David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We had better keep Leggett.

Highest BB IQ on the team.

Absolutely essential if we want to be good next season.

We have to have a PG who can run a half court offense.

As we know, that's hard to find around here.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We had better keep Leggett.

Highest BB IQ on the team.

Absolutely essential if we want to be good next season.

We have to have a PG who can run a half court offense.

As we know, that's hard to find around here.
Absolutely, he would be one of the cornerstones of this team for the future. He has such excellent instincts that you just can't teach, I love his all round solid play.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ish looks like the second coming of Jeff Dowtin. Ironically, Jeff moved into the starting line-up around this time of his freshman year, and I believe both come from the same high school. I would like to see Ish, Fatts and Allen in a rotation at the guards. Antwan, Malik and DJ in a rotation at the forwards; and, Makhel and Jermaine playing in the middle. Carey and Sheppard need to establish a role for themselves where they can make a positive contribution and be ready in case of injury.

As for Cox, I'll be more impressed with how well he develops the young talent on the roster than their W/L record. This is not an NCAAT team this year, but there is great promise for the future.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.........aaaaaaahhhhhhh.......the future........again.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree with both 72 and 77.

We need to see substantial improvement this year though.....from both players and the coaches.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nah I’m not ready to toss the towel in on this group yet tho there’s been quite a bit not to like.

Maybe our Negative Nancies and Bummer Bob’s will win again...

I’m feeling pretty blessed to even have Ram hoops on TV and appreciate the team’s efforts to entertain us.

Happy New Year all!!

Let’s Go Rhody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Nah I’m not ready to toss the towel in on this group yet tho there’s been quite a bit not to like.

Maybe our Negative Nancies and Bummer Bob’s will win again...

I’m feeling pretty blessed to even have Ram hoops on TV and appreciate the team’s efforts to entertain us.

Happy New Year all!!

Let’s Go Rhody

That’s the biggest thing I’ve thought all year, we’re very lucky to have played all our games on our schedule. No cases for us and no cases for our opponents.

Don’t know how long that’ll last, but we’ve been extremely fortunate up to this point.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes that’s true hopefully the Covid cases stay away from our program
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

After an 11 game lay off and a 3 game losing streak, any opinions on how Cox may change things up for tomorrows game against the Bonnies?
I think he still starts: Fatts, Jeremy, Malik, Antwan, and Mikhel.
AB has only logged 12 minutes to date, so still see him coming off the bench along with Ish and Jalen at the guard spot.
However because of the depth at this position, Cox will be quick to pull the trigger, if they aren't getting it done.
DJ and Jermaine will continue to provide back up help in the front court, and both are capable of meaningful minutes.
I still think Cox will still use a 10 man rotation because at any time all these players can significantly contribute, and we continually find ourselves in foul difficulty.
I actually think when Cox said he may shorten the rotation that was more of motivational ploy to wake some guys up. IMO
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........hopefully his shorten the rotation comments and wake up ploy involves a turn to much tougher defense........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Sloppy ball-handling, poor defense, poor shot selection, bad passing are good reasons for a quick trigger. But, at this point in the season, it should be obvious to Cox whom to sit and whom to play. Until Sheppard shows something in limited game time going forward, I don't see why he is starting over Leggett. Sheppard has had plenty of time to shine.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Sloppy ball-handling, poor defense, poor shot selection, bad passing are good reasons for a quick trigger. But, at this point in the season, it should be obvious to Cox whom to sit and whom to play. Until Sheppard shows something in limited game time going forward, I don't see why he is starting over Leggett. Sheppard has had plenty of time to shine.
Sheppard did shine extensively prior to the last two games.

Played very well against South Florida.

He was the reason we didn't get our doors blown off by AZ State.

He made big clutch plays against Seton Hall.

Was the reason we were able to come back to within 10 of Wisconsin.

But if he continues to struggle he needs minutes reduced. He at the very least should be taking and making some threes for us every game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sheppard has the most guard oriented skills on the team in my opinion, but becomes careless (I guess). Same for Carey, who has been called " the most obvious p5 type of player" on this team, then he forgot how to dribble. Unexplainable issues really because we all know they are very talented. No excuses anymore.
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This season Cox is faced with his biggest test as coach, especially as an in-game tactician, his role in player development, and how he juggles his multi talented player base. We now hear that Cox is considering shortening the rotation.

This approach is in contrast, to Ric Pitino who relishes in having a ten-man rotation because he believes in using bench depth to avoid tiredness near game's end when shooting, especially FT, is so critical. Pitino at Iona is regularly using a 10-man rotation, but he is the first to admit that his current bench is not what it needs to be and his incoming recruits for next season are chosen to help that. Despite some hiccups, Pitino's Iona team is doing well, remember they beat Hofstra on its own court, a feat that top ranked A-10 Richmond could not accomplish despite home court advantage.

It's been my experience that the most creative types of people - in business, sports, the arts, etc. - revel in complexity and avoid simple minded approaches. How Cox handles his rotation this season will tell much about his skills as a coach. So far the results have been underwhelming.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think Sheppard will improve when Russell decides he’s worthy of receiving a pass. Sheppard also needs to be much more aggressive in looking for screens.

Obadiah’s assessment above is pretty spot on. Slick Rick with our roster? Sky could be the limit. I am really looking forward to watching Cox manage this group and seeing if he grows as a coach. I’ve said many times on the forums before URI has always (at least in the 50+ Years I’ve been watching) relied on the best talent available vs the recruit to a system approach - ex Davidson. Elite programs like Wooden at UCLA can have it both ways of course. Other than the Frank Keaney era which I missed that hasn’t been us. We were on our way with Harrick who was committed to the UCLA high post offense but that ship sailed.

It looked like Cox was starting to build a similar system at times last year but once again he had to refill the roster frantically with the best talent available and during a pandemic as well.

Tough task but talent should prevail with good coaching.

We will have another good test tomorrow night!

Let’s Go Rhody.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1. Ish starts over Sheppard. I've already stated 1000 times why I want Ish playing more minutes. It won't be Fatts, so it has to be Sheppard.

2. We start in a 2-3 zone. They are shooting 26% from 3 and have an absolute stud in Osun. Starting in a zone will help us defend the paint, rebound, and hopefully prevent Mitchell from drawing 3 fouls 5 minutes into the game. If we do a good job scouting, we should know who to trap and who the shooters are.

3. Run, Run, Run. Good defense usually leads to good offense. There is no better way for our guys to get out of a slump by scoring some easy baskets and gaining confidence. We need to be smarter on the fast break. Instead of dribbling, let's pass. Instead of indecisiveness, let's find the point guard and fill the lanes. Even if we don't get a basket every time, we can hopefully cause some disorganization to Bonnies defense.

4. Play the hot hand. If Malik Martin goes 4-4, please don't take him out because that was the plan before the game. On the opposite side, if Fatts is 0-7 and Carey has 4 turnovers, and a player like Ish is sitting there wondering what he has to do to earn more minutes take them out!

5. HUSTLE. If we are ice cold, but guys are drawing chargers, contesting shots, winning loose balls, and huddling up, I will be the first to say I see an improvement from our team. This team should be angry after recent results.

Go Rhody!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sometimes coaches instill confidence in their players (i.e Harrick, Pitino), Sometimes they don't.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Sometimes coaches instill confidence in their players (i.e Harrick, Pitino), Sometimes they don't.
Don't forget Penders-- great at it!!!!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

St Bon starts 4 guards, of the 8 players who played in the first two games they were 2 6'3'' 2 6'4'' 2 6'5" and Osunni yi at 6'10 and Winston at 6'8" and Winston only played 5 and 13 minutes.

Probably good ball handling and probably good shooting. Let Ossunniyi have his points- he is a good but not a great offensive player--shut the others down and play the players that want to play defense.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago
Slick Rick with our roster? Sky could be the limit.

Tough task but talent should prevail with good coaching.

Let’s Go Rhody.
nutshelling...
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Sheppard leads the team in TOs(22) versus 20 As.
Carey has committed 15 TOs versus 2 As.
These are unacceptable statistics for Guards.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In Game #12 Cox replaced Martin with Betrand in the starting lineup vs VCU
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago In Game #12 Cox replaced Martin with Betrand in the starting lineup vs VCU
And Sheppard is still starting over Ish
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago In Game #12 Cox replaced Martin with Betrand in the starting lineup vs VCU
And he should be. Thank God you do whatever it is for a living...
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

There’s still time to delete this
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Sheppard gives you shooting. He is leading the team in turnovers. In the Dave Cox system either of your guards can key the offense and bring up the ball. The only other player on your roster who has a point guard skill set is Ish.

Sheppard is the perfect spark plug player to bring in.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

F’ing clueless. Just shutup.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sheppard gives you shooting. He is leading the team in turnovers. In the Dave Cox system either of your guards can key the offense and bring up the ball. The only other player on your roster who has a point guard skill set is Ish.

