New Uniforms

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: New Uniforms

Unread post by TruePoint »

The last few posts in this thread prove that there is no accounting for taste. The "RAMS" on the jerseys was horrible. Both home and away should say "Rhode Island." Rams is not a long enough word for it to not look dumb on the front of a jersey. And the idea that last year's jersey was better is something I just can't understand.

(Note that I am not saying that my opinion is right and yours are wrong. I'm just saying our opinions are very different, proving that taste is very subjective.)
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Like the RHODE ISLAND on the front. I however don't like the player's number on the front along with it.

I really think the school should brand itself sports-wise as RHODE ISLAND when at all possible. I like that it appears to be moving in that direction with the RHODE ISLAND at each end of the floor on the baseline and interlocking RI at center-court. The uniforms are now another example. I would like the school to follow the lead of MICHIGAN. Its name is most prominent, not the wolverines or school acronym.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Like the RHODE ISLAND on the front. I however don't like the player's number on the front along with it.
I don't think I've ever seen a jersey with no number on the front (in basketball). I don't even think it would be legal to not have the number on the front.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:Like the RHODE ISLAND on the front. I however don't like the player's number on the front along with it.
I don't think I've ever seen a jersey with no number on the front (in basketball). I don't even think it would be legal to not have the number on the front.
I guess then I am no expert on uniforms. It however, to me, looks strange between the RHODE and the ISLAND. Seems disjointed. Looking back at past uniforms, it seems to have always been like that. Guess I haven't been playing close enough attention to the uniform detail.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just looked at my Running Rams history by Woodward,
and every since uniform since 1962 has had Rhode on the top,
player numbers in the middle, and Island on the bottom.
So, now it looks strange?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
The NBA Christmas jerseys this year don't have numbers on the front. They also have sleeves, so there are a lot of questionable things happening there.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
The NBA Christmas jerseys this year don't have numbers on the front. They also have sleeves, so there are a lot of questionable things happening there.
Yeah, and that happens every once in a while with throwback football uniforms, too. Michigan's throwbacks this year, the Packers and I think the Jets (Titans) throwbacks didn't have numbers on the front. I think Golden State wears a semi-regular alternate jersey with no numbers on the front. I guess they make exceptions for certain special occasions (especially if it helps move more merchandise), but as a standard I think you need to have numbers on front and back.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Just looked at my Running Rams history by Woodward,
and every since uniform since 1962 has had Rhode on the top,
player numbers in the middle, and Island on the bottom.
So, now it looks strange?

I guess it is how it is displayed. I looked back at photos of Silk and Lamar and it was like that. The RHODE and ISLAND however were more rounded in a circle-type format with the number in the middle. That looks better to me.
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Check out Ga. Southern's uniforms... look familiar?

http://www.uni-watch.com/wp-content/upl ... uthern.png
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wow. Looks like when a team decides to go with Adidas, there are a limited amount of fonts to choose from.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

would like us to get jerseys like Kansas but we won't get top of the line anytime soon

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

How about an occasional dark blue set(at home)with the Keaney Blue trim.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Im now officially saying last years uniforms are better. Hate the straight across lettering. It looks like it doesnt even fit either which it prob doesnt because adidas does the same design for everyone. How hard it is to get something unique and that looks good? This is a decent part of recruiting
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the uniforms are weak. cookie cutter and lame. love the idea of an alternate jersey for a game or two each season. for schools that have a good memorabilia biz its a great way to drive some incremental revenues.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I think I'm the only one to post here that I like them... I'll also admit my taste in fashion is awful.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RoadyJay wrote:I think I'm the only one to post here that I like them... I'll also admit my taste in fashion is awful.
+1
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Not having player names on the jerseys (at least for away uni's) is VERY WEAK. I dont know, to me it just seems small time. I get that the name of the front is what really matters, but its just nice to see the players names and I think recruits like it as well.

I usually bring a crew with me for the few games I'm able to make during the year and its nice to have people recognize who the players are. I havent seen many teams so far this year who do not have players names on the jerseys.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think the home unis are better than the road ones. I'd love to see the darker blues with Keaney blue and white trim.
I've always like the look of the Kansas unis. (It's the only thing from KU I have ever liked).
At least, we haven't gone the way a lot of teams have by using black and other off colors.
And, unlike RoadyJay, I AM a fashion plate...lol.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

'85 takes his latest fashion tips for men by watching
Ellen Degeneres!
Gotta say, watching from a high up camera on a computer screen,
I have an awful time telling who's who. Then we have announcers, like in the SMU game,
who don't tell us which players are in the game, or mistake Minnis for Matthews.....
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Rod,
Her and Carson Kreasley (my main man (?)).
If I ever saw her in a dress, I wouldn't recognize her.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not to worry. You never will.
When did Jaime Lee Curtis turn into Mark Harmon?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Am I the only one here who really doesn't care what the uniforms look like (as long as they don't emulate the Houston Astros or Oakland A's of the 70s)?
Slava Ukraini!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Does anyone know why on earth we are with Adidas...awful compared to Nike
Clapton is God
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Rhody74 wrote:Am I the only one here who really doesn't care what the uniforms look like (as long as they don't emulate the Houston Astros or Oakland A's of the 70s)?
I'd say the answer is Yes, seeing how this thread now has 124 posts.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

last years were better.

Still waiting on a navy/keaney blue jersey.

Is it a coincidence that the last time we wore those was the last time we won any game worth celebrating?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote:last years were better.

Still waiting on a navy/keaney blue jersey.

Is it a coincidence that the last time we wore those was the last time we won any game worth celebrating?

Great point!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

gorhody89 wrote:Does anyone know why on earth we are with Adidas...awful compared to Nike
Dan's Spring 2013 contract amendment included a clause that stipulated the University must "use all efforts" to release the team from the Adidas agreement.

Dan Hurley Contract Amendment, April 2013 wrote:14.4 The University agrees to use all efforts to remove the Team's obligations to be connected With the University's purchasing agreement with adidas (subject to state purchasing laws). The University agrees that the Team shall be excluded from any future athletic department and/or University apparel or footwear agreements (subject to state purchasing laws). All subsequent apparel or footwear agreements that impact or are in connection with the Team shall be subject to the prior, Written approval of the Coach.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
gorhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by gorhody »

I think last year's were the best since the navy blue '99 jersey. Last year was the first non-cookie cutter in a while and I think it looked pretty nice.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

All the uniforms are basically cookie-cutter. The apparel companies all have a few templates that can be moderately customized. Only the super elite programs that have traditional jerseys get something outside of the templates.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Check out @RhodyMBB's Tweet:

I'm liking these a lot
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Really like them.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ELeslie's 1st assist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ELeslie's 1st assist »

Uniforms without names on the back look "small time" on TV. Unless you're Indiana or some other national power who is on TV a ton, I think you need to have names on the back. You want to be big time then look big time.

Just my 2 cents.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ELeslie's 1st assist wrote:Uniforms without names on the back look "small time" on TV. Unless you're Indiana or some other national power who is on TV a ton, I think you need to have names on the back. You want to be big time then look big time.

Just my 2 cents.
So, I guess by not having names on the back we look like Indiana or some other national power?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Check out @RhodyMBB's Tweet:

I'm liking these a lot

Agreed!! Dark blue jerseys look great as an alternate jersey. Really hoping for a nice win tomorrow!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe they do? Picture doesn't show back
GO RAMS
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Ok...now we look just like Maine...whoopeeee
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

The numbers on the road unis are hard to read. They should be in white. And, we should have names on the back so that people don't confuse us with Indiana...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

These uniforms should be the full-time road jerseys. Some lady on Facebook is hating on them, saying "Keaney blue only!" or some such nonsense. I like Keaney blue, obviously, but I'd prefer it in moderation (mostly as an accent color). I prefer this color combo 100 times out of 100 compared to what we usually wear on the road.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

not too bad
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like them. We're wearing blue at a home game? Back to 1979?
Kenny Green voted for his uniform on Facebook. I voted for the Mobley Navy one.
It's about time. Now, how about names on the uniforms?
The crappy blue road uniforms we have been using this year, suck.
Can't read the numbers once player begin to sweat. Cheesy looking.
alfabetsoop
Jim Eitner

Unread post by alfabetsoop »

Hate them. My CYO uniform from 1974 had better lettering. But, I hate the Dayton unis as well. I like the traditional (OK old fashioned) Gimme this http://raftersblog.com/wp-content/uploa ... island.jpg,
perhaps this http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/spo ... etball.JPG
but not this http://www.goanchormen.com/Hall%20of%20 ... 968-69.jpg
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When did Damon Wayans play for URI?
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote:Maybe they do? Picture doesn't show back
You can see the A10 logo is on the back, but unfortunately no sign of any lettering for names.

SMALL TIME on URI's part. You won see many schools without their players name on the back. yuk
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Guys we have a fantastic history and a tradition that few in the country can claim. However we seem to have little reverence or respect for what we come from. Our color was developed by the father of modern basketball and yet we yearn for it to be an "accent" color ? Lets be proud of the tradition we have and lets be true to it. We seem to have already abandoned our mascot for a rocket squerrill look a like and now we yearn for a pedestrian navy blue instead of our own unique keaney blue. Maybe the problem is we have not seen it in so long ? We need to do a better job of representing our true colors rather than join the crowd in running out irrelevant colors because that is what everyone else is doing. Otherwise lets try black, or red or cammies.
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

UCLA wears black alternate uniforms.
Do we have more tradition than 11 NCAAs and countless NBA stars?
Many schools have several uniforms. This isn't 1965.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodekill wrote:Guys we have a fantastic history and a tradition that few in the country can claim. However we seem to have little reverence or respect for what we come from. Our color was developed by the father of modern basketball and yet we yearn for it to be an "accent" color ? Lets be proud of the tradition we have and lets be true to it. We seem to have already abandoned our mascot for a rocket squerrill look a like and now we yearn for a pedestrian navy blue instead of our own unique keaney blue. Maybe the problem is we have not seen it in so long ? We need to do a better job of representing our true colors rather than join the crowd in running out irrelevant colors because that is what everyone else is doing. Otherwise lets try black, or red or cammies.
I'm all about tradition. I bitched on this board for years until we got the banners put up. The navy looks better and it is actually "traditionally" the school color. The best uniforms we ever had (the 97-98 ones) were navy with keaney accents.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Love them
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I love the navy with Keaney blue trim (with white numbers). The stone in my school ring is a darker blue. I don't like any teams wearing black if it's not their school color. The only thing worse, to me, is gray. They look like white unis that were washed with colored clothes.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I hope these become available for purchase
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I like the uniforms.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey