[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1000 posts....possibly the most important topic to URI fans in years?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

OMG! Haha.

Seriously, if that fat fool starts something, we better finish it.

We have that "look down" satellite technology that supposedly can see an ant on the ground. He shouldn't be a problem to find, and then drop a nuke down his rat hole and end it.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ESPN wrote:Rhode Island coach Danny Hurley was offered the Rutgers job Monday night, turned it down late Wednesday night and will sign an extension Thursday night that will keep him with the Rams until 2019-20, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN.com.

The 40-year old New Jersey native mulled over the offer for two days before declining what was a $1 million-a-year salary, but only a five-year contract.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ing-source
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Was just going to post this! I guess those NJ people were serious. Thanks Dan!

Now I feel better.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think ESPN is covering their ass with this article. It was reported several days ago that Dan had turned down Rutgers, yet ESPN says he turned them down last night? I don't believe it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow, even a local tweet!!!

Kevin McNamara‏@KevinMcNamara331h
Dan Hurley and URI to announce contract extension Friday
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So Dan was mulling over this supposed offer, from a President of a future Big Ten school with no AD amidst a huge scandal in their men's basketball program, while hooking up random Rhody students with lunch from Burger Shack. OK. We officially win.

And KMac finally chimes in to say there's an announcement on Friday. I've been saying that all week.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:So Dan was mulling over this supposed offer, from a President of a future Big Ten school with no AD amidst a huge scandal in their men's basketball program, while hooking up random Rhody students with lunch from Burger Shack. OK. We officially win.

And KMac finally chimes in to say there's an announcement on Friday. I've been saying that all week.
Maybe you are KMac's source!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I won't feel 100% confident until Rutgers has a coach that isn't Hurley.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote:I won't feel 100% confident until Rutgers has a coach that isn't Hurley.
Twitter is exploding with the news of the extension as we speak....relax.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I'm not saying that I don't believe he's signing an extension. I'm sure he is. I'm saying that it really means nothing. Just look at Steve Alford.

He could easily change his mind.

My gut says he won't but it's definitely unthinkable.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

8 mil is chump change for a Big 1G team. If this is serious, they will up the initial offer. If not it's just fluff trying to placate the fan base
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

University presidents are generally eggheads. They know nothing about athletics. For Barchi to think 5/$5 million would get it done shows how out of touch he is with the situation.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That article says Dan was offered a 5 year deal, but wanted an 8 year deal, to seriously consider it?

You know guys, my crying wolf wasn't all that far off. Turns out Rutgers DID offer him. I'm not surprised at all. Took 2 days to turn it down...that was close. The extension, with the program improvements, likely saved the day.

Thank God he's staying. If this had been a year or two down the road, things might have been different.

Or, if Rutgers wasn't such a mess right now.

Oh, and 3wisemen, it's likely a good thing that they only offered 1 mil a year. In their situation right now, I doubt they could do much more.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

8 mil is chump change for a Big 1G team. If this is serious, they will up the initial offer. If not it's just fluff trying to placate the fan base
True...what if he calls Dan and says "what will it take?" Would Dan still say "not Interested"?

I can't take Harrick 2.0...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RiFan, you know me, I'm the Debbie Downer of this board...but after all that has happened, I would NOW be very surprised if Dan did a 360 and left, no matter if Rutgers does up their offer.

He's made a commitment to URI. They have made a commitment to him. He's going to stick to it. All this had to be done, to finally put this stuff to rest for at least another year.

One thing you can be sure of. Rutgers might not have gotten him now, but in a couple years, if their new coach doesn't pan out...they will be after him again...with an offer that might be too good to refuse, especially if the school gets it's act together, which they will in time.

By then, URI's BB program might be self-sustaining on a much higher level, so the loss of Hurley won't be the disaster it would have been, if he had left now.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I see what your saying rambone78 and I hope your right.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hurley = cure to PBSD?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Turns out my concerns were legit.

Dan won't go now, no matter how much Rutgers offers.

They're a big time mess. Lucky for us.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I still don't believe the ESPN article. This decision was not made last night.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, no matter when the decision was made, you have to realize just HOW CLOSE we came to losing Hurley.

He took 2 days to think about it. I'm sure he consulted a lot of people, not just family and players. He didn't reject it out of hand.

I think he truly believes that he now can, and will, build Rhody into a nationally recognized program.