Sheppard is the best player on the floor today.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Absolute fact. Been a pleasant surprise and closer to who we thought we had.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Absolute fact. Been a pleasant surprise and closer to who we thought we had.
This is why I respect Blueman. Unlike the Cox can do no wrong people on here, Blueman admits when he was wrong about a statement or post.

Shep was awesome today!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the switch of AB into the lineup and Malik played 28 minutes off bench

Get Ish minutes closer to 20 and Carey closer to 10

I am not impressed with Carey at all , are we stuck with him ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not a bad read below:

"Why it pays to have patience with college basketball coaches"
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ll-coaches
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Not a bad read below:

Great point, we (most of us) were pretty patient with Hurley and it was well worth it. Cox could be the guy, we'll see after March.
GO RAMS
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

What's everyone's thoughts on Legget's Playing time, personally i think Legget should be getting at least 25 minutes every game, kid is so talented, reminds me of JD
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago What's everyone's thoughts on Legget's Playing time, personally i think Legget should be getting at least 25 minutes every game, kid is so talented, reminds me of JD
He is, but a lot depends upon the flow of the game and how Fatts, Shep, and AB are contributing. Cox is also going to find some minutes for Carey, I doubt he will be buried on the bench.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Kinda an oversimplification to be honest.

Like no shit, you trust Archie or Shaka - guys who are making multi millions at high level programs because they succeeded with documented results year after year at lower level programs.

But you cannot make a blanket statement like that because every situation is unique.

Like I could write an article with this title: "why it doesn't pay to have patience with college basketball coaches" and the entire article would say "Jim Baron."

Of course we were pretty patient with Hurley because he was given the hardest rebuild in URI history. We also hit little milestones along the way that showed definitive progress. So much of our program was wrong that he literally had to change everything.

There were tangible program enhancements - new weight facility, new locker rooms, Ryan Center scoreboards, tougher schedules, high profile preseason tourneys, more national publicity.

There were on court things like player improvement, improved play, identifiable style of basketball.

There were high ranked recruits, high ranked classes that started to follow.

And of course ranked wins, post season appearances, etc.

I still for the life of me cannot understand why some people either cannot see, or do not choose to see that what Hurley was given when he got here is completely different than what Cox was given when he got here.

Hurley was hired to rebuild. Cox was hired to continue the tradition.

Hurley was given nothing top to bottom, Cox was given a turn-key program with a stocked cupboard of experienced junior leadership, star power, and a top ranked recruiting class.

They have different lengths of leash for that reason.

We do not have a history of Dave's previous coaching stops to lean on and say "he'll get this done" other than a blind faith in the face of a mountain of evidence to the contrary. We haven't beaten a ranked team. We have lost head scratching games. We haven't retained top level talent we've brought in. More games than not we look lost and unprepared.

None of that says we "can't" get it together, and we most definitely could. Make a run in Brooklyn after some improved play down the stretch and all of the noise goes away. But to act like we owe some blind allegiance to trust a process we've never seen, after we just went through a rebuild and saw what led to a programs decline and rise, is a bit much.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago What's everyone's thoughts on Legget's Playing time, personally i think Legget should be getting at least 25 minutes every game, kid is so talented, reminds me of JD
Leggett deserves more minutes but really tough not that Betrand is eligible too.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Like no shit, you trust Archie or Shaka - guys who are making multi millions at high level programs because they succeeded with documented results year after year at lower level programs.

But you cannot make a blanket statement like that because every situation is unique.

Like I could write an article with this title: "why it doesn't pay to have patience with college basketball coaches" and the entire article would say "Jim Baron."

Of course we were pretty patient with Hurley because he was given the hardest rebuild in URI history. We also hit little milestones along the way that showed definitive progress. So much of our program was wrong that he literally had to change everything.

There were tangible program enhancements - new weight facility, new locker rooms, Ryan Center scoreboards, tougher schedules, high profile preseason tourneys, more national publicity.

There were on court things like player improvement, improved play, identifiable style of basketball.

I still for the life of me cannot understand why some people either cannot see, or do not choose to see that what Hurley was given when he got here is completely different than what Cox was given when he got here.

Hurley was given nothing top to bottom, Cox was given a turn-key program with a stocked cupboard of experienced junior leadership, star power, and a top ranked recruiting class.

We do not have a history of Dave's previous coaching stops to lean on and say "he'll get this done" other than a blind faith in the face of a mountain of evidence to the contrary. We haven't beaten a ranked team. We have lost head scratching games. We haven't retained top level talent we've brought in. More games than not we look lost and unprepared.

None of that says we "can't" get it together, and we most definitely could. Make a run in Brooklyn after some improved play down the stretch and all of the noise goes away. But to act like we owe some blind allegiance to trust a process we've never seen, after we just went through a rebuild and saw what led to a programs decline and rise, is a bit much.
I understand that, and this article isn't necessarily a blanket statement/suggestion for all programs.
I think the writer just feels that many programs shouldn't be to quick to pull the trigger.
There is much higher expectations and pressure on these coaches to perform at premier and P5 schools because of all the resources available and salary levels
I don't think were are close to that point yet with Cox
Even though we had success the last couple years with Hurley, when Cox took over this wasn't an NCAAT team that year, regardless of what many on this board felt.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I understand that, and this article isn't necessarily a blanket statement/suggestion for all programs.
I think the writer just feels that many programs shouldn't be to quick to pull the trigger.
There is much higher expectations and pressure on these coaches to perform at premier and P5 schools because of all the resources available and salary levels
Even though we had success the last couple years with Hurley, when Cox took over this wasn't an NCAAT team that year, regardless of what many on this board felt.
Oh yeah agree that many programs shouldn't be quick to pull the trigger, but I think "quick" is the term here.

I think the acceptable coach's term is 5 years without a dance. I can understand people who would say in this case 4 because Cox came from within the system and recruited the guys. I would agree that we aren't at that point with Cox yet, I like DC and I think he very well can be "the guy" here and get things done - but I also think it's fair to bitch and moan when it doesn't seem like we're making progress to that point. This is after all a message board.

For the 2018 season DC took over - do you think if that same team had Hurley as a coach we make it? I do. I think Cox's style took the ball out of Jeff's hands as the primary distributor and it cost us dearly. I think Hurley would've gone dancing the last 2 years.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Leggett deserves more minutes but really tough not that Betrand is eligible too.
Also tough that Cox can't really shelf Carey entirely. As much as Carey has struggled he needs the experience for the next few years. Its not like he hasn't had his moments either. Leggett at least needs around 20 from now on. Especially if the guys ahead of him have off nights. Ish has been getting important minutes down the stretch in most games though, so that should at least keep him hopeful for better minutes in the future which he will undoutably have next year on.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Also tough that Cox can't really shelf Carey entirely. As much as Carey has struggled he needs the experience for the next few years. Its not like he hasn't had his moments either. Leggett at least needs around 20 from now on. Especially if the guys ahead of him have off nights. Ish has been getting important minutes down the stretch in most games though, so that should at least keep him hopeful for better minutes in the future which he will undoutably have next year on.
Exactly. I think unless you’re just “giving up” on Carey it wouldn’t benefit you to completely bury him. Are there some minutes you could shift on the edges toward Leggett? Probably yes. But with Betrand in the starting lineup now and assuming he grows into that role those are minutes that he’ll own (hopefully for our success’ sake)

Will be extremely interesting to see what happens with Fatts/Shep next year as well. If I had to bet Fatts is gone and Shep is back (pure speculation). Ish likely slides into starting lineup and Carey becomes a very crucial piece off the bench for your success. And if Shep doesn’t come back? Wildly even more crucial
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Oh yeah agree that many programs shouldn't be quick to pull the trigger, but I think "quick" is the term here.

I think the acceptable coach's term is 5 years without a dance. I can understand people who would say in this case 4 because Cox came from within the system and recruited the guys. I would agree that we aren't at that point with Cox yet, I like DC and I think he very well can be "the guy" here and get things done - but I also think it's fair to bitch and moan when it doesn't seem like we're making progress to that point. This is after all a message board.

For the 2018 season DC took over - do you think if that same team had Hurley as a coach we make it? I do. I think Cox's style took the ball out of Jeff's hands as the primary distributor and it cost us dearly. I think Hurley would've gone dancing the last 2 years.
Blue Man if Hurley went dancing last year, he would of been the only coach in the country to do it. :D
No way were we going the year before that, huge losses 4 starters (not even including Jarvis) and almost all our scoring. We were a mid pack conference team, but since DH wasn't here let's not keep beating that drum.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Last four games for Carey
26 minutes
23 minutes
14 minutes
14 minutes

Last four games for Ish
15 minutes
12 minutes
16 minutes
11 minutes

I think Carey should stick to 14 minutes a game. Ish should be up around 18-20. Cox needs to find creative ways to get this kid into the game more..
Last edited by steveystuds06 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man if Hurley went dancing last year, he would of been the only coach in the country to do it. :D
No way were we going the year before, huge losses 4 starters and almost all our scoring. We were a mid pack conference team, but since DH wasn't here let's not keep beating that drum.
Lol fair. I meant being in the “lock” category as an at large instead of outside looking in when the season was paused.

I was merely offering up the comparison to your point about them not being a tournament team in 2019. That team had the talent to dance. Not to go far but definitely to avoid the awful skid we went on that cost us any chance of a post season.

No matter what we lost, you still returned a point guard as experienced as a senior, an all-conference post presence, and a sophomore shooting guard with big game potential. You also had a P5 level recruiting class.

When you say a team isn’t an NCAA team you imply they don’t have the talent to get there no matter who the coach is. I am saying with a different coach they would’ve.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Last four games for Carey
1. 26 minutes 2. 23 minutes 3. 14 minutes 4. 14 minutes
Last four games for Ish
1. 15 minutes 2. 12 minutes 3. 16 minutes 4. 11 minutes

I think Carey should stick to 14 minutes a game. Ish should be up around 18-20. Cox needs to find creative ways to get this kid into the game more..
Yeah we should be able to get Ish around 20 minutes from now on and Carey getting the minutes Ish has been getting and everybody be happy.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Last four games for Carey
26 minutes
23 minutes
14 minutes
14 minutes

Last four games for Ish
15 minutes
12 minutes
16 minutes
11 minutes

Seems to have even less to do with Carey and more to do with Betrand now. Betrand hadn’t played more then 18 minutes in a game before Saturday when he played 31

If he stays in the starting lineup and him Fatts and Shep firing on all cylinders you don’t have thaaat many minutes to give to Ish. I’d be shocked if he was able to average 20 a game.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No way were we going the year before, huge losses 4 starters and almost all our scoring. We were a mid pack conference team, but since DH wasn't here let's not keep beating that drum.
Lol fair. I meant being in the “lock” category as an at large instead of outside looking in when the season was paused.

I was merely offering up the comparison to your point about them not being a tournament team in 2019. That team had the talent to dance. Not to go far but definitely to avoid the awful skid we went on that cost us any chance of a post season.

No matter what we lost, you still returned a point guard as experienced as a senior, an all-conference post presence, and a sophomore shooting guard with big game potential. You also had a P5 level recruiting class.

When you say a team isn’t an NCAA team you imply they don’t have the talent to get there no matter who the coach is. I am saying with a different coach they would’ve.
Jeff was steady and Fatts was Fatts (hot and cold), I loved Cyril and his rebounding but he had his limitations and certainly wasn't polished on the offensive end. We had a good recruiting class and to be fair to Cox, Adams our 2nd highest rated recruit that year decommitted. Besides none of these kids were even close to being blue-chippers.
Sorry but I don't think even coach K, or Izzo would of taken that team to the Dance.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Are we an AAU team with transient players or are we a transitional program between two quality basketball coaches? The roster next season will answer this question. Will projected starters depart as Jacob and Tyrese left? Will quality freshman similar to Ish arrive? The jury is out on Cox. Cox had to build a respectable roster with quality transfers or else we would be looking for a new coach. At this point, Cox did what he had to do since he couldn't convince Jacob and Tyrese to stay.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jeff was steady and Fatts was Fatts (hot and cold), I loved Cyril and his rebounding but he had his limitations and certainly wasn't polished on the offensive end. We had a good recruiting class and to be fair to Cox, Adams our 2nd highest rated recruit that year decommitted. Besides none of these kids were even close to being blue-chippers.
Sorry but I don't think even coach K, or Izzo would of taken that team to the Dance.
Harrick would have had a go at it that's for sure. Adam's left because Cox was named coach. Not sure why the other 7 players left.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Are we an AAU team with transient players or are we a transitional program between two quality basketball coaches? The roster next season will answer this question. Will projected starters depart as Jacob and Tyrese left? Will quality freshman similar to Ish arrive? The jury is out on Cox. Cox had to build a respectable roster with quality transfers or else we would be looking for a new coach. At this point, Cox did what he had to do since he couldn't convince Jacob and Tyrese to stay.
I think if we keep Ish, not sure what the other freshman bring to the table, there is room for optimism.
JH and/or DJ, would be the only 2 not including the freshman that may decide to transfer, hopefully not.
I feel the rest of the roster will stay intact.
Based on the graduations and possible player loses of the top tier teams in the A10, I like our chances next year.