Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A waste of time and resources. I suppose it's better to find out now. I am sure there are internal situations on every team that we never know about.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I still think this will end up ok. Forces the three young guys onto the floor at the same time; that's a good thing. Also will keep Martin focused on staying close to the hoop to rebound and play D. With hare in the rotation, Martin may have played some 3. Now he will probably exclusively play the 4.

As far as PCs lineup; it will probably be Dunn, Lindsey, Henton, Harris and Carson by December. Bentil, Chuckwu and Carrwright off the bench.
Lot of length.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Let's see who's farther along when they play each other.

Back court: Edge URI

Front court: Edge PC
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Thats about right Bone. Both teams with lots of youth among their best and similar growing pains. PC fans underestimated the value of Bryce Cotton IMO. It will show itself all year. You just don't replace a player like that so quickly unless you are a blue blood. Bentil will be very good.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

In case anyone still has doubt over Hare being gone from URI Basketball forever, Bill Koch addressed this question in today's Projo College Hoop Podcast at the 10:30 mark:

Koch said: "He is really gone. He will never play again for the University of Rhode Island"

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/content/20141118-pick-and-pop-college-hoops-podcast-k-mac-and-bill-koch-on-a-big-week-in-local-hoops.ece
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Who is doubting that he's gone? Did I miss something?

EDIT: Sorry, misread that. This is addressing those speculating about a return.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm still hearing that, "Maybe if he asked Dan nicely, he could be reinstated" BS.
When do these people stop this wishful thinking?
I'm also told it was Hurley who pulled the plug.
In the words of the Donna Summer song, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH".
Some day, the real story will come out.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:...
I'm also told it was Hurley who pulled the plug.
In the words of the Donna Summer song, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH".
Some day, the real story will come out.
Dan's comments, while few, seem to indicate that, too .... or at least are consistent with the idea that Hare was told to leave.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Told to leave where though.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Hurley seems like the type of guy who is above seeing these kids like strictly commodities. Hare does seem like he is in a tough spot and I am guessing Hurley viewed him as more than a top 100 recruit with upside. But, the reality is this situation might have cost Rhody getting Gustys or Aaron Brown due to the scholarship situation. At some point, you do have to cut bait especially when there is a scholarship crunch. God only knows where Hare is in regards to the APR calculation.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This whole thing is just suspect. I mean, all talk about Hare was positive all summer by Dan himself. Hare was at the Harvard scrimmage and then 4 days later he gets kicked off the team? Hmmm. And we know he didn't go to practice on Wednesday. So inquiring minds want to know what happened bettween the scrimmage and Wednesday.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote:This whole thing is just suspect. I mean, all talk about Hare was positive all summer by Dan himself. Hare was at the Harvard scrimmage and then 4 days later he gets kicked off the team? Hmmm. And we know he didn't go to practice on Wednesday. So inquiring minds want to know what happened bettween the scrimmage and Wednesday.
I think Hurley was probably a bit hamstrung - He can either make positive comments, or he can say nothing. Typically coaches don't slag outgoing players because there are privacy concerns and optics about the situation. Hurley doesn't really have anything to gain by saying, "Well Hare's work ethic sucked and we'll move on."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

From what I heard this was the players decision, not the coach or the school. And whoever said it is right, it's not Dan's style nor is their anything gained by dogging a kid on the way out. From what I can gather this was about a kid thinking he should be starting and not thinking team first. Really don't understand how he possibly thought he would bump either Gil or Hassan out of the lineup before the opening tip. Sounds delusional to me.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BAR, you are reading my mind.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I said before I just don't think Hare ever really loved basketball and lived it like most D1 players do. He just happened to live in a 6'10" body that could bounce all over the gym. If he had been 6'1" I doubt he would have even played in high school. I think at some point that was going to cause a disconnect between him and the coach, who has been around the game since he was an infant and lives and breathes it and expects the same from his guys. I was rooting hard for it to work, but in retrospect it seemed doomed to fail. No use worrying about it because both sides tried their best to make it work and it didn't.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:Hurley seems like the type of guy who is above seeing these kids like strictly commodities.
bigappleram wrote:From what I heard this was the players decision, not the coach or the school. And whoever said it is right, it's not Dan's style nor is there anything gained by dogging a kid on the way out. From what I can gather this was about a kid thinking he should be starting and not thinking team first.
Quoted for truth. Literally.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thanks Ace for bringing instant credibility to this information. It really helps us all understand the process that lead to the decision for player and program to part ways.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's absolutely not a black and white issue, but what I am certain of is that the team has put it behind them. It's done, and this is a very hard working, cohesive group moving forward.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If that was Jordan's attitude, then it's a good thing that he is gone. You don't need that in a locker room full of young guys.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With Dan, a bad attitude will get you gone, or at the end of the bench.

