The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by ace »

One job left- everyone knew that. UConn was a dream job- lots of people knew that. That you watched and interacted with this guy for 6 years and are throwing out some of these wild ideas? Nothing will convince some of you, but the certainty you have about what did or did not go on this season is so crazy to me. Be well. Losing Marshall is a tough blow. The training/weightlifting program was one of the things that drew Jermaine to URI.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:One job left- everyone knew that. UConn was a dream job- lots of people knew that. That you watched and interacted with this guy for 6 years and are throwing out some of these wild ideas? Nothing will convince some of you, but the certainty you have about what did or did not go on this season is so crazy to me. Be well. Losing Marshall is a tough blow. The training/weightlifting program was one of the things that drew Jermaine to URI.
But it's not about winning. Why is that a dream job if it's not about winning (or money)?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't know what the Hurley family and his friends expect. While we appreciate the job he did here, he decided to go against his own words and leave for elsewhere. He then did not leave for some job hundreds of miles away with no connections to URI. He went to one of the closest D1 schools possible to Kingston. To a program which URI is their far and away most played opponent of all time (by some 30 games no less). To a school older Rhody fans recall as one of our biggest rivals. It seems some people just want to live in the time warp period of the old Big East with little understanding and regard to the reality of the environment before and after the existence of the old Big East.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

All I know is everyone around the country is hiring except URI Because it's a complicated process. URI always has excuses.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I like David Cox. I think his philosophy and demeanor are a perfect fit here. I met him four years ago at a meet and greet in Watch Hill. Very easy to be around. He should have a good future here.

Although his predecessor had a good run, Coach Cox may have a better long term result. Time to turn the page on DH. I have my own thoughts on him, but I'll post them on the appropriate thread [which I hope also disappears soon, as he did.]
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:One job left- everyone knew that. UConn was a dream job- lots of people knew that. That you watched and interacted with this guy for 6 years and are throwing out some of these wild ideas? Nothing will convince some of you, but the certainty you have about what did or did not go on this season is so crazy to me. Be well. Losing Marshall is a tough blow. The training/weightlifting program was one of the things that drew Jermaine to URI.
Maybe we can find a guy that trips NFL players making a kick return.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote:
Maybe we can find a guy that trips NFL players making a kick return.

I would hope we wouldn't have to stoop that low. That would really be a poor reflection on a school.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The timing on the Marshall departure really hurts. The players workout program with him is most intense June - Aug. Today was his last day. They need to hire someone quick and keep the same program Marshall had in place. This is a big development summer for the 4 Fr.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

And URI will be short two full time Assistants to start the 2020 contact period.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

This is huge. Losing Dan Marshall is something we really cannot afford given the loss of our head coach, etc. He was the core of our program. Jermaine Harris came to URI because he wanted a program focused on weightlifting. I assume he liked coach Marshall. This is not good.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Will we be short two full time coaches on the recruiting trail or just on our roster page? Honest question, can they recruit on our behalf if they haven't been officially named?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If I’m not mistaken, the assistants are all on board, just can’t be officially announced yet.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Will we be short two full time coaches on the recruiting trail or just on our roster page? Honest question, can they recruit on our behalf if they haven't been officially named?
I would guess if they're not on the payroll yet, they can't legally recruit. Just a guess though.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TJ is still in the recruiting mode so he takes one of the spots temporarily. I think Sutton can observe but isn’t making contact yet. He provided Cox with names and Coach Cox made the offers. That worked with the ‘19s who Sutton previously had contact with. Not the same with ‘20s who they are trying to establish contact with. They should’ve bought out Sutton’s contract if it was going to take this long. He was suppose to be on board the last week of May.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think, considering the budgetary constraints, if this is a creative way to get higher quality assistants on the staff then I’m totally fine with it. There may not have been a perfect solution; you may have had to choose between having the best guys you could get officially start July 1 or less quality guys start May 1 or whatever. If that’s the case,I’m fine with it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The program is a little fragile this offseason due to what happened. Still a great time to seize the opportunity of keeping up the momentum.

I full faith that they are doing what is in the best interest of URI basketball.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:
RF1 wrote:
And is he not going to do those things at UConn? I love that you have those tweets on copy/paste and keep pulling them out like they prove some point. He did his thing at URI and did it well, and his players appreciate him. UConn was a dream job for him, whether that makes sense to anyone or not, but just because you might think the job sucks doesn’t mean that’s not true to him.
If it's not about money and it's not about winning (his words ), then why did he leave? Is it prettier there? Did he get tired of mentoring these kids and he wanted some new kids to mentor? What is the true reason? Seriously, I'd like to know.
Not to state the obvious, but he left bc he feels winning a NC at Uconn is more probable than winning a NC at URI. And objectively, it is. My disappointment is that for a lot of reasons I thought DH was more inclined to be someone who charted his own path, a la Mark Few, than someone who wants to walk in someone else's legacy. That was the part I had wrong about him, and which made me annoyed AF in the days following the announcement. His move was the logical one, but also the more basic one. That said, unlike others, I am not throwing the baby out with the bath water and now criticizing his coaching skills or motivations...I think he's a darn good coach, and I do believe at the time his motivations were sincere. End of day it's a business, and until we get our version of an Ed Cooley (homegrown, local roots) no one will be as loyal to URI and the state as us fans.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:
And is he not going to do those things at UConn? I love that you have those tweets on copy/paste and keep pulling them out like they prove some point. He did his thing at URI and did it well, and his players appreciate him. UConn was a dream job for him, whether that makes sense to anyone or not, but just because you might think the job sucks doesn’t mean that’s not true to him.
If it's not about money and it's not about winning (his words ), then why did he leave? Is it prettier there? Did he get tired of mentoring these kids and he wanted some new kids to mentor? What is the true reason? Seriously, I'd like to know.
Not to state the obvious, but he left bc he feels winning a NC at Uconn is more probable than winning a NC at URI. And objectively, it is. My disappointment is that for a lot of reasons I thought DH was more inclined to be someone who charted his own path, a la Mark Few, than someone who wants to walk in someone else's legacy. That was the part I had wrong about him, and which made me annoyed AF in the days following the announcement. His move was the logical one, but also the more basic one. That said, unlike others, I am not throwing the baby out with the bath water and now criticizing his coaching skills or motivations...I think he's a darn good coach, and I do believe at the time his motivations were sincere. End of day it's a business, and until we get our version of an Ed Cooley (homegrown, local roots) no one will be as loyal to URI and the state as us fans.
Once again, HE said it's not about winning championships. I know that's a big reason he left. And I don't blame him. Just don't lie about it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I will go on record as saying DH will never win a national title at UConn.

Some might not agree or like it, but that's my opinion.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That’s not really going out on a limb there. Doesn’t mean he won’t be successful- legends like Izzo and Boeheim have a whopping 1, Few has 0. It’s not easy.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right final 4s are more like the bench mark. I am sure if DH gets them to a final 4 he can coach there a long time
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:I will go on record as saying DH will never win a national title at UConn.

Some might not agree or like it, but that's my opinion.
He wouldn’t have won one here either, but if we’re being realistic, he has a better chance to do so at UCONN.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Looks like Chase Campbell may be our new strength and conditioning coach. Worked recently with WNBA team, Indiana Fever — if Cox and Boswell recently following is any indication.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

DC_Rams wrote:Looks like Chase Campbell may be our new strength and conditioning coach. Worked recently with WNBA team, Indiana Fever — if Cox and Boswell recently following is any indication.

He also re-tweeted the URI non conference schedule.

In addition to the last 2 years with Indiana Fever and St. Vincent's Sports Performance, he has prior experience at Miami (OH) and Vanderbilt .
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reckless jake wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:Looks like Chase Campbell may be our new strength and conditioning coach. Worked recently with WNBA team, Indiana Fever — if Cox and Boswell recently following is any indication.

