Week #16 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I think Davidson losing the way they did tonight greatly increases our chances of winning on Saturday which we need and it doesn’t matter if it’s Q1 or Q2 win. The most important thing is getting the win.
I mean saying it doesn’t matter if it’s a Q1 or Q2 is just flat out 100% wrong.

The NCAA made the Quad system to determine at large bids and seeding, so how the hell can you say it doesn’t matter?
To me, the most important thing is to get in the tourney and winning at Davidson is all that matters to take the next step to accomplish that. Once we’re in, I’ll worry about seeding.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago St Louis and Davidson losing was without question worst case scenario for us.
Won’t matter if we do our job and win.
Ding Ding Ding!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I think Davidson losing the way they did tonight greatly increases our chances of winning on Saturday which we need and it doesn’t matter if it’s Q1 or Q2 win. The most important thing is getting the win.

The NCAA made the Quad system to determine at large bids and seeding, so how the hell can you say it doesn’t matter?
To me, the most important thing is to get in the tourney and winning at Davidson is all that matters to take the next step to accomplish that. Once we’re in, I’ll worry about seeding.
KevanBoyles...We need to win at Davidson anyway...so you don't think a Q1 win at Davidson would look better to the selection committee than a Q2 win?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes it would have been better had Davidson won but it won’t make as much of a difference if we go there and win , a loss is going to sting regardless and a win gets us pretty damn close to dancing , just trying to put a positive spin

Also Stanford Washington is Thursday not tonight
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

KevanBoyles...We need to win at Davidson anyway...so you don't think a Q1 win at Davidson would look better to the selection committee than a Q2 win?
Yes, but I was very scared of the roll Davidson was going to be on with a win tonight. I think the loss at St. Joes rips their hearts out and bodes well for us on Saturday.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The reality is if Davidson/St Louis laid an egg tonight they’re likely to lay another egg at some point this season, which due to the weakness in the bottom of the A10 will push them back a quadrant.

We need to win. We need to use whatever blueprint St. Joes and Umass put together and exploit the same weaknesses. If we win 4 of our last 5 then 1 additional Q1 or 1 additional Q2 win will maybe have a small impact on our seed.

Do I wish they both won? Absolutely, but nothing we can do about it now and I think there are some positives to pull from Davidson not being as confident entering our Saturday Game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

St Louis is confusing. Strong team but just forgets to show up sometimes.
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Yes, but I was very scared of the roll Davidson was going to be on with a win tonight. I think the loss at St. Joes rips their hearts out and bodes well for us on Saturday.
ok...i'm on the fence as to how much i think that loss will effect davidson on saturday, but at least you've added some rationale to your stance and i can appreciate that.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

ok...i'm on the fence as to how much i think that loss will effect davidson on saturday, but at least you've added some rationale to your stance and i can appreciate that.
Thanks 86.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Preston Santos played for UMass tonight. 13 points on 5-7 shooting. 3-4 from 3.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Purdue loses and now sits at 14-13

Can we please put them out of the field on bracket matrix tomorrow????
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

With all this “must win” talk, you guys do know that, these boys WANT to win EVERY game, right?

They said they play every game like they are the “hunted”.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I get that Davidson and St. Louis winning would have been a better outcome for us, but bottom line is if Davidson losing to St Joes somehow ends up affecting our tournament chances then we will have fucked up somewhere along the way, so I don't think it's worth worrying about it too much.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I love Bones Hyland, kid is absolutely fearless.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago With all this “must win” talk, you guys do know that, these boys WANT to win EVERY game, right?

Wait...they WANT to win EVERY game!?!? I'm going to need to know your source on this.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago With all this “must win” talk, you guys do know that, these boys WANT to win EVERY game, right?

Wait...they WANT to win EVERY game!?!? I'm going to need to know your source on this.
If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me. :twisted:
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Bones is a stud. Also, I noticed VCU fans crap on this kid Vann a lot. After watching this Dayton/VCU game, I totally get it. He’s frustrating to watch and I don’t even root for VCU. This VCU team would be really good if they had one 6’9 kid who could play solid defense.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

VCU is giving us a defensive blueprint to disrupt Dayton in Kingston.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Difference in this game is free throws, in favor of the Flyers.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Difference in this game is free throws, in favor of the Flyers.
9-13 vs 7-13?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Flyers are too poised for VCU.

We better smack Davidson on Saturday.

They some LOSERS today. Same with Saint Louis.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Difference in this game is free throws, in favor of the Flyers.
9-13 vs 7-13?
I wouldn’t have guessed it was that close by watching
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I know it's early, but does VCU storm if they win? (I vote yes)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton VCU in an absolute war great game !!!

Yes court storm in order with a win
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SO MANY FOULS
steviep123
Sly Williams

It seems as if there’s something off with Toppin. He seems a step slow like his knee or leg is bothering him. Just slightly.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

VCU can't get over the hump, missing free throws left and right. This could very well be a tie game, but Dayton will prevail.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Bones is a stud. Also, I noticed VCU fans crap on this kid Vann a lot. After watching this Dayton/VCU game, I totally get it. He’s frustrating to watch and I don’t even root for VCU. This VCU team would be really good if they had one 6’9 kid who could play solid defense.
Didn’t mean to quote myself but totally gonna roll with it. VCU fans also always state that the coach relies too much on his seniors. From the outside, I don’t blame him. But after watching the game, this Dayton game has been one of the most poorly coached games I’ve seen in a while. VCU has two good players... MSS and bones. Both led this nice comeback in the second half. Then he sat Bones for the last 10 minutes and the offense has stalled. Get the kid back in the game for crying out loud.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dayton has scored at least 70 points in every game this year. (The only team to do this). This is in jeopardy unless this goes to overtime.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

How many bunnies can VCU miss?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago and there goes any chance of another q1 win.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

not sure i can make sense of your art there TP??
“What are you gonna do?” is I guess how I’d translate it there. URI has to win 4 more games - and probably 5 to be safe - between now and when we leave Brooklyn. All these other games are going to be played and some results will help and some will hurt, and there’s not much we can do about it.

Chaos is a ladder, and it’s chaos time of year in college basketball. I’m going to try to just enjoy it. Que sera, sera.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton wins 66-61 stay unbeaten in league
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 4 years ago Dayton wins 66-61 stay unbeaten in league
To quote TP...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago I am rooting for the Dayton Flyers
I love seeing #5 Ranked Dayton (or any A10 Team) high high up in the AP Rankings. It’s great publicity for the A10
Just like #4 San Diego State is good for the Mountain West and #2 Gonzaga is great publicity for the West Coast Conference. Got to root for the Mid Majors.

I can’t recall ever seeing 3 of the Top 5 AP Teams being from Mid Major Conferences!!!! Great stuff.

Baylor is #1, Kansas #3
These Mid Majors have to be driving the P5 and BE Conference Teams nuts
I’d want Dayton to keep winning at this point til we play them on Senior Night. They could be even higher than #5 by then if Baylor, Kansas, Gonzaga or SDSU falter.
Imagine if 3 Mid Majors were to have the #1 Seeds in the NCAA Tournament?
Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale would need to be put in a padded room.
Congrats to #5 Dayton
  • Dayton next has Duquesne at home 2pm Saturday
  • #3 Kansas is at #1 Baylor Saturday 12 noon in a huge game
  • #2 Gonzaga is at #23 BYU Saturday 10pm
  • If Dayton beats Duquesne Saturday, Dayton should be #4 Ranked in AP Monday and possibly even #3 if BYU upsets Gonzaga
Great stuff for Dayton and for the A10
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It certainly is great for Dayton that they got another win tonight and are climbing in the polls
I however do not think it is necessarily great for the A- 10 when none of the teams in the league can beat Dayton. For many it says Dayton is very good but the rest of the conference sucks.

I would much rather have many teams from the A- 10 in the polls than a single team in the top five.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
It certainly is great for Dayton that they got another win tonight and are climbing in the polls
I however do not think it is necessarily great for the A- 10 when none of the teams in the league can beat Dayton. For many it says Dayton is very good but the rest of the conference sucks.

I would much rather have many teams from the A- 10 in the polls than a single team in the top five.
It’s not over yet. URI May very well have something to say about that undefeated record.
San Diego State and Gonzaga are other Mid Majors dominating their Leagues. Baylor and Kansas too.
Interesting to look back at the Preseason Coaches Poll:

Dayton got only 1 first place vote, Davidson 8, VCU a whopping 19.

PRESEASON POLL (First-place votes in parenthesis)

1. VCU (19) ............................................................ 381
2. Davidson (8) .................................................... 359
3. Dayton (1) ......................................................... 341
4. Rhode Island ................................................... 283
5. St. Bonaventure .............................................. 280
6. Richmond ......................................................... 248
7. Saint Louis ........................................................ 225
8. Duquesne ........................................................ 196
9. George Mason ................................................ 185
10. La Salle .............................................................. 133
11. Massachusetts ................................................ 103
12. George Washington ..................................... 93
13. Saint Joseph’s ................................................. 65
14. Fordham ........................................................... 48
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I tend to agree with this, but Baylor is undefeated in Big 12 and Kansas has 1 loss (to Baylor). Similarly, Gonzaga is running away with the West Coast and San Diego State with the Mountain West. Good teams can roll through their conference - it’s not like Dayton’s wins are all 15+
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From CBS Sports

Dayton is a top five college basketball team for the first time in 64 years. The Flyers jumped a spot in the AP Top 25 on Monday to No. 5 after a 2-0 week that included a convincing 81-67 victory over a Rhode Island team projected to make the NCAA Tournament.
It marks the first time since the 1955-56 season that the Flyers have reached the top five in the AP poll. Dayton (23-2, 12-0 Atlantic 10) has won 14 straight games and is just six wins away from going undefeated in conference play for the first time in program history.
Staying in the top five won't be a cakewalk for Dayton, though. The Flyers have two Quadrant 1 road games remaining on their schedule, starting with a Tuesday trip to VCU. Dayton must also face Rhode Island on the road in the final week of the regular season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

I tend to agree with this, but Baylor is undefeated in Big 12 and Kansas has 1 loss (to Baylor). Similarly, Gonzaga is running away with the West Coast and San Diego State with the Mountain West. Good teams can roll through their conference - it’s not like Dayton’s wins are all 15+
Dayton is just a very good team. Got to give them credit. The higher Dayton is ranked by the first Wednesday in March the bigger that game becomes for URI and the Atlantic 10
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

Of the Top 5 Teams on AP:
Baylor, Gonzaga, San Diego State and Dayton are all undefeated in Conference play
Only Kansas has 1 loss
Kansas plays at Baylor Saturday

It’s just that Top 5 Teams tend to have very few losses by definition

I’m sure Bernadette McGlade, our AD and President, David Cox and his staff are all glad to see a school from the A10 ranked #5 with the real possibility of moving even higher by Monday

It would be awesome to have an A10 team ranked #1. A lot of great A10 publicity would be had.
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

Do they do any meditations and visualizations of themselves playing various teams and beating them does anyone know? Visualizing yourself repeatedly over the course of several days/weeks as if you were watching yourself in a movie doing an outstanding performance with lots of admiration and support from others can anchor in your subconscious and really help you to manifest bringing that or something better into physical reality.

If I were the coach I would do guided meditations with the team after practice narrating a perfect game describing them playing in the NCAAs and how each player was doing so well while constantly improving that they made their way to the final four with everyone cheering for them and mentioning the Media being so surprised but giving them lots of attention.

There would be no harm in them putting that idea out into the universe and planting that kind of a seed. The idea is you just put the idea out there and at the end of the guided meditation say "May this or something better now manifest for the higher good of all concerned. So be it, so it is." You don't focus too hard on it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is it just me or does St. Joe's look like a better team without Daly?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Is it just me or does St. Joe's look like a better team without Daly?
Billyboy,
I was thinking the same thing last night. I think they are a better team without him
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In tonight's bubble action

First out Purdue is at Wisconsin at 7 on ESPN
Fifth out Stanford is at Washington at 10
Sixth out Arkansas is at Florida at 7 on ESPNU
Purdue lost 69-65
Stanford didn't play Washington, that game is tomorrow. Not sure what happened there, CBS must have flipped dates on me at some point when I was checking and I didn't notice
Arkansas lost 73-59

Bubble teams are 65-61
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In tonight's bubble action

First out Purdue is at Wisconsin at 7 on ESPN
Fifth out Stanford is at Washington at 10
Sixth out Arkansas is at Florida at 7 on ESPNU
Purdue and Arkansas have already thus far lost tonight. Stanford tips off late tonight.
Uhh, about that Stanford game...
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Is it just me or does St. Joe's look like a better team without Daly?
He is their best player, but his time of possession definitely hurt the team chemistry piece.
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
He is their best player, but his time of possession definitely hurt the team chemistry piece.
Kids can play more loose now that the offense isn’t predicated on him scoring. They are playing with that nothing to lose mentality. Can be dangerous!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
Kids can play more loose now that the offense isn’t predicated on him scoring. They are playing with that nothing to lose mentality. Can be dangerous!
Circle on your calendars
Leap Year Day February 29
Fordham @ St Joseph’s 1pm
Battle for the bottom
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In tonight's bubble action

Last bye Virginia vs Boston College at 8
Fourth to last in Georgetown vs Providence at 8:30 on FS1
Third to last in Cincinnati vs Central Florida at 7 on ESPNU