PC Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: PC Game

Unread post by ramster »

Gotta love the Fryya board. This recent post especially hits home for URI fans....

They celebrated when Cooley’s last contract enabled him to stay at PC forever! Now not so sure

CFL :lol: :lol:

Posted on 2 hrs, User Since 178 months ago, User Post Count: 3,010

Remember the mess uri was in when Jim Baron took over? He cleaned up a real sh!tshow and brought back respectability, but clearly wasn't the guy to bring them to the next level.
CAVEAT--I'm not convinced that this is the case with Cooley--but I'm wondering---he cleaned up the Keno Avis mess and brought back respectability to the program. The question is: is he the guy to bring things to the next level, or are his weaknesses (X and O coaching) holding him back?
I have to laugh because over at the uri board, Baron was derisively referred to as the CFL (coach for life)--an insult being hurled at Cooley here.
Please don't kill the messenger, I'm just offering up food for thought.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like their CFL over our CFL much better !!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Baron 0 NCAA Wins
Cooley 1 NCAA Win
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Baron - 0 NCAA appearances.
Cooley - 5 NCAA appearances.

I take Cooley for sure.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cox vs Cooley who are you taking?
I’m 100% Cox

I hope Cooley stays at OC for Life. And keeps the Flex!!!!!!
The PC Board is very entertaining. With Cooley CFL I’m going to enjoy the ride.

Cooley is the Excuse Making Machine
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was talking Cooley v Baron not close there
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It wasn’t long ago that Rhody fans would have taken Cooley over Hurley if given the choice. Times have changed.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m one of the few who do not hate PC. They do not have a bad team. At all. They just don’t seem to be gelling, nor do they seem to be good at one thing.

I want us to beat them as badly as I do any time we play, but IF we lose, we still have 23 more games in front of us, and we still SHOULD stand behind the staff and roster as it stands.

I am certain I will say something banworthy after that game, IF we lose, so I’ll have one of my kids hide my phone and the plugs to all laptops and computers.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago It wasn’t long ago that Rhody fans would have taken Cooley over Hurley if given the choice. Times have changed.
Dan’s ceiling was always higher than Cooley’s even when they were in the midst of their 5 ncaa run and we were struggling to finally get back there.

The thing with Cooley and how their fans compare him to previous coaches, the league he excelled in is a shell of the former BE. He had to leapfrog programs like Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton, Gtown...a far cry from louisville, Syracuse, UConn, etc of the old BE.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Crazy to me that the PC fans are turning on Cooley - probably just a case of "this is the worst thing EVER!" during a bad stretch, which happens on all fan boards. It's not even clear if this is going to be REALLY bad, like a less than 10-win season, or simply a kind of middling near .500 season. (And heck, maybe this is a "bottom" moment and they sort things out from here.) I kind of thought that PC overachieved in some of his first few seasons, so this strikes me as a reversion to the "average" more than anything else. I thought Pipkins' efficiency might improve if he wasn't the focal point of an offense, but the pessimistic side of that equation, of course, is that gunners are going to gun, regardless of their role.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago Crazy to me that the PC fans are turning on Cooley - probably just a case of "this is the worst thing EVER!" during a bad stretch, which happens on all fan boards. It's not even clear if this is going to be REALLY bad, like a less than 10-win season, or simply a kind of middling near .500 season. (And heck, maybe this is a "bottom" moment and they sort things out from here.) I kind of thought that PC overachieved in some of his first few seasons, so this strikes me as a reversion to the "average" more than anything else. I thought Pipkins' efficiency might improve if he wasn't the focal point of an offense, but the pessimistic side of that equation, of course, is that gunners are going to gun, regardless of their role.

I think Pipkins is definitely the key.

They are used to having a stud run their team. Pip is half a stud.

Cant be consistent with him!

Fatts will destroy him.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......RJ, what say you?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago Crazy to me that the PC fans are turning on Cooley - probably just a case of "this is the worst thing EVER!" during a bad stretch, which happens on all fan boards. It's not even clear if this is going to be REALLY bad, like a less than 10-win season, or simply a kind of middling near .500 season. (And heck, maybe this is a "bottom" moment and they sort things out from here.) I kind of thought that PC overachieved in some of his first few seasons, so this strikes me as a reversion to the "average" more than anything else. I thought Pipkins' efficiency might improve if he wasn't the focal point of an offense, but the pessimistic side of that equation, of course, is that gunners are going to gun, regardless of their role.

Fatts will destroy him.
Who was the stud who ran PC last year?
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Fatts will destroy him.
Who was the stud who ran PC last year?

Nobody.

Didnt mean to imply that they had one last year.

From Vincent Council until last year they've had a really good PG that stirred the drink for them/saved them.

One other note about them.

All of Cooleys NCAA teams were very balanced with a good PG.

Never that explosive on offense.

Never that great on defense.

Had enough talent to beat good teams, but they could never take it up a notch.

He maybe hasn't had a team as good as either of our NCAA teams.

I know they beat the 16/17 team, but they sure as hell wouldn't have towards the end of the year.

You'd think after making 5 tournaments in a row they'd take it to the next level.

If it's a Hurley coached Rhode Island program that makes the tournament 5 times in a row, I doubt it's the same deal.

We'd get better players and take the program to a higher level. Under Dan we got better and better.

Cooley, they got better, and just stayed the same and now they're losing steam.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Cooley vs Baron isn’t even close.

Never mind the lack of NCAA trips - think of how many times PC has knocked off a ranked opponent or top 10 or #1.

He’s a garbage x and o's guy when it comes to the tourney, but at least he can recruit talent and do enough to get you there. Plus he single handedly built PC their practice facility. He’s a great program representative.

Would take Cox for sure - I think the ceilings higher than what Cooley has shown.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cooley and Baron are not close but what PC Fans are referring to is that both were given Coach for Life type Contracts

Baron was given a 10 Year Contract and was even extended.

Cooley has a long term CFL Type deal and it was announced that they wanted him there as long as he Coached.

Michigan meanwhile is on fire with Juwan Howard. They must be feeling pretty good about the Howard hire versus if they had gone with Cooley.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not saying that CFL type deals are all bad....but it could lead to a certain complacency for some.

I don't think EC falls in that group, but it looks like it to their fan base.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Anyone counting this game as a lock W is crazy. Ever since switching allegiance to Rhody 43 years ago, I've seen many games that didn't follow script. We have to make the home court advantage an impossible Hill to climb for PC.. it's going to take some of our other guys to step up.. Never an easy game
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone counting this game as a lock W is crazy. Ever since switching allegiance to Rhody 43 years ago, I've seen many games that didn't follow script. We have to make the home court advantage an impossible Hill to climb for PC.. it's going to take some of our other guys to step up.. Never an easy game
But, but....Easy Ed said it wasn't even really a 'rivalry'...didn't he?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our issues this year have to do with the fact that in all our games save one [Alabama], we have had only a couple of guys step up each game.

Fatts obviously has been the most consistent, but everyone else has been up and down.

We need more production out of more players each game. And we're not getting it.

We need to start getting it. Starting now.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Not saying that CFL type deals are all bad....but it could lead to a certain complacency for some.

I don't think EC falls in that group, but it looks like it to their fan base.
Let’s not forget that the mental hospital has one of the most spoiled, entitled fan bases in the country. Their expectations are pumped up by the mental hospital-Bigheaded East hype machine, whose local office is the Fountain Street Fish-wrap Plant.

As Dennis Miller used to say, they buy into their own bullshit.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone counting this game as a lock W is crazy. Ever since switching allegiance to Rhody 43 years ago, I've seen many games that didn't follow script. We have to make the home court advantage an impossible Hill to climb for PC.. it's going to take some of our other guys to step up.. Never an easy game
.......seems like the big game stage here could come into play, and maybe there will be Rhody player overlooked for big game will have unsuspected big game role......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

FTF
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 4 years agoFTF
.......yeah, my bad.....someone we don’t expect might have big game......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This game has Fatts written all over it.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The pro (or even neutral) Friar hoops talk is this thread is very troubling.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

We’d be a powerhouse with Cooley.

Some of those pc fans ain’t that smart it sounds...then again if u want to pay 40k a year and have your kids live in a war zone of a neighborhood u prob ain’t that bright to begin with.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Ah you can make that $60,000 a year. It is absolutely absurd to pay that amount of money to go to that "school".

FTF
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Ah you can make that $60,000 a year. It is absolutely absurd to pay that amount of money to go to that "school".

FTF
It’s the safety school for kids who couldn’t get in to Notre Dame, Villanova, Fordham, Boston College, Georgetown or DeVry.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Ah you can make that $60,000 a year. It is absolutely absurd to pay that amount of money to go to that "school".

