Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by section(105) »

I did not know Holy Cross played at the Dunk the other nite, according to the Reynolds piece today, come on Bill, you're better than that sloppy mistake.......Also, I did not have much problem with Coolry and the Dunk wish for the annual game...but his comments about helping Gina's economy were just dumb....what an ass.....
Last edited by section(105) 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I hope the Ryan Center plays a special video montage of all big plays/dunks/steals/etc that happened against the Friars. Want to get the fans fired up.

GO RHODY!!!!
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URILamar wrote:Question is shutting down Dunn. He is a stud, but if we shut him down we got em.

You guys want to start talking some hoops or keep talking about how much we hate PC?

I am confused by your use of WE. Aren't you 94BEChamps from the PC Scout Board?

Link:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=13 ... 354075&p=4

94BEChamps
1173 posts this site
Posted: Today 9:34 AM
Re: Cooley on URI Game

I just created my account....look for URILamar to be mixing it up with the Cro-magnons.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

URILamar wrote:Question is shutting down Dunn. He is a stud, but if we shut him down we got em.

You guys want to start talking some hoops or keep talking about how much we hate PC?
Friar fans cant even troll right...

Hey, know why PC doesnt have an on campus arena? Because the fans dont know where the campus is
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Lol RF1 with the killer detective work. And according to URILamar/94BEChamps URI fans are the Neanderthals...

Better find another handle and cover your tracks better next time, Lamar!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Dude your pathetic, get a life.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He gone.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

"URILamar" has been removed.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Oh man TP I wish you'd let him stick around for a bit. Could've been fun
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I guess there could have been some cat-playing-with-a-mouse aspect to it, but I don't have the patience today.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Let's expect, a visit from URICuttino or URITyson soon.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seth Davis predicts a 70-69 victory for Rhody.
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

A few things about Cooley and Billy Reynolds column:

1) Cooley does know about the history of URI/PC. He was around in the 70's and 80's. He was there when the Big East was founded. He does know that they used to play twice a year. (I'm assuming if he didn't know then he could pick up his own school's media guide.)

2) Cooley is lying thru his teeth to say this is not a rivalry. When Cooley was at Central HS, PC was in the Pitino Era and then that was followed the Penders Era at URI. So he lived in this state when these two programs were at one of their highest points. There was a huge buzz around those games at that time, especially if you were a high school basketball player in the state. It was impossible not to know that it was and is a rivalry if you've grown up in RI. (Hurley could plead ignorance of the rivalry but not Cooley.)

3) Reynolds and the media are playing along with Cooley on this. How come he feels the game should be played at the Dunk? Did he feel this way when he was on staff at URI? Were the URI coaches in a meeting room, saying "Man, I love having to travel to PC's arena to play our home game. I hope they never have to come to Kingston."

4) If Cooley were telling the truth, then he'd know that playing this game at URI every other year actually benefits his program because having a road win (or loss, for that matter) helps his own team's RPI. That's why I'm happy that URI plays at Brown regularly. And I think PC should continue to play at Brown on a 2-for-1 basis if they have to. Playing road games is beneficial. It's much better than playing Hartford, Sacred Heart, etc. at home. On top of that, if the non-conference schedule is truly about getting your team ready for conference play, then what better way for PC to get ready for those stale, half-empty (Seton Hall, DePaul, GTown) Big East arenas then play in a hostile on-campus environment in the non-conference?!

5) The media should challenge Cooley to name PC's rival(s). Brown? I would say that every other Big East school has their own rival(s)...DePaul/Marquette (back in the day was great), Xavier/Butler (and Xavier/Cincy non-conf), Seton Hall/SJU, Nova/GTown. There isn't one school on PC's schedule who would consider PC a rival...other than URI. Of course, there's no mention of how the Big East killed many historic rivalries (PC vs. Holy Cross, URI vs. UCONN come to mind).

So clearly PC and URI are each other's biggest rivals. There's no denying it. And if Cooley truly cares about college basketball in this state, then he should acknowledge that fact. Otherwise, he's insulting both fan bases and the casual basketball fan.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

RF1 wrote:

I am confused by your use of WE. Aren't you 94BEChamps from the PC Scout Board?

Link:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=13 ... 354075&p=4

94BEChamps
1173 posts this site
Posted: Today 9:34 AM
Re: Cooley on URI Game

I just created my account....look for URILamar to be mixing it up with the Cro-magnons.

