Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I honestly do believe that additional testing/medical information helped changed the decision.
That has to be it. The realization of how much money they were leaving on the table...while others are getting theirs....had absolutely nothing to do with it.
They knew how much money they would lose when the made their original decision. They didn't wake up thinking OH SH*T.
Serious question (that I don't know the answer to): What is the "additional medical info" that has come out since they made their first call?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That has to be it. The realization of how much money they were leaving on the table...while others are getting theirs....had absolutely nothing to do with it.
They knew how much money they would lose when the made their original decision. They didn't wake up thinking OH SH*T.
Serious question (that I don't know the answer to): What is the "additional medical info" that has come out since they made their first call?
That it's going to get a lot worse in November and December.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Gotta love covid college football...

Baylor was supposed to play Louisiana Tech last week. Postponed due to COVID.

Houston was supposed to play Memphis this week. Postponed due to COVID.

Baylor and Houston scramble to set up game for this week to fill a scheduling hole. Postponed due to COVID.

Good effort!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Agree that that is likely...which is why I asked the question.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Agree that that is likely...which is why I asked the question.
Prediction is that 100,000 will die in the U.S. in December alone.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Now URI

3 COVID-19 cases force dozens of sorority, fraternity members at URI to quarantine
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Basically, rapid testing.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/big-te ... f-football
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Basically, rapid testing.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/big-te ... f-football
Not buying it...I'm going with political pressure, money and lawsuits (choose your own order), mostly because of this statement:

“For me it wasn’t political pressure, it wasn’t about money or lawsuits...", said Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Now URI

3 COVID-19 cases force dozens of sorority, fraternity members at URI to quarantine
From the Projo Article...

URI said it has conducted 1,350 tests between Sept. 10 and 17 and identified 41 positive cases, a 3% positive rate. The university said it is comfortable that this metric remains below the benchmark established as part of its return to campus plan. It also said that a sufficient number of quarantine/isolation beds remain available.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... ovid-tests
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Hopefully they haven't spread it to the surrounding neighborhood, where my family -- some of whom are in their 80s -- still lives.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Projo article this week about why the Big 10 changed its mind

https://providencejournal-ri-app.newsme ... =3dc328f89
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Roger Williams University warning about not visiting PC

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC on CNN. PC President sending students back home with the virus? What a school.

The Providence College president said off-campus students who have tested positive should return home if they can while others will be relocated to campus facility or a hotel room.
But leading infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci has warned against colleges sending infected students home, saying they could take the virus with them.
"You send them back to their community, you will in essence be reseeding with individuals who are capable of transmitting infection, many communities throughout the country," he said earlier this month. "So it's much, much better to have the capability to put them in a place where they could comfortably recover."

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I didn't like being exposed to PC students back in the 70s either.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I agree with Fauci, keep the students there if theyre sick. Theyll mostl likely kick it in a week tops anyways. Last thing you want are sick students going home to mamma and papa.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exactly, but leave it to PC to stupidly send the students home instead of quarantining them like all other schools
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Exactly, but leave it to PC to stupidly send the students home instead of quarantining them like all other schools
They didn’t SEND students home. They required students that live off campus to stay in their apartments/houses (stay home).
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Exactly, but leave it to PC to stupidly send the students home instead of quarantining them like all other schools
They didn’t SEND students home. They required students that live off campus to stay in their apartments/houses (stay home).
That is not what the CNN Article says. Dr Fauci says they will take the virus home with them. They can infect others. They should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks.

The Providence College president said off-campus students who have tested positive should return home if they can while others will be relocated to campus facility or a hotel room.
But leading infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci has warned against colleges sending infected students home, saying they could take the virus with them.
"You send them back to their community, you will in essence be reseeding with individuals who are capable of transmitting infection, many communities throughout the country," he said earlier this month. "So it's much, much better to have the capability to put them in a place where they could comfortably recover."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

AP Rankings this week. ACC with 7 teams. 2 Independents ranked Army and Brigham Young.

SEC - 8 (Nos. 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 16, 23).
ACC - 7 (Nos. 1, 7, 11, 12, 20, 21, 24).
Big 12 - 3 (Nos. 3, 8, 15).
American - 3 (Nos. 13, 14, 17).
Conference USA - 1 (No. 25).
Sun Belt - 1 (No. 19).
Independents - 2 (Nos. 18, 22).

RANK TEAM
1 Clemson
2 Alabama
3 Oklahoma
4 Georgia
5 Florida
6 LSU
7 Notre Dame
8 Auburn
8 Texas
10 Texas A&M
11 North Carolina
12 Miami
13 UCF
14 Cincinnati
15 Oklahoma State
16 Tennessee
17 Memphis
18 BYU
19 Louisiana Lafayette
20 Virginia Tech
21. Pittsburgh
22 Army
23 Kentucky
24 Louisville
25 Marshall
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI puts 3rd Greek house under quarantine
https://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/20 ... quarantine
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Heard Notre Dame cancelled practice today because four players tested positive and six others are in quarantine due to contact tracing protocol.

No larger opinion from me added here regarding the pros and cons of playing football. Just putting out information I heard.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wake Forest athletic director John Currie said in a statement they are working on rescheduling the game for Oct. 3, an open date the two schools share.
"I know everyone involved is saddened to be unable to play this weekend, but based on the circumstances it is the right decision," Currie said in a statement. "We are already discussing options for rescheduling with the ACC and our future opponents, including the possibility of playing on the October 3rd weekend."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tive-tests
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode Island is truly becoming an island. Its residents can no longer freely travel to MA, CT, NY, NJ, and ME. If any RI athletics teams were still competing, they would be barred from most neighboring northeast states.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island is truly becoming an island. Its residents can no longer freely travel to MA, CT, NY, NJ, and ME. If any RI athletics teams were still competing, they would be barred from most neighboring northeast states.
Not true - if team / students can produce a negative test for the athletes then they would have no issue traveling to NE states.
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island is truly becoming an island. Its residents can no longer freely travel to MA, CT, NY, NJ, and ME. If any RI athletics teams were still competing, they would be barred from most neighboring northeast states.
Not true - if team / students can produce a negative test for the athletes then they would have no issue traveling to NE states.
Agree not true.
I can go to any state just need negative test. I go to CVS and results in 1-2 days, sometimes less than 24 hours. Even then nobody checks me going into MA, CT, NH, VT or Maine. Just have the documentation just in case.
Media makes it sound much worse than it is
Reality has R.I. loaded with cars from all over New England and especially full of NY license plates.
Auto Travel is not impacted like the media likes to insinuate and scare. But then Halloween is around the bend
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Much of this action is nonsensical in light of the small size of the states in the Northeast. For example, using the NY Times data base, the covid infection rate per 100,000 is 600 for South County compared to the infection rate for Suffolk County (greater Boston) at 2,963, but a resident from South County cannot travel to Boston, but a Boston resident can travel to URI. Now that makes lots of sense doesn't it?!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is it ironic that RI is restricted to travel to NY NJ MA because of students that came to RI from NY NJ MA?
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Much of this action is nonsensical in light of the small size of the states in the Northeast. For example, using the NY Times data base, the covid infection rate per 100,000 is 600 for South County compared to the infection rate for Suffolk County (greater Boston) at 2,963, but a resident from South County cannot travel to Boston, but a Boston resident can travel to URI. Now that makes lots of sense doesn't it?!!
Do you mean Washington County? I'll assume so. These are cases from the beginning of the year not present cases. But, your County to County comparison may be correct today.
NCAAs or Bust!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

You are asking government officials to put restrictions in place that make sense. That's your first mistake.

