Hurley is staying

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Hurley is staying

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:
As far as Rhody next season goes...no sense worryin' about that now ;)
IM ALWAYS WORRIED. :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Sea, really man honestly did Rambone steal your handle.

Not telling anyone how to spend their hard earned money, but for those of us that think Dan Hurley and URI did something special this week , it might be a nice gesture to send along a donation to the Athletic Fund or URI BASKETBALL in appreciation next week.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

twisted3829 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote: Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.
Holton was arrested for laptop theft and voyeurism. Let's not pretend we let him go. Also he had 0 chance of qualifying academically the next year
AND he already had an outstanding probation/warrant situation (can't remember exactly).

Let's blame Hurley for THAT TOO! ... and for Malesevic's hot temper (another player Hurley did not recruit).... and for Billy B bolting for upstate NY... and for Snow this weekend!! WTF
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

twisted3829 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote: Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.
Holton was arrested for laptop theft and voyeurism. Let's not pretend we let him go. Also he had 0 chance of qualifying academically the next year
Twisted nailed it. Plus if I remember correctly, those arrests, even his presence at URI, were considered parole violations,and he had to spend the next year or two in Florida. I'm not sure how much of an impact he would have had for us if we didn't move all of our home games to the Sunshine State.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawright,
I'll comment on your comments in 2 parts. Part 1 Holton and the Selling of the Team then Part 2 in a separate message.
There is so much selling on the part of Hurley, the local media, the northeastern media, and like 8 people on this board. I hope next year when I show up for games they aren't frustrating because the team doesn't win. I won't explain to my dad again how if URI just did ______ or someday ______. Its old.
Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.
If Nikola whatever his last name was played this year, would he have been considered better than Akele? if he didn't punch a wall?

Considering the 8 people on this Board you refer to I'm guessing I am one but I don't consider myself "selling" just as I don't consider the more negative or dissatisfied posters as "unselling". It's more sharing opinions and opinions are just that on both sides.
I don't like when people say we were "promised" something by Hurley, Thor and Dooley. If you are not happy with that I can tell you that Jerry D and Jim B promised every year after Harrick left - so there's that. You could say all Coaches and Administrations promise. Shure the goal is an NCAA bid. Is that a promise or a goal. I am not sure but I do believe we are on the right track to an NCAA bid.
I'll be glad to talk to your dad and share some of my optimism with him. We can get NYGiants208 on a conference call too :lol:
It's a catch 22, chicken and egg thing.
Every Team promotes their team. They do this to sell Season Tickets, to get the fan base excited. You can call that whatever you want but show me a team that does not do that in Professional or College ranks. Football or Basketball or other sports. Coaches always rave about their incoming recruits.
Hurley admitted he overpromised on his transfers and that he underestimated the level of play in the A10. Done and behind us. Plenty of people here were also promoting the transfers, several saying they had seen them in practice. We heard the transfer guys were beating up the starting 5 in year 1 in practices so people got excited.

From DH's first year at URI since you are bringing that up:
Xavier Munford JUNIOR - 29 starts. Played for DH in HS. Recruited by DH from JC. Munford is now the first URI Player to play in the NBA from URI since Lamar Odom which was the last Century - not bad huh?
Mike Powell SOPH - 29 starts. Recruited by Jim B out of Chicago. Left team not long after losing starting position and facing diminishing playing time
Andre Malone SENIOR - 29 starts. Transferred to URI from Auburn under Jim B. Also played for the URI baseball team his last year
Nikola Malesivic SENIOR - 22 starts. Recruited by Jim B
Jordan Hare FRESHMAN - 19 starts. Originally recruited by Jim B, signed by DH. I loved Hare's game and potential. Not everybody did. 16 rebounds, 7 blocks and 8 points in his 5th college game of his career could not help but impress me. But much as he did not play all of his Senior Year HS games in Michigan and did not play AAU ball I am not sure Hare really loved the game. As with Holton, give TJ Buchanan Hare's body and he is an NBA Lottery Pick. Shame is Hare quit the team not once but twice. The second time may have cost us a recruit...may have. I was first to report URI recruiting Rokas Gustys in June and 6 months later in December it came out publicly when URI offered Gustys. Read the recruiting thread as I was doubted by some who wondered my sources. Gustys started at center for Oak Hill (one of the top Prep teams in the nation every year) and Oak Hill went to the Dick's Sporting Goods National Championship in NYC. Gustys just finished his Soph year at Hofstra. Gustys was a steal to sign. Wonder what DH could have done with a kid like Gustys. Gustys could be in the NBA one day or for sure will play overseas in a top program. The fact that Hare is not playing anywhere today says something about his interest in basketball too. But remember, those were the early years. DH is now able to be much more selective and in complete control of the roster he has assembled and continues to do so.
Ryan Brooks SENIOR - 13 starts. Recruited by Jim B
Mike Aaman FRESHMAN - 4 starts. Suffered concussions at URI on top of concussions in HS. Came to URI with Hurley after having committed to Wagner. Transferred from URI to Wagner. Aaman led Wagner as an 8-seed over 1-seed St Bonaventure in the NIT with 9 pts and 13 rebs. Wagner plays against Creighton today in NIT

URI won 8 games in DH's first year. Previous year Jim B won 7.
URI lost their 2 best returning players when DH took over for Jim B
Billy Baron SENIOR who originally spurned URI for UVA. Billy did not get the PT he expected at UVA and transferred back to URI to play with dad
Billy became eligible just before Christmas of his dad's final year at URI
Billy originally said he would play for DH. To some extent this impacted DH's initial recruiting. Then Billy changed his mind and went to Canisius before playing a game for DH.
Jonathon Holton FRESHMAN was expelled, dismissed by URI. This was not DH's decision but a University decision.
Holton led the A10 in Offensive rebounding his Freshman year. He averaged 8 rpg. While I liked his game a lot, especially his rebounding, I did not care too much for his pouting when he came to the bench sometimes when Jim B took him out. Give TJ Buchanan Holton's body and he would be NBA ready. He liked to take 3 pointers even though he shot low percentages - still does at WVU. To be honest I thought Holton would be a star at WVU. I talked personally to Huggins at an AAU event (after Holton's Palm Beach State College year and before his WVU year) about Holton and he was looking forward to having him and talked glowingly about his play. But even Huggins had issues with Holton this year with a suspension that is still untold as for reasons. By your Senior year you should be straightened out - no? Again I loved Holton's game. If DH had been here I am not sure Holton would have been dismissed. DH has excellent Bench Coaches. He has outstanding academic support for the players. He and his staff keep close tabs on the players and their lives working constantly for them to be successful in life and good ambassadors of the school. Would DH have recruited a guy like Holton? No. He goes after good academic and strong character kids, but if he had inherited Holton I am sure he would have been managed and watched and counseled much more closely than with Jim B. Still may have had problems with Holton thought but less likely is my point.

Malesevic broke his hand. I was there. Saw him come out of the locker room all bandaged up in ice. Was he better than Akele? Malesevic was a Senior, Akele only a Freshman so it's not a fair comparison yet but ask me after Akele's Senior year. But ask me now and I take Akele. Great kid. Showed some nice athletic ability, good shot blocking skills, good defense. He has a nice upside to him. I do think Malesevic was a talented player and would have loved to have seen what DH could have done with him over a full career versus only one year. I also love that Malesevic still maintains contact with URI and sends encouraging messages to the team - great to see.

So Bottom Line in his 1st year with URI - Hurley loses his two best returning players - Baron and Holton - but still wins 1 more game than Jim B did. DH brings in Munford who is now with Memphis in the NBA as of this week!!! Hurley brings in EC Mathews and Hassan Martin who were 1st team preseason picks by the A10 Coaches for this season. He also brings in Mike Aaman who is now starting for Wagner in NIT but had concussion issues and would not have been starting ahead of Martin or Iverson on this year's team.

One year ago the board was counting Guards being offered by DH and saying we needed big men and what was wrong with DH in recruiting strategy? DH got Berry late in May when Quad Smith was also out there and Quad was playing on Akele's IMG Academy team in Florida. At the time I thought Berry was the better pick up than Quad. Look at them both now. Marshall has done wonders with Berry and Berry has done wonders for himself. Then DH goes out and gets 3 incoming Freshmen big men in Layssard, Tertsea and Langevine signing them in the early signing period in November. All have solid potential. He also lands an excellent combo guard in Dowtin. When was the last time URI completed their recruiting class in the early signing period? When was the last time URI was NOT recruiting for next year's team in April and May to desperately fill slots? DH and staff have been and continue to now work on the 2017 and 2018 classes, not trying to finish up the 2016 class.

And maybe most importantly is that DH and staff recruit quality individuals. Good students. He has raised the level of talent and the quality of the incoming recruits to levels not seen in a long time here.

Will that translate into an NCAA appearance for URI in 2017? I believe so.
Will that translate into URI being in the Top 3 in the A10 next year? I believe so.
Will URI be preseason Top 25 next year? I believe so
Will URI be Top 25 during the year next season? I believe so
Will that translate into P5 Programs offering DH HC Positions next March? I believe so.
Will DH take a P5 Position? I don't know. I hope not.
Is there anyone else I would want Coaching URI now and next year? NO
Can I wait for next season? NO
Can I wait for the Mohegan Sun games next November? NO

But my advice to everyone here is to enjoy the ride. It is as promising a time for URI Basketball since Digger Phelps was on the URI Campus for ESPN Midnight Madness during the Harrick Years and that was in the previous century!!!!!!!
It's a great time to be a URI Basketball FAN!!!
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramster...I can't get on a conference call to sell next year's team until they actually play and beat someone...anyone...Doesn't have to be anyone 'good' (could even be UT-RSVP for all I care), just put a team out there and win. Get 1 W and I will be all over it. When we get to that, let me know and we can tour or make outbound calls. Definitely looking forward to it, but it seems like a long ways away and I just have a hard time getting fired up about off-seasons...with lotsa Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox and even some Jints in between. 8-)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawright.....here is my Part 2:

I'm not convinced. Even DH being offered by Rutgers a top 10 salary? For what? That doesn't seem very true.
Feels more like a manufactured story. Dan Hurley asked his team if they were willing to put in the work to be better to make a decision? Does that seem weird? It does to me. I just don't like how that was packaged. This whole thing. It is going to be year 5.
I hope they have a great year ahead.

Just a couple of weeks ago posters here were saying DH's chances of landing a P5 job were gone and that he would have to prove himself over the next two years. In fact, some were saying DH was on a tight leash by his bosses and that he must deliver.
My view?????
Look,
It was a tough year. Consider:
EC Mathews. We lost one of the preseason favorites for POY in the A10 in EC Mathews 9 minutes into the season. EC was 1st Team A10 preseason Coaches Poll. A 6'5" long armed guard with NBA potential. The leading returning percentage 3PG and FT shooter on the team. A Junior having played 2 previous seasons under DH while being groomed along with Hassan Martin to lead this team. A good passer, good rebounder, good shooter who was replaced in the line up with a 6' excellent shooting guard. McGlynn did an excellent job considering but you just don't replace EC Mathews. McGlynn was to have played a very key role coming off the bench and providing depth for Garrett, Terrell and EC. It was an excellent strategy.
Hassan Martin was 1st Team A10 preseason Coaches Poll. Martin and Mathews came in the same recruiting class by DH. Martin and Mathews connected often on fast breaks often with Martin delivering a thunderous dunk. Their timing together was a result of two years of games and practices - just does not get replaced. Martin had to cut his season short because of his knee that we learned had been an issue all season. How much did it affect his game? Don't know for sure.
Jarvis Garrett had a very nice year. How much better would EC have been AND Garrett been if EC had played? Garrett would not have had the pressure on him playing along with EC. They could have made each other better. Then on top of that Garrett gets hurt in the St Joe game. Jaw damage, loses a tooth but amazingly comes back quickly wearing mask like none I have ever seen. Amazing. I think Garrett will be even more effective paired with EC next year
Kuran Iverson. Before the season started there were questions whether Iverson would be in the starting line up to start the season. He had a nice year and led the team in rebounding. Very good potential and I can't wait to see him next year with a healthy EC and Hassan plus Garrett, Terrell and the rest of the cast. Unfortunately he took two hits from Isaiah Miles in the St Joe Game when he was knocked out before his head hit the floor. Very scary. Thank god he was ok. I am so glad that Iverson is on our team. Wonderful talent but we lost him for several key conference games unfortunately.

4 Starters, 4 significant injuries. All 4 of these injured Starters are back next year along with Terrell. So we return our entire starting line up. How many D1 teams can say that?
We will start 3 Seniors and 2 Juniors unless someone else pushes any of these 5 for starting spots - anything is possible
Robinson beings strong defense, Top 100 pedigree, strength, speed to the guard position
Thompson, Akele, Berry can all play and will be working hard during the off season as challenged by DH
Mike Layssard was 1st Team last year as a Junior. Next week the All State Louisiana teams will be announced. Saw him at the PC game and he is a big, strong guy. Can't wait to see him play for URI
Mike Tertsea is tall, long and has a lot of potential who plays the Center position. Played for John Carroll in the strong Baltimore Catholic League.
Cyril Langevine played for The Patrick School in the strong NJ Catholic League. Played great in the City of Palms in December in Ft Myers. Good HS competition. The Patrick School was ranked in the Top 10 USA Today during the season
Jeff Dowtin played for the 7th ranked HS Team in USA Today in St John's College HS. He averaged 16 ppg playing alongside Cowan who will be playing for U of Maryland. Cowan averaged about 20 ppg. Tall, long combo guard.

I don't intend to promote these 4 guys. Just going by the facts of their recruiting. All signed in November. They will provide depth for next year's veteran team.

My advice?
No way there is any conspiracy with the Rutgers job. They offered $14 million over 6 years. Hurley turned it down. Lonergan turned down Rutgers. Rutgers is still looking for a HC. Hurley and Lonergan are two promising young A10 Coaches who will land at P5 schools in the future. It says a lot that Hurley and Lonergan spurned Rutgers to remain in the A10. Will Wade at VCU will also end up at a P5 school one day. The A10, along with the NBE are the two best Non P5 Basketball Conferences. With the P5 the A10 and NBE make up what is called the P7 in Basketball circles.
You can spend your time questioning Hurley and thinking he can't win the close games and Thor and Dooley may have to fire him one day. I would say the chances of that are a million to one (Dumb and Dumber you tube video inserted here :D ). I don't think Hurley ever gets forced out of URI, just the opposite.

Buy your season tickets
Enjoy the Spring and Summer and then there is the Fall and November!!!

And one more thought.......
These is talk here of DH and URI having built a program that will continue to be strong once DH leaves
I don't necessarily buy that
Harrick did that, helped to get the Ryan Center built. Then we get Jerry D, then 12 years of JB
I don't know who comes in after DH but I do believe DH is someone special here. He is a known quantity to me after having seen him in action for 4 years. I think next year is NCAA based on what I have seen in the trajectory here. I think the Coaches and Players expect that.
The bigger unknown is when DH leaves, who takes his place, what happens with recruits in the pipeline during that transition, etc.
So I will enjoy this next year like no other in some time.
Bring on the Mohegan Sun!!!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ramster nice job.

It is easy to forget the impact of Hare quitting on this team. Counting on him when there were other quality recruits likely avail was a huge fail.

Otoh recruiting Iverson, getting him eligible was a big win.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Season ticket renewal info in the mail today...woo hoo!
FIX THAT PUB!
FIX THAT PUB!
FIX THAT PUB!

GO RHODY!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My mom used to say nothing good happens after midnight. I say that no good posts happen on keaneyblue after 10pm on a Friday night. Lay off the hooch, Sea and GY!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Especially at the tail end of the first two days of March Madness.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Season tickets renewed!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I like him, but is somebody paying
Ramster by the word?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:Season tickets renewed!
DITTO
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Ramster. Thanks. I missed the fact that Munford signed a 10 day contract with Mephis. Too much Guinness this week. Good for him. Hopefully he can stick in the league a while.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you watched any of the tournament games on CBS, you might have seen that 60 Minutes is supposed be showing a feature on St. Benedict's Prep, where Dan spent nine years coaching and teaching, on Sunday after the games. If you have any interest in urban education or just hearing a feel-good story about a school making a difference for boys not always well-served by the educational system, maybe check it out. It's a special place, and Father Leahy is an amazingly devoted and smart leader there. I decided to post this here because I think you can see the St. Benedict's influence with some of the decisions he's made and with how his teams come together.

A preview-
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

WOW, WOW !
......talk about commitment......and the teaching and wanting of maturity

Thanks ace.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That looks awesome Ace. Looking forward to watching it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for the heads up Ace.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Set my Tivo...
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

When you consider how much URI has without the tournament units IMHO it should be impressive from a commitment standpoint. look per ESPN:

"Each game played in this year's tournament is worth $265,791. That money is paid out in each of the next six years (2017-22), with the number for each game, or unit, growing each year of the payout. When multiplied times six, the total worth of a game played in this year's tournament will be at least $1.59 million."

Make it and you're better off. Make it a few times or advance to the second weekend and you are looking at money that would do some damage.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... nt-success

Interesting that the ACC distributes the money to all teams equally in the conference. I think in year's past people here have pointed out that in the A10 the money is mostly given to the team that is responsible for getting the money.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let the groveling begin!
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

After a long weekend of college hoops and actually attending games in Providence I finally just got back to this board. I just wanted to throw in some inside info I got from a friend who's close with a higher up at Rutgers...

He said that Hurley was one of the most loyal people he has ever met and was committed to Rhode Island. He wants to finish what he has started here and acknowledged that he and his family love the state itself.

I hope this translates into an indefinite future for him here with us! Would be great to see our program in the tournament year after year!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks Ace for telling us about the St. Benedict's segment. It certainly made me understand Dan's philosophy more fully. He truly is a special coach.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am not an education expert, but I feel pretty strongly that what I watched about St. Benedict's last night should be a model for urban education in this country. I'm sure it is much harder to get the buy-in when you don't get to choose your own student population, but there should be at least one school following this model everywhere that the community is struggling - great way to develop leaders and people of substance and accomplishment and character, which those communities desperately need.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The biggest key to successfully educating a student is not the school building itself or even the teachers, it's parental involvement. You can change the education model all you want and you can build all new schools, but if the parents aren't invested in their child's education you're going to really struggle. Some kids will rise above, but more will just not show up to school and won't do the necessary work. You can't teach a student who's only in school 75% of the time or less. My friend is a teacher at the vocational school in Woonsocket, a school kids have to apply to get into, and even there the attendance numbers are appalling.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The biggest key to successfully educating a student is not the school building itself or even the teachers, it's parental involvement. You can change the education model all you want and you can build all new schools, but if the parents aren't invested in their child's education you're going to really struggle. Some kids will rise above, but more will just not show up to school and won't do the necessary work. You can't teach a student who's only in school 75% of the time or less. My friend is a teacher at the vocational school in Woonsocket, a school kids have to apply to get into, and even there the attendance numbers are appalling.
I agree, but did you watch the 60 Minutes thing on Benedicts? I'm sure that behind those students there are, in many cases, interested and involved parents. But it appears that the thing that is different about Benedicts and makes it successful has nothing to do with brick and mortar, but the model that asks kids to buy in and invest in themselves and take responsibility for their own education - at least according to the segment the kids at Benedicts are largely responsible for running the school.

Like I said before, there are student populations for which that approach simply will not work - namely captive audiences and student populations that are random and not self-selected to a certain degree. But as a leadership academy type of school, where you are purposely bringing in kids with a certain degree of aptitude and ability and have a curriculum in place to identify and develop leaders, I think what I saw was a really good model.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

hear hear, great success story

amazing really
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote:Seawright,
I'll comment on your comments in 2 parts. Part 1 Holton and the Selling of the Team then Part 2 in a separate message.
There is so much selling on the part of Hurley, the local media, the northeastern media, and like 8 people on this board. I hope next year when I show up for games they aren't frustrating because the team doesn't win. I won't explain to my dad again how if URI just did ______ or someday ______. Its old.
Holton started for a 3 seed today. I just don't know. Was there no keeping him? Was the early roster truly out of DH's hands in terms of the quality? They played a lot of close games and lost them. We thought it was because the kids weren't up to par.
If Nikola whatever his last name was played this year, would he have been considered better than Akele? if he didn't punch a wall?

Considering the 8 people on this Board you refer to I'm guessing I am one but I don't consider myself "selling" just as I don't consider the more negative or dissatisfied posters as "unselling". It's more sharing opinions and opinions are just that on both sides.
I don't like when people say we were "promised" something by Hurley, Thor and Dooley. If you are not happy with that I can tell you that Jerry D and Jim B promised every year after Harrick left - so there's that. You could say all Coaches and Administrations promise. Shure the goal is an NCAA bid. Is that a promise or a goal. I am not sure but I do believe we are on the right track to an NCAA bid.
I'll be glad to talk to your dad and share some of my optimism with him. We can get NYGiants208 on a conference call too :lol:
It's a catch 22, chicken and egg thing.
Every Team promotes their team. They do this to sell Season Tickets, to get the fan base excited. You can call that whatever you want but show me a team that does not do that in Professional or College ranks. Football or Basketball or other sports. Coaches always rave about their incoming recruits.
Hurley admitted he overpromised on his transfers and that he underestimated the level of play in the A10. Done and behind us. Plenty of people here were also promoting the transfers, several saying they had seen them in practice. We heard the transfer guys were beating up the starting 5 in year 1 in practices so people got excited.

From DH's first year at URI since you are bringing that up:
Xavier Munford JUNIOR - 29 starts. Played for DH in HS. Recruited by DH from JC. Munford is now the first URI Player to play in the NBA from URI since Lamar Odom which was the last Century - not bad huh?
Mike Powell SOPH - 29 starts. Recruited by Jim B out of Chicago. Left team not long after losing starting position and facing diminishing playing time
Andre Malone SENIOR - 29 starts. Transferred to URI from Auburn under Jim B. Also played for the URI baseball team his last year
Nikola Malesivic SENIOR - 22 starts. Recruited by Jim B
Jordan Hare FRESHMAN - 19 starts. Originally recruited by Jim B, signed by DH. I loved Hare's game and potential. Not everybody did. 16 rebounds, 7 blocks and 8 points in his 5th college game of his career could not help but impress me. But much as he did not play all of his Senior Year HS games in Michigan and did not play AAU ball I am not sure Hare really loved the game. As with Holton, give TJ Buchanan Hare's body and he is an NBA Lottery Pick. Shame is Hare quit the team not once but twice. The second time may have cost us a recruit...may have. I was first to report URI recruiting Rokas Gustys in June and 6 months later in December it came out publicly when URI offered Gustys. Read the recruiting thread as I was doubted by some who wondered my sources. Gustys started at center for Oak Hill (one of the top Prep teams in the nation every year) and Oak Hill went to the Dick's Sporting Goods National Championship in NYC. Gustys just finished his Soph year at Hofstra. Gustys was a steal to sign. Wonder what DH could have done with a kid like Gustys. Gustys could be in the NBA one day or for sure will play overseas in a top program. The fact that Hare is not playing anywhere today says something about his interest in basketball too. But remember, those were the early years. DH is now able to be much more selective and in complete control of the roster he has assembled and continues to do so.
Ryan Brooks SENIOR - 13 starts. Recruited by Jim B
Mike Aaman FRESHMAN - 4 starts. Suffered concussions at URI on top of concussions in HS. Came to URI with Hurley after having committed to Wagner. Transferred from URI to Wagner. Aaman led Wagner as an 8-seed over 1-seed St Bonaventure in the NIT with 9 pts and 13 rebs. Wagner plays against Creighton today in NIT

URI won 8 games in DH's first year. Previous year Jim B won 7.
URI lost their 2 best returning players when DH took over for Jim B
Billy Baron SENIOR who originally spurned URI for UVA. Billy did not get the PT he expected at UVA and transferred back to URI to play with dad
Billy became eligible just before Christmas of his dad's final year at URI
Billy originally said he would play for DH. To some extent this impacted DH's initial recruiting. Then Billy changed his mind and went to Canisius before playing a game for DH.
Jonathon Holton FRESHMAN was expelled, dismissed by URI. This was not DH's decision but a University decision.
Holton led the A10 in Offensive rebounding his Freshman year. He averaged 8 rpg. While I liked his game a lot, especially his rebounding, I did not care too much for his pouting when he came to the bench sometimes when Jim B took him out. Give TJ Buchanan Holton's body and he would be NBA ready. He liked to take 3 pointers even though he shot low percentages - still does at WVU. To be honest I thought Holton would be a star at WVU. I talked personally to Huggins at an AAU event (after Holton's Palm Beach State College year and before his WVU year) about Holton and he was looking forward to having him and talked glowingly about his play. But even Huggins had issues with Holton this year with a suspension that is still untold as for reasons. By your Senior year you should be straightened out - no? Again I loved Holton's game. If DH had been here I am not sure Holton would have been dismissed. DH has excellent Bench Coaches. He has outstanding academic support for the players. He and his staff keep close tabs on the players and their lives working constantly for them to be successful in life and good ambassadors of the school. Would DH have recruited a guy like Holton? No. He goes after good academic and strong character kids, but if he had inherited Holton I am sure he would have been managed and watched and counseled much more closely than with Jim B. Still may have had problems with Holton thought but less likely is my point.

Malesevic broke his hand. I was there. Saw him come out of the locker room all bandaged up in ice. Was he better than Akele? Malesevic was a Senior, Akele only a Freshman so it's not a fair comparison yet but ask me after Akele's Senior year. But ask me now and I take Akele. Great kid. Showed some nice athletic ability, good shot blocking skills, good defense. He has a nice upside to him. I do think Malesevic was a talented player and would have loved to have seen what DH could have done with him over a full career versus only one year. I also love that Malesevic still maintains contact with URI and sends encouraging messages to the team - great to see.

So Bottom Line in his 1st year with URI - Hurley loses his two best returning players - Baron and Holton - but still wins 1 more game than Jim B did. DH brings in Munford who is now with Memphis in the NBA as of this week!!! Hurley brings in EC Mathews and Hassan Martin who were 1st team preseason picks by the A10 Coaches for this season. He also brings in Mike Aaman who is now starting for Wagner in NIT but had concussion issues and would not have been starting ahead of Martin or Iverson on this year's team.

One year ago the board was counting Guards being offered by DH and saying we needed big men and what was wrong with DH in recruiting strategy? DH got Berry late in May when Quad Smith was also out there and Quad was playing on Akele's IMG Academy team in Florida. At the time I thought Berry was the better pick up than Quad. Look at them both now. Marshall has done wonders with Berry and Berry has done wonders for himself. Then DH goes out and gets 3 incoming Freshmen big men in Layssard, Tertsea and Langevine signing them in the early signing period in November. All have solid potential. He also lands an excellent combo guard in Dowtin. When was the last time URI completed their recruiting class in the early signing period? When was the last time URI was NOT recruiting for next year's team in April and May to desperately fill slots? DH and staff have been and continue to now work on the 2017 and 2018 classes, not trying to finish up the 2016 class.

And maybe most importantly is that DH and staff recruit quality individuals. Good students. He has raised the level of talent and the quality of the incoming recruits to levels not seen in a long time here.

Will that translate into an NCAA appearance for URI in 2017? I believe so.
Will that translate into URI being in the Top 3 in the A10 next year? I believe so.
Will URI be preseason Top 25 next year? I believe so
Will URI be Top 25 during the year next season? I believe so
Will that translate into P5 Programs offering DH HC Positions next March? I believe so.
Will DH take a P5 Position? I don't know. I hope not.
Is there anyone else I would want Coaching URI now and next year? NO
Can I wait for next season? NO
Can I wait for the Mohegan Sun games next November? NO

But my advice to everyone here is to enjoy the ride. It is as promising a time for URI Basketball since Digger Phelps was on the URI Campus for ESPN Midnight Madness during the Harrick Years and that was in the previous century!!!!!!!
It's a great time to be a URI Basketball FAN!!!

