Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by twisted3829 »

https://www.sny.tv/rutgers/news/rutgers ... /166897352

according to this, it could be interesting this time
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wait,

Tim Cluess is not the target??????
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So far DH has been a promise keeper and has not told a lie.

I have no reason to expect that will change.

Rutgers is a train wreck and was rarely good in the A10.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Hopefully they'll hire someone soon so we can stop seeing these BS articles pop up.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So this is saying another million dollars could lure Hurley into inheriting another dumpster fire and not win for probably 3 or 4 more years?
I don't think there's much of a possibility he throws away EVERYTHING he's built here, the culture, the relationships ; a new home for a 1-18 Rutgers shit storm.
Other than the fact that they're in the Big Ten I don't see how it would be that much better of an opportunity. We have a better basketball tradition. All they know at Rutgers is what it's like to be everyone's punching bag. Besides jersey sucks and Rutgers is an ugly name.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hopefully the Rutgers Top Brass will read the Keaney Blue Board threads most notably for games that we lost :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Dan Hurley would be an absolute home run for Rutgers," one Division 1 coach said.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Seems like it'd be a pretty short sighted decision to go to Rutgers. He'd make more money but if he can't fix the Rutgers program then he'd be taking a huge step backwards with his career. Where he stands now is a couple NCAA tournament appearances at URI and he'll have much better job offers that don't require rebuilding.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nowhere to go but up............
If anyone can turn around Rutgers it DH IMHO

Big Ten Conf All
Indiana (10) 15-3 25-6
Michigan St. (2) 13-5 26-5
Purdue (13) 12-6 24-7
Maryland (18) 12-6 24-7
Iowa (20) 12-6 21-9
Wisconsin 12-6 20-11
Ohio St. 11-7 19-12
Michigan 10-8 20-11
Northwestern 8-10 20-11
Penn St. 7-11 16-15
Nebraska 6-12 15-17
Illinois 5-13 14-18
Minnesota 2-16 8-23
Rutgers 1-17 7-25
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

josephski wrote:Seems like it'd be a pretty short sighted decision to go to Rutgers. He'd make more money but if he can't fix the Rutgers program then he'd be taking a huge step backwards with his career. Where he stands now is a couple NCAA tournament appearances at URI and he'll have much better job offers that don't require rebuilding.
Exactly. I really don't think Dan is interested in another rebuild. Unless he wants to be back in Jersey that much and spend another 5 years losing. It makes much more sense to jump to a program in much better shape after success here. The offers will be there when the time comes...

This annual "X program targets Dan Hurley" speculation gets tiring after a while.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ugh!
Did everyone think John Wooden should have gone
back to Indiana, because he was born there?
Or Bobby Knight should have gone back to Ohio,
or Coach K should go back to Chicago?
These are grown men in the career they chose.
Running back home (sorry Big Ed) seems a strange
reason, at this stage of life, to go job hunting.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Ram1019 wrote:
josephski wrote:Seems like it'd be a pretty short sighted decision to go to Rutgers. He'd make more money but if he can't fix the Rutgers program then he'd be taking a huge step backwards with his career. Where he stands now is a couple NCAA tournament appearances at URI and he'll have much better job offers that don't require rebuilding.
Exactly. I really don't think Dan is interested in another rebuild. Unless he wants to be back in Jersey that much and spend another 5 years losing. It makes much more sense to jump to a program in much better shape after success here. The offers will be there when the time comes...

This annual "X program targets Dan Hurley" speculation gets tiring after a while.
One of the big issues for Rutgers is the constant turmoil surrounding the program, something that they are obviously trying to change. In the last 45 years, they have had 1 coach last longer than 5 years. With the kind of rebuild that is required there, the question becomes, "Does the current administration have the patience to put up with the painful rebuild?" Because their history would suggest that they don't.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The last time Rutgers went to the NCAA tournament was also the year Dan graduated. From high school. Rutgers is even ten years removed from their last NIT appearance. The person, or people, that turns it around there will get all the accolades.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd get a little nervous if Zags wrote that Dan is the perfect fit and Rutgers #1 target....But, he has.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If he's doubling his salary, doesn't he have to consider it?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Money doesn't talk....it swears.....thank you Bob Dylan....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It must be March. Rutgers fires a coach and Dan's name gets mentioned.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

With EC red shirting this year, can he transfer and be eligible to play this coming season? If so can that be an inducement for Dan?
I personally don't think either will leave, but I've been surprised by other moves in the past.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Oh my god. I thought I quit this dumpster fire of a board for the time being.

