1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 1/16|St. Bonaventure Bonnies|6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by PeteRI »

4 guys in double figures. I called it. :mrgreen:
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

T Martin play at the 8 m mark and the follow on Fatts missed layup is big time D1 hoops.

Huge
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Trouble closing again.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The recipe for URI going forward is get 4 guys in double figures, and those 4 are most likely to be Fatts, Martin, Dowtin and Langevine, but another guy (Harris, Tate) could definitely do it. It’s tougher than it sounds, because Jeff has to look to score enough but not too much, Fatts has to not take 23 shots, Martin has to assert himself and Cyril is going to have to attack the offensive glass while staying out of foul trouble - all at the same time.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Trouble closing again.
? Huh ?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

We are has Harris been? Haven’t seen him in a while.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Fatts took 11 shots......less is more....according to Steve...
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Fatts playing well changes everything for this team.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thank god Christion held the ball there and didn’t hand it off to good FT shooter....

That’s the kind of thing that seems small because it doesn’t impact the outcome, but I see a guy who is supposed to be a veteran leader on the team doing something that is selfish (trying to pad his stats) rather than doing what is right for the team. I was and have been a big “don’t forget about Thompson!” guy, but I haven’t loved what I’ve seen from him lately.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

YES RHODY !!!!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The recipe for URI going forward is get 4 guys in double figures, and those 4 are most likely to be Fatts, Martin, Dowtin and Langevine, but another guy (Harris, Martin) could definitely do it. It’s tougher than it sounds, because Jeff has to look to score enough but not too much, Fatts has to not take 23 shots, Martin has to assert himself and Cyril is going to have to attack the offensive glass while staying out of foul trouble - all at the same time.
Tonight we had more assists than 3 point attempts, I think that is the formula for success for this team.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Thank god Christion held the ball there and didn’t hand it off to good FT shooter....

That’s the kind of thing that seems small because it doesn’t impact the outcome, but I see a guy who is supposed to be a veteran leader on the team doing something that is selfish (trying to pad his stats) rather than doing what is right for the team. I was and have been a big “don’t forget about Thompson!” guy, but I haven’t loved what I’ve seen from him lately.
He looked really uninspired today. I’d shave even more of his minutes after today.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Martin really starting to step forward as a future star, but where is Harris? I’m starting to think this is going to be a lost year for him between injuries, fouls, opportunities and adjusting to the college game. The progress of Martin and Tate is a good sign for next year
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Closed. It wasn’t pretty but I’ll take it. Made most of our free throws.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago Martin really starting to step forward as a future star, but where is Harris? I’m starting to think this is going to be a lost year for him between injuries, fouls, opportunities and adjusting to the college game. The progress of Martin and Tate is a good sign for next year
Harris will show up come February - Mark it down.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago The recipe for URI going forward is get 4 guys in double figures, and those 4 are most likely to be Fatts, Martin, Dowtin and Langevine, but another guy (Harris, Martin) could definitely do it. It’s tougher than it sounds, because Jeff has to look to score enough but not too much, Fatts has to not take 23 shots, Martin has to assert himself and Cyril is going to have to attack the offensive glass while staying out of foul trouble - all at the same time.
Tonight we had more assists than 3 point attempts, I think that is the formula for success for this team.
......and the defense better.....now THAT is Rhody Basketball....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Trouble closing again.
? Huh ?
We let them stick around far too long.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......will sleep better tonite, coffee will taste better tomorrow, will walk the beach with gusto tomorrow, wife will look better,......ya know.....?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Thank god Christion held the ball there and didn’t hand it off to good FT shooter....

He looked really uninspired today. I’d shave even more of his minutes after today.
Anyone else starting to think we will have another open spot for a transfer or graduate transfer? Just doesn’t feel like Thompson will be here next year.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Anyone else starting to think we will have another open spot for a transfer or graduate transfer? Just doesn’t feel like Thompson will be here next year.
[/quote
......Yatzee....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Only took 13 threes. Much better.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree on Thompson....he could be done....

Yup, when Fatts plays like that we're good. Nice to see.

Martin will be a stud. Tate will be very good. Harris will get it eventually, and when he does, we take a big step forward as a team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......will sleep better tonite, coffee will taste better tomorrow, will walk the beach with gusto tomorrow, wife will look better,......ya know.....?
105, evidently your wife doesn't read your posts? Ha ha.....
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Harris needs to play more, Thompson less.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Harris needs to play more, Thompson less.
........yes, if healthy, if not let’s nurse him along, some meaningful minutes, learn not to foul.....slow growth in learning his role.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Agreed - gotta get JH going here
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Issue is, if Cyril, Martin, and Tate are playing well, it's limiting his minutes to a degree. Fouls and injury don't help either.

Especially when Fatts and Dowtin are both in the game.

Going to take some time....I see a huge jump for Harris next year.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Now, can they do it two times in a row?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Now, can they do it two times in a row?
.......yes, spit the taste of Mason loss, done.......now go on the road......take advantage of the confidence game into Philly, beat LaSalle and climb, scratch, claw toward the top of A-10......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago What are we going to blame Cyril missing FT’s on today? The temperature in the gym? His shoes tied to tight? Staff’s fault? Let me know, just want to know what theory we are going with today.
weight lifting :lol:
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Harris is fine, played outstanding defense at times tonight. Still adjusting a bit to pace of mid major hoops but getting better quickly.

No worries. He’ll get it.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am with you on CT. I saw a couple of times that he could have taken a charge and did not.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I’d have to pull some tape of previous seasons but CL shooting stroke looks fine. I think his timing is off he seems to rise into the foul shot and then releases the ball late after his legs have completely straightened out. I think it’s a easy fix for the staff tho I can’t say I’ve seen the ball rotation clearly enough either on TV or from the 3 level in person.

It certainly needs to be looked at from a technique perspective but he’s not a total mess in my opinion.

Also fixable it ain’t “rocket surgery”

:)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good game, great time tonight, nice to hang out w/rudder for a while. Re: Fatts at the point...as long as he's not thinking shoot first, I think he's fine there. Saves a little of JD's energy and also gets him some better shooting looks.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

..... could be shoes tied too tight tho a perfectly workable theory

:mrgreen:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need Fatts to be really good at the point, because there's a good chance he will be the main PG after Jeff leaves.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Good game tonight. Fatts seemed to be reigned in on the 3 ball. Which worked out well. He is best sneaking into the lane for buckets. Our section 211 was yelling at Dana to shoot it when the clock was at 2 and he chucked a prayer 3 and made it. That was awesome. Fun time tonight. Martin has game.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Attendance?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Attendance?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the message got thru to them tonight....except for CT...…Fatts please don't revert to hero ball now.....

Defense let up some in the 2nd half....Bonnies got hot after missing everything early on.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Good game tonight. Fatts seemed to be reigned in on the 3 ball. Which worked out well. He is best sneaking into the lane for buckets. Our section 211 was yelling at Dana to shoot it when the clock was at 2 and he chucked a prayer 3 and made it. That was awesome. Fun time tonight. Martin has game.
Don K mentioned that on the post game...said when he got the ball, everyone on that side of the court was yelling "shoot" and he turned, fired it up and somehow it went in.

Nice job Sec 211!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago We need Fatts to be really good at the point, because there's a good chance he will be the main PG after Jeff leaves.
I’d prefer two years of Dowtin at PG rather than Fatts for his senior year.

Tyrese Martin is going to be on the better players in recent memory when all is said and done.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Cox irate with refs. Not sure why. Call against Cyril seemed legit.
Assuming I'm thinking of the right play, Cyril was behind the play, by the cheerleaders holding his eye area. Bonaventure got the ball and got it quickly to one of their players who was also behind the play and it set up a situation where a hurt Cyril was one on one with a Bonaventure player and either had to surrender an uncontested basket or foul the incoming player. Cox was rightfully upset that after two plays were blown dead for apparent Bonaventure injuries, including a URI breakaway, our injury didn't generate the same courtesy from the referee
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

An earlier post described CT's play tonight as uninspired. I was at the game and watched him a lot and that is a perfect word for how he played. For the life of me I do not see how he got 25 minutes tonight. When he got the technical he should have been sent to the bench for the rest of the game. Also, based on what I have seen this year his defense is over rated. I like Martin's defense and he is a better rebounder.
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Some takeaways after tonight
I’m coming around to others thoughts on CT. I have been thinking since the beginning of the season he could be the second coming of Stan. I am now leaning towards no. After tonight- a big no. Stan had times when he wasn’t fully engaged, but CT spent most of his time tonight in that twilight zone of I just don’t care. So disappointing. Like he curled up in a ball after his demotion from the starting lineup. I was surprised to see him have so many minutes towards the end of the game when he was playing so poorly. But when I saw JH limping into the tunnel post game below me with what looked to be a quad injury, it made a little more sense. Until he gets his head back on straight, 12 minutes is about all we can take of him. My brother leaned over to me mid game to say CTs attitude is a poison to this team.

We got beat on 3 or 4 skip passes for 3 again tonight. We need to fix this problem. It’s easy to scout because we cheat to the paint beyond a recoverable distance.

Weak side rebounding on the defensive end continues to be a problem. I have never seen a team be so consistently unable to get position and box out. Put an ass on somebody. Please.

Fatts was tenacious on D tonight. A lot of guys were. From the first bell. CL diving on the floor set the tone.

TM has a nose for the ball. Great awareness of where he needs to be in spacing tends to help him with timing on put backs. He will be fun to watch for years to come

JH is going to be fine. He is hurt number one, but he is a little spastic and excitable still which means his body doesn’t quite go where he wants it to go. Still believe he and CL could use a assistant coach like Antonio Reynolds Dean to provide accelerated guidance and training

David Cox was quick to pull guys for dumb mistakes or poor effort.

Looking forward to February
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Really appreciated Coach Cox's comments in the postgame. He said he's a "truth-teller" and told his players what he expected of them. I'm confident that he is going to be a successful coach here.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Back from the game. We were sitting low in Sec 205. Got to observe Coach Cox. A lot of screaming at the players about defense and stupid turnovers. When they were scoring late in the first half someone blew a defensive coverage. He immediately called a time out and lit into them. His first words were “that is not acceptable”. I think he has decided that he has to play more bad cop and get into the players. I welcome it. I thought they all played hard defensively. Cox is going to demand a high level of defense. Defense carries teams through tough scoring stretches.

This team does struggle offensively. They clearly need Fatts to create. Fatts had a great game tonight. 6-9 FG, 1-2 3PT & 5-6 FT. He had 5 assist. Needs to cut down on turnovers (4).

The team needs to cut down on turnovers (16). It seemed like more than 16. Not sure if they counted the 3 offensive fouls as turnovers but they should. Cyril struggled at the beginning when back to the basket - 2 turnovers, offensive foul & missed FG in the team’s first 8 possessions. He did much better facing the basket. His best offense was off great feeds from Jeff & Fatts.

Martin should never come out of starting lineup again. Less time for Thompson and more for Harris. Harris needs more touches on offense. When Thompson subbed for Martin 5 minutes into the first half Martin hadn’t touched the ball on offense (why).
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice win I thought we played really well late in the 1h and 2h was so so

Fatts played in control which is what we need

Martin moves in the starting lineup and scores 18 keep giving this kid 30 minutes per night
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Assistant coaches try to be good cops with players and this is what makes the transition from assistant to head coach difficult. It is good to see that Cox is finally getting in the face of players when needed and not coddling players. He needs to stop saying "this loss is on me" to protect the feelings of players. I have no problem in a coach saying "we all have to do a better job".
- Coaches need to motivate players to get better.
- Progress comes from hard work and not magical thinking. Who is the role model on this team?
- It is Cyril who needs to be concerned about his FT shooting and work on it.
- Harris has to learn how to play more aggressive while not fouling. Don't play him when he is tired.
- Cox substituted more frequently against SBU and should continue doing so.
- Martin is an opportunistic scorer and is always hustling.
- Tate has not developed an identity as a basketball player. Has Cox given him a role for now?
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s always amazing to me how much fans fetishize adults “getting in the faces” of and yelling at the teenagers that they coach. Accountability is important, but if you can get there without the histrionics, that’s fine with me, too.