2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by rhodylaw »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

Not sure what good in state exposure does for the school/team. You want national exposure, everyone in RI is already aware of URI. Does it help them sell a few more tickets to a home game maybe, I honestly have no idea.

I think you’re better of picking up games against “good” opponents in “lesser conferences”. Just my opinion, which as I’m well aware is worth nothing
I guess my counter-argument would be what kind of national exposure do you get from playing a good team in a bad conference?

Using KenPom's conference metrics to measure the conferences, teams 1-3 in conference 17-32 include the following teams:

Abeline Chrstian, Austin Peay, Belmont, BU, Colgate, Drexel, Eastern Washington, Fairleigh Dickinson, Gardner Webb, Grand Canyon, Hofstra, Jackson St., Liberty, Lipscomb, Mount St. Mary's, Murray St., Monmouth, Montana, Navy, New Hampshire, New Mexico St., Nicholls St, NJIT, Norfolk St., North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, North Dakota St., Northeastern, Northern Kentucky, Omaha, Siena, South Dakota St., Southern, Southern Utah, St. Francis PA, St. Peter's, Stephen F Austin, Stetson, Texas Southern, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UNC Asheville, UT Rio Grande Valley, Vermont, Winthrop, Wright St., Youngstown St.

Who on that list has national people going "I need to watch that ___ vs URI game?" or "We need to put ____ vs URI on national programming." The answer is really nobody, unless one of those conferences sparked a Top 25 caliber team, then there might be some interest. But I don't think people nationally care whether you play Vermont or you play Bryant.
All valid points. My comment was more in response to him saying we should be trying to drum up in state media coverage - I don’t see the point in doing that. Also on a smaller scale to what PC hates with playing URI, I don’t love playing in state schools who get up to play you like it’s their super bowl. Don’t think URI is any position to run from games, but just how I feel about things. Do you want to play Bryant or Brown who have this game circled on the calendar, or North Carolina Central who you’re just another game to?
Bryant or Brown because there is some interest. If we can’t beat them either it’s not a bad loss that year or we need a lot more work (i.e. we suck)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

Not sure what good in state exposure does for the school/team. You want national exposure, everyone in RI is already aware of URI. Does it help them sell a few more tickets to a home game maybe, I honestly have no idea.

I think you’re better of picking up games against “good” opponents in “lesser conferences”. Just my opinion, which as I’m well aware is worth nothing
I guess my counter-argument would be what kind of national exposure do you get from playing a good team in a bad conference?

Using KenPom's conference metrics to measure the conferences, teams 1-3 in conference 17-32 include the following teams:

Abeline Chrstian, Austin Peay, Belmont, BU, Colgate, Drexel, Eastern Washington, Fairleigh Dickinson, Gardner Webb, Grand Canyon, Hofstra, Jackson St., Liberty, Lipscomb, Mount St. Mary's, Murray St., Monmouth, Montana, Navy, New Hampshire, New Mexico St., Nicholls St, NJIT, Norfolk St., North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, North Dakota St., Northeastern, Northern Kentucky, Omaha, Siena, South Dakota St., Southern, Southern Utah, St. Francis PA, St. Peter's, Stephen F Austin, Stetson, Texas Southern, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UNC Asheville, UT Rio Grande Valley, Vermont, Winthrop, Wright St., Youngstown St.

Who on that list has national people going "I need to watch that ___ vs URI game?" or "We need to put ____ vs URI on national programming." The answer is really nobody, unless one of those conferences sparked a Top 25 caliber team, then there might be some interest. But I don't think people nationally care whether you play Vermont or you play Bryant.
All valid points. My comment was more in response to him saying we should be trying to drum up in state media coverage - I don’t see the point in doing that. Also on a smaller scale to what PC hates with playing URI, I don’t love playing in state schools who get up to play you like it’s their super bowl. Don’t think URI is any position to run from games, but just how I feel about things. Do you want to play Bryant or Brown who have this game circled on the calendar, or North Carolina Central who you’re just another game to?
Bryant or Brown. We're going to play cupcakes, no cupcake is going to get national exposure, so I'd rather play the cupcake that will get at least state expose. The fact that they would have this game circled should mean nothing. They can put any and every shape around the damn game they want we should still beat those two schools every year. If we do lose, it says a lot more about us and the state of our program than anything they did to us that one day of the season
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

The fact that it is even a question - North Carolina Central vs. Brown/Bryant - on this board is crazy. Should PC play VCU or Rhody? They will have similar RPIs at the end of the year, so take the team you are more likely to beat right?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rutgers looking to add a game before their matchup with Syracuse on 12/8, maybe a possibility?
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Rutgers looking to add a game before their matchup with Syracuse on 12/8, maybe a possibility?
Man I'd love to play them.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Hearing whispers that Rhody’s second game vs BC is off. BC will instead play Florida.
SAw ND was looking for a game at that time - make that happen instead.
I was hoping for this, too, but looks like they've scheduled mighty Fort Wayne instead.

Or not.

Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Post aged better then I thought. Don’t know much about the Carey injury but having legit depth certainly helped.
Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago As someone with a sports performance background... Coming back from Covid there will be likely be large uptick in injuries (see most recently German soccer, or stats from injuries post any professional sport lockout). Scheduling 2 back to back games in 1 week is a terrible idea, especially if we only have 7-8 eligible players. Good luck to their professionals.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Legit depth or Leggett depth? ;)
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Any idea if we add a game before Western Kentucky?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago Any idea if we add a game before Western Kentucky?
Doubtful. Team needs some rest after 5 games in a week.
Cox also wants some practice to work on areas of improvement he has seen in the 5 games.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago Any idea if we add a game before Western Kentucky?
It would be nice to replace the "lost" Boston College game. Only 1 game between now and Davidson not ideal. I hope we can add at least 1 game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I missed this when was the BC game officially cancelled and why ??
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

We got next.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I would expect some game options will materialize in the next few days. A little break would be nice, maybe look for a game early to mid next week.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

From the game recap on GoRhody.com (https://gorhody.com/news/2020/12/2/mens ... aight.aspx):

Up Next
Rhode Island's next scheduled game is Dec. 13 at Western Kentucky, though all schedules are pretty fluid this year. We'll see.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hurley said UCONN is looking for a "really good game" early next week.

Would love for it to materialize, but I doubt it will.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Hurley said UCONN is looking for a "really good game" early next week.

Believe it or not this has some legs. I have heard from sources in the program that this is actually a discussion. The only reason this is even being talked about is because there would be no fans, media and all the circus that Hurley would not want with playing URI. URI has a long time off until the Western Kentucky game. Not sure it will happen, but URI will play the game if UConn offers. They are taking the approach on accepting any game no matter who it is. Right approach this year. It would be the only year we eve play UConn in the regular season win or lose.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need to find a game before WKY
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Hurley said UCONN is looking for a "really good game" early next week.

Love Disano's tweet about this "It's a fairleigh open date for URI".
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UConn at USC tonight at 7:00 ESPN
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

What in the Dickinson is that suppose to mean?
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Rhody was supposed to play PC this week. PC ducked the game, claiming misc. issues making it impossible to play. They turned right around and scheduled Fairleigh Dickinson for Saturday. Thus the fairly/fairleigh open date for URI.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Rhody was supposed to play PC this week. PC ducked the game, claiming misc. issues making it impossible to play. They turned right around and scheduled Fairleigh Dickinson for Saturday. Thus the fairly/fairleigh open date for URI.
I think Peter knew that based on the phrasing of his response. :lol:
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We should be able to get a game since we don't have much of a restriction as we can probably play Sunday through Thursday.
I would call Temple as their next game is not scheduled until December 12th.
Last edited by eli#10 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago

Believe it or not this has some legs. I have heard from sources in the program that this is actually a discussion. The only reason this is even being talked about is because there would be no fans, media and all the circus that Hurley would not want with playing URI. URI has a long time off until the Western Kentucky game. Not sure it will happen, but URI will play the game if UConn offers. They are taking the approach on accepting any game no matter who it is. Right approach this year. It would be the only year we eve play UConn in the regular season win or lose.
Would love a home and home.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

A lot of good games on 12/8 and it is unlikely given current circumstances that all teams will be able to play on that day. That is the date I have circled where we can poach a good game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

Zero chance he'd come play us here in a packed house.

This year, I could maaaaybe see Hurley playing us in Gampel with no fans or extra hoopla that comes with a sold out arena.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bryant does not appear to be a cupcake 🧁 so let’s book em

Would not shock me to see uConn Rhody in December perhaps at Mohegan. No gate $$$ to stand in the way and good way for both Cox and D Hurley to stick it to PC. I’d expect it’s being discussed. UConn might be no 2 on hrstrat57 hate list but doubtful Cox or Thorr feel the same.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago We should be able to get a game since we don't have much of a restriction as we can probably play Sunday through Thursday.
I would call Temple as their next game is not scheduled until December 12th.
A nice thought and would be a good game at this point in the schedule, but Temple is paused due to covid and not scheduled to resume practice until 12/10.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

This year, I could maaaaybe see Hurley playing us in Gampel with no fans or extra hoopla that comes with a sold out arena.
I'd still love to see....whether it would happen is a different question.

Ace would hate it though :)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Bryant does not appear to be a cupcake 🧁 so let’s book em

Would not shock me to see uConn Rhody in December perhaps at Mohegan. No gate $$$ to stand in the way and good way for both Cox and D Hurley to stick it to PC. I’d expect it’s being discussed. UConn might be no 2 on hrstrat57 hate list but doubtful Cox or Thorr feel the same.
Maaaaaan that would be spicy
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Siena is having a hard time finding an opponent before their Dec. 11 game against Fairfield. Maybe an option. They have a very good guard in Jalen Picket who tested the NBA waters as Fatts did
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Don't they also have a guy named Dana Tate?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

I'd still love to see....whether it would happen is a different question.

Ace would hate it though :)
Dunno why anyone would hate it good win good loss for either team right now. No reason not to book it.

I’ll even agree to tone down my Husky Dawg hate

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I hate UConn admin for ducking us for so many years but I don’t blame DH for not wanting the game. Fans or not, it will be weird to for him to coach against Fatts.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think they should do it. URI vs UCONN should be an annual game. Period.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Don't they also have a guy named Dana Tate?
Wow, forgot all about him
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

No way Hurley will voluntarily go up against Cox.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......why not?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......why not?
Because feelings
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

UCONN vs URI is a possibility... we shall see!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago UCONN vs URI is a possibility... we shall see!
Possibility because Cox has called on it, or is there mutual interest?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago UCONN vs URI is a possibility... we shall see!
Hype
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No inside knowledge, just gut feeling
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

Is UCONN still our most frequently played opponent in the team's history?

Definitely hyped for any possibility of a game between the two in 2020. Fingers crossed for some good news
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago No inside knowledge, just gut feeling
Would love to see this happen. Grew up a Uconn fan living near Hartford so i do not have the hatred that everyone else has towards the program. Rhody was my second team growing up. Uconn takes a huge back seat to Rhody now but this would be great not to mention the Hurley connection. It would make my day to beat Tyrese Martin.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It is hilarious and pathetic that UCONN and URI do not play on an annual/biannual basis. With the history and short distance from each other, get that rivalry back.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago It is hilarious and pathetic that UCONN and URI do not play on an annual/biannual basis. With the history and short distance from each other, get that rivalry back.
Yes, would love to see that rivalry renewed, I miss it. Hurley put together a strong and deep roster that will compete for the top of the BE. I think this game would always generate a lot of excitement and fan interest.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago It is hilarious and pathetic that UCONN and URI do not play on an annual/biannual basis. With the history and short distance from each other, get that rivalry back.
Egos.....
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes, would love to see that rivalry renewed, I miss it. Hurley put together a strong and deep roster that will compete for the top of the BE. I think this game would always generate a lot of excitement and fan interest.
Forget it. Slimy Slithering Snake Hurley will continue the practice of his idol, Arrogant Haystack Calhoun, and not play URI unless we’re really bad.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.