The handling of this whole pandemic has turned me from a left leaning independent, to more of a libertarian. Making arbitrary travel bans has really shown me that government officials only have 1 interest in mind and that is self interest.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Much of this action is nonsensical in light of the small size of the states in the Northeast. For example, using the NY Times data base, the covid infection rate per 100,000 is 600 for South County compared to the infection rate for Suffolk County (greater Boston) at 2,963, but a resident from South County cannot travel to Boston, but a Boston resident can travel to URI. Now that makes lots of sense doesn't it?!!
Do you mean Washington County? I'll assume so. These are cases from the beginning of the year not present cases. But, your County to County comparison may be correct today.
Yes, South County is Washington County which includes the towns of Westerly, South Kingstown, Richmond, North Kingstown, New Shoreham, Narragansett, Hopkinton, Exeter, and Charlestown. The data provided is total cases rate per 100,000. If you compared total cases over the last 7 days, the South County total is 50 and for greater Boston, it's about 2,576. No surprise given the big difference in population of the two area (Boston is 6.4 times larger), but even adjusting for that, Boston has a much higher infection rate - a much higher rate than the standard MA uses to exclude RIers from going to Mass.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhode Island’s positive rate is 1.5%. These travel restrictions are horse sh*t. Lol
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

This is what can happen when you don’t have a national strategy. Each state ends up setting its own benchmarks and there is no consistency. As far as rationale with travel restrictions, some states use total new positive cases, other states use positivity rate as a percentage of total tested. The latter makes more sense to me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Raimondo blames “incredibly selfish students at PC” for the restrictions to travel for R.I. residents

Gov. Gina M. Raimondo blamed Providence College students bouncing from party to party while not wearing masks for Rhode Island landing on the list of states whose residents cannot travel to Connecticut, New York and New Jersey without quarantining for 14 days upon their arrival.[/i]

"If you think it's fun to have those parties, which lead to an outbreak ... it's hurting the whole state," the governor said. "It's not a joke. We're hurting people because of our selfishness, and we know that following the rules matters."
Raimondo reported that about 150 students at Providence College have tested positive, plus about 40 at URI. The number at PC rose later in the day to 191.
That has pushed Rhode Island, which had been averaging seven to eight new cases a day per 100,000 population, above the 10-cases-a-day benchmark that Connecticut, New York and New Jersey use to determine who must quarantine when visiting their states.
"We're all feeling the consequences of these outbreaks at Providence College, and to a lesser extent at URI," Raimondo said. "To all the people at PC who played a hand in this, these are real consequences. This is hurting people's business in Rhode Island."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.provid ... ate=ampart
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on PC students you are better than that
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Come on PC students you are better than that
But are we SURE they're better than that?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's numbers are all but certain to go up given the behavior of young people. It is just a matter of time.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Rhode Island’s positive rate is 1.5%. These travel restrictions are horse sh*t. Lol
I'm not sure if they changed it, but RI was using a different model for rates than what other groups (such as John Hopkins) use, therefore deflating the positive percentage. This was from a WPRI article last month:

Johns Hopkins epidemiologists have decided a moving average of new cases (people testing positive for the first time) as a percentage of a moving average of new tests (people testing positive and negative for the first time) is the best way to calculate positivity.

In Rhode Island, health officials calculate the rate differently. They measure new cases (people testing positive for the first time) as a percentage of total tests (including retests of individuals who’ve previously tested positive) for a given day.

As a result, Rhode Island’s rate over the last couple months has typically ranged between 2 to 3 percentage points lower than the positivity rate reported by Johns Hopkins.

https://www.wpri.com/target-12/heres-wh ... -you-look/

You can see why the RI method is a little wacky ... If I test positive for COVID once, I show up as one positive case and one total test. If I test positive 5 more times, I still only show as one positive case, but show as 6 total tests.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting to note that Vermont restricts visitors based on county of residence, so someone from South County can freely visit Vermont and someone from Greater Boston cannot. Now that is a more sensible approach.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Come on PC students you are better than that /s/
There, fixed it for you.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago This is what can happen when you don’t have a national strategy. Each state ends up setting its own benchmarks and there is no consistency. As far as rationale with travel restrictions, some states use total new positive cases, other states use positivity rate as a percentage of total tested. The latter makes more sense to me.
So what happens when you have one national strategy that is problematical.

Much better to have different areas trying different approaches and hopefully, people can learn from different approaches!