Dan is not taking another rebuild. 2 million dollars in Jersey is 1 million dollars in RI. That's a flat salary jump. Everything costs more there. His youngest just entered high school. They don't want to move again. Family > everything else.

Dan wants to win. Dan will leave us at some point for a good to great program in a good to great position because a coach retired or left on good terms. He's not dealing with losing again. He's not leaving his kids here who are like a family before they've fulfilled any of his promises. He needs to get us to a VCU like level before he can make that Shaka like jump.

Dan is not going to Rutgers, but if these stories get more good things put in a contract to keep him happy here and add more to the program, I'm all for it.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

RAM67 wrote:With EC red shirting this year, can he transfer and be eligible to play this coming season? If so can that be an inducement for Dan?
I personally don't think either will leave, but I've been surprised by other moves in the past.

EC would have to sit out another year if he transferred. I cant see that happening. King rice from Monmouth would have to be the front runner for Rutgers.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i think it will be Masiello from Manhattan
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Manhattan had a terrible season.
Tim Cleuss is going to his 3rd NCAA
in five years with Iona,and went to an NIT the
other two.
King Rice has had three losing seasons
out of five and a sub .500 record at
Monmoth.
Gotta think Cleuss is a better catch than the other two.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

One name that would be an intriguing, out of the box hire but likely won't come up is Jay Larranaga of the Boston Celtics. Everyone know his dad is a hell of a coach and Jay has served as Brad Stevens right hand man in his time with the Celtics. The drawback is he has never coached at all in college basketball but he has grown up around it. Also, Larranaga could probably continue serving as Stevens #2 guy and eventually use it to land an NBA coaching gig.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Caller just called Francesa asking for Hurley
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just remembered.. The same caller said "Rutgers has to look north at buffalo and get Danny Hurley"

<speechless>
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My 2 cents here. I really doubt DH will take the Rutgers job, but if they overwhelm him with a huge offer, then not 100% sure.

I know they want him, but he doesn't have the success yet to warrant a 3 mil/yr with total control over the program that it might take to lure him away.....

Rutgers itself is hardly any step up from Rhody right now, but the league they play in is.

Personally I want to see Dan get us to the Dance the next 2 years. If he does, then URI will have to increase his deal big time to keep him at that point.

I don't see them doing that now. If Rutgers blows him away with an offer, I doubt there's anything URI can do about it.

If Dan wants URI to be like VCU, he needs to be here for at least several more years with steady NCAA invites. Not sure that's going to happen, him staying that long I mean.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

He has to do what is best for him and his family....if he can double his income he has to go....let's not be foolish about this.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous, let's hope it's not all about the money.

The quality of life here is way better than NJ. Dan is not a "bright lights of NY" type of guy either.

All indications are that his family loves it here. That has to count for something.

How much [money[ is enough?

Besides just money, if Dan thinks that there simply aren't enough resources at URI to accomplish what he wants to do in the long run, could that be a factor? Too many restrictions?

That's a background factor that could be very important.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had cut and pasted the April-2015 Projo story last year on Hurley's contract extension.

Key contract extension items:

Hurley stands to make a guaranteed $1 million per season by 2017-18, a raise from his 2014-15 compensation package of $630,000.

Should Hurley leave URI before the end of his deal, the school would have a nice head start on hiring its next coach. Improved buyout provisions in the contract call for a one-time payment of $1 million after the next two seasons, a one-time payment of $1.2 million between the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons or a one-time payment of $500,000 after the 2020-21 season. Hurley — with the backing of any potential school wishing to hire him — would be personally responsible for coming up with the cash.

Link:
http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150409924
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The whole thing is foolish. To what win the Big10 over the schools that basically fall into position every year?

To make money? ok. To move home? ok.

But Dan Hurley isn't going to help Rutgers. 6 years college coaching? 408 NCAA bids since then. DH 0.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: But Dan Hurley isn't going to help Rutgers. 6 years college coaching? 408 NCAA bids since then. DH 0.
Yep, the fact that he didn't get that Mike Powell, Nikola Malesevic and Ryan Brooks led 2012 team to the tournament is a disgrace!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

zero.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't think Hurley's health and mental state could take another rebuild right now. You can see how losing has taken a big toll on Dan. He is very emotionally invested in his job. I don't think he leaves at this time for a big rebuild with several tough years ahead as is presently the case at Rutgers.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I do love the folks who minimize Cluess' 3 tournament bids in 5 years because of the conference he's in. Yet, Hurley can't get out of the first round of the A10's with 2 ESPN Top 100 recruits in the starting lineup.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Here's the deal. He's two seasons from his own rebuild here. These frosh and the ones coming in really aren't very compelling. Before going nuts, look at the offer lists of those six guys. He will weigh two million per for six years in the Big 10 vs. one or two runs with what should be an NCAA team. I'm not saying it's a total rebuild at Rhody but programs have lulls and that could be one. I don't think he'll go but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote:I do love the folks who minimize Cluess' 3 tournament bids in 5 years because of the conference he's in. Yet, Hurley can't get out of the first round of the A10's with 2 ESPN Top 100 recruits in the starting lineup.
How is your guy Andy Toole doing? Is Rutgers about to offer him?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote:
STC wrote:I do love the folks who minimize Cluess' 3 tournament bids in 5 years because of the conference he's in. Yet, Hurley can't get out of the first round of the A10's with 2 ESPN Top 100 recruits in the starting lineup.
The man can't have a down year after 4 straight 20 win seasons and a tournament berth?

Tell me again how Cooley and his soon to be 3 straight tournament bids sucks while Hurley is going out in the first round of the A10's...

By my count that makes 3 tournaments each for Cooley and Cluess versus 3 A10 first round exits...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The people who trash Cluess for his teams not playing defense are missing something.

His teams WIN, dammit! They play exciting fast paced offense, and if you do that, you can't play great defense!

He's getting the most out of his talent at the level his school plays at.

Are WE getting that?

Next season, I want to see us get our heads out of our asses and play faster on offense. Play to our players' strength's, not play a sleep inducing brand of basketball which doesn't suit us.

Dan has promised it. Of course he promised it this season, but it's understandable why it didn't happen.

What he's been doing isn't working. Time to try something different.

STC, the evidence is mounting that we may have a coach who is in over his head at this level.

Until he proves otherwise, that's what it looks like.

Anybody watch Green Bay win the Horizon tourney this week? That's what I would like to see from us!

One other thing: Is anybody trashing Bobby for his teams' lack of defense with Buffalo when they Danced? Didn't think so.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

I'd leave, that's for sure. I wouldn't want to have to deal with a lack luster fanbase/students who won't come out unless there's an "event" connected to the game like Valpo on ESPN. Hurley needs people who believe in him, like Blueman & Rod for instance, not people who come typing away on this message board who can't even dribble a ball let alone know what SLOB means in hoops terminology. I never post on this damn board, but I'm so sick and tired of all the BS you "fans" post saying this is happening because you're friends with the Hurley's. Most of the time it's total bullshit. Rutgers might not be up to snuff in terms of facilities, conference success, or stability on a university standing, but they at least have an AD who's passionate/driven to get success and throws the kitchen sink at Danny.

Enough is enough, there's nothing that any of us can do but donate if you haven't. $5, $50, $500, $5000. Every bit helps and could make us a real contender for the A10 every year. Oh and get your arses in the damn Ryan Center each home game!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote:
ramster wrote:
The man can't have a down year after 4 straight 20 win seasons and a tournament berth?

Tell me again how Cooley and his soon to be 3 straight tournament bids sucks while Hurley is going out in the first round of the A10's...

