Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Transfers

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's right. No more dipping your toe in.. You want a chance at the draft... you're done in college hoop.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No Ledo? Awww.... I think even Sean knew it was a long shot that he would ever play for the Friars...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

You mean he's passing on graduate school?
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

No one knows squat yet. Anyone saying they do is full of it
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It seems that Ricky Ledo possibly going pro is a sensitive topic for Friar fans (as well it should be). I can only imagine how worked up they would be if our local sports media chimed in with their thoughts and advice. What would be the response if Donaldson and Reynolds made the case in print for Ricky Ledo to enter the NBA draft? After all, Ledo has always dreamed of playing in the NBA. He could hurt that prospect if he had a bad year at PC or got injured. Furthermore, it is a given that Ricky has never cared much for education. Why go through the charade if he has no intent on graduating and getting a degree?

I am not advocating that Donaldson or Reynolds write such a story. They should have the good journalism sense to refrain from doing so. They should stick to facts and not try to influence events. They should have done the same with Hurley but for some reason didn't. In my opinion, this is just another in a long list of examples that highlight the very obvious double standard at the Providence Journal when it comes to URI and PC.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think Ledo will come back and play his Sophomore year at PC. IMO if he was going to enter the 2013 NBA draft why wouldn't he have just gone overseas and balled for a year, made some loot and live somewhere beautiful like Italy?

His stock is not very high either given that he has sat out this entire year, so I don't see an NBA team committing 3 years to Ledo by drafting him in the first round. To me if he declared now he would be a 2nd round flyer. I think he comes back for one year at PC and lights it up and goes pro.

As for the rumor being floated that Hare might transfer, I hope thats not the case. I think he could really develop here at URI and be a defensive presence off the bench. Seems like Hare's drive/motivation to succeed is what is holding him back from reaching his potential.

Also, Hare potentially transferring would be another mark against Preston's reputation as a recruiter. Unlike many on this board, I'm not entirely sold on Preston being a great recruiter. Granted recruiting at the end of the Baron regime was near impossible, but Daniel West flamed out, now potentially Hare. If memory serves, I don't think any of Murphy's BC recruits amounted to much either. I think a lot rides on EC Matthews coming in here, being an impact player and lasting 4 years at Rhody. I believe EC will be the player we have hyped him to be, and Matthews success will almost certainly override any blemishes on Preston's recruiting resume to this point.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

The smart move for Ledo is to return and play at least a year to show his skills in game competition.......kids are not always smart and a lot depends on the quality of his "advisors"....I am sure some of them are not always thinking of the kid's best interests.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ledo should play the year at PC, him going Pro would be as big of a head scratcher as Dan taking the RU job amidst the turmoil.

The only reason RL should even think about it is because how weak this year's draft is, but even with that I have not seen anyone write that he will project to a 1st rounder. His blueprint should be Ben Maclemore at Kansas, sat last year and came back this year to position himself as a Top 10 pick. I would like to see what he can do at the college level, and it would be that much sweeter to beat them with him on the court.

I still attest that Batts is a more important decision for PCs prospects next year, without him they are in a world of hurt inside. They could recover if RL went pro.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Look at some of the stiffs that come out, thinking they're NBA
material.
A lot have people in their ear, telling them to grab the money.
I don't know anything about Ledo, but if he was smart, he should
stay for a year and show what he has.
"Half of McDonald's All Americans aren't any good."- Jim Boeheim.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I sure hope Ledo plays for the Friars at least for next season. It will elevate the State/region's focus on college hoop and make the game at the Ryan Center an incredibly tough ticket.

It's fun to have a NBA hopeful playing in RI.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

There is an NBA pro playing in RI next year. His name is Biruta.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Biruta is no where near an nba level. He may develop into that; but next year? No sir
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It'll be fun to see Batts and Biruta playing against each other next year.
Slava Ukraini!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I sure hope Ledo plays for the Friars at least for next season. It will elevate the State/region's focus on college hoop and make the game at the Ryan Center an incredibly tough ticket.

It's fun to have a NBA hopeful playing in RI.
It will be a tough ticket regardless.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

seanmc94 wrote:Biruta is no where near an nba level. He may develop into that; but next year? No sir
And you've seen him play how many times in the past year?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

exactly billyboy...sean, ever think the kid may have improved since you saw him 1.5 years ago playing for a coach who enjoyed hurling basketballs at his head and calling him a fa&! He has the skill set, we will see. No wonder you are butt buddies with rooke and cordischi, you like to make statements with little to back them up. An All Big East rookie team member when the league was stacked, I'll take my chances with him.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope Hare stays. I assume he could be a nice change of pace from the Big O. When you run; it's good to be 2 deep.

Will Hassan be a 3 or a 4 on this team?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Putting Biruta down as inconsequential is also a hobby of the PC board.
Gil is working on his face up game, and shooting, to make him very hard to guard.
He also has an amzing handle for a big guy. He was doing tricks with the ball in practice that
Biggie and Rieschel couldn't do.
I like the one if Henton played in the A-10, he's be an 18-10 guy.
Does anyone realize five A-10 teams went to the NCAAs?
They act like we're in the minor leagues.
Oh, and EC Matthews would be no better than their 5th guard. As if any of
them have ever even watched some of the tapes, or talked to coaches, let alone seen him play.
They look at ESPN rankings as gospel.
"Most McDonald's All Americans aren't very good."-Jim Boehiem
RIFan, Martin signed on to play the 3, which staff and others think is where his NBA potential lies.
He's played inside at Curtis High, so there will be a period of adjustment for him to
play away from the basket. He could well get spotted at the 4 until he learns his position.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks...I do find it interesting that both recruits signed on to play different positions than they ones they played in high school.

Speaking of Biruta, according to Dan's interview this morning, the reason he transferred was professional development.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Most players in high school have to develop in college to change their positions. 6'5" and 6'6' kids often play power forward and center in high school and then need to move outside in college. They are usually the tallest kids on their HS teams.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I see that. With the lack of a shooter (so far), we may need EC's scoring more than his play making on next years team.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

EC's outside shot has come a long way from last year.
He dominated some of the Michigan playoffs from deep.
They're still looking for a shooter and a bigman.
Whispers that a former four star, top 30 recruit, with one year left
is on the radar.
Pretty sure he'd have to sit a year, but a perfect replacement when X graduates.
Don't know how solid this is, but he's from Michigan.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yes, his shot is developing, but EC falls more into the scorer than shooter category at this point, not that I'm complaining.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote: Whispers that a former four star, top 30 recruit, with one year left
is on the radar.
Pretty sure he'd have to sit a year, but a perfect replacement when X graduates.
That would be funny.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote: Whispers that a former four star, top 30 recruit, with one year left
is on the radar.
That would be funny.
What am I missing? Can you give us a name?
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Putting Biruta down as inconsequential is also a hobby of the PC board.
Gil is working on his face up game, and shooting, to make him very hard to guard.
He also has an amzing handle for a big guy. He was doing tricks with the ball in practice that
them have ever even watched some of the tapes, or talked to coaches, let alone seen him play.
RIFan, Martin signed on to play the 3, which staff and others think is where his NBA potential lies.
He's played inside at Curtis High, so there will be a period of adjustment for him to
play away from the basket. He could well get spotted at the 4 until he learns his position.
I've seen the kid play at a few of the open practices. To call him NBA ready right now is an absolute "homer" statement.

Henton is a talented player who's achilles heel is playing against taller, more physical bigs. To think he could increase his stats by 6pts and 2 rbs isn't that big of a leap.

Cotton, Dunn, Ledo, Austin. Who is EC better than? Not ESPN rankings...eye ball tests. You are going to rank him ahead of who...before he plays his first college game?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So, Sean, how many open practices did you attend last year? 2 or 3? I don't remember there being more than 1 before the season began. I was at that one.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:
is on the radar.
That would be funny.
What am I missing? Can you give us a name?

Trey Ziegler?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sean seems to be talking out of his ass more than usual. I'm a little concerned about him.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

just Rhody madness video that a friend shot and the Blue/White scrimmage
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:just Rhody madness video that a friend shot and the Blue/White scrimmage
So, you consider a video of Madness, a joke of a very short scrimmage, the same as seeing a few of the open practices? C'mon Sean. Did you have a rough night of sleep last night?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

seanmc94 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Putting Biruta down as inconsequential is also a hobby of the PC board.
I've seen the kid play at a few of the open practices. To call him NBA ready right now is an absolute "homer" statement.

Henton is a talented player who's achilles heel is playing against taller, more physical bigs. To think he could increase his stats by 6pts and 2 rbs isn't that big of a leap.

Cotton, Dunn, Ledo, Austin. Who is EC better than? Not ESPN rankings...eye ball tests. You are going to rank him ahead of who...before he plays his first college game?
Did Austin play his first college game and I missed it?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And once again, how many times has Sean seen EC play in the past year, or ever, for that matter?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

STC wins the prize!!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Very interesting, thanks guys.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Sean has convinced me.....I am now a friar fan.

Finally a windmill has fallen , Don Quixote.....
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And the 3 schools in 3 years, leaving because your dad got fired makes it funny, at least to me.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What was Ziegler's problem at Pitt? He didn't seem to do much there.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Billyboy,

simple Yes or No; Is Gil NBA ready right now?

Is EC better than any of the PC players mentioned? IMHO, no. Rankings can be wrong; but based on what I've seen and read(and who recruited the players) I'll put Austin ahead of EC until proven otherwise on the court.

Ramulous, no one is trying to convert anyone. I just find it funny that all the posters ripping the media for their bias are on here with similar viewpoints.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Billyboy,

Is EC better than any of the PC players mentioned? IMHO, no. Rankings can be wrong; but based on what I've seen and read(and who recruited the players) I'll put Austin ahead of EC until proven otherwise on the court.

Ramulous, no one is trying to convert anyone. I just find it funny that all the posters ripping the media for their bias are on here with similar viewpoints.
I can't answer that question. I haven't seen either of them play in a live basketball game. The point is, neither have you.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Billy, and numbers game and not quite fitting in.
Has a horrendous year 4.4 ppg or something,
He was solid at Central Michigan.
DUI in November didn't endear him to anyone at Pitt.
Hey, if Hurley and Preston think he's a match, why not.
6'5" shooting guard, who was a four star, 29th ranked
nationally, for whatever that's worth.
He'd have to sit out a year.
He's the new Billy Baron.
I'll take EC over anyone in PC's backcourt.
Only time will prove who's right. Why argue about it?
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I haven't seen Andrew Wiggins play live either; but I'm confident enough in my ability as a knowledgable basketball fan to realize there is a good chance that he is a better player than Rodney Bullock.

My point is; it's an opinion. Could I be wrong? Of course. I just think it's laughable that a poster here thinks that Gil is "NBA ready" and that EC will step in and be ready to go toe to toe with PC's back court day 1. See Kris Dunn and Jordan Hare for how frosh can struggle to get up to speed. Expecting the kid to be as good as a future lottery pick(Ledo) and the BE leading scorer(Cotton) is a little misplaced, no?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EC was a top 100 pre-season player. He got consistently better as the year went on and exploded the last month. Yes, we are expecting a lot. He and Cotton are totally different players. I don't see any comparisons. It seems that is OK for you to give your opinions, but not OK for us to give ours. Obviously, we will never agree when discussing your players and our players. I will admit that I have a bias...so do you.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:EC's outside shot has come a long way from last year.
He dominated some of the Michigan playoffs from deep.
They're still looking for a shooter and a bigman.
Whispers that a former four star, top 30 recruit, with one year left
is on the radar.

Trey Ziegler?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

funny we are even talking Cotton, seeing he was the least heralded of all the players being discussed....and many PC fans hated on him as a desperate late get. look how that turned out?

impossible to say if EC or Austin is better. Until Ledo decides he is playing he isn't in the conversation. Dunn has a year on EC but I see them as similar players ironically. We will see how they both develop.

Sean you are comparing the opinions of the media to those on this board...uh yeah, this is a fan message board, bias abounds. Sorry I don't expect that out of paid journalists, fair and balanced at least in sports would be nice. Not some yahoos urging our coach to take the first train out of town. It just makes it that much sweeter when we do reach the top of the mountain. With Hurley, that will be sooner than later.

Freshman are freshman, EC will take time to learn the speed and skill of the college game. But as we all saw from Lamar, a year off will hurt Ledo as well if he plays. He won't be back to game speed until mid-season at the earliest, until then expect a mix of brilliance and rust.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

seanmc94 wrote:I haven't seen Andrew Wiggins play live either; but I'm confident enough in my ability as a knowledgable basketball fan to realize there is a good chance that he is a better player than Rodney Bullock.

My point is; it's an opinion. Could I be wrong? Of course. I just think it's laughable that a poster here thinks that Gil is "NBA ready" and that EC will step in and be ready to go toe to toe with PC's back court day 1. See Kris Dunn and Jordan Hare for how frosh can struggle to get up to speed. Expecting the kid to be as good as a future lottery pick(Ledo) and the BE leading scorer(Cotton) is a little misplaced, no?

Have to agree with sean here although I think Biruta is going to be very good do not think he is nba ready right now and to expect EC to come in and go up against Cotton and hold his own as a freshmen is unfair.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RIFan wrote:I see that. With the lack of a shooter (so far), we may need EC's scoring more than his play making on next years team.
It is really hard to know how good of a shooter X is- so many of his shots were the only option as the time clock ran down.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

seanmc94 wrote:Billyboy,

Comparing EC and Austin- makes no sense to me EC will be playing point guard, Austin will likely be a forward. At least that is what he is listed at in Scout...
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RIFan wrote:I hope Hare stays. I assume he could be a nice change of pace from the Big O. When you run; it's good to be 2 deep.

Will Hassan be a 3 or a 4 on this team?
Hare spent the entire season with no apparent improvement. His minutes did not increase. Aaman was starting over him. He could not get more rebounds than Nik. His work ethic is questionable at best. There is no evidence that he will become a contributor.

Hurley will do better with that scholorship than Hare.

I, for one, wish Jordan good wishes if he leaves and certainly am optimistic that it will ultimately benefit our team.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rod,

That's what's great about you; Rhody blue to the end