Tom Penders fired up about Rhody's Marketing

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Tom Penders fired up about Rhody's Marketing

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good post EZBuckets.

Now let's work on getting those t shirts and mini BB's up to the north side 300's where us cheapos can get some!

Rhody, rhody, rhody! No replacements necessary!

Signed,

t shirt catching fuddy duddy......
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

hrstrat57 wrote:Good post EZBuckets.

Now let's work on getting those t shirts and mini BB's up to the north side 300's where us cheapos can get some!

Rhody, rhody, rhody! No replacements necessary!

Signed,

t shirt catching fuddy duddy......
Haha thanks man. We try to send Ramettes/Cheerleaders up to the 300's to toss some shirts/basketballs as much as possible...tough during winter break with limited squads. Unfortunately, for safety reasons we are strictly prohibited from firing up anything to the 300's from the court.

Matter of fact....I'm going to make it a point over the next few games to make my way up there whenever I can to give away some swag.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

EZ Buckets is probably the least annoying "on court mouth" from any of the games I've attended in the last 5 years around New England.

In fact, he's fairly likeable!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The PC guy is the absolute worst. He makes me want to set myself on fire.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:The PC guy is the absolute worst.
This is a true statement 100% of the time, regardless of the subject matter at hand.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

While we are on the subject of t-shirts, the ones sent down in the parachute drops are terrible. Small Rhody (old ram) logo on the front and a GIANT Verizon logo on the back. Who would actually wear this unless you were painting?
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I would never complain about EZ. If it wasn't for him the place would be a morgue.
I sit in 306 in front of some older folks, who can't get up, but are there every game supporting their team. When I stand, I usually have to go toward the stairs to be out of their way, except when the whole section is standing. (a rarity). I know a lot of you complain about the older folks not standing, and when I first started sitting there a couple of years ago, they asked me to sit down a few times and it annoyed me, but I am more tolerant to their needs now and respect them for being there game after game. We need an active and loud fan base, but to blame the people who are older and can't do what they would have done 10 years ago is a mistake. Blame it on the students who don't show unless a pizza or cattle prod is used.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

URI96 wrote:While we are on the subject of t-shirts, the ones sent down in the parachute drops are terrible. Small Rhody (old ram) logo on the front and a GIANT Verizon logo on the back. Who would actually wear this unless you were painting?
A few years ago I got the winter hat that has a smaller "RI" on the front and a HUGE "Wireless Zone" logo on the back. I wouldn't even wear this on my head scraping off my car at 4am during a blizzard.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ha! I got one parachute with some card for a phone service.
Useless, I'm sure to most. For me, I keep a burn phone in my car
for emergency. After my ex-fiance ran up an $1,800 plus bill seven years ago on
my account, I've decided I don't need to talk that badly. Electronic leashes.
I won some t-shirts two years ago with Lite Beer written on them.
Got a t-shirt at the Fordham game. More advertising on it.
Would people really be going berserk if they knew what was being
thrown or floated at them?
I get the marketing angle, but...............
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

EZ Buckets does a great job. Agree that the PC guy is terrible.

I was just shy of catching my first parachute when 6-5" Rhody Guy swooped in and snatched it from me at the last second (also the wireless phone card)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EZBuckets wrote:The in-game promotions are scripted down to the SECOND. We can't call audibles. You all would be astonished at the amount of manpower & effort that goes on behind the scenes to deliver a flawless technical show during these games. Although I'm "the face" to deliver everything...there are dozens of people doing the REAL work. The video board & ribbon wrap alone need to be pre-programmed DAYS leading up to games. Whether we are up by 50 or losing by 50...that promotion you dislike is happening at that media timeout whether it's fitting or not. Our sponsors make a lot of things possible and we try to do our best to integrate them into games while also making it interesting for fans. It's the nature of the business.

And as I've acknowledged dozens of times on this board...in 2015 there is someone doing what I do for EVERY college and pro team. Whether you like it or not...I'm not going anywhere. And if I do...another person will be in my place.
You can't call an audible at one of the biggest points of a game in possibly the biggest game we've had in 5 years to allow the fans to have an effect on the game? That's not a flawless technical show, it's a bloated, overscripted mess. In the Fordham game Hassan Martin moved into sixth on the all time block lists. Shouldn't we be celebrating accomplishments of our players as they happen as opposed to ignoring them in game and hoping fans read about it in a notes column later? Why didn't we acknowledge this?

The video board and ribbon wrap needing to be pre-programmed DAYS in advanced shouldn't be accurate. Daktronics promised URI and URI promised fans that this new video system would allow for all kinds of new features like better replays and the ability to instantly have a host of new statistics displayed during the game. By their very nature replays and up to date statistics can't be pre-programmed. Where are the replays? Where are the statistics other than points and fouls? Where is the out of town scoreboard? These are all exceedingly simple and necessary things to provide fans and they're not being done. Why? Did Daktronics lie about the product they sold us? Other teams using this system seem to be able to provide all of those things. Is our crew unable to use the product we bought? Or do the powers that be think no replays and statistics is perfectly acceptable?

And your final point that everyone is doing this is completely irrelevant. I'm not looking for URI to provide the chain restaurant of fan experiences and outsiders won't be enticed to show up if we do the same thing as everyone else. I'm looking for URI to provide a fan experience that is memorable and unique, provides the useful and interesting information that a fan needs, and allows the fans to create a home court advantage that helps our team win. And from lack of replays and statistics, to musical choices and stifling the crowd in key situations to read a commercial the fan experience is poor.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
EZBuckets wrote:The in-game promotions are scripted down to the SECOND. We can't call audibles. You all would be astonished at the amount of manpower & effort that goes on behind the scenes to deliver a flawless technical show during these games. Although I'm "the face" to deliver everything...there are dozens of people doing the REAL work. The video board & ribbon wrap alone need to be pre-programmed DAYS leading up to games. Whether we are up by 50 or losing by 50...that promotion you dislike is happening at that media timeout whether it's fitting or not. Our sponsors make a lot of things possible and we try to do our best to integrate them into games while also making it interesting for fans. It's the nature of the business.

And as I've acknowledged dozens of times on this board...in 2015 there is someone doing what I do for EVERY college and pro team. Whether you like it or not...I'm not going anywhere. And if I do...another person will be in my place.
You can't call an audible at one of the biggest points of a game in possibly the biggest game we've had in 5 years to allow the fans to have an effect on the game? That's not a flawless technical show, it's a bloated, overscripted mess. In the Fordham game Hassan Martin moved into sixth on the all time block lists. Shouldn't we be celebrating accomplishments of our players as they happen as opposed to ignoring them in game and hoping fans read about it in a notes column later? Why didn't we acknowledge this?

The video board and ribbon wrap needing to be pre-programmed DAYS in advanced shouldn't be accurate. Daktronics promised URI and URI promised fans that this new video system would allow for all kinds of new features like better replays and the ability to instantly have a host of new statistics displayed during the game. By their very nature replays and up to date statistics can't be pre-programmed. Where are the replays? Where are the statistics other than points and fouls? Where is the out of town scoreboard? These are all exceedingly simple and necessary things to provide fans and they're not being done. Why? Did Daktronics lie about the product they sold us? Other teams using this system seem to be able to provide all of those things. Is our crew unable to use the product we bought? Or do the powers that be think no replays and statistics is perfectly acceptable?

And your final point that everyone is doing this is completely irrelevant. I'm not looking for URI to provide the chain restaurant of fan experiences and outsiders won't be enticed to show up if we do the same thing as everyone else. I'm looking for URI to provide a fan experience that is memorable and unique, provides the useful and interesting information that a fan needs, and allows the fans to create a home court advantage that helps our team win. And from lack of replays and statistics, to musical choices and stifling the crowd in key situations to read a commercial the fan experience is poor.
The first game I went to this year, the scoreboard was showing team stats like FG% and FT%. Those are the ones I remember seeing. I don't think I've seen any stats like that since.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I don't think I want to see the FT%
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If you win a close game by making your FT's when it counts, even though you bricked them earlier, that's all that matters.

