2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Patriot League.

Good academics....plus they are in that league for football.

Makes a ton of sense....don't know why they haven't done it yet.

They will NEVER compete for an A10 title with that barn they play in.

If JN does bring in some talent, that talent will bolt before they could do anything.
Can the Fordham Women's Basketball Team that won the A10 Tournament and is playing in the NCAA request to stay in the A10 and the URI Women's Basketball team that is a perennial door mat go to the NEC?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pretty sure that's a no.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The big question is, will we be considered a NCAAT team next year by the media. Thoughts? Mine are we won't which will lead to a bad beginning NET.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Those two things are unrelated.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

What’s a beginning NET?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago What’s a beginning NET?
Who is number one NET? I mean someone has to be. So if Bryant wins their first game before anyone else in the country, they are NET 1?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago The big question is, will we be considered a NCAAT team next year by the media. Thoughts? Mine are we won't which will lead to a bad beginning NET.
.......for me, no.......not even on the bubble.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we will be picked to be 5th or 6th in conference...same as this season...with others expected to be better also there won't be much change.

Meaning not predicted to be an NCAA tourney team either.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Who is number one NET? I mean someone has to be. So if Bryant wins their first game before anyone else in the country, they are NET 1?
Efficiency factors into it, it isn’t just W-L, so technically it isn’t like half the teams would be tied for first and the other half would be tied for last if everyone played their first game on the first night. But the metric isn’t even released until later in the season, I believe, when there is enough “connectivity” for the rating to be worth anything (and even then, it’s value is marginal until much later in the season).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Efficiency factors into it, it isn’t just W-L, so technically it isn’t like half the teams would be tied for first and the other half would be tied for last if everyone played their first game on the first night. But the metric isn’t even released until later in the season, I believe, when there is enough “connectivity” for the rating to be worth anything (and even then, it’s value is marginal until much later in the season).
Efficiency? Like if Bryant wins their first two game against Grand Canyon and LIU-Brooklyn by 20? They would be good?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I mean...no? Like I just said, there isn’t even a NET rating until later, I believe. But for the sake of argument, let’s say the answer to that question is yes. Does that matter? Do you care?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also think that we won’t be in the NCAA conversation in the preseason.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

To where exactly?

UConn likely blocks an attempt to get in the AAC. Even then it's a minor step up if at all.

The Big East makes complete sense, but lord knows as long as there's a Gavitt somewhere still breathing it'll never happen
I'm not sure what the answer is but my point is more that you shouldn't be content in this conference. I think the A-10 is dying, similar to what happened with Conference USA 10-12 years ago. Your upside is going to be capped because of what you're competing against. I don't mean that as a put down at all, just stating my opinion. I think the administration should be striving for better if they are committed to consistently competing at a high level. Gonzaga is the exception, not the rule.

PCFriars,
You are right that the A10 has declined in Basketball recently. We lost some excellent Coaches over the past few years which is usual for the A10. Turnover of Head Coaches at Dayton, VCU, URI to very good offers in last couple of years. All 3 Schools will undoubtedly recover with Dayton and VCU better than expected this season.
Duquesne hired a solid HC in Keith Dambrot. New Head Coaches at Saint Louis and VCU have their teams in the NCAA this year.
You should be worried about your own Big East Conference as well as worrying about ours. I can't remember a year since it's existence that the Big East only had 1 team in the Top 25 and that is Villanova at only #23
The AAC outperformed the Big East with their 4 Teams average NCAA Seed = 7.5, Big East = 8.0. AAC Average NET was 28.7 much better than Big East Average NET of 46.0 for their 4 NCAA Selections

AAC NCAA Teams and Seeds
  • 3-Seed Houston Ranked #11, NET 4
  • 7-Seed Cincinnati Ranked #22, NET 25
  • 9-Seed UCF, NET 30
  • 11-Seed Temple, NET 56
Seeds Total = 3,7,9,11=30 Average Seed = 7.5
NET Total = 4,25,30,56 = 115 = 28.7 average NET
Memphis has a better NET= 46 was better than Seton Hall and Saint John's and did not get in. But watch out for Penny Hardaway's Memphis Team next season having recruited the top player in the Nation in 7 footer James Wiseman.
Dan Hurley recruited well for next season and should be knocking on the door for an NCAA Bid soon

BE NCAA Teams and Seeds
  • 5-Seed Marquette, NET 28
  • 6-Seed Villanova Ranked #23, NET 26
  • 10-Seed Seton Hall, NET 57
  • 11-Seed Saint Johns, NET 73
Seeds Total = 5,6,10,11=32 Average Seed = 8.0
NET Total = 28,26,57,73 = 184 = 46.0 average NET
Before this season started I mentioned in a thread to watch out for the AAC, they could catch up with the Big East. The closing of the gap has actually happened faster than I thought.

If I were you I'd be more worried about the Big East and when is Val Ackerman ever going to expand to 11 or 12 teams? What is she possibly waiting for? Big mistake in my opinion not to go above 10 teams
Also, Chris Mullins and Patrick Ewing hires still have the jury out. I'd think a conference like the BE could get higher caliber Coaching candidates than those two - but time will tell, I could be wrong

Then if I was the Big East and was watching how the AAC was gaining on me I'd be very concerned about this latest news, no?
Thanks again for worrying about us and coming to our board in person to share your concerns

I'd do the same on the PC Board but then banned me years ago :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am not stupid. I question where the Big East will be long term when the Fox contract is up in 4 more years. I would expect that the Big East and American flip flop 6th and 7th best conference depending on the year.

When the conference elects to go to 11, I think it will be Saint Louis that gets the call (which I am not a huge fan of).
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I dont know if Cyril langevine was playing around or not but he went on Instagram live a few weeks ago saying he has big news to tell his fans. And today I saw a instagram post about him in football gear and sorry for the change. Hoping it is a joke but wondering if anyone had any inside info.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Getting his in before the Monday deluge.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I am hoping that is the case I guess time will tell.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll remove him from the site header today I guess.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If you all don’t know by now, Cyril is a joker.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Every IG story I've ever seen of his...he's always kidding around or doing something like brushing his teeth, etc. April Fool's day is Monday after all.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah that's what I figured it was. But I'll admit it he got me. April fools ed me before it's even April lol. I know he is a jokester can remember the time he was a ramette for the womens game.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not that he wouldn't make a bad ass tight end..... we need his bad ass on the court.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We're all a little shy from the events of a certain April Fool's Day 20 years ago...
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Starting lineup/rotation next season?
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago We're all a little shy from the events of a certain April Fool's Day 20 years ago...
Agreed.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Starting lineup/rotation next season?
It’s hard to say when we’re still recruiting for two open spots. My guess starters don’t change unless Antwan pushes out Harris.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m almost positive that you will see the exact same starting lineup. The question is rotation and minutes distribution.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Would expect some combination of the below as far as depth chart is concerned. Maybe add a big or a shooter with the final scholarship.

G - Fatts - Sheppard
G - Dowtin - Thompson
F - Martin - Hammond - Long
F - Harris - Tate - Mading
F - Cyril - Walker

Doubt Cox wants to go 12 deep every game but it’s nice to have depth.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Next seasons practices are going to be like tryouts, everyone’s going to be fighting for that rotation with 12 guys. Should make them more competitive.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Would expect some combination of the below as far as depth chart is concerned. Maybe add a big or a shooter with the final scholarship.

G - Fatts - Sheppard
G - Dowtin - Thompson
F - Cyril - Walker

More like

PG & SG - Dowtin, Fatts & Sheppard
SF - Martin, Thompson & Tate
PF - Harris, Walker & Tate
C - Cyril, Walker

That’s a 9 man rotation.
Thompson isn’t playing any G
Some positionless basketball upfront.
It’s easier to estimate minutes per game than slot the positions.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I see guards and forwards only

Guards.....Dowtin, Russell, Thompson, Martin, Sheppard and Hammond

Forwards...Langevine, Harris, Tate, Walker, Mading, Long and the 13th player

I think Thompson and Martin can be in either category....maybe also Hammond....

I need to see Mading, Long, and Hammond in game conditions to properly slot them....Mading could be a guard....if he can't rebound and defend the front court
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago Would expect some combination of the below as far as depth chart is concerned. Maybe add a big or a shooter with the final scholarship.

G - Fatts - Sheppard
G - Dowtin - Thompson
F - Cyril - Walker

12 deep?

Has any coach done that ever? Of course he’s not going to play 12 guys nightly.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

VCU plays 11 guys. We will look to play 10-11 guys next season. If we want to go on a deep run, we need to be fresh come tourney time.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago

G - Fatts - Sheppard
G - Dowtin - Thompson
F - Cyril - Walker

12 deep?

Has any coach done that ever? Of course he’s not going to play 12 guys nightly.
That’s exactly what I was insinuating. You have 12 guys, Cox needs to determine the slots. Notice the word ‘doubt’.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think Fatts has to learn to be more efficient in drawing fouls when going to the hoop. Too many empty possessions when he drives to the hole. Does anyone know of a metric anywhere that measures his efficiency compared to others? I’d be interested to see how he measures up.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Harper of Auburn, who is 5’11”, really finishes well at the hoop. Regularly beating Kentucky’s rim protectors. I think Fatts is as fast and I hope is is taking notes on this performance.
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Harper of Auburn, who is 5’11”, really finishes well at the hoop. Regularly beating Kentucky’s rim protectors. I think Fatts is as fast and I hope is is taking notes on this performance.
I agree, Harper was quite impressive around the rim. Would be nice to see Fatts turn into something like that.

Other than the obvious shooting reps, Fatts just needs to work on his consistency, poise, mentality and on court demeanor. Which, is not something that can really be practiced. I know there are plenty of doubters and people who will disagree, but I expect a major leap from Fatts next year. Though, I also expect a major leap from Harris and Martin as well. I already like Tyrese's game a lot. Maybe that's just me being a homer and overly optimistic though.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m bullish on Martin as well. Needs to work on his ball handling and being more assertive, but in our league a 6’6” athletic wing who can shoot and drive it is a big time matchup problem. If he can develop his ball handling and can slide between the 2 and 3 he will make us hard to guard.
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

I completely agree with you BAR. Martin's only real weakness seemed to be his handle, and it wasn't even that bad. Would love to see him be more aggressive next year looking for his shot or the drive. But I think he's going to at least be a very solid player for the next 3 years. His defense alone will keep him on the court more often than not.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some thoughts about posts above.

What defines a rotation?
VCU had 7 players who averaged 10 minutes+. Was Omar part of Rhody’s rotation this year (he avg 8 minutes).
The top team with a large rotation was Houston. They had 10 players who averaged 10 minutes+ with 7 players averaging 14 minutes +.
Thompson and Martin will not play SG for more than 10 minutes the entire year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Next years rotation IMHO:

PG Fatts
PG/SG Dowtin
SG/SF Martin
PF/C (Much Improved uninjuried) Harris
C The Man Child Cyril

Bench:
Sheppard PG/SG
Thompson SG/SF
Tate SF/PF
Walker PF

FR Rotation:
Long, Mading, Hammond TBD on PT I think Long has most short term potential.

Very legit 9 deep, could be more if Fresman surprise and we pick up another legit player. These are good times!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good to have some depth

I like a solid 9 man rotation mostly
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sounds like TJ might have got bad news about the promotion.....
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Sounds like TJ might have got bad news about the promotion.....
Meaning??
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Boy, there's more teasing done here then the Foxy.
GO RAMS
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Sounds like TJ might have got bad news about the promotion.....
Meaning??
TJ, who doesn't tweet very often, tweeted "No need for me!!!" today. TJ is the DBO, there is an open Assistant Coach position, ...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If they don’t promote TJ then hopefully they have someone really good lined up. He seemed like a good candidate to me, although between him and Ty not sure you have a super strong second assistant between them. I’d hope he’d consider another year as DBO, although I’m sure he feels he’s ready to be a proper assistant coach.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cant help but feel like we would be dumb to lose him right now.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox needs a younger vet on staff. Not a first time coach. I love TJ, but he needs to cut his teeth at a lower level school first.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I disagree
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

To each his own. Cox needs more time under his belt. He needs to ensure his own success.