In addition to the last 2 years with Indiana Fever and St. Vincent's Sports Performance, he has prior experience at Miami (OH) and Vanderbilt .
I didn’t see any retweets
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

DC_Rams wrote:
reckless jake wrote:

I didn’t see any retweets
Oooops... My bad, he didnt re-tweet it, he "liked" it.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

He is also followed on instagram by the Rhody MBB profile as well. So clearly the Rhody MBB profile sent a request to be his friend. Where there is smoke there is fire. Seems to have a solid experience or background. And is a very speedy and quick replacement hire if you ask me. Lets hope he connects with the student athletes.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

sevegny7 wrote:He is also followed on instagram by the Rhody MBB profile as well. So clearly the Rhody MBB profile sent a request to be his friend. Where there is smoke there is fire. Seems to have a solid experience or background. And is a very speedy and quick replacement hire if you ask me. Lets hope he connects with the student athletes.
FWIW: Daniel Marshall, per his instagram comments, was part of the hiring process and thinks the new hire will succeed.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cox will pretty much have a new staff mostly with his hires. There will be just a few old staff members left for the Hurley family to poach.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

You gotta wonder what Thorr thinks about all this?
Last edited by CTRamfan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^^ "Yikes. How're we gonna get butts in seats?"
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^^ "Yikes. How're we gonna get butts in seats?"

Easy answer......Naked Female Jello Wrestling at halftime. The place will be packed.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:You gotta wonder how Thorr thinks about all this?
How he thinks about what?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:

About everything since March 20, and the three previous contract negotiations of Hurley's. Does he think everything negotiated was in good faith? Did Thorr anticipate the staff changes when Hurley left? Did Cox want to establish his own staff, rather than retain?.......Of course he can't say, but over a coffee, what was he feeling?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

About everything since March 20, and the three previous contract negotiations of Hurley's. Does he think everything negotiated was in good faith? Did Thorr anticipate the staff changes when Hurley left? Did Cox want to establish his own staff, rather than retain?.......Of course he can't say, but over a coffee, what was he feeling?
The staff changes are normal. Not sure what you're trying to get at.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t get what he’s getting at either. Honestly hard for me to imagine he could have expected things since Dan decided to take the UConn job would go more smoothly, or that any of this caught him by surprise. I’m sure he also was less convinced than most fans that Dan was going to be here for the next 10 years, so I’m sure he viewed all of this as an inevitability. My guess is that he’d tell you the same thing over a coffee, or five beers, or whatever you think would loosen him up the most to shoot straight with you.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see us get a replacement for Marshall so quickly!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Still two assistants positions open?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not really
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:Not really
Are you saying that Sutton is in Kingston like Moore was last June?
I have not heard that.

Has Marshall’s replacement started? Ty had an Instagram video clip earlier this week of the fitness area and he showed it empty. Not sure if he was making a statement or showing that he was working out with no one else there.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:Still two assistants positions open?
Cmon Iggy, you know better. Everyone is on board and working.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

We know Coach Cox is going to be here for awhile. It will be nice to not have to deal with the potential of your HC leaving after every season.

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:We know Coach Cox is going to be here for awhile. It will be nice to not have to deal with the potential of your HC leaving after every season.
I disagree, I would prefer to be so good that our coach is coveted every single offseason.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:We know Coach Cox is going to be here for awhile. It will be nice to not have to deal with the potential of your HC leaving after every season.
I disagree, I would prefer to be so good that our coach is coveted every single offseason.
Yes and no. I want him to be so good to be coveted every single off season, then after several years we are that good and have him at a point where he'll want to turn down offers and/or if he does accept one, then this is a coveted position that we'll get someone even better.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote:
Not ideal for recruiting when your coach is considering offers from other schools every year. The recruiting network feeds on rumors that the coach will not be there after the players’ first year.

Cox can be good but let it be known he isn’t interested. That wasn’t Dan approach.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yet Dan recruited very well at URI, and the year before his last pulled in his best ever class. Reality is everyone but a couple coaches could always leave for something better (blue blood, NBA), not sure having an in demand coach hurts recruiting.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article on Leila Cox sounds like she is going places in life

As far as Cox I love that he says URI is his dream job I can see him here at least 10 years if he has success
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If that's the case, DC will be making $2.5 mill in 5 years. No way we keep a coach for less than that. I'm good paying it. Keep the RC packed. Get to the NCAAT. Just pay the damn coach when it is expected.