You tend to forget the bad FT shooting that way. Looks like VCU did that Tuesday night.

If you make them all night, but miss them late and lose a close one, that's all we end up talking about.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:If you win a close game by making your FT's when it counts, even though you bricked them earlier, that's all that matters.

You tend to forget the bad FT shooting that way. Looks like VCU did that Tuesday night.

If you make them all night, but miss them late and lose a close one, that's all we end up talking about.
Edit: Ha Rambone I think we were both in the wrong thread.

Hope you're doing OK.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Ha! I got one parachute with some card for a phone service.
Rod you are killing me!

That is some funny stuff there......

Electronic leashes....love it!

Sorry, back to TP (Penders) talk...

:lol:
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Can someone on this board show the Pender's tweets.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll bet there were people who thought we were going to lose, so why go, in their opinion?

Did the Fordham and Duquesne games' poor play affect this?

Another thing is, if the students were here, the attendance would have been at least 7000.

Have we EVER sold out the RC on semester break?

It's just not that easy to sell the place out. Kingston is in the middle of Farmville USA, smack dab between Groton/NL [UConn country] and Providence ]PC]. Just off a winding 2 lane road to boot.

Older folks don't travel well, especially in the winter, and the younger alums live and work too far away.

This isn't cozy Keaney anymore, with it's 4000 or so seats.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ha! I got one parachute with some card for a phone service.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS MAN !

BURNER PHONE !!!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Love the term burner phone.

Rod, those ex-wives/girlfriends/fiancées are dangerous.

My last wife [I could number them, but I'll pass for now] just bought a motorcycle and a gun. She couldn't ride a tricycle. Should be some good fun there.

I don't mind the bike, but the gun makes me a teeny bit nervous....[just kidding I hope] :shock:
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Jesus, Rambone! No wonder you had an embolism…….
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know. If the clots don't get me, the ex might......

Actually, I should be the one buying the gun.......... :o
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Or, at least the Old T-Shirt Sling-Shot.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My ex wife, when we were married, went out and bought a two seater
with a manual transmission.
Fine, except she had no idea hw to drive a standard.
So, I taught her on my antique P1800, while her new car sat at the dealers,
waiting for her to pick it up.
Well, she learned, but also blew out my clutch in my ancient car.
For those who don't know, here's a picture of a similar P1800.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The last time we went out, we went to Block Island, and the moment we got on the boat, the complaining started. The ocean was as smooth as glass, but she said she was seasick.....

She never had a problem with that when we were dating, and we often went out on my brother's powerboat, out in the open ocean.

Well, all she talked about once we got to the island, was she wanted to rent a scooter. Well, after a half hour of her running into cars in the scooter lot, the attendant said she would have to ride with me.

And she wants a motorcycle? Clear the roads!

'Twas a lovely day in the neighborhood....
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hey Rod.....my brother in Palm Springs has that same car.....he owns several vintage cars....the weather is perfect for auto lovers...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm envious. There was a perfect on in the window of a car place in Wakefield.
Need to hit the lottery to ever get one again.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It's too bad Tom wants to act like a baby. He is becoming an embarrassment to the University. Poor guy can't handle being irrelevant.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There should be a twitter equivalent of having someone involuntarily committed.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Next uncalled for tweet about my beloved University and I will be paying a visit to section 105 to politely ask him to shut up
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Jay, I support your proposed initiative, please ask Tom to consider making actual comments and requests of the athletic department via 'private' message, ie. email, telephone call, perhaps text. If he has some ideas float them on over to the right people. Instead of using his name recognition to try and shame our program publicly, perhaps he can try a less abrasive but more direct approach?

I can comment all day on what I like and don't like about my Ryan Center game experiences, but at the end of the day I feel like it is a great venue at a reasonable price (ticket price). It could be a better experience for me if I was able to cater every detail to my liking, but who am I, just one of many sharing the experience. If anything, Penders is irresponsibly affecting the marketing efforts negatively, though I do believe his actual affect on things is negligible.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rod, I taught my girlfriend how to drive a standard, easily one of the most frustrating endeavors of my life.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Enough talk already about women learning to use the Stick….especially at my age.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Watch out Jay. Penders has been known to punch
people much bigger than himself.
Part of his legacy in URI basketball history.

Sean, I read that story. She has crazy eyes. Looks like she could be
a killer.
Lots of weirdness out there.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The program owes a tremendous debt to Tommy and his legacy is well established. But the more I think about it, the more infuriating it is that he feels the need to interject himself in this way and not just enjoy his well-earned retirement. I don't know if he can do anything to tarnish what he accomplished at Rhody, but he can definitely marginalize himself and diminish any influence he may still have in a community that he obviously cares deeply about if he continues to act like a cantankerous imbecile. I really hope he rethinks his strategy here.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think the operative word, TP is, "thinks".
I think he gets angry when he gets tuned up, and
does the equivilent of drunk dialing.
He and Dan were very close and Penders was very supportive of
Dan, during his first year here.
At that time, Penders tweets were nothing but positive.
In the interim, something must have happened to sour Penders,
at least on Thorr, but not the program.
For those who don't go back that far, Penders may have been
the single most hated opponent in URI history.
When he was hired here, it would have been like hiring Bin Laden as a
cabinet member.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote:

It's too bad Tom wants to act like a baby. He is becoming an embarrassment to the University. Poor guy can't handle being irrelevant.
Wouldn't he actually try to meet with the university in person if he had any relevant ideas instead of going to Twitter like an angry Real Housewife of Del Boca Vista?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He and Thorr must have had a falling out. Over what who knows.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I just hope his opinions are his own and they're not shared by Dan.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I doubt he has any actual ideas, just likes to blow smoke.
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Hey Rod,

Could you please share with us why the hiring of Penders was so controversial?

Very curious...

I know he came from Fordham before coaching URI. Were his Fordham teams a thorn in our side?

I always respected Penders and appreciated what he did at Rhody during his brief time here. Also, the fact that he would schedule those home-and-home series with those highly ranked Texas teams he had but his Twitter posts are wearing thin.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

it stems from when Tom was a player, I believe at UConn? He was a hated opponent.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We never played Fordham when Penders coached them.
Penders was a dirty player.
In 1966, we had a playoff game against UConn, winner went to the NCAAs.
Penders sucker punched the great Art Stephanson. When Big Art retaliated,
he got thrown out of the game.
Penders didn't.
Step's substitute, a transfer from West Point, Bob Boehm, stepped in and did a great
job, and we won the game.
Penders was vilified for that punch, more than any opponent in memory.
So, when he was hired, a lot of people were surprised.
Absolutely loved him in his time here. He showed what could be done
at URI, with the right attitude and the right players.
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Very interesting.

Thanks for the back story. Didn't know any of it.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I was just a wee little pup but I remember Penders playing PG for the huskies.

Hated him.

Do I remember correctly that he was a big league prospect infielder at UConn?

I would look it up but Rod is an encyclopedia why bother?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Penders always said baseball was his first love.
I think his brother coaches at UConn.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not to be negative on Tom's time here, but didn't his success largely come from Malone's players?

He gets a ton of credit for making the team a winner of course, he was a great bench coach.

As a recruiter, as his career went on, I was never that impressed with. To me, that was his weakness.

At least he got a lot out of what he had.

Spent a lot of time at Casey's back then. He was a fixture there after home games.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, he made an Elite 8, and a Sweet 16, went to 8 NCAAs
at Texas, so he must have recruited somebody good in those years.
He's also on of a very few coaches to take FOUR school to an NCAA.
His recruits at URI were nothing to write home about, but he left in April,
before the signing period, so who knows?