The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
If I am keeping track correctly, the number of UMass player transfers out now exceeds their number of coaches dismissed 4-3.

UMass Player Transfers Out (4)
Luwane Pipkins
Unique McLean
Keiran Hayward
Curtis Cobb

UMass Coaches Dismissed (3)
Rasheen Davis
Peter Gash
Cliff Warren
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I read posts about another Four. I didn’t think he was that good for URI. I looked up his stats - he shot 35.5 % FG and 34.7 from three.
Yes - but he was asked to do more when EC went down. Would have been a better fit as a scorer of the bench playing 15 mins a game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m worried about UMass being able to put a team on the court next season.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I read posts about another Four. I didn’t think he was that good for URI. I looked up his stats - he shot 35.5 % FG and 34.7 from three.
Yes - but he was asked to do more when EC went down. Would have been a better fit as a scorer of the bench playing 15 mins a game.
I have heard this point on other players. Are you saying we lower the expectations if he comes off the bench (I don’t mean ppg)? In that case his performance would’ve been similar but our expectations lower if he didn’t start? I didn’t think he was that good a shooter (35.5%) regardless of his minutes. The pace of play was much faster than he was use to and the defense was better.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ty is in Kansas at the JUCO National Tournament.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Ty is in Kansas at the JUCO National Tournament.
Anyone in particular that he's watching?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/di ... ship/index

He posted from this last night, four games on the schedule.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Coach Boswell and Jonah Antonio follow each other on Twitter but that sometimes means something and sometimes doesn't. Antonio is a Guard for South Plains, definitely a shooter. Originally from Australia, had a good freshman season at Mt. St. Mary's before going JUCO, reportedly has an offer from Seton Hall among others.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
Coach Boswell and Jonah Antonio follow each other on Twitter but that sometimes means something and sometimes doesn't. Antonio is a Guard for South Plains, definitely a shooter. Originally from Australia, had a good freshman season at Mt. St. Mary's before going JUCO, reportedly has an offer from Seton Hall among others.
Boy, is he ever a shooter...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Shoots 3's at 41.6%.....not too shabby.
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Love his form and most were nothing but net. Looks very confident shooting them also (something our guys are/were definitely not). Shoots well on the move too with the step backs and moves to get open. Surprise just a 73% shooter from the line but that would put him near the top for us. I'd be all in on him (our biggest need is a 3 point shooter) and hope TY has an strong in with him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

wgracie99 wrote: 5 years ago Love his form and most were nothing but net. Looks very confident shooting them also (something our guys are/were definitely not). Shoots well on the move too with the step backs and moves to get open. Surprise just a 73% shooter from the line but that would put him near the top for us. I'd be all in on him (our biggest need is a 3 point shooter) and hope TY has an strong in with him.
And several are from 3-4 feet behind the line.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

wgracie99 wrote: 5 years ago Love his form and most were nothing but net. Looks very confident shooting them also (something our guys are/were definitely not). Shoots well on the move too with the step backs and moves to get open. Surprise just a 73% shooter from the line but that would put him near the top for us. I'd be all in on him (our biggest need is a 3 point shooter) and hope TY has an strong in with him.
And several are from 3-4 feet behind the line.
I'll take it!
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Jonah Antonio is friendly with Mading. Both lived in Australia, follow each other on Instagram.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Don’t get too riled up. We don’t even know, for sure, if we are interested.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago

Boy, is he ever a shooter...

Can shoot and very athletic!

I'd take it if it were to be.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jonah can definitely make the shots it seems. Good step back on the three as well. Based on his dunks he either isn't 6'5" or can't get up well. Would like to see his handle though, cause we need a guy with a handle as well.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We don't know if he can play defense either. We passed on Tyler Bertram because he supposedly couldn't.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Don’t get too riled up. We don’t even know, for sure, if we are interested.
True, but Ty is there watching somebody. This kid would seem to make sense. Just trying to connect the dots. Who knows?
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago We don't know if he can play defense either. We passed on Tyler Bertram because he supposedly couldn't.
Exactly, I’ll trust the staff but if he can’t play any D and doesn’t have a strong handle, wouldn’t we say it would be a wash picking him up but having Omar leave??
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago We don't know if he can play defense either. We passed on Tyler Bertram because he supposedly couldn't.
If he can play any kind of D and he wants to come I'd hope we'd take him. We should have a strong frontcourt defensively next year to help hide a little backcourt defensive deficiency at times. I don't remember Four McGlynn being any kind of defensive gem, plus I thought he was overrated as a shooter. Still remember the PC and Nebraska games where he couldn't hit anything (0-8 and 2-10) which contributed mightily to us losing both those close games......Sought of reminds me of some of Fatts games this year though.... (I think Fatts comes back real strong next year).
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Don’t get too riled up. We don’t even know, for sure, if we are interested.
True, but Ty is there watching somebody. This kid would seem to make sense. Just trying to connect the dots. Who knows?
It’s unlikely him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
It’s unlikely him.
Any idea who it might be?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody Assistant goes to this event every year. They are watching several players/casting a wide net. Antonio is one on that list.

I think they will compare JUCO’s and Grad Transfers once all the Transfers have declared.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

It’s unlikely him.
Any idea who it might be?