If he didn't, gonzo-ville. Now, the good news. He's now here for a while. In a couple years, if we get to that next level or beyond, it'll be up to URI to redo HIS contract to $1 mil a year or better, and hope he's the next Shaka Smart, and says no again to Rutgers or another school.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Rambone, I like you, but you sound like Cordischi, "See I was right!" baloney.
Guess my NJ emailers were onto something. Hmm? I was less than courteous to them.
Ooops!
So, with no AD, they managed to get Hurley thinking about Rutgers' job.
Good thing Dooley, Thorr and company stepped up.
I think whatever went on with Rutgers was this past Friday, and perhaps before.
I think the idea of doing a rebuilding stint from ground zero was the deciding factor.
In any case, all's well that ends well!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If they only hire an interim Coach for next season we will be back here again a year from now.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

twisted3829 wrote:

A realtor friend of mine here in Gansett has been working with Mrs. Hurley since last Tuesday to find their "perfect" home here in Narragansett and that they wanted to stay for many years!!!!

I know in today's coaching world that doesn't hold much water but still nice to hear!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

South County shore>Jersey shore

Can't blame her! :P
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:

A realtor friend of mine here in Gansett has been working with Mrs. Hurley since last Tuesday to find their "perfect" home here in Narragansett and that they wanted to stay for many years!!!!

I know in today's coaching world that doesn't hold much water but still nice to hear!
Hopefully, Mrs. Hurley is the boss of that household and wants to settle here for life :)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RiFan, you might be right, but Rutgers would have to really blow Hurley away with their offer. URI might have to step up earlier to counter that. If they do that, it might be enough, if Mrs. Hurley has her way!

Once Rutgers joins the B10, and follows through on their own program and facility improvements, they will become a better lure to coaches. I still think they're destined to be a bottom feeder in that league for the forseeable future, however.

They've got nowhere to go but up, like us a year ago.

If Dan had stayed at Wagner another year, he'd be at Rutgers as we speak. But then, it wouldn't matter to us anyway.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Billyboy, no matter when the decision was made, you have to realize just HOW CLOSE we came to losing Hurley.

He took 2 days to think about it. I'm sure he consulted a lot of people, not just family and players. He didn't reject it out of hand.

I think he truly believes that he now can, and will, build Rhody into a nationally recognized program.

If he didn't, gonzo-ville. Now, the good news. He's now here for a while. In a couple years, if we get to that next level or beyond, it'll be up to URI to redo HIS contract to $1 mil a year or better, and hope he's the next Shaka Smart, and says no again to Rutgers or another school.
I don't really agree. We don't know exactly what was going on behind the scenes, or why. We only know what they decided they want us to know. Maybe the timing wasn't what they say it was. Maybe all the Rutgers offer did was give Dan the leverage he needed to get what he wanted from URI (which I am all for, by the way).

Either way, if Dan wanted to be at Rutgers, he would be. But he isn't, because he wants to be at URI. So however it seems, we didn't necessarily narrowly avoid disaster. In fact, if Dan was going to coach here next year either way, I'd rather it be after he was recruited by another school than not. Now we know that he isn't just waiting for the next move, and that he wants to be here. He is here by choice now.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Maybe if Rutgers hires Eddie Jordan, you can sleep at night, Rambone.
If Andrea was looking for her dream house last Tuesday, I have to think
the decision was made earlier than this Monday.
Sunday, she wished my daughter (also named Andrea) a "Happy Birthday, on this beautiful Rhode Island day!"
I'm with TP, that the timing was not what the ESPN stories are saying.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

GansettRam74 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:

Going to be a nice commission for that friend.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Thank you Danny !

Now lets win !!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whatever the timing was, doesn't matter now. The bottom line is, Dan is staying. No need to argue over it. It might come out eventually, or it might not. It's OK.

The reason for my concern, was our past history. I know Thorr and especially Dooley are a different breed, and we have to be thankful for that. It's about time things fell our way for once. It's well deserved.

Now we can move on to the next chapter. Things are never simple in Rhody land, are they?
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

"Once Rutgers joins the B10, and follows through on their own program and facility improvements, they will become a better lure to coaches."

I see this quote often, and I don't know if this is true. They have been in the best basketball conference in the country for the past 19 years, and never once made the NCAAs. The Big East got between 6-11 schools in the tourney every year that Rutgers was there, and Rutgers is in the best basketball recruiting area in the country, and they still failed.

