renew right now, it would be a hard no as long as Cox is still in charge.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Who wants to be the first to call Tyler or the box office and ask for another rollover option?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Who wants to be the first to call Tyler or the box office and ask for another rollover option?
Better option... let's pick a day and ALL call and ask :lol: :lol: :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago

GO RHODY!
For the record I was, and still am.