By my count that makes 3 tournaments each for Cooley and Cluess versus 3 A10 first round exits...
Right,
And tell me again how Hurley will not attract any P5 school offers because he hasn't prove himself yet.
How are your PC Season Tickets going? You must have loved that victory over Butler today.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

My previous post speaks for itself, ramster. Scoreboard.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Hurley stands to make a guaranteed $1 million per season by 2017-18, a raise from his 2014-15 compensation package of $630,000.

We better dance. I've had it with all the talk.
$1M. Course, there's no pressure in Piscataway...
And THREE TIMES the perks...
I know what I'd do...just sayin...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote:My previous post speaks for itself, ramster. Scoreboard.
Two first team preseason Coaches A10 All Conference selections sitting on the bench watching tonight's game.
Star point guard playing his heart out all season wearing a mask that no other player in NCAA history has ever worn
But, ok, I'll look at the scoreboard and wish I had Andy Toole or Tim Cluess here at URI instead of Dan Hurley, right.
When We win its always our players performances we rave about, never our Coaches contributions. We lose, its never our players lack of performance, it's always our Coaches fault.
Coaches can't win.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If you guys want some solid comedy, check this out.

Jay Wright.

I'm dying.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/2/11/109 ... rgan-Brown
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote:
Two first team preseason Coaches A10 All Conference selections sitting on the bench watching tonight's game.
Star point guard playing his heart out all season wearing a mask that no other player in NCAA history has ever worn
But, ok, I'll look at the scoreboard and wish I had Andy Toole or Tim Cluess here at URI instead of Dan Hurley, right.
When We win its always our players performances we rave about, never our Coaches contributions. We lose, its never our players lack of performance, it's always our Coaches fault.
Coaches can't win.
When did I say I would rather Cluess or Toole here? I've always maintained I believe in what Hurley is building. That doesnt make him above reproach.

Look, the numbers I posted earlier speak for themselves so I understand you would have to make stuff up.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You're right ramster. Coaches can't win.

But they can get fired.

Dan's a long way from that here, but the possibility exists down the road if we don't Dance.

That's what all the promises were for. That's why Dooley and Thorr went out of their way to bring him here.

I'm sure at this point they'll never say it, but they can't be too happy with what they've seen when it comes to close games, even with the injury factor.

What will they think, if DH flops next season, especially if we have a full roster with minimal injuries?

I just don't see DH all of a sudden becoming a great late game strategist. Even with our supposed talent next season, unless he does get a LOT better, we're still going to blow games, the question is how many?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....better players make a coach a better late game strategist....no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ah yes scoreboard. Like how we fucked up Iona last year and beat them this year with our best player out? Scoreboard indeed.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Ah yes scoreboard. Like how we fucked up Iona last year and beat them this year with our best player out? Scoreboard indeed.
URI should beat Iona.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:The people who trash Cluess for his teams not playing defense are missing something.

His teams WIN, dammit! They play exciting fast paced offense, and if you do that, you can't play great defense!

He's getting the most out of his talent at the level his school plays at.

Are WE getting that?

Next season, I want to see us get our heads out of our asses and play faster on offense. Play to our players' strength's, not play a sleep inducing brand of basketball which doesn't suit us.

Dan has promised it. Of course he promised it this season, but it's understandable why it didn't happen.

What he's been doing isn't working. Time to try something different.

STC, the evidence is mounting that we may have a coach who is in over his head at this level.

Until he proves otherwise, that's what it looks like.

Anybody watch Green Bay win the Horizon tourney this week? That's what I would like to see from us!

One other thing: Is anybody trashing Bobby for his teams' lack of defense with Buffalo when they Danced? Didn't think so.
I trash Cluess because his teams are great for the Maac but are a joke for real college basketball. How have his exciting offenses done against us the last two years? He just wins? Not against us and real competition. His teams are a joke. And I'd say you not understanding this would make you a joke, but you've been a joke for a long, long time now. You keep saying you're going to take a break from the board, when are you going to finally be a man of your word and make this place better by going? Maybe sit out a few months, study up and finally get a clue about what you're talking about.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

STC wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
URI should beat Iona.
Cool, so you're just being a troll. Cluess wins a garbage conference, scoreboard. Point out actual scores, scoreboard doesn't count.