D.J. Johnson

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: DJ

Unread post by TruePoint »

Didn’t I say exactly that? I thought they just weren’t playing him at the end of games to save the year. But I thought the reason he wasn’t playing during competitive games was that he isn’t ready to contribute. I didn’t realize that they thought he could play meaningful minutes but were holding him out to save a year.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t I say exactly that? I thought they just weren’t playing him at the end of games to save the year. But I thought the reason he wasn’t playing during competitive games was that he isn’t ready to contribute. I didn’t realize that they thought he could play meaningful minutes but were holding him out to save a year.
Sorry, misunderstood your original post. You were correct. Something changed. They were planning to redshirt him 2 weeks ago.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago I think if you play no more than 20% of your team's games you are eligible for a red shirt year.
Not entirely true. The 20% part is correct, but you also can't play after a certain point in the year. For example, if you only play 2 games, but those 2 games are the last 2 of the season, then that's a full year of eligibility was used. If they are the first two games, then you can red shirt. I don't really know the full details. Or maybe it's that if you play after 20% of games have been played you are out of luck?
I don’t even think the NCAA knows it’s own redshirt / transfer / billion other rules...
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Welp...one of two things is likely to happen. He plays great and everyone asks why the bleep he hasn't been playing, or he doesn't, and people shout "redshirt him."

Honest question: Can a guy who hasn't played a single minute yet 'because he's not ready'...become 'ready' during the first 8 games...but never be close enough to play ahead of a walk-on before then? Aris played in Game 2...
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

So.......what changed???
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I second Rhodyram’s question . You got a 6’7 wing/forward who shot 3’s at 44% and wasn’t ready to play even though we are desperate for outside shooting....they were going to redshirt him, what changed?? Did a switch get flipped or are we just that desperate??
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I second Rhodyram’s question . You got a 6’7 wing/forward who shot 3’s at 44% and wasn’t ready to play even though we are desperate for outside shooting....they were going to redshirt him, what changed?? Did a switch get flipped or are we just that desperate??
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t know what changed. There are several options.
First, Cox has always said you have to be solid on defense to get minutes. The reason DJ wasn’t playing could be difficulties picking up the defense (aka Ryan Preston his Jr year).

I was told DJ had a “slight” injury. Maybe it was more than slight so they were going to redshirt him. And now he has recovered.

Maybe Cox is going to sit Dana after several poor performances and getting the T in last game.

Not sure what changed but something did. The other players have said that Sheppard and DJ are the best 3 point shooters in practice. No guarantee that transfers in high intense games.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: D.J. Johnson

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe mods can combine the two DJ Johnson threads we have now
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know what changed. There are several options.
First, Cox has always said you have to be solid on defense to get minutes. The reason DJ wasn’t playing could be difficulties picking up the defense (aka Ryan Preston his Jr year).

I was told DJ had a “slight” injury. Maybe it was more than slight so they were going to redshirt him. And now he has recovered.

Maybe Cox is going to sit Dana after several poor performances and getting the T in last game.

Not sure what changed but something did. The other players have said that Sheppard and DJ are the best 3 point shooters in practice. No guarantee that transfers in high intense games.
Not excited about Johnson at all. Is he going to magically appear and start drilling three point shots and be a difference maker in game action? Anyone believing this will be disappointed. DJ playing over Tate just means we are in worse shape despite all of Tate’s struggles.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know what changed. There are several options.

Not excited about Johnson at all. Is he going to magically appear and start drilling three point shots and be a difference maker in game action? Anyone believing this will be disappointed. DJ playing over Tate just means we are in worse shape despite all of Tate’s struggles.
That's exactly what I expect. And every 3 that doesn't go in, I'm expecting Toppin to Ram it home. (I actually have no idea, but I'll take this)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am not ready to give up on Tate. He’s had a tough couple of games. I think he can play. I hope Cox isn’t ready to give up on him, or give his minutes to someone that was not considered ready to play as recently as last week.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So we have two separate threads for a kid who hasn’t even played one second for us ... :o
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My guess is they wanted to hold him out for the possible red shirt and not play him until they decided what to do

Now they decide no red shirt so maybe he is good enough to play 10 minutes a game and hit an open 3
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Something appears to be going on with Tate. Sit in 211 and kept an eye on him during Manhattan game. He was clearly upset after being pulled quickly a couple of times. Back to bench hiding under his hoodie. Not engaged during timeouts. Clearly agitated. Hope he is not becoming a problem and snaps out of it
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe we are looking at rotation/lineup changes.....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tate’s confidence on the court is depleted , at least for now. The kid hesitated every time he was open with the ball and this team can’t afford that.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What might have changed?

URI is now dead last in 3P %. 14th of 14 teams at 31.4%

Russell 37%, Dowtin 35% and Martin 42% are ok. But Richmond as an entire team is 42%! And our 1st A10 game is with Richmond

Off the bench our top 2 shooters in number of 3P attempts are:
Toppin is 4-18 for 22%
Tate is 2-15 for 13%

Sheppard and Johnson were brought in to improve 3P shooting. Time to let Johnson have a crack at it. Can’t wait til next year. What’s to lose.

Well there sure seems to be an opportunity for someone like Johnson with Toppin and Tate a combined 6-33 on 3Ps for 18%

When your last in the A10 in outside shooting you are going to see a lot of zone defenses

How does that definition of insanity go? :roll: :roll:

20FCE43D-9F99-4DCA-8674-C4D781BF00BB.png
83F04D8E-A35D-4E67-9BC2-F9260CA3D15C.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Agree Ramster good analysis
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Both Toppin and Tate need to stop shooting 3's, open or not.

Both can get inside and that's their strength, Toppin especially so.

I think Jacob will become a decent 3 pt. shooter....doubt Tate will.

Last season Obi didn't shoot 3's well...this year he's improved.

Toppin and Walker will be taking a lot of Tate's minutes going forward....I imagine that's what is not helping Dana's confidence.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Both Toppin and Tate need to stop shooting 3's, open or not.

Toppin and Walker will be taking a lot of Tate's minutes going forward....I imagine that's what is not helping Dana's confidence.
I've said this about Toppin, develop a little baby hook in the lane. With the way he gets off the floor, he'll get a clear look and it's sure as hell that nobody is blocking it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Both Toppin and Tate need to stop shooting 3's, open or not.

I think Toppin will be a good 3 point shooter, still early for him. Tate? Not sure, Coaches know about both players based on practices.

Walker is a good shooter.

Sounds like Coaching Staff is looking to give Johnson minutes and not red shirt. Coaches know Johnson’s capabilities based on practices. Trust the Coaching staff here. Bottom of A10 in all important 3P Shooting means some things have to change.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Here's a thought.

Maybe he will take Longs minutes?

Long hasn't been horrible out there. Played a little better than I have thought.

Tate has still been better than him.

Wouldn't be shocked if Devale comes in and gives more effective minutes than Long.