New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SUNY Albany is a possible addition. I believe the are joining the caa for football which shows me that they are working at building their athletic program.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think the A10 needs the biggest names they can get, to replace as best as possible, the marquee names they are losing.

Schools like Albany might fit the A10 profile a ways down the road, but not now. Siena would be, imo, a much better candidate right now, if they are going to add another northeast program.

I mean, they were under consideration a little while ago, according to a couple sources, for addition to the BE.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

I doubt that the A10 will add George Mason because there is a reason that they were not added last year. The A10 needs to look to the Midwest and add two northern teams.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need to add good hoop schools only
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

wakefield wrote:I doubt that the A10 will add George Mason because there is a reason that they were not added last year. The A10 needs to look to the Midwest and add two northern teams.
Passing over George Mason would be a huge mistake. Adding Midwest schools only makes sense if it keeps Dayton and SLU in the fold.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think George Mason was invited last year, but decided to wait for some reason.

I would guess they will be invited again. Would help keep VCU here?
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

What I'm surprised at the most is that there haven't been any leaks on here about what's going on behind the scenes at the A10. They have to be doing something right? Last year they went out and got Butler and VCU.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

96, they've known for a while that Butler and X were gone. They also probably have to figure that Dayton and StLouis were going to go also.

However, until the official announcements comes out next week, I would think they can't announce anything themselves just yet. Working on things? I would certainly think so, whether it's talking to other programs, or potential TV partners.

It is a little surprising, however, that nothing has leaked out, even a little bit.

I can't imagine the A10 stands pat with 10 teams, if UMass stays. Where would they end up in the conference rankings, if that happened? What about the TV contract? Tons of questions.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

The midwest is dead to us at this point. St. Louis wanted out even before Fox money-bombed the Big East. Adding George Mason is nice, starting a new league with the Southern Atlantic publics (VCU, George Mason, etc.) and some up and coming programs to make a North Division would be the dream scenario. Could something that drastic happen without a TV benefactor?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Some thoughts:

* I believe the way to go is to form a new conference out of several and this approach requires dumping some current A-10 schools. The A-10 is a little hamstrung on going forward until it really knows who is exactly leaving and the timing of the departures. Conceiving a totally new conference would be difficult under those circumstances. Maybe a two phased development would get the job done - first, form a new A-10 piecemeal and then later get together with other conferences to engineer totally new groupings.

* Ohio or any of the other schools in the MAC would not be in a good fit in the A-10, since it will leave their FBS football programs as orphans. If you leave the MAC, they will ban you in football also. THe MAC is a pretty weak basketball conference, #17 on RPI wheras the MVC is #9.

* Ohio Valley Conference has some interesting schools with large facilities and good fan bases.

* There are always schools eager to move if it means more national exposure and prospect of more dollars. One of the A-10 strengths is that it has presence in the important eastern media markets. The A-10's tournament located at Barclay's is a powerful feature for schools outside that glare.

P. S. Rod, I think you misunderstood my comment on endowment. I was simply making a comparison of Duquesne to PC and used endowment as just one strength. Yes, endowment size is not important, if you do not have the will to commit to building a strong basketball program. BTW, the Fordham endowment is only #5 in the conference. Richmond has the biggest one at $1.9 billion followed by GW at $1.3 billion.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obs, true. The A10 needs to do everything in it's power to make sure they keep that conference tourney at Barclay's. To do that, they have to make some serious changes going forward, as the loss of most of the confererence's "power" teams is not what they [the Barclay's people] envisioned.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Has it been mentioned if the C-7 Big East gets to keep MSG?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Number five in the league, and last in committment.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think the A10 should look to the South, not the West. The MAC treams arn't going anywhere. I cannot imagine a merger with the MVC but anything is possible I guess. The A10 should secure it's southern base by looking at George Mason, Charleston, Davidson, Belmont, schools like that. I think Stony Brook has huge potential (football upgrading, baseball made college world series, near NYC, better recruiting grounds,etc), Quinnipiac not so much. Siena has possibilities too. One thing is certain, if the A10 doesn't move fast they are in BIG trouble, and URI with it. Do you think Hurley is going to hang around if the A10 doesn't make a significant move? Personally I don't think so. Rod I know you disagree so I am battening down the hatches, preparing for your comments!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not disagreeing too much. I think the A-10 is in a position
where they must do something, and not sit back and wait for all the final
pieces to fall.
I think a Southern Division to the A-10 is a solid idea.
Qunnipiac is a shiny new gem of a school, with big money and big ambitions.
I think a lot of things URI does depends on the final outcome a few years down the road with the
moribund football program.
They're just bleeding money on a hopeless item. Money that could be better spent
elsewhere in the URI Athletic Department.
Hurley will stay until he's accomplished what he came here to do. The A-10 will survive.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I hope I'm not whistling in the wind, but I have to believe the A-10 is being proactive in the background. They were with the invites of Butler and VCU, which showed they have some smarts, even if Butler didn't last long. Of course nothing can be announced until the Big East split is complete, so it's probably wise the A10 stays quiet for now.
Slava Ukraini!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Given - Temple, Charlotte going

Probable - Xavier, Butler will go.

UMass wants to go to a FBS conference as an all sports member. The new "BIG COUNTRY" or ACC could come calling.

St. Louis would go if a good deal came.
Dayton might go if all the above happens.

Who is left [worse case]

URI
Duquesne
St. Bonaventure
Fordham
St. Joseph
Lasalle
GW
Richmond
VCU

Candidates to add: Pick three, or five.
Holy Cross, FCS
CCSU, FCS
Bryant, FCS
Maine, FCS
Northeastern, FCS
New Hampshire, FCS
.....add that URI, Fordham, Richmond, Duquesne play FCS, and maybe a new all sports conference, with N/S divisions, many who are now traditional rivals
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

From that group? ZERO! May as well go D-2 if we're throwing in with those losers.
You think VCU is sticking around to play with any of that bunch?
UNH has the worst D-1 program in NCAA history. One hundred years and not a single
post season tournament.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

Since FoxTV is throwing around big money for inventory, and seems to be the protagonist for the defection of the C7....if I were McGlade or her proxy I would be approaching Fox to see what would be available for a second conference to go along with C7+ in their TV lineup....they cannot survive with one conference alone...

...if the 7 strongest candidates from the current A-10 were to secede....which teams would Fox want to join them in their second showcase conference....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cross???
CCSU?!?!
BRYANT??!
MAINE? (our Daddy under Baron)
NE?
NH?!?!?!!!

We're not going to align for the purposes of football to retard our growth in revenue producing basketball.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

CTRamFan. Sorry but that has to be the lowest aspiration post I have ever read on this forum. Man are you even reading and pondering what people are posting.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

with that list you might as well drop BBall altogether!

Belmont, Davidson and George Mason...done.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For what it's worth, here is some commnets from the A-10 Commish on subject.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ioner-says
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:I think the A10 should look to the South, not the West. The MAC treams arn't going anywhere. I cannot imagine a merger with the MVC but anything is possible I guess. The A10 should secure it's southern base by looking at George Mason, Charleston, Davidson, Belmont, schools like that. I think Stony Brook has huge potential (football upgrading, baseball made college world series, near NYC, better recruiting grounds,etc), Quinnipiac not so much. Siena has possibilities too. One thing is certain, if the A10 doesn't move fast they are in BIG trouble, and URI with it. Do you think Hurley is going to hang around if the A10 doesn't make a significant move? Personally I don't think so. Rod I know you disagree so I am battening down the hatches, preparing for your comments!
Absolutely, no need to go after Ohio U or Detroit in the Midwest....go with the Mid-Atlantic and the northern South Atlantic - right where the CAA has a concentration.
We have a lock on VCU and with Richmond - a very strong nucleus.
The Midwest is going to the Catholic 7 - gone.

Stick with the strongest, similar programs in our region.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

VCU smoked Butler today. +1 for us
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I would NEVER attend a URI basketball game if we were playing Maine, HC, Bryant etc. Those teams are not the answer. I was getting excited about the future of A-10 basketball and now, I don't see many positives after this realignment. All of those teams that are left under the "worst case scenerio" have terrible name recognition and are not the greatest programs (Besides VCU and Richmond). The A-10 needs to make some major steps and start figuring this stuff out. I do agree however that with the conference being so weak, it can be easier to get bids in the NCAA tournament.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will go to every home game the Rams play, no matter the opponent.....assuming the school makes its own commitment to winning....regardless of who is in our conference.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maine, UNH, and that pile of losers is not a comittment, should that
somehow come to pass.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

I'm hoping Hurley brings us to be the new Xavier , which I think will happen and someday we will look back at this thread and realize Xavier and butler leaving was the best thing that could have happened . And yes my beer is mostly empty but in think glass half full. If we become a power it won't matter who or where we play the people will come and we can save the farm. Thank god we have the right man for the job. I'm pretty sure Xavier and butler sells out when Fordham comes to town. We will to when we win.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

wow its all over then in terms of being in a top 5 conference in the country. Dont get me wrong. With lesser competition it will mean a better chance for rhody to sit at the top, but our SOS will drop like crazy. Manhatten, Detoit Murcy? lol
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um at this point, I'd gladly trade basketball
programs with Detroit.
An NCAA last season and 20 wins and counting this year.
A program on the rise.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Um at this point, I'd gladly trade basketball
programs with Detroit.
An NCAA last season and 20 wins and counting this year.
A program on the rise.
I see. Well ill have to agree
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Detroit would not be a bad get. 8,000+ seats and RPI of 61...Let's face it, none of the teams available are of the caliber we are losing; most of the best remaining schools would be middle of the pack in the current A10. All we can hope for, is that they commit to winning...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm all for getting good teams in the South, if possible. but, forgetting about the Midwest is saying goodbye to StL and Dayton. Maybe that ship has already sailed. Who knows?
But, if we're in a conference where it's easier to get a bid, we're probably in a one bid conference.
I'm not buying the fact that no news out of the league means they're busy working on the situation. Except for bringing in Butler and VCU last year, this hasn't been one of the more aggressive conferences.
if the Government can leak information, the A10 can.
Great to see VCU destroy Butler. As far as I'm concerned, they and X are already in the C7.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

85, even mr. gloom and doomer [yours truly] can't see the A10 winding up a one bid conference.

At least two, even if the A10 does nothing, which I can't see happening. I think we will end up a 2-3 bid conference. As long as we become similar to what VCU was in the CAA, and Butler in the Horizon, in others words, dominant, we'll be in the mix to Dance for quite a while, as long as the Hurleys remain here and URI keeps their new found committment to the program.

The thing that will be tough to overcome, is having so many weaker teams in the conference, that hurts your SOS and RPI, making it imperative that URI wins over 20 games and has a great conference record. Also have a good OOC schedule, and beat some of those teams.

In other words, just what Butler and VCU have done.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5408

"They will consider adding a 10th team for next season, but probably reject it, feeling very comfortable with a double round robin conference schedule.

Creighton, Richmond, Dayton and Saint Louis are on call as potential additional members."

I would guess that ESPN source was Marquette.

From ESPN
Thad (Boston)
Richmond or Creighton for the C7's 10th spot after Butler and Xavier? What does your gut / sources tell you?

Andy Katz
(2:42 PM)

At this point I would say probably Creighton. I like Richmond for other reasons -- proximity -- but Creighton wins out with facilities and fan base.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

A few people on the VCU message board have doubts about George Mason. There commitment to basketball might have changed but who knows. They did get a new president of their school in 2012.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I would consider us very lucky if the bleeding stopped at those 2. Add a few from Davidson, Detroit, George Mason, Belmont, etc... And move on. Hopefully greed wins out with the C7 and they add as few teams as possible to keep more money.
Last edited by RIFan 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The longer the BE waits to add more teams, the better it might be for us.

Why? We're going to get good, really good. Our facilities are good, and they are going to get better.

Maybe, just maybe, WE get on that on-call list?

WHY NOT US?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Good question...but if they don't want VCU, why would they want us? Would PC try and keep us out?
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rambone 78 wrote:The longer the BE waits to add more teams, the better it might be for us.

Why? We're going to get good, really good. Our facilities are good, and they are going to get better.

Maybe, just maybe, WE get on that on-call list?

WHY NOT US?
PC would never let us in. None of these teams want competition in their own markets
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It a hard to believe that the BE implodes and PC may come out better, all because of a rule that you need 7 teams...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Losing just 2 isn't so bad short term. But, having a couple more of our schools on a "waiting list" to go, doesn't help at all longer term.

Like you said, the A10 needs to add at least a couple schools NOW, just in case.....

Or, how about this:

Take Dayton, StLouis, Richmond, URI, VCU, maybe UMass and one or two others, negotiate a new and much better TV deal, break off a la the C7, add a couple good outside programs, and there you have it.

Start working on this NOW. If the deal is good enough, maybe StLouis and Dayton don't go to the BE, and instead become a part of this new conference.

Yeah, it sounds like a pipe dream Rod, but hey why not take a shot.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 is no longer in a position of strength, when it comes to working out a new TV deal.

In fact, I can see the networks wanting to pay LESS for the product.

How does this turn around?

The only way might be, to form that new league I just mentioned, all strong programs minus the current A10's dead weight. The A10 may not be able to do it themselves.

This new league could then take the A10's old place as the 7th best conference in the land.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say yes to GMU !!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

URI96 wrote:PC would never let us in. None of these teams want competition in their own markets
PC is not making the decisions, Fox is. The value of two programs in one small market to Fox? Zero.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think this presents an opportunity to build an A10 from Massachusetts to Virginia. St. Louis never fit in; let's not start adding schools scattershot from across the country.
VCU, Richmond, Lasalle, St. joes, GW, URI, Fordham, Duquesne, URI, UMASS, St. Bon, George Mason, James Madison, Siena.
Much more manageable geographically. Gives you a footprint to follow for future expansion.
(Why hasn't Towson been mentioned. They open a new 5200-seat arena next year.)
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think some of what will happen depends on if Dayton stays. They'll need another Midwest school to
balance with geographically.
If they leave, sure, stick with the Eastern plan. I'd still like to see Fordham gone. They're a joke.
Everytime someone takes a shot at the A-10, Fordham is the school mentioned.
I think Loyola of MD with Jimmy Patsos has a better program than Towson.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

uri talking about a10 bottom feeders getting out is about as hilarious as it gets.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

peeps4life wrote:uri talking about a10 bottom feeders getting out is about as hilarious as it gets.
Very constructive and unbiased post, as usual. Get lost creep, you add nothing to the conversation.