I don't know what's more pathetic - (poorly) trolling another team's message board or announcing it on your own board expecting some sort of pat on the back
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

The Dude wrote:I want Rhody to win. I will cheer and yell as much as my voice will allow.
I don't think Rhody will win or even make it close. I want to be wrong. I'm dying to be wrong. It's been years without a win against them. Based on what I saw in the Holly Cross game, I'm not encouraged. Rhody needs to enter the game with an attitude. They need to take it to PC and get them in foul trouble early. They need to put them on their heels from the beginning. They need to hit their free throws and they need to handle the ball better. If they can do all of that, they'll have a chance to win. It's a tall task.
The only way Rhody wins this game is if they play from start to finish with ice water in their veins. (In my opinion)
Go Rhody!
I agree with The Dude on this. The only time PC has been vulnerable this year is when Dunn is in foul trouble (I think he had 4 at the 7:03 mark against MSU) and without EC, we have nobody dynamic enough to get him in foul trouble. He can sag off Jared and Jarvis and let them shoot from the outside with little worry.

And Bentil is playing very well and if he gets Hassan and/or Watson in foul trouble early, we're done because that's our entire frontcourt. Iverson won't be able to handle him and I don't count Berry.

It's a rivalry no matter what Cooley says. Having been to 20+ PC/URI games, the crowd engagement is different than any other non-conference game for both teams. And they are ranked which should hopefully fire up the Ram fans in attendance.

Storming the court is fun. Let the kids play.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 8 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
'No Mercy.'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley is just talking $hit to get under the skin of the URI staff, players, and fans. I don't think he really believes one word that he is saying.

If PC doesn't want to play URI because it is in the "lowly" A-10, why then did he just schedule a home and home series with UMass?

If PC doesn't want to play at a smaller venue such as the Ryan Center, why then does he agree to play BC at the similar sized Conte Forum every other year?

If McNamara and Reynolds were true journalists, they would point out the hypocrisy of Cooley's comments as they relate to his actions.
kingstonmayor
Jim Eitner

Unread post by kingstonmayor »

Dunn was also in serous foul trouble against Arizona last Friday night. he only played 21 minutes and the Friars were able to hang around without him and then he went on a 10 point spurt in the final 2:30 by himself.

Fouls and turnovers was something that plagued him last year and he has cut down his turnovers this year but the new foul rules have seemed to hurt him early.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote:Cooley is just talking $hit to get under the skin of the URI staff, players, and fans. I don't think he really believes one word that he is saying.
I tend to agree. URILamar could learn a thing or two from Cooley's troll game.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:A few things about Cooley and Billy Reynolds column:

1) Cooley does know about the history of URI/PC. He was around in the 70's and 80's. He was there when the Big East was founded. He does know that they used to play twice a year. (I'm assuming if he didn't know then he could pick up his own school's media guide.)

2) Cooley is lying thru his teeth to say this is not a rivalry. When Cooley was at Central HS, PC was in the Pitino Era and then that was followed the Penders Era at URI. So he lived in this state when these two programs were at one of their highest points. There was a huge buzz around those games at that time, especially if you were a high school basketball player in the state. It was impossible not to know that it was and is a rivalry if you've grown up in RI. (Hurley could plead ignorance of the rivalry but not Cooley.)

3) Reynolds and the media are playing along with Cooley on this. How come he feels the game should be played at the Dunk? Did he feel this way when he was on staff at URI? Were the URI coaches in a meeting room, saying "Man, I love having to travel to PC's arena to play our home game. I hope they never have to come to Kingston."

4) If Cooley were telling the truth, then he'd know that playing this game at URI every other year actually benefits his program because having a road win (or loss, for that matter) helps his own team's RPI. That's why I'm happy that URI plays at Brown regularly. And I think PC should continue to play at Brown on a 2-for-1 basis if they have to. Playing road games is beneficial. It's much better than playing Hartford, Sacred Heart, etc. at home. On top of that, if the non-conference schedule is truly about getting your team ready for conference play, then what better way for PC to get ready for those stale, half-empty (Seton Hall, DePaul, GTown) Big East arenas then play in a hostile on-campus environment in the non-conference?!

5) The media should challenge Cooley to name PC's rival(s). Brown? I would say that every other Big East school has their own rival(s)...DePaul/Marquette (back in the day was great), Xavier/Butler (and Xavier/Cincy non-conf), Seton Hall/SJU, Nova/GTown. There isn't one school on PC's schedule who would consider PC a rival...other than URI. Of course, there's no mention of how the Big East killed many historic rivalries (PC vs. Holy Cross, URI vs. UCONN come to mind).

So clearly PC and URI are each other's biggest rivals. There's no denying it. And if Cooley truly cares about college basketball in this state, then he should acknowledge that fact. Otherwise, he's insulting both fan bases and the casual basketball fan.
Good post.

Last night, totally by mistake, I caught the end of the Coach's Show on the radio. I kept it on since we're playing them next.
John Rooke gave Cooley a chance to explain his comments. Cooley said that he fully understands the importance of this game to the fans. However, he didn't feel that this game defined either program's season (my words).
He went on to say that when he said the game should always be played in Providence, what he meant is that he wants EVERY game PC plays to be at the Dunk.
I got the impression that Rooke wasn't even
buying it.

I only hope our guards can back peddle as well tomorrow night.
kingstonmayor
Jim Eitner

does every team need to have a rival?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

kingstonmayor wrote:does every team need to have a rival?
Share with us your opinion. You seem to have detailed information regarding Chris Dunn's recent performances and tendencies.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

1) No, you don't need a rival. You just need to win the games on your schedule. Having a rival or two certainly makes things more fun and interesting for all parties. (That's what makes the Big Five so special.) But you don't need a rival.

Regarding ramfan85 and what you heard...
2) Sounds like Cooley is just making up stuff as he goes along. "He wants every game at the Dunk." What kind of asinine statement is that? Does that include all Big East games? He wants all non-conference games at the Dunk? No road games ever? No neutral site games ever? Just a plain stupid comment...and does nothing to clarify his previous comment that he doesn't want to play in Kingston.

Nobody is saying the game "defines URI's season" or "defines PC's season." I have never heard a fan, player or coach say that beating their rival defined their season. A win may take the bitterness away of a disappointing season, may make great a memory, add to lore and history of the series...but no 1 win or 1 loss defines a season. (If Navy loses to Army this year, does that mean that Navy's season was bad and Army's was good?) That's why you play a season-long schedule. A program's season is defined by the record at the end of season. Period.

Again, I would challenge Cooley and the PC administration to name their rival on their schedule.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:1) No, you don't need a rival. You just need to win the games on your schedule. Having a rival or two certainly makes things more fun and interesting for all parties. (That's what makes the Big Five so special.) But you don't need a rival.

Regarding ramfan85 and what you heard...
2) Sounds like Cooley is just making up stuff as he goes along. "He wants every game at the Dunk." What kind of asinine statement is that? Does that include all Big East games? He wants all non-conference games at the Dunk? No road games ever? No neutral site games ever? Just a plain stupid comment...and does nothing to clarify his previous comment that he doesn't want to play in Kingston.

Nobody is saying the game "defines URI's season" or "defines PC's season." I have never heard a fan, player or coach say that beating their rival defined their season. A win may take the bitterness away of a disappointing season, may make great a memory, add to lore and history of the series...but no 1 win or 1 loss defines a season. (If Navy loses to Army this year, does that mean that Navy's season was bad and Army's was good?) That's why you play a season-long schedule. A program's season is defined by the record at the end of season. Period.

Again, I would challenge Cooley and the PC administration to name their rival on their schedule.

He did include (laughing) Villanova and Georgetown as teams he ALWAYS wanted to play at the Dunk.
I guess he's the only coach that wants EVERY game to be at home. Truly, a strange statement.
kingstonmayor
Jim Eitner

in college basketball there are really only a handful of BIG time rivalries that are well established and well known across the country.

Duke and Carolina
Kentucky and Louisville
Ohio State and Michigan (due to football)
Georgetown and Syracuse

now this isn't to say, that for instance Xavier and Dayton isn't a rivalry between fan bases. I'm sure that Fordham thinks they have a rivalry with St. John's and Saint Joe's and La Salle think they have one with Villanova along with Ole Miss thinking they have one with Kentucky and so on and so forth with teams that play great games once a year. PC and URI is a rivalry within the state, but outside of it, only to big time college basketball fans.

so depending on who Cooley's audience was, it can be looked at both ways. It is a huge game for both teams. A loss would drop PC out of the Top 25 (which they would most likely be in until conference play with a win) and a win would be a huge confidence boost for URI and be recognized THIS year because of the spotlight on Dunn.

no matter what we feel, the big time outlets and media will not be focused on the "rivalry" game between PC and URI but moreso the game itself and the outcome. the "rivalry" game that will be talked about is the Georgetown v. Syracuse game.

for Rhode Islanders it is the Quahog Cup, for others, it is just another game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Who cares what people outside of Rhode Island think about it? What kind of criteria is that? How many people outside of Oregon care about Oregon/Oregon St.? That is not a good (or even reasonable) way of measuring a rivalry.
kingstonmayor
Jim Eitner

both Hurley and Cooley want their schools to be a "national" program, so both should care what people outside the state feel.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Kevin McNamara asked Cooley again yesterday after practice about the rivalry...

Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The correct rivalry is Xavier vs Cincy
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Solid, spot on, stuff from Chris as usual.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, DiSano touched on all the finer points to monitor during the game. He's pretty good as a hoop analyst, eh?

Meanwhile, Students have been reminded (warned?) to get their wristbands EARLY tomorrow or else no entry.

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

kingstonmayor wrote:so depending on who Cooley's audience was, it can be looked at both ways. It is a huge game for both teams. A loss would drop PC out of the Top 25 (which they would most likely be in until conference play with a win) and a win would be a huge confidence boost for URI and be recognized THIS year because of the spotlight on Dunn.
Cooley was speaking to the RI media, so the people of RI were his audience. In that light his statements were on the fraudulent side.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

Guys, come on here, use your noggins a bit. Cooley damn well knows the importance of this game. The problem is he has the 3rd youngest team in the NCAA, he absolutely has to keep downplaying this as just another game. They get as hyped as I'm sure he is inside and these freshman and sophomores will completely lay an egg.

None of this is put out there to rile up the Rams or their fans, it might just do that but he hasn't said one negative about Hurley, the team or the fans. Don't be so damn sensitive.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

FriarJ, that is a reasonable explanation. The other comments about wanting to play all his games at the Dunk are what really make him sound silly.
kingstonmayor
Jim Eitner

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
kingstonmayor wrote:so depending on who Cooley's audience was, it can be looked at both ways. It is a huge game for both teams. A loss would drop PC out of the Top 25 (which they would most likely be in until conference play with a win) and a win would be a huge confidence boost for URI and be recognized THIS year because of the spotlight on Dunn.
Cooley was speaking to the RI media, so the people of RI were his audience. In that light his statements were on the fraudulent side.

yes, true but with the national spotlight on Dunn, there are always national media members there and with Twitter today, words travel fast.
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

ATPTourFan wrote:FriarJ, that is a reasonable explanation. The other comments about wanting to play all his games at the Dunk are what really make him sound silly.
I agree, I'm not sure what that is all about. he's a unique cat though so who knows. After the egg the team laid with a hyped crowd against Dayton in the NCAA's I expect we will see more of this for this team this year.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramfan85 wrote:Let's expect, a visit from URICuttino or URITyson soon.
URILamar5 maybe?
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

STC wrote:If URI wins this Saturday our student section better not rush the court.
So pride > fun ?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So as far as basketball strategy goes, most experts like DiSano (and Dan Hurley himself) believe it must be a game where EITHER

1) Let Dunn be a scorer all by himself for better and for worse

OR

2) Try to limit Dunn's impact and take your chances with others who may be affected by the environment.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

If you told me Dunn would get 30 pts, 7 rebs, 5 asst, 5 TOs I would take that right now. I worry more about him getting 17 pts, 12 rebs, 11 assts, 3 TOs.
Umassfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Umassfan »

First time poster. I enjoy A-10 basketball in general and usually peak around the different boards throughout the season. Hopefully you guys can get a nice win over the private school that thinks they are so much better than everyone else. Very similar to the Umass-BC games where they have the elitist attitude when they are the better team. You just have to beat them a few years in a row and they back down. BC wont even schedule Umass anymore because of this reason. Would also like to add a few things to what were discussed.

1. The Ryan Center and the Dunk are not even comparable venues. Ryan Center is a 100X better atmosphere and its an overall great place to enjoy a college basketball game.

2. Dunn is a hell of a player and is not going to be easy to stop. Think one of the keys to the game is to get him into early foul trouble obviously.

3. I think the winner of the game is the team in which stays more composed. Not only the players, but its not hidden that both Hurley and Cooley can lose there tempers rather easily and let the emotions get the best of them. Will be very important for each coach to not absolutely lose it when a call or two goes the other way.

Best of luck and beat the tar out of the private school
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

SF2010, yeah. Can't have the entire Friar team feeling good.

Rhody needs to protect the basketball, which they've done this week against inferior competition.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg weigh in

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Anyone going to the mews pre-game ?

I hope to get there 4ish to watch some of the Alabama/FLA game
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

This is the biggest game of Dan's career. He absolutely needs this one. Not only would it be a solid win for the Rams, but Cooley has owned URI. Hurley can not afford to go 0-4 vs Cooley. It is desperation time for him and his guys, and you know the more talented Friars will be ready to play...going to be interesting. Should be a close one.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

URI opened as 4 point favorites at some places. Went down to 3 within about an hour. Gotta love some of the posts saying we have almost no chance of winning when Vegas has us the favorite.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

El Diablo wrote:This is the biggest game of Dan's career.
Now this is silly .....
Slava Ukraini!