'16 IL G - Devin Gage (DePaul ---> Fresno State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: '16 IL G - Devin Gage (DePaul - Transfer)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Gage makes sense IF Fatts is gone. If not, then it doesn't make much sense.

Of course, Gage probably isn't going to wait that long, so if you see URI pull the trigger on Gage, then that could very well be an indication on Fatts
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Gage makes sense IF Fatts is gone. If not, then it doesn't make much sense.

Of course, Gage probably isn't going to wait that long, so if you see URI pull the trigger on Gage, then that could very well be an indication on Fatts
Spot on. If Gage come, Fatts is gone. They aren’t going to have three senior point guards.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why not, we just went a whole season bemoaning how difficult it was to play 30 games with 2 competent ball handlers.
We go into next year with 2 competent ball handlers (Fatts, Sheppard) and then Freshmen. Can't rely on freshmen. If he wants to come I would welcome him even with Fatts coming back.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Why not, we just went a whole season bemoaning how difficult it was to play 30 games with 2 competent ball handlers.
We go into next year with 2 competent ball handlers (Fatts, Sheppard) and then Freshmen. Can't rely on freshmen. If he wants to come I would welcome him even with Fatts coming back.
Why would he play his last year at URI to play behind Fatts and Sheppard? He isn’t a shooting guard so his minutes would have to come at the point. If he wants to come to be a backup for one year then no problem
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don't see what's different from what Sheppard would have been this year, and trust me we would have much better off if Sheppard was eligible and able to bring relief for Fatts and Jeff. You can never have enough quality guards in college basketball. Us and Utah State are his best offers, he could easily be our 6th man and would get plenty of PT.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Always need ball handlers. Last season it was Fatts and Jeff, after that it was turnover central vs the press.
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I really don't have much argument to that, except to say, please refer to game films on Gage.

Gage-ball is helter skelter basketball. It would be interesting if he and Fatts played well together in the same backcourt, or could just as easily clash like oil and water.

Gage is energy man, all over the arch, shagging down balls with two fingers extended, while going out of bounds, trying to heave the ball to a teammate. Just watch the highlight videos, he's a pest even worse than Fatts. It's going to be wild and crazy for a season if they get Gage. When a player is that different from just about anyone else you have ever seen, it remains to be seen if they exert a positive or negative influence on your halfcourt offense. I would think, if Fatts is still here, you may not want to risk it, but if Fatts is gone, then green light... why not?

That was what I was thinking when I basically said they were mutually exclusive.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Gage makes sense IF Fatts is gone. If not, then it doesn't make much sense.

Spot on. If Gage come, Fatts is gone. They aren’t going to have three senior point guards.
No one knows if Fatts is gone. Not even Fatts. He isn’t leaving unless he is going to get drafted. Long process to go through to get feedback on that.
“We will be good when we are good.”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Why not, we just went a whole season bemoaning how difficult it was to play 30 games with 2 competent ball handlers.
Why would he play his last year at URI to play behind Fatts and Sheppard? He isn’t a shooting guard so his minutes would have to come at the point. If he wants to come to be a backup for one year then no problem

Are we even sure that Sheppard will be eligible and isn't possible that it would be Fatts and Gage and Sheppard the back up?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I thing we should grab Gage, for all the reasons BAR outlined. Heck we could put all three on the floor with two bigs, or go small and play the three of them with Toppin.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I thing we should grab Gage, for all the reasons BAR outlined. Heck we could put all three on the floor with two bigs, or go small and play the three of them with Toppin.
I agree. The combo of Fatts and Gage on defense would be nightmare for opponents.
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Honestly- for me it would matter again about the status of our transfers (and Shepherd) if this is a good fit. If the twins and Martin have to sit this year, we will see a lot toppin at the “4” and have plenty of PT for a rotation of three guards including the freshmen. Heck we could still take Murray in that situation and have a 6 guard rotation And still have a bigger team than we did when we playing four guards and Hass.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Gage has his list down to 3 teams. URI is not among them.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago Gage has his list down to 3 teams. URI is not among them.
Ohio St comes out of nowhere to snag a final spot for him.

Just shows the value of a P5 school.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
DevRam wrote: 4 years ago Gage has his list down to 3 teams. URI is not among them.

I’m not losing sleep on Gage at all. Murray is one that will keep us up at night. Uri needs to start addressing point guard for 2021-22 or play transfer market next year with starting spot up for grabs
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI backed away.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

URI backed away.
Does that mean we’re feeling confident about someone else?
Slava Ukraini!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

YAWN
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago When I watched DePaul play PC and of course I was rooting hard for DePaul I know I was not very impressed with Gage. I remember feeling like he was contributing to the loss. It’s just one game but I was not overly impressed.
Didn’t care for the guy from the beginning. Glad he is not coming.
Sheppard is a heck of a player. He is easily P5 performance level, could play high P5 now. I’ve heard good things about Sheppards play since he arrived on campus.
Sheppard and RusselL will be starters. They can rest one another as well.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did he pick Ohio St or just in his final 3 ??
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm ok with this.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

He read this board.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm ok with that, also.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m not losing sleep on Gage at all. Murray is one that will keep us up at night. Uri needs to start addressing point guard for 2021-22 or play transfer market next year with starting spot up for grabs
We have both Leggett and Wood on the roster - if they don’t pan out then transfers will be available for starter or backup role.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’m in favor of leaving the last roster spot open.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I’m in favor of leaving the last roster spot open.
So they can start Sept with 9 scholarship players eligible 😳
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Cox might wait until after the May 20th vote on the transfer rule, to fill the last spot.

Unless he gets Odisupe.

After May 20th if it passes and it's immediate, there will be many more transfers in the portal, and our chances to land a good player increase imo.

Of course then we'll have 12 and likely be OK. As long as someone else doesn't leave, that is.

If it doesn't pass I agree with 83....no way 9 players.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fresno State it is.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Fresno State it is.
Don't they know he's not 7 feet tall?
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

We have 6 guards now if Fatts returns, and that would seem to be the expectation. Two full rotations on a 3 guard lineup team. This is not a shocker.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

This kid is going to have a great year. I understand people not wanting him because we have/got other guards who can contribute. But he definitely has skill despite what people on this board say.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He played for DePaul in the Big East, which is still very much an East Coast centric conference. Perhaps the move to Fresno indicates it was time for a change of scenery
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I’m in favor of leaving the last roster spot open.
Only a few weeks. Until a decision comes through on eligibility.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
Only a few weeks. Until a decision comes through on eligibility.
You posted that you are in favor of leaving the last scholarship open. You didn’t say until the vote on the transfer rule. You didn’t say as long as the transfer rule passes. It was leave open period.

The vote is scheduled for May 20th which is 5 1/2 weeks away (that is more than a few weeks where I am from).