The sad thing is, JH had 3 years left, and if he worked his ass off, with his potential he COULD have been a starter by next season with Gil graduating.

He should have taken the opportunity he was given [getting back on the team] and run with it.

Instead, he threw it away.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

One of my favorite players on our Elite 8 team was Josh King. He didn't start but he made a mid-range jumper during the game that turned the momentum our way and we beat number 1 Kansas. Team First. Always. Go Rhody.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

King was definitely a starter on that Elite 8 team.
Cat, Tyson, Luther, ARD and King. PMurph guard off the bench.
Arigbabu big off the bench.

Now, anyone who thinks Dan was going to put up with attitude, insubordination,
and disruption of team chemistry, and it wasn't his decision in large part,
is kidding themselves.
I was also told that there was some incident on the bench during one of the scrimmages.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

My memory fades. Still love his play. Sorry Josh.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Def was a starter. Was very consistent with the corner three, long, rebounded well and was a team player. You know who should model his gw after Josh King, Jarell Reischel.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

King had an awesome game at the PCC vs. Tom Pender's Texas team.
25 points and 13 rebounds.
When he was on, he could fill it up.
Really nice first class kid, too!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Arigbabu! Now there is a name I haven't seen in a while. Had a few classes with him while at URI, really nice guy. Quite a lengthy career in Europe after URI.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love hearing these names- makes me go look them up and learn something.

I think one of my favorite things about this board was finding out that there was a player named Parfait Bitee.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I love hearing these names- makes me go look them up and learn something.

I think one of my favorite things about this board was finding out that there was a player named Parfait Bitee.
and Joe Mbang!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

And a sign one game that said,"we will Mbang you until you can't Seawright....."
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Team has almost as many Coaching Staff members as Scholarship Players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a classroom ratio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:
AWESOME!!!!!!!! Team has almost as many Coaching Staff members as Scholarship Players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also: Can we move this thread to "FORMER PLAYERS: WHERE ARE THEY NOW?"
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
bressler3south wrote:

Also: Can we move this thread to "FORMER PLAYERS: WHERE ARE THEY NOW?"
I was hoping this thread would now just die.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Parfait Bitee was the best on-ball defender of his time.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Parfait Bitee was the best on-ball defender of his time.
Right. He was here for four years. And do you mean for guards or all positions? Again: He was here….for..four years. He was a good defender.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think the best thing about Parfait is how awesome a person he is. Great guy, and he still comes back to the Ryan center from time to time.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

IDK what your getting at with the 4 years.

To narrow, I would say junior/senior yr he was the best on-ball defender. When that term is generally used it is in reference to defending guys handling the ball on the perimeter.

What I really saw was that PB was able to stay in front of anybody and in their shirt by moving his feet. You know beat the guy to the spot.

Is there some anti-parfait group out there? Not saying he was a world beater. He suffered from having to play the point guard on offense.

IMHO it is much more difficult to create offense when bringing the ball up because the defense sees you coming and sets up against you, Lebron suffers from this. When you can wait for the ball at an angle and then attack a defense that is adjusting to you receiving the ball from another player, I think you get an advantage.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:IDK what your getting at with the 4 years.
Ha I was hoping I wasn't alone in not having the foggiest idea about what his point was.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I fully support this becoming a Parfait Bitee thread from here on out!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Great. Why not a Steve Kopitko thread. Or Ron Tishkevich?
Or Leon Mintshenko? Or John Mulfinger?
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

or Mike Schanne? Probably wouldn't be a good idea since less than 5% of the board would be able to participate.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:Let's see who's farther along when they play each other.

Back court: Edge URI

Front court: Edge PC
I disagree. Desrosiers is very immobile and not a dominant force down low. Chukwu is a bean pole. Listed at 7'2 225. Tall doesn't mean much by itself. I'm not ready to concede anything to PC yet.

