Game #4: Seton Hall - In-Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #4: Seton Hall - In-Game

Unread post by reef »

Tough loss, sounds like that was a winnable game
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Some thoughts from Sunday at Mohegan:
1. Sparse crowd, and that's an understatement. Kudos to the Ram fans who were there.
2. Unbelievable enthusiasm from the bench the entire game, after a time out there were players racing on to the floor to pump up the players. Everyone seems to be on the same page, well, at least most for the moment.
3. You live by running the clock down, you die...
4. You live by shooting jumpers...
5. You live by having your guards play close to 80 minutes on two consecutive nights and...
6. Again, not many turnovers, and this helps us stay in games.
7. Other than Powell, Bigby was definitely the player of the game. If you just looked at the box score it doesn't tell anywhere near what he did - hustling, drawing charges, rebounding, - his enthusiasm was definitely contagious out there. I guess there is another 6-6 forward on this team who deserves playing time.
8. BK Richmond? had a good line a couple of days ago about our margin of error/winning being razor thin - would we have won with Nik, yes.
9. Hurley was last to leave the floor. He looked up towards the rafters with this "what does this team have to do to get a W"
10. Disappointing loss, but this coach knows what he's doing. Sooner or later it will be payback time.
11. Go Rhody!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

ace wrote:

Very good perspective. Long term! Hopefully this weekend is the beginning of a turn around. Kids starting to play with a little more confidence. Now just need to finish a few. The effort is there.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I fully expected them to lose when I saw the score scroll on the tv that had them up by 5 with just a few minutes left. I unfortunately thought not having experience and a bona fide go to man down the stretch would prove fatal. It did. A 14-1 run in the last 3.5 minutes with multiple shot clock violations says it all. Losing sucks but in the grand scheme of things this game means little. It is a lost season regardless. Better that Hurley send a message (suspension of Malesevic) and the players learn from game mistakes.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

tough to feel optimistic after two defeats this weekend but brighter days are definitely ahead

Hare showed flashes of what he can eventually become....he was giving up 100 pounds and 4 years to Teague, and you cant really fault him for getting put in jail by him a few times, that guy was a monster. But hare has natural shot blocking instincts, he had a good 5 or 6 blocks over the 2 games and there are many more to come. as I alluded to earlier in the season, I think Hare is the kid you will see improve the most from game to game. Powell had a great weekend. Our team has to learn how to win, not a small feat when you have so few playmakers as the shot clock winds down, but given our depth issue and no Nik yesterday our only choice was to try and shorten the game. Hopefully we get our first W this Friday, i'll be there again!
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

It was very apparent that URI stood a good chance of losing this game from the second half on. No offense except have a guard dribble around (Baron Ball) and then throw up (puke) a desperation three pointer with one second remaining. No rebounds to speak of. No defense on Teague. It is very difficult to win basketball games when the other team has better players.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

With Butler just beating Marquette, this game hurts a little more. Could have added to the leagues victories over BE.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Pink hat fans will not be back this year unless we reschedule CG. Hurley should consider reducing PT for seniors and others with no future with the program. Tough to do with a short roster to begin with.

I like what I see and believe the future of URI basketball will be brighter. When this happens loyal supporters will be asked to move back and make room for the wealthy pink hats. For now, enjoy the court-side action.
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote:Pink hat fans will not be back this year unless we reschedule CG. Hurley should consider reducing PT for seniors and others with no future with the program. Tough to do with a short roster to begin with.

I like what I see and believe the future of URI basketball will be brighter. When this happens loyal supporters will be asked to move back and make room for the wealthy pink hats. For now, enjoy the court-side action.
They only have three seniors - Malone, Malesevic and Brooks, the latter of which pretty much has to play 20+ minutes per game because of the dire frontcourt situation. If Hurley is about discipline and "earning your playing time," then it's hard to justify benching Malone or Malesevic for guys like Buchanan (when he's back from injury) and Bigby on a team that already struggles to score. I think it's one thing if the Rams had a deeper roster, but they usually only have 8 or 9 players getting more than scraps, so I think it's a bit of a moot issue anyway unless you want to see what some of those walk-ons can do.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have a feeling Friday we get our first win !!!
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

reef wrote:I have a feeling Friday we get our first win !!!
I agree.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm hoping, but this Loyola team isn't bad. The beat Norfolk pretty easily.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:
I'm hoping, but this Loyola team isn't bad. The beat Norfolk pretty easily.
I'm thinking Loyola might be the second best team we've faced so far. Not saying it's unwinnable, but I'm not as confident as you guys.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Steve, Bigby is in his last year here. I believe there are only 9 eligible scholarship players. So, 4 of 9 including 3 starters will not be back. It is hard to call URI a "young team". So, I'm suggesting increasing the minutes of Hare, TJ and Aaman along with Mike and X.
NCAAs or Bust!
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Rhody72 wrote:Steve, Bigby is in his last year here. I believe there are only 9 eligible scholarship players. So, 4 of 9 including 3 starters will not be back. It is hard to call URI a "young team". So, I'm suggesting increasing the minutes of Hare, TJ and Aaman along with Mike and X.
To piggy back on this, URI's average age based on game time played is 2.03 years of experience (which means they average a Junior standing). This is the 73rd most experienced team in D-1.

The average is 1.69 years, so URI's players (by class standing) have 20% more experience than the average D1 school. For the record, Valpo is the most experienced team (2.69) and Texas is the least (0.40)
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote:Steve, Bigby is in his last year here. I believe there are only 9 eligible scholarship players. So, 4 of 9 including 3 starters will not be back. It is hard to call URI a "young team". So, I'm suggesting increasing the minutes of Hare, TJ and Aaman along with Mike and X.
Hare and Aaman's minutes are limited by their own foul trouble, and Powell and Munford are already averaging 35+ minutes per game. Buchanan has played one half of one game because of injury.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund