David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: David Cox

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago

Lucrative salary? I think he is only guaranteed $300K a year. The rest is incentives and gate receipts.
So he just voluntarily walks away from it, for what?
$600K
There isn't one agent in the world that would tell his client, a college basketball coach, to walk away from a head coaching job. If there is such a case, I'm all ears...

1) Cox will not walk away.
2) 98% sure URI will not fire him at end of this season. (So yes, I'd be shocked if they do.)
3) End of year #4 will be the decision time for Thorr (even if today he already thinks he knows what the outcome of 2022 season will be). Why?
4) Because an AD who fires coaches 3 years into their contracts will have a hard time attracting a quality coach as a replacement. No coach wants to take a job knowing he may be on the hot seat after his 3rd season. The new coach's agent would negotiate a HUGE buyout clause into the contract in that case...so HUGE that URI probably could not afford it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I agree, whether I and others here like it or not, Cox will very likely be here another year.

Thorr sees what we see, and privately he must realize that he will probably have to make a move after next season.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

As I said many times the jury is till out for me on him, and I try to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I still believe the administration will give him more time, but I am feeling less and less optimistic.

Not so much about his ability to identify talent and bring them here, although we lack some pure shooters, and this game has evolved.

These late season collapses and game management/strategy is a big concern. Also the inexperience of our staff is becoming very evident.

His answers really bothered me when questioned by Morey Hershgordon. Here is a young sports reporter just trying to do his job and asked some very logical and pertinent questions. Cox on several occasions basically dissed him and that was very awkward. Not sure if he can't take a little heat or if he is only comfortable with very vanilla questions in a pre-scripted atmosphere. Regardless, it wasn't a good look.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox is getting very defensive in his answers.

That's always a bad sign.

Inexperienced staff? Half of the staff is yes, the elder Carroll and Sutton have been around a long time.

Sutton even has written a book on the X's and O's of the game.

Of course, it hasn't seemed to help this team one stinking bit.

It's ridiculous when you think about it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox is getting very defensive in his answers.

Inexperienced staff? Half of the staff is yes, the elder Carroll and Sutton have been around a long time.

I wouldn't count John Carroll, his illness took a major toll on him, he no longer plays a major role on this staff.

Also as much as Kevin Sutton has been around, he spent most of his time in the HS and prep ranks. Never was a college head coach at any level.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

77, well we're getting what we paid for!

Our total staff salary is mid pack A10 at best, I think.

And we want to play at the top level of the league?

I would say a mil a year for the coach, and 500K for the assistant pool should be the minimum for the next staff.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago 77, well we're getting what we paid for!

Our total staff salary is mid pack A10 at best, I think.

And we want to play at the top level of the league?

I would say a mil a year for the coach, and 500K for the assistant pool should be the minimum for the next staff.
Yes, and they were all paid appropriately for their level of experience.

If and when they decide to make a change, let's see what they are willing to ante up..
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It isn't a question of if, it's when.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Including the elder Carroll the pool is about $500,000.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

With the loss of income because of COVID and the NCAA credits eventually running out, I don't see an increase in salaries for head coach or assistants any time soon.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think COVID and the non-traditional season will be cover, and most will get a pass for this season...except Jimmy at BC, but he was there for 7 seasons.

I'm very disapointed in the way the season played out, but i'm glad we at least had one. It was nice until about 10 games ago when it became obvious the coach was clueless about the actual coaching part. He is a recruiter and that's it. Nothing wrong with that as said before, if he is the Assoc HC. If he is going to be the head man, he needs an experinced Assoc HC to call the plays and develop players. Maybe he will pay attention this time, since he didnt learn anything or at least not nearly enough from Dan.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago With the loss of income because of COVID and the NCAA credits eventually running out, I don't see an increase in salaries for head coach or assistants any time soon.
........OK, so if that becomes a major factor in the coaching decision making process, among others, then we are stuck in the swirling drain of A-10 mediocrity.......the coaching salaries across the board have to be consistent with what program “bar” is as stated......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
Lol.
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
Lol.
This has aged well. 🙃
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Lol.
This has aged well. 🙃
Even Rhody72 can be wrong! :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago I think COVID and the non-traditional season will be cover, and most will get a pass for this season...except Jimmy at BC, but he was there for 7 seasons.

I'm very disapointed in the way the season played out, but i'm glad we at least had one. It was nice until about 10 games ago when it became obvious the coach was clueless about the actual coaching part. He is a recruiter and that's it. Nothing wrong with that as said before, if he is the Assoc HC. If he is going to be the head man, he needs an experinced Assoc HC to call the plays and develop players. Maybe he will pay attention this time, since he didnt learn anything or at least not nearly enough from Dan.
I get it that a lot of the recruiting has come in the form of transfers these days. Just the way it is going to be going forward. But, URI is a program that will be good when it evaluates the prep ranks well, add the occasional top 150 guy, and then adds a transfer for the final piece(s). The 2021 and into the 2022 cycle do not look great so far. I feel like constantly adding these recruits that are coming from another programs is not sustainable at a place like URI. Maybe I am wrong and this is how it will be across the sport. I hope not.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I wouldn't count John Carroll, his illness took a major toll on him, he no longer plays a major role on this staff.

Also as much as Kevin Sutton has been around, he spent most of his time in the HS and prep ranks. Never was a college head coach at any level.
This is Sutton's 13th year as a college assistant. How much more experience does he need to be successful in that role?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

This is Sutton's 13th year as a college assistant. How much more experience does he need to be successful in that role?
Just needs to gel. It's Covid's fault anyway.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I was actually pointing out that I didn't feel Kevin Sutton was the experienced seasoned basketball guru that many gave him credit for.

I would of preferred someone in that role as having some college head coaching, because this was Cox's first gig.
I know he was hired because of his relationship with Cox and he trusted him as his top guy.
This would of all been okay if Cox would of brought in a seasoned assistant with maybe some previous head coaching experience rather than Austin Carroll.
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

Question: rather than a buyout, can we improve things by forcing an overhaul in his staff?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DigB wrote: 3 years ago Question: rather than a buyout, can we improve things by forcing an overhaul in his staff?
That would be an issue for Thorr, not sure he can overstep his bounds and undermining Cox's authority on who should be on his staff. That would get extremely confrontational.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DigB wrote: 3 years ago Question: rather than a buyout, can we improve things by forcing an overhaul in his staff?
That would be an issue for Thorr, not sure he can overstep his bounds and undermining Cox's authority on who should be on his staff. That would get extremely confrontational.
Overstep his bounds? Undermine his coach's authority? I do believe the AD has firing authority. He/she is in charge. Not a coach.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Overstep his bounds? Undermine his coach's authority? I do believe the AD has firing authority. He/she is in charge. Not a coach.
If you don't allow the coach to hire their own staff that they work with day in and day out, that is a major disconnect. If it becomes that confrontational then a coaching change at the top is needed. The head coach is supposed to have a better working knowledge of the basketball game then the AD.

As I said the coaching community is pretty tight.
If an AD has the reputation of dictating who will be hired as assistants than you better shut down the program, because no quality head coach would give us a second thought.

Besides if it gets to the point that the AD doesn't trust the judgement of the head coach, then the AD needs to go in a different direction and just hire someone new to take charge.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If you don't allow the coach to hire their own staff that they work with day in and day out, that is a major disconnect. If it becomes that confrontational then a coaching change at the top is needed. The head coach is supposed to have a better working knowledge of the basketball game then the AD.

If an AD has the reputation of dictating who will be hired as assistants than you better shut down the program, because no quality head coach would give us a second thought.
Did Baron hire Murph, or did he have some help?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......new broom sweeps clean, I see no point to rearranging the deck chairs, when the captain is not getting the job done.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Did Baron hire Murph, or did he have some help?
That was a recommendation that Baron was on board with to fill a vacancy, Murphy was very young, an alumni, and an up and comer. That is much different than being told to overhaul your entire staff, including firing one of your closest friend and associate.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Thorr tells Cox he [Thorr] won't renew an assistant after June 30th, then Cox has to hire a new assistant, like it or not.

