[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Who cut the posts out of this thread?
They were harmelss.
Ridiculous!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

They aren't gone, they're just moved to their own thread. I have no problem with you guys gossiping about real estate, but it isn't on topic. Harmless? Yes, absolutely. But also totally uninteresting and not topical.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

TruePoint wrote:They aren't gone, they're just moved to their own thread. I have no problem with you guys gossiping about real estate, but it isn't on topic. Harmless? Yes, absolutely. But also totally uninteresting and not topical.
Truepoint living up to his name
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Complete with snotty comment on removed part of thread.
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

Rod, why are you such a curmudgeon all of the time?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Really? Must be why I get discussed on a show hosted by two PC guys.
Must be why I have so many URI players and Athletic Department people
as followers on my Twitter account.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

rodfromcranston wrote:Really? Must be why I get discussed on a show hosted by two PC guys.
I am not a fan of RamJam but are you throwing out how many online friends you have?
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

2. Credit Dan Hurley for knowing who he is and where he fits at this point in his career. He easily could have chased the Rutgers job and the Big Ten. But he didn't want to go to his third job in three years. Hurley made a commitment to Rhode Island, and the school made one to him. He was facing a major rebuilding situation at Rutgers. He has already had to do that at Wagner and URI. Hurley now is determined to make URI a winner in the A-10, which should have a bit more upward movement without Xavier, Temple, Butler and Charlotte.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... point-shot
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since when is being talked about on a radio show about online friends?
I didn't even know that until a former co-worker emailed me today.

"What's up Rod!? I was listening to WEEI last Saturday morning with the local guys on and they were talking about PC and URI basketball. They mentioned something about Hurley possibly being a candidate for the Rutgers job and then went on give praises to Rod from Cranton who's a loyal URI fan who knows his stuff. I mean they went on and on for a while praising Rod from Cranston. Are you Rod from Cranston?"

Since when are Twitter followers like the AD, coaches and players, so easily dismissed?
Twitter is the number one source for breaking news, today.
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

rodfromcranston wrote: Twitter is the number one source for breaking news, today.
Oh really??? I thought it was Rod from Cranston.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seriously I don't get paid for this, so I really don't want to spend my time cleaning up stupid arguments about how important we all are or discussions about who lived in what house. Please keep these threads on topic. There is a place on this board where these types of conversations are appropriate, but this isn't it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Geez, TP, I thought you answered one of those "Work at home and make millions!"
ads, and got this gig?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does anybody know if there is any kind of PC announcing Dan's extension?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan's going to PC?
New rumor! LOL!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fire up the engines! Man your battlestations! Haha.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

"This is a huge statement to our student-athletes, our program, and the many dedicated fans of Rhode Island basketball. I thank President David Dooley and Thorr Bjorn for their support, trust, and shared commitment to the future success of our program," Hurley said in a release. "We will work harder than ever to make everyone proud to be associated with Rhode Island basketball."

------

And again, aside from the extra years (which are meaningless), the changes deal with program improvements. That shows what kind of person and coach Hurley is, despite the nonsense that was thrown at him earlier in this thread.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:"This is a huge statement to our student-athletes, our program, and the many dedicated fans of Rhode Island basketball. I thank President David Dooley and Thorr Bjorn for their support, trust, and shared commitment to the future success of our program," Hurley said in a release. "We will work harder than ever to make everyone proud to be associated with Rhode Island basketball."

------

And again, aside from the extra years (which are meaningless), the changes deal with program improvements. That shows what kind of person and coach Hurley is, despite the nonsense that was thrown at him earlier in this thread.
Don't get it twisted, Ace. This board (and fan base) LOVES Hurley. Anything negative that was said about him in this thread was the equivalent of what an insecure spouse would say if they thought their partner might be cheating. Anyways, it was a very small minority that said even a remotely negative thing.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:"This is a huge statement to our student-athletes, our program, and the many dedicated fans of Rhode Island basketball. I thank President David Dooley and Thorr Bjorn for their support, trust, and shared commitment to the future success of our program," Hurley said in a release. "We will work harder than ever to make everyone proud to be associated with Rhode Island basketball."

------

Don't get it twisted, Ace. This board (and fan base) LOVES Hurley. Anything negative that was said about him in this thread was the equivalent of what an insecure spouse would say if they thought their partner might be cheating. Anyways, it was a very small minority that said even a remotely negative thing.
Nothing twisted here at all. I know what was said and who said it.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: [OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Unread post by adam914 »

This is fantastic news all around. Sounds like the type of commitment many of us have been waiting for is finally here. For now and hopefully many years to come.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:When this extension is signed, people that called out the coach's character should be ready to repent.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, you're never said something in the heat of the moment and took it back?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Usually things don't go right for URI teams...the worst case scenario always seems to occur whether it is being excluded from traditional rivals when big east was created...to Tom Penders being here too briefly...Harrick being here too briefly...the end of Al Skinner's era.....the Jerry D era....Baron being here too long....the improvement of the A-10 only to see marquee teams leave for conferences offering more money...

....maybe Hurley saying no to a BCS Big Ten school and staying here is the start of good karma going forward....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:When this extension is signed, people that called out the coach's character should be ready to repent.
For sure there were a few off the reservation. Most of us stayed the course.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I waivered for an hour or so. I preferenced everything with
"IF this is true"..........
There seems some credence that there was communication with Rutgers, which factually
shows there was some interest in leaving, at least to the degree that contract perameters were
presented.
That's the reality of this.
That said, I welcome this news today, as Hurley being able to continue what he began last April.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Really? Must be why I get discussed on a show hosted by two PC guys.
humblebrag.com
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not if it's fact, Sean. LOL!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, maybe I missed it but I wasn't thinking of you when I said that some will need to repent. I think everyone knows where you stand with respect to Dan and the program.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You know, I got bombarded from several sources up until yesterday with
all variations of this story.
Trying to seperate wheat from chaff was tough.
Several people had elements of it right, but not one had the complete story
right.
I passed on some of these. Surmised what I thought was true and what could be plausable.
Some people are unhappy with my dismissal of their end of things, as they got some of it
right.
Doubtless the entire story will remain unknow to all but those involved.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I will apologize to Hurley for the statements I made. Although I did say that "if" what I've heard is true, clearly Hurley has high character and is not the selfish greedy prick or whatever it was that I said I would have called him if he had taken the Rutgers job.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is great news. It pretty much closes the door on any Rutgers talk this year.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Coach Hurley is the definition of Class Act. He not only turned down a Big 10 Job at age 40 (I know it's a mess at Rutgers) but he worked it to make improvements to the program, not his wallet. This is not the norm these days. I have been a Dan Hurley fan ever since he played at Seton Hall, being a fellow Jersey Guy, but now I really believe this man is destined for greatness in his coaching career. We are so lucky to have him run our program and he may have changed this Basketball program forever. Finally URI is thinking big.... I for one am now making monthly donations directly to the basketball program, and call everyone that can to join me even if its a few dollars. I love Rhode Island Basketball, and always will, but to finally be proud and excited about the future for he first time in over a decade is such a great feeling.

Go Rhody!!!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Since when is being talked about on a radio show about online friends?
I didn't even know that until a former co-worker emailed me today.

"What's up Rod!? I was listening to WEEI last Saturday morning with the local guys on and they were talking about PC and URI basketball. They mentioned something about Hurley possibly being a candidate for the Rutgers job and then went on give praises to Rod from Cranton who's a loyal URI fan who knows his stuff. I mean they went on and on for a while praising Rod from Cranston. Are you Rod from Cranston?"

Since when are Twitter followers like the AD, coaches and players, so easily dismissed?
Twitter is the number one source for breaking news, today.
Wow, sorry about that, I heard the whole pc, didn't post the discussion about you....assumed you heard the show. Sorry I didn't include that fact in my original comments regarding the golocal WEEI broadcast.

They actually were very complimentary re your passion for URI hoops before the pc / WEEI agenda of driving Hurley out of town continued.

Re the topic of the day, well done URI and my compliments/ congrats to Coach Hurley....integrity rules the day.

Well done.

I look forward to a sold out building and many years of enjoying top 25 teams going forward.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

------

Nothing twisted here at all. I know what was said and who said it.
This is stupid, we're all fans and supporters here, except the omnipresent PC perspective posters, GBG, RamJam, ok we're mostly all fans and supporters, but I don't see any reason to do the I'm a better fan than you thing (there aren't enough of us yet). Some may have a personal knowledge of Hurley's commitment to URI, some may have better inside connections, but alot of great supporters were nervous last weekend and personally I think thats the way Hurley wanted it, we should just be happy it worked for all of us.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not sure how that is related to my response.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch254h
Extension will keep Hurley in Kingston until 2019-20. His pay package will still range between $600K-$700K. #Rams #URI #GoRhody

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch254h
#URI assistants should benefit financially from departure of Bobby Hurley to Buffalo -- he was highest-paid staff member as Assoc. HC. #Rams

Bill Koch‏@BillKoch254h
Terms of the contract include 4 charter flights/season, training table and increase in the salary pool for assistant coaches. #URI #Rams

A training table? No Ipad?
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ace wrote:Not sure how that is related to my response.
My impression was that you were shaming those that didn't have 100% confidence throughout, if I misunderstood, I apologize but based on the responses I don't think I'm the only person who thought that.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote:Coach Hurley is the definition of Class Act. He not only turned down a Big 10 Job at age 40 (I know it's a mess at Rutgers) but he worked it to make improvements to the program, not his wallet. This is not the norm these days. I have been a Dan Hurley fan ever since he played at Seton Hall, being a fellow Jersey Guy, but now I really believe this man is destined for greatness in his coaching career. We are so lucky to have him run our program and he may have changed this Basketball program forever. Finally URI is thinking big.... I for one am now making monthly donations directly to the basketball program, and call everyone that can to join me even if its a few dollars. I love Rhode Island Basketball, and always will, but to finally be proud and excited about the future for he first time in over a decade is such a great feeling.

Go Rhody!!!
Agree on all counts, Mongo. Good post.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Thank you TruePoint, I don't post as much as I used to, but I'm just as passionate as you guys are... Btw, Rod is my hero, always kept up the faith.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thanks, Mongo!
I remember you well from the Projo board.
You should post more. It should be fun to be a Ram
for the foreseeable future!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BFC wrote:
ace wrote:Not sure how that is related to my response.
My impression was that you were shaming those that didn't have 100% confidence throughout, if I misunderstood, I apologize but based on the responses I don't think I'm the only person who thought that.
Not exactly; it was more my frustration with some people- and certainly not all- who were so quick to brand him, based only on rumors, as a liar, whore, fraud, greedy prick, phony, loser, unaccomplished coach who lacks integrity and character and has only gotten to where he is because of his last name. That's the talk, some qualified with if and some not, to which I was referring. In the end, his main goal remains improving your program- not to say that he doesn't benefit from this because of course he does. Truth be told, Dan's heard worse in his life and would love people getting this passionate about the basketball program in the off-season. Good things to come!
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rod, I will post more, but back in the day I used to be pretty brutal on opposing teams boards. I guess I've matured in he past 14 years... Maybe I can bring back the old Mongo for some laughs during the season. Ha ha.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

So, DH signs a contract extension that allows him to "retire-in-place" for 2 additional years, leave whenever he wants, OR accept an even better retirement package next season when we win 20+ games. Shouldn't he be anointed the new CFL?

This will become an annual circus if URI does well, and an albatross if we go back in the tank. This contract extensions "locks in" URI but doesn't "lock-up" DH for even a minute. What a total falicy that we have "locked-up" DH.

We should never sign a contract or extension with a coach that doesn't contain a significant buy-out penalty should s/he decides to leave within the first 3 years.

I'm not being critical of DH for negotiating this extension; I'm critical of URI for being such fools in agreeing to it. Maybe senior management wants to use such contracts to get more for themselves or a bigger slice of the URI pie for the empire in athletics.

I'm sure DH's rump-swabs will ask whether I've seen DH's contract or his extension. How do I know it holds no guarantees for URI? Well, I don't. But, this is the same argument made by URI/JB rump swabs about JB's last contract extension for which we ended up being on the hook.

I fear that this is one more example of the fiscal incompetence of the people who run URI and the State of RI. They give away everything and get nothing for the State. It is just like pensions and 38 Studios.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We got our man !!

One of the best up and coming coaches in America

Big dance coming by 2015
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

No coach would agree to those terms. They don't have to. They hold the hammer. Even if they did; a big school would just write a check. Look at Belein at Michigan. $5 mill buyout(ballpark). No problem.
The upgrades that DH has instituted will make it that much easier to attract a solid candidate to fill his shoes. One thing that blows me away is the training table. Football teams have had them since the 50s. Other sports are just coming around to the importance if nutrition. To top level athletes.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

As part of the extension, Rhode Island will commit itself to financially improving the program. Dan Hurley went 8-21 with the Rams last year, after posting a 38-23 record with Wagner in two seasons there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketb ... ers-041213
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody72 wrote:We should never sign a contract or extension with a coach that doesn't contain a significant buy-out penalty should s/he decides to leave within the first 3 years.

I'm not being critical of DH for negotiating this extension; I'm critical of URI for being such fools in agreeing to it. Maybe senior management wants to use such contracts to get more for themselves or a bigger slice of the URI pie for the empire in athletics.

I'm sure DH's rump-swabs will ask whether I've seen DH's contract or his extension. How do I know it holds no guarantees for URI? Well, I don't. But, this is the same argument made by URI/JB rump swabs about JB's last contract extension for which we ended up being on the hook.
72, you're right, you DON'T know what provisions the contract has for a buyout. If I remember correctly, the buyout language was strengthened on the original contract, given the very very tight fiscal situation the school was in at the time Hurley signed (Baron's settlement, etc).

So instead of writing a post like that, why not simply ask some of our friends in the media who frequent this board to report back on the specifics of the contract? As Projo loves to remind us, he IS a "State Employee".

Posts like this, 72, don't do you any favors if you're looking to establish yourself as a temperate, thoughtful member here. This rumpswab would like to see this contrarian act of yours retired.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ditto