FTF
It’s the safety school for kids who couldn’t get in to Notre Dame, Villanova, Fordham, Boston College, Georgetown or DeVry.
DeVry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Must win.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years agoMust win.
No doubt.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

FTF
I’ve had Assumption on this list before and one of the PC guys that used to post here got BIG MAD. Holy Cross legitimately should be on this list, it’s a much better school than Providence.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

I’ve had Assumption on this list before and one of the PC guys that used to post here got BIG MAD. Holy Cross legitimately should be on this list, it’s a much better school than Providence.
Plus, Worcester has MiLB now, too.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

That's right. URI is the Brown of South County. 8-)
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Still remember Fatts putting in a crazy layup, deep under the basket by the student section while being triple teamed by 3 Friars as a Freshman. That's when I knew this kid was bound for greatness. Haha.
Fatts is PC's kryptonite.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Taking Cox over Cooley is a level of homerism that would make Tommy Heinsohn blush. Cox is only four years younger, Cooley accomplished significantly more than Cox at the same age. Cox doesn't display one attribute superior to Cooley. Even Cooley's weak spot, x's and o's isn't exactly Cox' strength
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All I can say is take a visit to PCs Board and see how they are feeling about all those Cooley Strengths you mention.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

We have met Cooley out a few times in our town, in the market and in restaurants. He thinks we are fr@#$s fans. Both times he told us his team “sucks”. Could you ever imagine Dave Cox saying that about his team?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago We have met Cooley out a few times in our town, in the market and in restaurants. He thinks we are fr@#$s fans. Both times he told us his team “sucks”. Could you ever imagine Dave Cox saying that about his team?
No. But I could see Hurls saying that about his team if he felt that way...and I'd take him over either one of them. :lol:
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago We have met Cooley out a few times in our town, in the market and in restaurants. He thinks we are fr@#$s fans. Both times he told us his team “sucks”. Could you ever imagine Dave Cox saying that about his team?
No. But I could see Hurls saying that about his team if he felt that way...and I'd take him over either one of them. :lol:
Yeah, he’s definitely been known to say something like “I love ‘em, but we suck right now.” It’s all about the we, not the they that makes it ok to me. The truth’s the truth sometimes.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone who would take Cox over Cooley as a head coach is a lunatic. Plain and simple.
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

FTF
DeVry!! 😂😂 University of Phoenix 😂

Red, you are 100% correct on that. Bunch of snot rags who act like it IS on par with Villanova and ND. I hate having to defend the quality of education at URI to PC fans who probably have a General Studies certificate from CCRI.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

:o I can certainly picture Cooley saying that. I love how you said “fr@#$s”.

Dave would say something like, “we’ll get back to the lab and work on some things” Not “SUCKS”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

So I found out I will be at the game Friday since I won a ticket through my day job. I will be working at a table(if you are looking to buy or sell a home you’ll find me). I’ll be on the 2nd floor area. I couldn’t be happier with this good news!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago So I found out I will be at the game Friday since I won a ticket through my day job. I will be working at a table(if you are looking to buy or sell a home you’ll find me). I’ll be on the 2nd floor area. I couldn’t be happier with this good news!
Great! Things happen for a reason!
You belong in the Ryan Center Friday Night!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago So I found out I will be at the game Friday since I won a ticket through my day job. I will be working at a table(if you are looking to buy or sell a home you’ll find me). I’ll be on the 2nd floor area. I couldn’t be happier with this good news!
Great! Things happen for a reason!
You belong in the Ryan Center Friday Night!
Thank you my friend
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......RJ, what say you?
Sorry for the delay in response. Baby RJ was born last Thursday and I have already begun to get him primed to join Scout Friars and KeaneyBlue on 11/28/2033.

The frustrations from Cooley come from the fact that on paper this should have been one of his better, deeper teams, but they are performing like one of his worst teams.

That obviously puts the coach and team under heavy fire, and leads to mass judgement on X’s and O’s and style of play.

I’m on the record going as far back as February of 2016 as not like the way PC runs an offense, too much stagnant action, not trying to use athleticism defensively, etc.

Ultimately, when the team wins a tournament game that season, or makes 5 straight tournaments, they are still doing something right and makes it hard to criticize style of play, regardless of how many times it felt they had to sneak in off the bubble.

However, one point that does annoy me are people who say “Cooley only made those tournaments because of the NBE.” I believe maybe he had a slightly easier path, but regardless of conference, to make the tournament you need to best good teams and you need to have nice wins OOC (usually). Being in an easier conference and playing an easier conference schedule does not guarantee a bid.

I digress, but I think now you look at a team of players who are not equally the sum of their parts and it’s creating this sort of anarchy in the fan base. Continuing to try to slam the flex down a roster of athletic players who struggle scoring isn’t working. The team has shown solid pressure defense but coach sees it as a gimmick. He’s trying to run his offense with a roster that just is not capable of operating that offense at a high-level.

And now he’s got a team that many thought could make the 2nd weekend with the right breaks that already has 3-4 bad losses and hasn’t bounced back at all and the coaching has not responded at all to that adversity either. There has been no stylistic changes, no benchings for poor performance, etc.

This team is just off the rails, but if Cooley doesn’t wake up and try to “shake things up” rather than watching this car crash in slow motion, he’s going to start really losing people other than the crazy message board crowd.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......thx, congrats on a Baby RJ....
Ram logo via Grist 1938