I doubt anything like this will happen, just like 105 said.....and rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic isn't going to change anything.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Do you think Cox has the temperament to be confrontational on any subject? He is much more likely to say “whatever you want , boss”. Eg. See animation on bench after a bad call
Big Bob
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Big Bob »

Coach Cox is in his 3rd year of his 5 year contract. He had a mediocre year, 9-9, a good year 13-5, and 7-10 below average year in the A-10. Coach Cox is a proven recruiter, very personable, and a good role model. However, these are not the only attributes needed to be a head coach. It was disappointing to see the team actually play worse as the season went on losing 6 of 7 games.

The last game with GW was a disaster. GW had not played a game in 35 days and could not practice due to Covid 19. They only had 7 scholarship players available. They had 2 players that scored almost 60 points. Despite of all this, we could not manage a win. We should have been able to press and and play a havoc type defense, in addition to changing match ups to stop 2 players from beating us. Coach Cox is playing 9 players and we should have been able to run them off the court. The lack of defensive effort is inexcusable, not just in this game but all season.
The offense has struugled to find any rythem due to all the substitutions. I am also concerned about the lack of development, poor shot selection, lack of assists, turnovers, etc. This all boils down to a lack of fundamentals and discipline.

Next season will be a pivotal season for Coach Cox. It will be his 4th year and unless there is considerable improvement we should move on.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Not hyperbole - is Tammi Reiss a better coach than DC?

Watching them their offense is in constant motion and their defense is significantly more active and communicates better than ours.

Don’t really care for the women’s game as much as men’s, but there’s a noticeable difference in effort and execution even if the speed and skill isn’t the same.
Could it be? Someone with actual previous head coaching experience is ... is... is... a. better. head. coach?
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

A fun thing to do on twitter is tagging Thor in all news related to a team possibly parting ways with a coach. Recent tags include Albany's Will Brown and Minnesota's Richard Pitino ... Fun times!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago A fun thing to do on twitter is tagging Thor in all news related to a team possibly parting ways with a coach. Recent tags include Albany's Will Brown and Minnesota's Richard Pitino ... Fun times!
I would like to help out but Thorr blocked me on Twitter
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I was actually pointing out that I didn't feel Kevin Sutton was the experienced seasoned basketball guru that many gave him credit for.

I would of preferred someone in that role as having some college head coaching, because this was Cox's first gig.
I know he was hired because of his relationship with Cox and he trusted him as his top guy.
This would of all been okay if Cox would of brought in a seasoned assistant with maybe some previous head coaching experience rather than Austin Carroll.
But that's the whole point and role of John Carroll
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Not hyperbole - is Tammi Reiss a better coach than DC?

Watching them their offense is in constant motion and their defense is significantly more active and communicates better than ours.

Don’t really care for the women’s game as much as men’s, but there’s a noticeable difference in effort and execution even if the speed and skill isn’t the same.
Could it be? Someone with actual previous head coaching experience is ... is... is... a. better. head. coach?
This is Tammi Reiss' first head coaching position. The problem isn't hiring people with no previous head coaching experience, the problem is the last two times the men's basketball program has they've been the wrong guy
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Dan was a driven and passionate individual who was going to will his team to victory and press the administration for improvements; he expected and demanded results from everyone, including himself. Cox is not Dan, in fact they are opposite and that's why the relationship worked. There is more than one way to win, and Cox better figure out what his way is.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I could see Slick Rich coaching at URI one day. He has plenty of connections in the area through his father, being a student at PC and coaching St Andrew's.
GO RAMS
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago

This is Tammi Reiss' first head coaching position. The problem isn't hiring people with no previous head coaching experience, the problem is the last two times the men's basketball program has they've been the wrong guy
Oh...I see youre right. Well - she was in Juwanna Mann and David Cox wasn't so...there.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

But that's the whole point and role of John Carroll
That was the original intention, but Carroll went down last season and is in an extremely limited role this year due to very serious health concerns. That is why I was hoping they would of hired a more seasoned coach than Austin.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Yesterday I watched the replay of the overtime win at Dayton from 2 years ago (Cox' first year). He was very active and vocal as he paced the sideline and actually called a couple of time outs as Dayton made a couple of small runs during the game. It seems like that type of time out has not been utilized much at all this year much to the chagrin of all of us on this board.
The question is why has he changed so much from two years ago. I cannot think of an answer.
Any idea why?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Yesterday I watched the replay of the overtime win at Dayton from 2 years ago (Cox' first year). He was very active and vocal as he paced the sideline and actually called a couple of time outs as Dayton made a couple of small runs during the game. It seems like that type of time out has not been utilized much at all this year much to the chagrin of all of us on this board.
The question is why has he changed so much from two years ago. I cannot think of an answer.
Any idea why?
Trying to please everyone.
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So what does Cox have to do next season, to keep his job beyond that?

