2019-20 A-10 Predictions

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2019-20 A-10 Predictions

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Andy Katz's 2019-20 A-10 predictions

Player of the Year: Kellan Grady, Davidson
Freshman of the Year: Tre Mitchell, UMass
Underrated: Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure
BIG DANCE: Predicting the 2020 NCAA tournament bracket less than 50 days to opening night
Five important non-conference games

1. Rhode Island at Maryland, Nov. 9
2. VCU vs. Purdue, Destin, Fla., Nov. 29
3. LSU at VCU, Nov. 13
4. Davidson vs. Marquette, Orlando Invitational, Nov. 28
5. Dayton vs. Colorado, Chicago, Dec. 21

Bold prediction: The A-10 will be a bid stealer on Selection Sunday. Davidson and VCU are the favorites, but Dayton, St. Bonaventure, URI and Richmond will all be viable automatic qualifying candidates by winning the A-10 tournament.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... M_ID=31600
Disagree that at Maryland is a top 5 important OOC game. PC, Alabama & LSU are all more important OOC games for URI.
Doesn’t look like Andy did much research.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Virginia at VCU and Va Tech at Richmond.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Nice to see, but as we saw last season, our scrimmage win vs St. Johns meant stoogatz.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This year the top A10 teams need some key OOC wins to help boost the rankings of the entire conference. The last few years the top A10 teams have been putrid in key OOC games. We know Rhody’s loaded OOC schedule. Key games for other A10 top tier teams:
VCU - LSU, Purdue & Wichita State
Davidson - Auburn, Nevada, Wake Forest & Marquette
Dayton - Georgia, St Mary’s & Colorado

Rhody leads the list with Maryland, Alabama, LSU, W Virginia, PC & W Kentucky.

16 very important games to get 3-4 teams in the NCAA Tournament.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

BIG DANCE: Predicting the 2020 NCAA tournament bracket less than 50 days to opening night

3. LSU at VCU, Nov. 13

Bold prediction: The A-10 will be a bid stealer on Selection Sunday. Davidson and VCU are the favorites, but Dayton, St. Bonaventure, URI and Richmond will all be viable automatic qualifying candidates by winning the A-10 tournament.

Disagree that at Maryland is a top 5 important OOC game. PC, Alabama & LSU are all more important OOC games for URI.
Depends how you interpret important?
In the preseason polls I see Maryland is the top ranked team of all the teams on our schedule. Ranked #6 on CBS Early Poll.
PC and Alabama are on our home court
LSU is neutral court
Maryland is away - should be our toughest point spread.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... and-1/amp/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If Rhody loses to Maryland by double digits it will not impact their at large chances. Is Katz saying it is important for URI to win?
More important for URI’s at large chances are wins against PC, Alabama & LSU.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago If Rhody loses to Maryland by double digits it will not impact their at large chances. Is Katz saying it is important for URI to win?
More important for URI’s at large chances are wins against PC, Alabama & LSU.
But...more effective and a good indicator of how they'll do vs the others...is the MD game, no?
Seems like, from here anyway, that would be the biggest win of the year?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. A win over Maryland on the road would be big. Toughest game on the schedule. I think that’s what Katz means. But he’s often in Newport do anyone can ask :D

Of the 5 A10 games listed he has URI @ Maryland listed #1 and Maryland is the highest ranked team of the 10 teams/5 games
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't think anyone expects us to beat Maryland. So, unless we really get blown out, it's not a bad loss. That's why it's not nearly our biggest game. If we can win a couple of the other games where we are slight underdogs, those would be big (and more realistic ) wins.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thank u Jimmy Christian
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maryland Predicted #9 in this Preseason Poll

https://sports.yahoo.com/terps-top-10-t ... 23369.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Anthony Cowan unanimous 1st Team Big 10 Selection

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... len-smith/
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I like the chance to stun MD early in the season, rather than later on. If we can catch them while they are still gelling, I don’t put winning that game as “highly unlikely”.

I believe with this team, every game will be a dog fight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree this game is a potential win.
Maryland plays Holy Cross their first game of the season, then URI on Saturday Night 9pm on FS1. Xfinity Arena holds about 18k

This is what players and coaches on our team who were born andor raised in this part of the country dream for.

Not often we get a shot at a Top 10 team

FWIW Maryland Football will play AT Ohio State that Saturday Nov 9. No home game.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

They are similar to us.

Bring back some highly tauted sophomores that played big minutes as freshmen. Only they are more talented. They have more freshmen. Less upperclassmen than we do.

Itll be interesting!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Was thinking about making the drive to College Park but not sure how I feel about it yet. Anyone else plan on going?
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I'll be up there, can't wait to watch Rhody battle against a ranked Maryland team, with alot of the players families most likely also cheering them on.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Was thinking about making the drive to College Park but not sure how I feel about it yet. Anyone else plan on going?
Not sure...what kind of car you have? :lol: :lol:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

3. LSU at VCU, Nov. 13

If you’re looking at important in terms of opportunity then it is definitely that. But if we define it as a season make or break game, then I’d tend to agree with you. I think I’d give Katz the benefit of the doubt that he’s looking at it more in terms of the potential impact on the college basketball season writ large than importance for a particular team.

One minor quibble I’d make is that VCU/LSU is #3 but our LSU gmae isn’t mentioned. Not sure that is consistent but ultimately this doesn’t really matter too much.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I can see where Katz is with this. If we beat Maryland, we will have some serious press going forward with our games being checked out. It's a big opportunity. The team shouldn't look at it like it will not be a bad loss. They should look at it like this will put us on the stage.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I can see where Katz is with this. If we beat Maryland, we will have some serious press going forward with our games being checked out. It's a big opportunity. The team shouldn't look at it like it will not be a bad loss. They should look at it like this will put us on the stage.
Since the team has strong ties to the DMV I imagine they’ll be playing their hearts out against Maryland.
Slava Ukraini!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Will be there with 4 other fans from the DMV area.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I will be in attendance at the Maryland game as well. Making the trip down from RI
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

3. LSU at VCU, Nov. 13

If you’re looking at important in terms of opportunity then it is definitely that. But if we define it as a season make or break game, then I’d tend to agree with you. I think I’d give Katz the benefit of the doubt that he’s looking at it more in terms of the potential impact on the college basketball season writ large than importance for a particular team.

One minor quibble I’d make is that VCU/LSU is #3 but our LSU gmae isn’t mentioned. Not sure that is consistent but ultimately this doesn’t really matter too much.
Yeah, I think this is Katz’s point. It has nothing to do with “lack of research.” Katz is thinking about the conference as a whole, and a match-up against a top 10 team is big for the conference. Take a step back from looking at it as just a URI fan.

I don’t think the national basketball media always does a good job covering the A10, but not everything is a slight or misinformation.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He threw these together for every conference. Spitting out several per day. My guess for the A10 some is based on what he saw at the end of last year and the rest probably what he read in Street & Smith. Needs to define important. I took it as key game to win for the conference. I think there needs to be some realism on the board about the Maryland game. When was the last time URI beat a Top 10 team on their hone court?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago He threw these together for every conference. Spitting out several per day. My guess for the A10 some is based on what he saw at the end of last year and the rest probably what he read in Street & Smith. Needs to define important. I took it as key game to win for the conference. I think there needs to be some realism on the board about the Maryland game. When was the last time URI beat a Top 10 team on their hone court?

Uh never?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah, I think this is Katz’s point. It has nothing to do with “lack of research.” Katz is thinking about the conference as a whole, and a match-up against a top 10 team is big for the conference. Take a step back from looking at it as just a URI fan.

I don’t think the national basketball media always does a good job covering the A10, but not everything is a slight or misinformation.

Yeah we are playing the toughest team out of the whole conference so that's why it is featured.