I stand corrected. There are indeed multiple targets.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Antonio 1-7 from three is his opening game.
Top JUCO scores listed in link
https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/y ... eaders.pdf
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes yes and yes to this kid can flat out stroke it with deep range !!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Regarding Jonah Antonio's defense, this was posted a few weeks ago...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There is a JUCO team from MD with a Guard that appears to have Ty’s interest.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not transfers but two St. Joe's recruits have decommitted: a 6-7 wing from NJ and a 6-9 PF from Holland. Don't think URI would be interested in either.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago There is a JUCO team from MD with a Guard that appears to have Ty’s interest.
A Juco in Maryland or a kid from Maryland? The only JUCO from Maryland is Allegheny. Their biggest prospect is a 6'6 wing named Demarcus Demonia. Fairly athletic late bloomer, who was named first team all conference. I know he has D1 offers, unsure of the level. His team lost in the first round. The MD state Juco player of the year was Alex Morales, who committed to Wagner.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago There is a JUCO team from MD with a Guard that appears to have Ty’s interest.
A Juco in Maryland or a kid from Maryland? The only JUCO from Maryland is Allegheny. Their biggest prospect is a 6'6 wing named Demarcus Demonia. Fairly athletic late bloomer, who was named first team all conference. I know he has D1 offers, unsure of the level. His team lost in the first round. The MD state Juco player of the year was Alex Morales, who committed to Wagner.
He looks very athletic here. Averaged about 21 pts and 11 rebounds. Only shoots 29% from 3 though. But VERY athletic.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

lmao at pipkins going to PC. that would go over real well with Duke and MAL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm hearing that Martin could play more 2 next year, so bringing in a juco wing could make sense.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote: 5 years ago lmao at pipkins going to PC. that would go over real well with Duke and MAL
maybe they realize Duke isn't a PG and I don't think they care what MAL thinks.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That kid is LANKY. Looks more like 6'8.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Another kid, Tre Wood, leaving Umass. The real question is are their any Keaney Bluers who can still stroke it from deep and handle the rock? If so you may be able to get some burn at Umass next season. Good grief.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Another kid, Tre Wood, leaving Umass. The real question is are their any Keaney Bluers who can still stroke it from deep and handle the rock? If so you may be able to get some burn at Umass next season. Good grief.
I can still shoot like hell and handle the ball. But I can't run or jump anymore. Think they'll take me?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Another kid, Tre Wood, leaving Umass. The real question is are their any Keaney Bluers who can still stroke it from deep and handle the rock? If so you may be able to get some burn at Umass next season. Good grief.
I can still shoot like hell and handle the ball. But I can't run or jump anymore. Think they'll take me?
Same here, my shot also looks like hell
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
This was known. That is why Edwards participated in Senior Night as did Holt who will not be back (freeing up another scholly).
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Same here, my shot also looks like hell
:lol: (assuming that was meant to be humorous.)
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Remember the days in the NBA when you could bring a player in to shoot technical free throws. How does that sound????
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I'm hearing that Martin could play more 2 next year, so bringing in a juco wing could make sense.
Can’t wait to see Jeff go from a two time starting PG on tournament winning teams to starting at the 3 his senior year.

(Joking obviously.)

For the love of God I hope I’m joking.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I like the idea of Martin playing more at the two. Of course then what do you do with Fatts? Would he be amenable to coming off the bench as a six man/spark plug? Something tells me he would excel at it. Being the six man you could ride him when he’s hot and sit him when he’s not. Of course we don’t know how Hammond, Long, Madding, and Walker fit into the mix. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. The one thing that certain though, is we should have good depth. We could be nine or 10 men deep and we still have one more scholarship open. That should be good news.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I'm hearing that Martin could play more 2 next year, so bringing in a juco wing could make sense.
Can’t wait to see Jeff go from a two time starting PG on tournament winning teams to starting at the 3 his senior year.

(Joking obviously.)

For the love of God I hope I’m joking.
Insert scared face here -----> _____________
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I see Martin as a straight 3, but that’s me. He’s a much better rebounder and finisher around the hoop than he is a ball handler and passer - not that he’s bad at those things, just not what I’d identify as his strengths. You can play him in the backcourt if you need to in a pinch, but both our guards handle the ball a lot and I think you’re better if you can play him off the ball and design offense around getting him the ball in position to score - he’s really the only guy you have that you can count on to score at all three levels so I’d prefer not to obligate him to play so far from the basket.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I don’t think Cox is going to shift Martin into starting at the 2 or make him a primary ball handler. I think the idea of moving him to the 2 is to spell Fatts and JD.
If they go to a big line up using any of CL, JH, Walker, Tate or maybe even Mading up front, you’ll have the option to shift him down. Versatility is a good thing. You could also probably see Tate play more 3 since you’ll have options up front.
When was the last time we had 5 guys that were 6’7 or taller??
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I see Martin as a straight 3, but that’s me. He’s a much better rebounder and finisher around the hoop than he is a ball handler and passer - not that he’s bad at those things, just not what I’d identify as his strengths. You can play him in the backcourt if you need to in a pinch, but both our guards handle the ball a lot and I think you’re better if you can play him off the ball and design offense around getting him the ball in position to score - he’s really the only guy you have that you can count on to score at all three levels so I’d prefer not to obligate him to play so far from the basket.
Can’t say I disagree but with the added depth and depending on the circumstances, you have to try to get the best match ups you can on the court. If we’re not being pressed we can afford to have one good ball handler on the floor at a time. If we are than two or three would be a good idea. But with Martin being able to play the two on occasion that gives us another dimension. Behind Jeff, he was the second best three point shooter on the team. Then again, everything could change depending upon the three freshmen and the transfer. If those guys earn playing time anything is possible.