What do we think?

Make the NCAA tourney? That one is obvious, he stays and gets a raise and extension.

Make the NIT? My guess is, if that happens he gets a short extension but no raise, yet.

Finish above .500 with no postseason? This one's tricky...maybe he stays, maybe not.

Finish below .500, similar to this season? Bye-bye, imo.

If either of the top two options are to happen, Cox needs a complete makeover on coaching at this level.

And I just don't think he's capable of it. Even if he were to sign new and better players.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......not that I agree, with any improvement over this season, the admin will probably extend, no raise, as the admin will be satisfied, even w/o post season appearance, the admin will see right track.......and then down the path to Baronville we go......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago So what does Cox have to do next season, to keep his job beyond that?

What do we think?

Make the NCAA tourney? That one is obvious, he stays and gets a raise and extension.

Make the NIT? My guess is, if that happens he gets a short extension but no raise, yet.

Finish above .500 with no postseason? This one's tricky...maybe he stays, maybe not.

If either of the top two options are to happen, Cox needs a complete makeover on coaching at this level.

And I just don't think he's capable of it. Even if he were to sign new and better players.
Improvements I would like to see for him being the long-term answer, not exactly what you are asking but still:

More consistency, and some confidence that this program is trending upwards.

Have to avoid the bad losses and be competitive in the tougher games.

Better ball security, less individual and more team play

Avoid the late season collapses.

Less roster turnover, keeping the core players.

Better in game management and strategy

NEED TO FIND SHOOTERS

I wouldn't mind some shakeup in the assistants

We can probably add to this list.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago So what does Cox have to do next season, to keep his job beyond that?

What do we think?

Improvements I would like to see for him being the long-term answer, not exactly what you are asking but still:

More consistency, and some confidence that this program is trending upwards.

Have to avoid the bad losses and be competitive in the tougher games.

Better ball security, less individual and more team play

Avoid the late season collapses.

Less roster turnover, keeping the core players.

Better in game management and strategy

NEED TO FIND SHOOTERS

I wouldn't mind some shakeup in the assistants

We can probably add to this list.
That, after 3 years, is not going to happen.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......not that I agree, with any improvement over this season, the admin will probably extend, no raise, as the admin will be satisfied, even w/o post season appearance, the admin will see right track.......and then down the path to Baronville we go......
I really hope not!

This program should now be measured by NCAA appearances. And NOT every 20 years.

If they drag it out like they did with Baron, this program will end up no better than it was at the end of Baron's tenure.

That would also prove to me, that the administration flat out lied about actually wanting to be consistently top of the A10.

Join the fucking NEC or MAAC if that's what they want.

Thorr's going to be in a tough spot, of his own making.

I'm sure when he hired Cox, that he wouldn't end up in this situation again. But here we are.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

77, that's hell of a long list, and it's not complete like you said.

How about playing smart defense? Undisciplined and fundamentally awful is the norm now.

There are WAY too many issues here.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago 77, that's hell of a long list, and it's not complete like you said.

How about playing smart defense? Undisciplined and fundamentally awful is the norm now.

There are WAY too many issues here.
Lots and Lots of work to be done this off-season
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I could see Slick Rich coaching at URI one day. He has plenty of connections in the area through his father, being a student at PC and coaching St Andrew's.
Oh man...we can only hope. Name him the coach tomorrow, and if they were to say 'fans allowed starting Game 1 next year'....you might not be able to get a ticket..
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I could see Slick Rich coaching at URI one day. He has plenty of connections in the area through his father, being a student at PC and coaching St Andrew's.
Oh man...we can only hope. Name him the coach tomorrow, and if they were to say 'fans allowed starting Game 1 next year'....you might not be able to get a ticket..
I think that ship has sailed we may have had a shot at him after DH left but the powers at be didn’t want him
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
I think that ship has sailed we may have had a shot at him after DH left but the powers at be didn’t want him
I think 05 is referring to his son who might be shit-canned from Minnesota