BAR, agree that they way underestimate how big of a hole they'll have without Bryce Cotton - but everyone seems to forget about Kadeem Batts. He averaged an efficient 12 and 7 while playing 30/game. Desrosiers was a 3 and 5 20 minute guy.

Last year Harris was 11 and 5, and Henton was 14 and 7. They need to step up huge this year since one of them are going to have to carry the scoring vacated by Cotton, Batts, and Fortune. I think Harris can carry a good amount of that load, but losing 3 of your top 5 veteran scorers can't just be replaced with freshman (counting Dunn in that group) in the back court.

I really don't expect a lot out of PC this year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

CD is suprisingly effective on the defensive end. He is a rim protector. Any offense is gravy. Chukwu is deff a project; but has great instincts. 10-15 minutes a game he will be fine. Harris and Henton will have to carry the load until Dunn and Lindsey adapt. I really like what I've seen so far from Bentil. Very physical, high motor guy. PC isn't outscoring anyone this year. They will have to win with defense. December's game will be interesting to see who can impose their will. I think the game would be much more fun to watch in February; when players from both sides establish their roles.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

seanmc94 wrote:CD is suprisingly effective on the defensive end. He is a rim protector. Any offense is gravy. Chukwu is deff a project; but has great instincts. 10-15 minutes a game he will be fine. Harris and Henton will have to carry the load until Dunn and Lindsey adapt. I really like what I've seen so far from Bentil. Very physical, high motor guy. PC isn't outscoring anyone this year. They will have to win with defense. December's game will be interesting to see who can impose their will. I think the game would be much more fun to watch in February; when players from both sides establish their roles.
Agreed December will be a good one, it always is. I just think PC is back to the "year away" thing that URI has been stuck in. Dunn will need a year to get the rust off - Bentil and Lindsay will need time as well. Next year you'll lose Henton so someone down low will need to pick up all that slack. I like watching Harris play, and he's clearly going to be your leading offense moving forward, I just don't see everything coming together this year for the Friars.

Just like UMASS - once you lose the person who runs and was your offense, a lot of other flaws show up you didn't know existed.

I know Dunn was a stud PG coming out of HS, but you can't take essentially 2 years off from basketball and expect to be even close to what you were.

Michigan State struggled with Navy last week, so I am curious to see what PC has tomorrow night. Struggling to beat Albany and not being able to put away a really bad Binghamton team til late wouldn't give me confidence in an easy win.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

seanmc94 wrote:CD is suprisingly effective on the defensive end. He is a rim protector. Any offense is gravy. Chukwu is deff a project; but has great instincts. 10-15 minutes a game he will be fine. Harris and Henton will have to carry the load until Dunn and Lindsey adapt. I really like what I've seen so far from Bentil. Very physical, high motor guy. PC isn't outscoring anyone this year. They will have to win with defense. December's game will be interesting to see who can impose their will. I think the game would be much more fun to watch in February; when players from both sides establish their roles.
I smell fear.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Chukwu is averaging less than 10 minutes a game, and I would think his minutes will go down in conference games.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I feel like Dunn is a POOR mans John wall. I have been trying to figure out his comparison or what he is supposed to be.

He hasn't been very good for a long time.

Agree with the Batts mention, he was huge for them.

This thread should get an RIP.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I feel like Dunn is a POOR mans John wall. I have been trying to figure out his comparison or what he is supposed to be.
I think the better comparison is a rich man's Jon Lucky. Injuries marred both players career to the point that there will always be a "what if?" question lingering. I believe Dunn was seen as having NBA potential coming out of high school, whereas at this point, I think PC would settle for him being a really solid point guard for them. (Is there still NBA buzz on him? Admittedly, I follow URI much more than PC at this point, since I haven't covered the Friars in about 6 years.)
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I think Dunn needs to show he can stay healthy before the NBA buzz reignites. He is a freak athletically. Fast and fluid. He just has to knock the rust off. I think he'll be ok by conference play. His freshman year, he was the best player on the floor during a couple of NIT games.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Dunn has more physical tools than Lucky.
Neither player is/was a shooter.
Lucky was the slowest PG at URI since Terry Pitman,
Ramfan85's favorite player, or Mike Schanne, Neil's favorite.