Even if URI is not Hurley's career destination, he is better off here than at Rutgers.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bigsnoop (like the name, BTW), welcome to the board. I agree with your take. I think Rutgers has had plenty of time to emerge as a basketball school. I don't see it as likely.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rambone 78 wrote:RiFan, you know me, I'm the Debbie Downer of this board...but after all that has happened, I would NOW be very surprised if Dan did a 360 and left, no matter if Rutgers does up their offer.

He's made a commitment to URI. They have made a commitment to him. He's going to stick to it. All this had to be done, to finally put this stuff to rest for at least another year.

One thing you can be sure of. Rutgers might not have gotten him now, but in a couple years, if their new coach doesn't pan out...they will be after him again...with an offer that might be too good to refuse, especially if the school gets it's act together, which they will in time.

By then, URI's BB program might be self-sustaining on a much higher level, so the loss of Hurley won't be the disaster it would have been, if he had left now.
Holy s@!/. A 360 means you are back were you started. It's 180 man!!!
'No Mercy.'
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Just saw this on the ESPN "bottom line" pretty sweet.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

nbc10 sports guy sounds so shocked he's staying at uri
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Pauly D. just turned down Rutgers. "The Situation" is next on their list.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is scary, it was reported here last Saturday he was staying then we find out he mulled the offer from Monday to Wednesday

Oh well at least it worked out in the end
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Rambone, I like you, but you sound like Cordischi, "See I was right!" baloney.
Guess my NJ emailers were onto something. Hmm? I was less than courteous to them.
Ooops!
So, with no AD, they managed to get Hurley thinking about Rutgers' job.
Good thing Dooley, Thorr and company stepped up.
I think whatever went on with Rutgers was this past Friday, and perhaps before.
I think the idea of doing a rebuilding stint from ground zero was the deciding factor.
In any case, all's well that ends well!
Well some of the stuff that they said to you was BS. He wasn't trying to bully his way to the job using his family name and he wasn't going to use his wife as an excuse.

Clearly he wanted to stay at URI and he listened to Rutgers because it's impossible not to listen to your home state's university playing in maybe the best basketball conference in the country.

And the thing that says a lot about Hurley is, despite the offer being $1 million a year, he didn't get any more money out of URI for himself but instead got money for his assistant coaches and made the experience of playing at URI a better one for his players with the travel changes.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The thing about what Hurley got from URI is that, assuming he is here long enough for the changes to be implemented, the improvements will be permanent even if his tenure ultimately isn't. Once you go to chartered flights and higher salaries, it is difficult to back away from. Any facility improvements will obviously be permanent. This will help keep the job attractive in the long run. It's a great thing for URI fans.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hopefully many of you who are season tix holders can thank Dan for his commitment to Rhody in person at an end-of-season event sometime in May. Details not finalized, but they'd like to get something set up to let us all get to meet Dan if we haven't already had the pleasure of doing so.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Dan needs to go buy a nice house on the beach in Westerly. Then he'd never leave..best place in the world. Plus that's where all the New Yorkers live it will be like home. East Greenwich is over rated.

I really appreciate what he did here. It shows a lot of character...even more excited for the future!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

So the rumor that Hurley was looking for a house across from McCoy Stadium isn't true?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As long as there are no more hurricanes. Narragansett is the best place for the Hurleys. Great location, short commute to work.

Mrs. Hurley isn't currently looking at Westerly or Pawtucket. Why would they want to live that far away? Pawtucket that is.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:As long as there are no more hurricanes. Narragansett is the best place for the Hurleys. Great location, short commute to work.

Mrs. Hurley isn't currently looking at Westerly or Pawtucket. Why would they want to live that far away? Pawtucket that is.
You couldn't see the sarcasm in my post? Did I have to write Central Falls for you to get it?
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Rutgers was never considered and Seton Hall never will be. If he ever leaves for one of these two train wrecks, I will shave both my eyebrows and send them to you. This board knows more than ESPN.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:The thing about what Hurley got from URI is that, assuming he is here long enough for the changes to be implemented, the improvements will be permanent even if his tenure ultimately isn't. Once you go to chartered flights and higher salaries, it is difficult to back away from. Any facility improvements will obviously be permanent. This will help keep the job attractive in the long run. It's a great thing for URI fans.
This is exactly right, TP. These are changes that SHOULD live well past Hurley's departure.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »