1/2 American International College | 2:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/2 American International College | 2:30pm

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like most of us missed an absolute snooze fest

I totally expect a loss at GMU who hung with Kansas the other day
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago We are clearly years away from another NCAAT.
……..yes, yes many years away………what troubles me most is that I have lost the positive thoughts I tried to generate going into the season……..why is that?……..I see no real improvement in DC being able to get us on the right track, the 9-3 recorded is misleading, behind the record there could be stats people could point to as improvements, fine. My issue is more big picture focus, the program appears to adrift, lost its way, has no buzz locally, no interest by the casual fan, etc…….evidence is empty seats and a general malaise in the fan base…….that for Thor has got to be his biggest concern, the flagship athletic program adrift at sea floating around, no signature identifiers of what
Rhody basketball is anymore……..no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Probably the worst 9-3 team in the country. But don’t fret, they will soon be 9-5 so fasten your seatbelt, the ride is about to get bumpy.
Our best win is beating KenPom #141 Boston College by six at a neutral site four days after beating them at home. That 9-3 record couldn't be more padded
I agree completely - however there are always teams with no good wins out of conference that come in and play well. Fingers crossed that is us. That is all we can hope for at this point.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
……..yes, yes many years away………what troubles me most is that I have lost the positive thoughts I tried to generate going into the season……..why is that?……..I see no real improvement in DC being able to get us on the right track, the 9-3 recorded is misleading, behind the record there could be stats people could point to as improvements, fine. My issue is more big picture focus, the program appears to adrift, lost its way, has no buzz locally, no interest by the casual fan, etc…….evidence is empty seats and a general malaise in the fan base…….that for Thor has got to be his biggest concern, the flagship athletic program adrift at sea floating around, no signature identifiers of what
The Crona - and the way it's been handled - has been a real momentum (and buzz) killer....
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I just read a great article about Paolo Banchero, Duke frosh phenom and possible #1 pick in the draft. His mom is a former WNBA player and all-time leading scorer at U Washington. Even though top college programs tried to recruit him as a high school sophomore she pushed him so relentlessly he asked her to stop going to his games for a while. He picked Duke because as his father put it, Coach K would "punch him in the mouth." He's the top prospect in the country and he and his family aren't satisfied or complacent. Do you think we'll ever have a player - or coach - who thinks that way?
So URI has never had a kid work as hard or put in the time like Banchero? Ever? All URI players have been complacent and satisfied. You know this for a fact. Garrick, Mike Andersen, Haasan, etc. You've told those guys that I assume?
Yup. It's a fact! EVER!! Come on man. This is getting old... Once again, you're missing the point.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago I just read a great article about Paolo Banchero, Duke frosh phenom and possible #1 pick in the draft. His mom is a former WNBA player and all-time leading scorer at U Washington. Even though top college programs tried to recruit him as a high school sophomore she pushed him so relentlessly he asked her to stop going to his games for a while. He picked Duke because as his father put it, Coach K would "punch him in the mouth." He's the top prospect in the country and he and his family aren't satisfied or complacent. Do you think we'll ever have a player - or coach - who thinks that way?
So URI has never had a kid work as hard or put in the time like Banchero? Ever? All URI players have been complacent and satisfied. You know this for a fact. Garrick, Mike Andersen, Haasan, etc. You've told those guys that I assume?
Yup. It's a fact! EVER!! Come on man. This is getting old... Once again, you're missing the point.
The point is people just throw crap against the wall and see what sticks...without any regard of the veracity and truthfulness of their statement. And they make these statements (in this case, a rhetorical question) as facts when in reality they're not. They're opinions dripping with hyperbole and exaggeration.

So to answer his non-sensical question. Ever? YES, I think will have and has already had players who weren't satisfied nor complacent. And I think Duke has had some players who were prima donnas and and didn't put the work in to be their best.

So what's YOUR point?
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Probably the worst 9-3 team in the country. But don’t fret, they will soon be 9-5 so fasten your seatbelt, the ride is about to get bumpy.
Our best win is beating KenPom #141 Boston College by six at a neutral site four days after beating them at home. That 9-3 record couldn't be more padded
I agree completely - however there are always teams with no good wins out of conference that come in and play well. Fingers crossed that is us. That is all we can hope for at this point.
Have you been watching the games?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
I agree. Every time the season is over I always am counting down to when they start practicing in the fall. This season is so lackluster it's difficult for me to get excited about it. It feels like a 3-9 record. I agree with you fully that there's no local excitement. It feels like it's easier to just stay home. Certainly with the students not back for who knows how long if they have to do remote?
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Official attendance 3,662 lol
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Official attendance 3,662 lol
Ryan Center math strangely resembles Covid math.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago Official attendance 3,662 lol
Ryan Center math strangely resembles Covid math.
Add a random 3 in front of the 6
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They are only fooling themselves with those numbers.

Thorr sees the revenue reports, he knows what's up.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago They are only fooling themselves with those numbers.

…….other numbers we are fooling ourselves is……..9-3…….going against my fav line from Coach Parcells……we are not what our record says we are…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago They are only fooling themselves with those numbers.

I don't get your point here. The 3662 number is obviously the paid number and not the turnstyle count. I for one was not able to use my tickets, but they were paid for. Yes, it's important to have a good enthusiastic crowd to support the Rams, but the program is supported by game revenue which they would have lost if the game was not played. The 3662 was less than the average of previous games because of no students, short notice and the lack of appeal of the opponent, a non D-I team, and the recent surge in Covid cases. These two latter factors destroyed any prospect for the important single game purchase and walk up crowd.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Someone post a pic from inside the Ryan.
View of Section 205 in 2nd half

My guess is 1000 total

CD8638BF-8F2B-44CD-A926-0A68731173AC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

My guess is 1000 total

Atmosphere looks electric.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notes on the game:
  • Glad to have gone to the game. Had my first beer ever in my seat in the Ryan Center. Very small chance of Covid with excellent spacing between fans :roll: Got to see several players who don't normally play so many minutes with Walker out and a relatively easy opponent
  • Makhi Mitchell played well with 7-8 FG, 8 rebounds and 19 points in 28 minutes and amazingly only 1 foul.
  • Malik Martin was a workhorse as usual playing tough defense, 11 rebounds, 9 points and 2 blocks
  • Impressive play by Ishmael El-Amin as he hit 4-5 3FGs raising his YTD 3P shooting performance to 16-34 for 47%. Good to see him more aggressive in taking 3P's
  • Sebastian Thomas came in for Jeremy Sheppard just 4 minutes into the game. Thomas played well contributing 5 assists against only 1 TO and excellent defense. It looked to me like he was favoring his leg during the 2nd half, came out of the game, returned and still looked like his leg was giving him trouble. I guess he was ok since Cox put him back in and I didn't see Thomas wanting to come out, but still looked a bit hampered to me.
  • Tres Berry got 12 minutes and hit 3-5 shots including 1-3 on 3Ps. His missed 3P's looked to be on target, but just missed. Tres also got 3 rebounds and looked good on the floor.
  • Sheppard played 28 minutes, hit only 1-7 FGs including 0-4 on 3Ps. 2 assists, 2 TOs and 2 points.
  • Team needed this run considering 4 previously postponed games
  • Most everyone kept their masks on as is the norm at the Ryan Center
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago

I don't get your point here. The 3662 number is obviously the paid number and not the turnstyle count. I for one was not able to use my tickets, but they were paid for. Yes, it's important to have a good enthusiastic crowd to support the Rams, but the program is supported by game revenue which they would have lost if the game was not played. The 3662 was less than the average of previous games because of no students, short notice and the lack of appeal of the opponent, a non D-I team, and the recent surge in Covid cases. These two latter factors destroyed any prospect for the important single game purchase and walk up crowd.
It's distributed tickets. not sold tickets. Comps (school admin/ath. dept, media, sponsors), free student tickets, and package/promo deals in there.
:lol:
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

It's distributed tickets. not sold tickets. Comps (school admin/ath. dept, media, sponsors), free student tickets, and package/promo deals in there.
Yes, you are right the more precise term is distributed tickets, but in the case of this game the 3662 figure was closer to paid tickets, since the student crowd was non existent and the comp crowd was also low due to short notice and the opponent. Besides the comp crowd is never that large even under the best conditions. The basic difference between the 3662 and the turnstyle crowd is the no shows in the season tickets holders like me. I paid $112 and didn't go. I wasn't there to add electricity to the crowd, but I did add revenue and that cannot be dismissed as irrelevant which ultimately was my point in responding to rambone. Also, the major revenue loss with the AIC game is mostly related to a very small walk-up crowd and advance single game ticket purchases.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yes, you are right the more precise term is distributed tickets, but in the case of this game the 3662 figure was closer to paid tickets, since the student crowd was non existent and the comp crowd was also low due to short notice and the opponent. Besides the comp crowd is never that large even under the best conditions. The basic difference between the 3662 and the turnstyle crowd is the no shows in the season tickets holders like me. I paid $112 and didn't go. I wasn't there to add electricity to the crowd, but I did add revenue and that cannot be dismissed as irrelevant which ultimately was my point in responding to rambone. Also, the major revenue loss with the AIC game is mostly related to a very small walk-up crowd and advance single game ticket purchases.
There's also got to be a significant difference in the revenue of 'reported' 3662...vs having 3662 live bodies in the building, buying stuff...
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I'm willing to bet of the 3662 figure in this case, close to 800 of that 3662 were $0 and out in the hands of someone. whether they showed up or not is a different story.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I'm willing to bet of the 3662 figure in this case, close to 800 of that 3662 were $0 and out in the hands of someone. whether they showed up or not is a different story.
Let me clarify my position before i take you up on your bet. First, I breakdown URI game attendance down into three categories; the paying crowd, students and the comp crowd. Yes, students get in "free", but that can be disputed since they do pay a fee every semester, so I do not include them in my definition of comp tickets. Also, I don't understand your mentioning package and prom deals in the comp category since while they may involve discounted prices they are not free. For example, when an elementary school brings a group as the Matunuck Elementary School did at the AIC game, those are not free tickets. There is a discounted price for any group agreeing to buy at least 15 tickets. Media do not get tickets, they get a press pass and this small number is not in the announced attendance, The major comp tickets group is players and staff, but that number doesn't exceed 100. And they often do not use 100% of their allotment and that would be especially true for AIC.

A further perspective of your claim of 800 free tickets at AIC game. If true that means 20% of the actual crowd got in free or over 10% of Ryan's capacity. No financially prudent MBB program at any top school would allow that. All programs minimize the distribution of free tickets because when a person doesn't have the financial commitment, they treat the gift in a cavalier fashion. That has been also my personal experience when I first gave away my season tickets. Summarizing i don't agree that 800 people got free tickets under my definition of comp tickets and I also don't agree if you include the students in that number. OK, so let's bet and you can define the parameters of the bet.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Let me clarify my position before i take you up on your bet. First, I breakdown URI game attendance down into three categories; the paying crowd, students and the comp crowd. Yes, students get in "free", but that can be disputed since they do pay a fee every semester, so I do not include them in my definition of comp tickets. Also, I don't understand your mentioning package and prom deals in the comp category since while they may involve discounted prices they are not free. For example, when an elementary school brings a group as the Matunuck Elementary School did at the AIC game, those are not free tickets. There is a discounted price for any group agreeing to buy at least 15 tickets. Media do not get tickets, they get a press pass and this small number is not in the announced attendance, The major comp tickets group is players and staff, but that number doesn't exceed 100. And they often do not use 100% of their allotment and that would be especially true for AIC.

A further perspective of your claim of 800 free tickets at AIC game. If true that means 20% of the actual crowd got in free or over 10% of Ryan's capacity. No financially prudent MBB program at any top school would allow that. All programs minimize the distribution of free tickets because when a person doesn't have the financial commitment, they treat the gift in a cavalier fashion. That has been also my personal experience when I first gave away my season tickets. Summarizing i don't agree that 800 people got free tickets under my definition of comp tickets and I also don't agree if you include the students in that number. OK, so let's bet and you can define the parameters of the bet.
good thing you're not keeping their books. don't mix $ with tickets distributed. apples / oranges.

in this case, the 3662 figure is not based on AIC, it's based on the original opponent. tickets are not redistributed because the opponent changed or a game is postponed. original tickets are accepted at the gate for the event regardless of opponent or makeup date.

media outlets most certainly do get comps. I'm not talking writers or reporters. I'm talking other employees at say, HJY, 'Gansett Times, WJAR, B101, Newport Buzz, ect.

if a student tickets leaves the box office, it's a 'free ticket'. A student may pay a fee in their tuition but that is not included in the game day financials. it shows up as $0.

sponsorship packages most certainly do include free tickets. sometimes even free seasons. the invoice will say -
season signage - $x
T shirt night on date here - $x
ad on video board 3x game - $x
tickets for x game $0

ticket inventory cost $0. of course any prudent organization wants to minimize the amount of give away tickets. Sponsorships, signage, ads, in game games, in game promos all have a quantifiable price for inventory.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Since I worked at the Independent, I can confirm that they would send some freebies at the ads department back in the day - not sure if they still do. However, it would be at the quantity of like, 10 to 15 free tickets a year. Even if you counted that up across all of the media outlets, I doubt it's a substantial number from game to game.

That being said... It's not like there are multiple, competing attendance numbers for each game. Your choice seems to be to use the one provided by the box office, or, to not bother.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

good thing you're not keeping their books. don't mix $ with tickets distributed. apples / oranges.

in this case, the 3662 figure is not based on AIC, it's based on the original opponent. tickets are not redistributed because the opponent changed or a game is postponed. original tickets are accepted at the gate for the event regardless of opponent or makeup date.

media outlets most certainly do get comps. I'm not talking writers or reporters. I'm talking other employees at say, HJY, 'Gansett Times, WJAR, B101, Newport Buzz, ect.

if a student tickets leaves the box office, it's a 'free ticket'. A student may pay a fee in their tuition but that is not included in the game day financials. it shows up as $0.

sponsorship packages most certainly do include free tickets. sometimes even free seasons. the invoice will say -
season signage - $x
tickets for x game $0

ticket inventory cost $0. of course any prudent organization wants to minimize the amount of give away tickets. Sponsorships, signage, ads, in game games, in game promos all have a quantifiable price for inventory.
Much of what you say I agree with, but I am puzzled by your answering responses that I did not pose. So let me try in a simpler way.

1. While the gate may be based on the original Sunday opponent, the 3662 number and the turnstyle count (fannies in seats) were affected by both AIC and Covid. The evidence here is the size of the walk-up crowd which was very low by previous experience.

2. I didn't dismiss media and their employees or sponsors. My point is the number of comp tickets here is not sizable. The biggest comp ticket segment is the MBB staff and the players. They are allowed 4 per game and that comes to less than a hundred max. For unattractive games , e.g. AIC, many go unused.

3. I understand the impact of student presence. Their attendance is in the 3662 figure, but not in the paying amount. The student turnout in intersession games is always lower than games when school is is session. For the AIC game it was among the lowest ever recorded.

4. For AIC, you say 800 was comp tickets. My view is that it was 150-200, and if students are included in your comp definition then my guess increases to 300-400.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Sets of free season tickets are given out to people. The URI Athletic Dept, past and present, is a family.
NCAAs or Bust!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

season signage - $x
tickets for x game $0

Much of what you say I agree with, but I am puzzled by your answering responses that I did not pose. So let me try in a simpler way.

1. While the gate may be based on the original Sunday opponent, the 3662 number and the turnstyle count (fannies in seats) were affected by both AIC and Covid. The evidence here is the size of the walk-up crowd which was very low by previous experience.

2. I didn't dismiss media and their employees or sponsors. My point is the number of comp tickets here is not sizable. The biggest comp ticket segment is the MBB staff and the players. They are allowed 4 per game and that comes to less than a hundred max. For unattractive games , e.g. AIC, many go unused.

3. I understand the impact of student presence. Their attendance is in the 3662 figure, but not in the paying amount. The student turnout in intersession games is always lower than games when school is is session. For the AIC game it was among the lowest ever recorded.

4. For AIC, you say 800 was comp tickets. My view is that it was 150-200, and if students are included in your comp definition then my guess increases to 300-400.
no. you're continuing to mix things that shouldn't be mixed. its OK.

you don't count turn style. never ever ever at any event, sport, concert is turn style announced. it's always total tickets distributed. internally turn style is certainly tracked and recorded.

#1, the 3662 was not effected by covid. the 3662 are tickets in hand by someone, somewhere. what they did with them or who showed is not what we're talking. the remaining ticket inventory (unused tickets) is effect by covid, opponent, weather (if applicable), and a current lackluster MBB team.

#2, you're underestimating the size of 'staff'. other programs in the athletic dept are getting tickets, for free. or comps if you will. I've been on the receiving end of them. MBB tickets, this year and in years past, given to me by staff of other URI varsity programs. I certainly can't be the only one, I'm no one special.

#3, doesn't matter. a free student ticket is a free student ticket. $0 paid. free. not a comp by definition but counted as $0 in a different column on the spreadsheet. no ticket revenue gained on that ticket distributed.

#4, not for AIC, but for the 3662 announced attendance figure (opponent is irrelevant in this situation) I said I'm guessing upwards of 800 total tickets were $0 and/or comps. that leaves 2862 paid in some way, shape or form. and 4200ish? left in the bank unused.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I do not understand your anger here. Why the snide comments?

#1 Covid did have an influence on the AIC because it affected the walk up crowd which generally brings in amounts of $5000 - $15,000 per game. Again, the AIC walk up crowd was one of the lowest in history. And it wasn't only their D-II status. Before the Brown cancellation I had tried to give my Brown season tickets to some Brown friends of mine and both declined because of Covid. On a per capita basis, Rhode Island ranks #1 in the nation on all time Covid cases and is #3 for cases over the last seven days. The State matches Florida on the number of people lost to the virus. Why don't you tell the box office that Covid is having no impact.

#2 First of all, I am a season ticket holder and I do not accept free tickets. In that position I know much about the finances of the program and I know that MBB gets the largest number of the comp tickets.

#3 You again misunderstand. Yes, the student doesn't matter when you are talking paid attendance, but I was talking about the 3662 number. If they had been there in numbers like the BU game, the 3662 would be 4862. They were not and that was my point. Why did AIC draw the lowest student attendance in years??

#4 If there were 800 comp tickets in an announced crowd of 3662, that means URI gave away upwards of $20,000. Free tickets to that level would be financially irresponsible.

The reason I brought this subject up in first place is because URI supporters should understand all the financial aspects of the MBB program and the role game revenue plays in it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Lots of talk about tickets but 3,600 sounds about right for the number of season tix holders. So tix sold.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago I do not understand your anger here. Why the snide comments?

#1 Covid did have an influence on the AIC because it affected the walk up crowd which generally brings in amounts of $5000 - $15,000 per game. Again, the AIC walk up crowd was one of the lowest in history. And it wasn't only their D-II status. Before the Brown cancellation I had tried to give my Brown season tickets to some Brown friends of mine and both declined because of Covid. On a per capita basis, Rhode Island ranks #1 in the nation on all time Covid cases and is #3 for cases over the last seven days. The State matches Florida on the number of people lost to the virus. Why don't you tell the box office that Covid is having no impact.

#2 First of all, I am a season ticket holder and I do not accept free tickets. In that position I know much about the finances of the program and I know that MBB gets the largest number of the comp tickets.

#3 You again misunderstand. Yes, the student doesn't matter when you are talking paid attendance, but I was talking about the 3662 number. If they had been there in numbers like the BU game, the 3662 would be 4862. They were not and that was my point. Why did AIC draw the lowest student attendance in years??

#4 If there were 800 comp tickets in an announced crowd of 3662, that means URI gave away upwards of $20,000. Free tickets to that level would be financially irresponsible.

The reason I brought this subject up in first place is because URI supporters should understand all the financial aspects of the MBB program and the role game revenue plays in it.

Im not angry, I thought we were just having a discussion. You talk, i talk, you talk, i talk, like adults.

I know a bit how athletic departments work and the sports industry goes. Ive been around the block a time or two. But whatever, we disagree and move on.

A beer on me.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Holy shit I've seen shorter comments on the Zapruder Film fan forum.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

My guess is 1000 total

That's sad. That's typically what a good 20 minutes before tipoff looks like when people are just congregating to their seats.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

My guess is 1000 total

That's sad. That's typically what a good 20 minutes before tipoff looks like when people are just congregating to their seats.
Yes. And if you think that is sad, I should have taken a picture “a good 20 minutes before tipoff”. It was about 20% of the quantity of people you see in the picture, if that.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

My guess is 1000 total

Yes. And if you think that is sad, I should have taken a picture “a good 20 minutes before tipoff”. It was about 20% of the quantity of people you see in the picture, if that.
So now it will be interesting to see if next Wednesdays game with St Joe’s happens.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So now it will be interesting to see if next Wednesdays game with St Joe’s happens.
As I walked to the Ryan Center on Sunday, I thought about all the discussions that have been had here in the past, and some just in the past month or so, about how URI should charge for parking to raise money.

Here’s the Ryan Center with enough people in their seats when the National Anthem is sung (quite beautifully I might add at the AIC game) that I can count them individually before the Anthem is finished. Imagine charging for parking?

All Seats were $10 and this included seats in 205, 211, 212, 104……..you get it. This was not pre-announced to my knowledge but good for URI ticketing to try to fill in close to the court and get loyal attendees close to the action.

I’m reading about how my thinking there were 800 at the game is not relevant because the announced attendance was 3600. 800 are comp. As a fan to me the 800 is the number I care about. Those “missing” 2800 were not going to pay to park. Or clap for the team. Or boo the team. Or buy beer and bring it to their seats - that was fun to say!!! Or buy URI attire in the gift shop. Quality of the opponent, Patriots game on TV, team record, school being out, weather…….. all reasons to not attend but a crowd like Sunday was disappointing to me and I’m sure to the players and coaches. The 3600 means little to them - just a number in a post game box score.

Kudos to those who showed up.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago I do not understand your anger here. Why the snide comments?

Im not angry, I thought we were just having a discussion. You talk, i talk, you talk, i talk, like adults.

I know a bit how athletic departments work and the sports industry goes. Ive been around the block a time or two. But whatever, we disagree and move on.

A beer on me.
No problem. Understood.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

As I walked to the Ryan Center on Sunday, I thought about all the discussions that have been had here in the past, and some just in the past month or so, about how URI should charge for parking to raise money.

Here’s the Ryan Center with enough people in their seats when the National Anthem is sung (quite beautifully I might add at the AIC game) that I can count them individually before the Anthem is finished. Imagine charging for parking?

All Seats were $10 and this included seats in 205, 211, 212, 104……..you get it. This was not pre-announced to my knowledge but good for URI ticketing to try to fill in close to the court and get loyal attendees close to the action.

I’m reading about how my thinking there were 800 at the game is not relevant because the announced attendance was 3600. 800 are comp. As a fan to me the 800 is the number I care about. Those “missing” 2800 were not going to pay to park. Or clap for the team. Or boo the team. Or buy beer and bring it to their seats - that was fun to say!!! Or buy URI attire in the gift shop. Quality of the opponent, Patriots game on TV, team record, school being out, weather…….. all reasons to not attend but a crowd like Sunday was disappointing to me and I’m sure to the players and coaches. The 3600 means little to them - just a number in a post game box score.

Agreed!

My schedule this year hasn't provided me with many opportunities to attend games, and then with a lot of these additional games getting canceled, etc., etc.

I must say, we have had some absolutely incredible talent sing the National Anthem at the RC. I know not everyone can get to the game for tipoff, BUT I make it a point to be in a seat for the Anthem. To me, it's important.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed!

My schedule this year hasn't provided me with many opportunities to attend games, and then with a lot of these additional games getting canceled, etc., etc.

I must say, we have had some absolutely incredible talent sing the National Anthem at the RC. I know not everyone can get to the game for tipoff, BUT I make it a point to be in a seat for the Anthem. To me, it's important.
Absolutely,
URI does a tremendous job with the National Anthem with the entire presentation.

Not sure what you think of this but I have my own thoughts.....

Boston University Game (MBB) Nov 9 - 3 BU players kneeled for the National Anthem
Bryant Game (MBB) Nov 12 - 1 Bryant player kneeled
Hartford Game (WBB) Dec 8 - 7 Hartford WBB players kneeled

The Nov 9 and Nov 12 games were right around Nov 11 - Veterans Day and URI did an outstanding Anthem presentation for both of those games. Very moving and respectful.

I have not seen any URI players or players for any other opponents kneel at home or away games (can't speak for the Milwaukee game and I have not seen all of the WBB games)

Having had family members in WW1 and WW2, including being injured or loss of life, it's hard for me to watch anything that takes anything away from the Anthem Ceremony itself. Includes people wearing hats, people talking during the anthem, kneeling, etc. I understand the reason for the kneeling protest, just wish there was another way to get the message across.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
Two posts were deleted for straying off topic into politics. Thank you to the member who used the report post feature to bring these to our attention.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Agreed!

Absolutely,
URI does a tremendous job with the National Anthem with the entire presentation.

Not sure what you think of this but I have my own thoughts.....

Boston University Game (MBB) Nov 9 - 3 BU players kneeled for the National Anthem
Bryant Game (MBB) Nov 12 - 1 Bryant player kneeled
Hartford Game (WBB) Dec 8 - 7 Hartford WBB players kneeled

The Nov 9 and Nov 12 games were right around Nov 11 - Veterans Day and URI did an outstanding Anthem presentation for both of those games. Very moving and respectful.

I have not seen any URI players or players for any other opponents kneel at home or away games (can't speak for the Milwaukee game and I have not seen all of the WBB games)

Having had family members in WW1 and WW2, including being injured or loss of life, it's hard for me to watch anything that takes anything away from the Anthem Ceremony itself. Includes people wearing hats, people talking during the anthem, kneeling, etc. I understand the reason for the kneeling protest, just wish there was another way to get the message across.
Since your post seems political in nature, not sure how it still stands. As an Army vet, who swore an oath to defend this country from enemy's both foreign and domestic, I find kneeling for the National Anthem highly offensive. But hey, it's a free country. So people are free to do what they want.