Coupled with the fact that we are good.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Katz is listing the games as important based on the quality of the opponent

1. He is listing URI - Maryland as 1st because Maryland is the highest ranked opponent, preseason, that any A10 team will play
2. VCU #18 is the highest ranked A10 team going against #17 Big 10 Conference Purdue. Great exposure game for the A10
3. VCU #18 vs #26 LSU from the SEC Conference. Another heavyweight battle with the best A10 Team against a Top Team. In addition VCU somehow got LSU to visit their home court Siegel Center. Stub hub prices for that game with be thru the roof
4. Davidson recognized as the 2nd best A10 team (and some have Davidson picked as the best) takes in Big Easy power Marquette on a neutral site. Great game.
5. Dayton, picked by most as the 3rd best A10 team vs Colorado on a neutral court. Best OOC matchup for Dayton.

1. Rhode Island #79 at Maryland #6, Nov. 9
2. VCU #18 vs. Purdue #17, Destin, Fla., Nov. 29
3. LSU #26 at VCU #18, Nov. 13
4. Davidson #42/#23 in CBS vs. Marquette (not Ranked yet in Madness 144 but top 35 TBA), Orlando Invitational, Nov. 28
5. Dayton #51 vs. Colorado #62, Chicago, Dec. 21
Ranking in 144 Madness or in CBS Top 26

Looking at it from an NCAA Selection Team member standpoint I’d think these are 5 important games to be looking at results from in gauging the strength of the A10 this year.

I like that URI is taking on the highest ranked team the entire A10 will face this season. Plus the benefits of Players and Coaches from the area returning “home”. URI went to Duke and Jimmy Baron put on a performance for the ages to never forget. Coach K had very special words for Jimmys performance.

Games like this Maryland one are unique opportunities. It’s being viewed by Katz as the most important for the Conference. Of course we will be heavy point underdogs but what an opportunity.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Katz picks VCU and Davidson to make the tournament
A little surprised he has them both in the same 16 team quadrant.
4F3CCF93-6301-4E39-B172-B0DD3EECFD40.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

1. He is listing URI - Maryland as 1st because Maryland is the highest ranked opponent, preseason, that any A10 team will play
2. VCU #18 is the highest ranked A10 team going against #17 Big 10 Conference Purdue. Great exposure game for the A10
3. VCU #18 vs #26 LSU from the SEC Conference. Another heavyweight battle with the best A10 Team against a Top Team. In addition VCU somehow got LSU to visit their home court Siegel Center. Stub hub prices for that game with be thru the roof
4. Davidson recognized as the 2nd best A10 team (and some have Davidson picked as the best) takes in Big Easy power Marquette on a neutral site. Great game.
5. Dayton, picked by most as the 3rd best A10 team vs Colorado on a neutral court. Best OOC matchup for Dayton.

4. Davidson #42/#23 in CBS vs. Marquette (not Ranked yet in Madness 144 but top 35 TBA), Orlando Invitational, Nov. 28

Looking at it from an NCAA Selection Team member standpoint I’d think these are 5 important games to be looking at results from in gauging the strength of the A10 this year.

I like that URI is taking on the highest ranked team the entire A10 will face this season. Plus the benefits of Players and Coaches from the area returning “home”. URI went to Duke and Jimmy Baron put on a performance for the ages to never forget. Coach K had very special words for Jimmys performance.

Games like this Maryland one are unique opportunities. It’s being viewed by Katz as the most important for the Conference. Of course we will be heavy point underdogs but what an opportunity.
If Dayton wins their first game in Maui (vs Georgia) they will likely play Michigan State, which could be ranked #1 at the time. That would end up being the highest ranked team an A10 team will play, but of course they have to win a game to get there so Katz can't include it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This guys Twitter account states he works for NBC. What an ahole tweet.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Now thats just plain disrespectful.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago This guys Twitter account states he works for NBC. What an ahole tweet.
It's a joke.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago This guys Twitter account states he works for NBC. What an ahole tweet.
It's a joke.
I'll be calling him Rob Doucher from now on. Worst take than the undergrads that write for A10talk
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
It's a joke.
I'll be calling him Rob Doucher from now on. Worst take than the undergrads that write for A10talk
C'mon guys. This was a question from a clear Dayton fan - Rob's response was made in jest to get under the Dayton fans skin. A joke. Can we really not recognize that?
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

oops, my bad!

Apologies for missing that
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I honestly did not see that as a joke.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I honestly did not see that as a joke.
Me neither. Is this the real twitter account for someone from NBC Sports - I think not. His Twitter page starts with “Award losing writer @NBCSports”. If this and his other attack tweets are his attempt at sarcasm, he is way off.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

If Dayton wins their first game in Maui (vs Georgia) they will likely play Michigan State, which could be ranked #1 at the time. That would end up being the highest ranked team an A10 team will play, but of course they have to win a game to get there so Katz can't include it.
Good point BAR. Michigan State is Ranked #1 in CBS Poll. Also in the Maui Invitational is Kansas, Ranked #5, just ahead of Maryland which is Ranked #6. Maui Invitational is an excellent tournament.

MONDAY, NOV. 25
Game 1: Georgia vs. Dayton | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN2
Game 2: Virginia Tech vs. Michigan State | 5 p.m. | ESPN2
Game 3: Kansas vs. Chaminade | 9 p.m. | ESPNU
Game 4: BYU vs. UCLA | 11:30 p.m. | ESPN2
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be interesting if Dayton can play #1 Preseason Ranked Michigan State in the 2nd round of Maui Invite as BAR suggests possible.
Andy Katz interviewing Josh Langford. I saw Langford play in AAU a few years ago and thought he was phenomenal.

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I honestly did not see that as a joke.
Me neither. Is this the real twitter account for someone from NBC Sports - I think not. His Twitter page starts with “Award losing writer @NBCSports”. If this and his other attack tweets are his attempt at sarcasm, he is way off.
He's good friends with Jeff Goodman so that should be all we need to know.

He was responding to the person who runs the most popular Dayton blog so he was trolling to get a reaction from that guy's followers. It wasn't a joke or light ribbing; it was deliberate trolling to get the Dayton faithful to blow up his mentions. I blame this clickbait culture.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

My buddy is a bigwig here at NBCSports. He’s never heard of the kid. He’s irrelevant.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago My buddy is a bigwig here at NBCSports. He’s never heard of the kid. He’s irrelevant.
He's the lead writer for NBC's college basketball website.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago My buddy is a bigwig here at NBCSports. He’s never heard of the kid. He’s irrelevant.
He's the lead writer for NBC's college basketball website.
Not sure if the Twitter account is the real guy.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A10 could be a three bid league. Rhody needs to beat out Davidson or Dayton. Dayton seems to be the most realistic. Dayton has the weakest OOC schedule of the top 4 and Rhody has the toughest.

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago A10 could be a three bid league. Rhody needs to beat out Davidson or Dayton. Dayton seems to be the most realistic. Dayton has the weakest OOC schedule of the top 4 and Rhody has the toughest.

It's not impossible that there could be 4 teams out of the A-10 that could make it.

All depends on how the conference as a whole performs in the nonconference.

VCU and Davidson almost certainly will make it with what they bring back.

Dayton is an NIT team bringing back nearly everyone plus talented transfers.

We know we are getting more experienced and more talented.

We've seen the league put four teams in before.

It is likely it doesnt go that well and some teams fumble around and the only way we get to 4 teams in is through an automatic qualifier.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

League definitely better I will say a 3 team lesgue with a shot at 4
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It all comes down to the OOC. A10 has to perform significantly better than past 3 years. If the top 4 knock off some Top 50 teams in OOC and all come into league play with NET ratings in the Top 60 then 4 bids is possible as all ships rise even if they beat each other up a bit.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another person's predictions for the A-10:

#4. Rhode Island– The Rams have loaded up with talent for 2019-20, thanks to yet another strong recruiting class put together by David Cox to complement a strong returning core. A bounceback year for Fatts Russell will be necessary for URI to reach its ceiling– Russell was moved into an on-ball roll by Cox and struggled mightily, shooting just 22% from 3. It will be interesting to see if Cox elects to move Jeff Dowtin back to the point and free up Russell to score or if he continues the Russell PG experiment.

https://cbbcentral.com/2019/10/04/32x32 ... 0-preview/
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SBU beat writer all conference picks:
http://www.oleantimesherald.com/olean/o ... f078d.html