Ramster, +12. Excellent post.

Thank you for saving me the time/effort of responding. Funny that in Seawright's head it's this board that's "selling" Dan Hurley - yet for 3 consecutive years a the Big East and Big 12 have been trying to buy him. That and most of the positive sentiments are reflected by national basketball media guys, but right...keaney blue is where all of those reporters go to get the scoop on college basketball.

Though I would've saved my fingers and gone with the simple:

0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The link to the story on St. Benedict's if you missed it and want to watch-

http://www.sbp.org/60Minutes

And this is the overtime piece that wasn't aired but accompanies the story-

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes- ... ck-hoodie/
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Totally enjoyed that 60 Minutes piece. Hurley was there for just about a decade under the same school leadership featured in the piece. Seems that Dan's toughLOVE style (I wrote it like that on purpose) resonates with the young men both there in Newark and here in Kingston.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

"Coach Hurley talks on the focus going into next year with the return of EC Matthews. Coach discusses staying at URI instead of going home to Rutgers. Also, Coach Hurley shares how he used Billy Donovan and Matt Doherty for coaching advice."

http://media.weei.com/device/mobile/a/1 ... 4-9-16.htm
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...insightful...esp the remarks that he didn't come from a 'coaching tree', i.e., didn't do asst time with/under established coaches...very interesting. Thanks for posting!
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I played under one St. Benedicts' /US High School's great soccer coaches before he coached there - Rick Jacobs (St. Benedict’s went 519-27-13 under him). Our High Schools play each other every year. Saw the piece tonight. Ahhh Jersey. Seems like a lifetime ago.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

BFC wrote:

Every time these stories come out...I always like to remind people that the State of RI funds less than 9% of URI's total operating budget, and that very little, if any money from that extremely small pot, pays Dan's salary.

Tuition, athletics fees, sponsors, and ad revenue run the athletics department. Thanks to the fantastic leadership at the state house, and the board of governors for higher education - the university has a shoe string budget, completely controlled by a board with no actual investment in the school.

URI is a private school and our state's government is stupid.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just blasted her on Twitter. Same old shit year after year.

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

atta boy rod !
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Technically, URI is still a state school. But Rhode Island is terrible on higher ed. And most residents don't care. They hate funding URI. I hear it a lot, sadly.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I've actually never heard anyone complain that URI receives too much funding from the state, aside from the occasional misguided comment on a media story which is intended to have that effect. I think most residents would support increasing funding for education, but they are already overtaxed. The reason why URI isn't supported as well as it should be isn't the attitudes of Rhode Islanders, it is the attitude of the inept public officials who are in charge of the state's budget. They cannot figure out which wasteful spending project to cut, so over time they have whittled down the state's contribution to URI's budget. The incremental way they've gone about it has kept it from being treated as a scandal. Instead we get half-wits like Katherine Gregg trying to make a scandal out of the basketball coach's salary while ignoring Rhode Island's deplorable support for its state University, which represents an outright refusal by the state to invest in its own future.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Remember Taricani's big scandal on CFL's
travels and salary?
Every so often the Urinal or some TV outlet
thinks URI's basketball coach's salary and perks
is a "Let's get the pitchforks and go get 'em!" issue.
Only for the morons who don't know how
poorly the University is funded, especially in contrast to
our neighbors to the West.
Must be nice to live where people love their state school.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Smith Hill is friartown and don't ever forget it!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

:)
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know many people say Dan needs to chill out a bit on the sideline and he has said that he is a nervous wreck on game days...I was reading this about Brad Stevens on espn
In his first season at Butler, Stevens started 8-0, but the ninth game was at Wright State, a notoriously difficult road venue. The young coach fretted about it for days. When game time arrived, Stevens snapped at his players, he harangued the officials, and his team departed a 43-42 loser. As he reviewed the game film late into the night, hoping to decipher why his team, which typically scored in the 60s, had struggled, the answer became obvious.

"I'm watching and thinking, 'Well, no wonder they were tight. I was tight,'" Stevens recalls.

From that moment on, he vowed he would never lose another game because he was on edge. A quick canvass of Stevens' career trajectory reveals two things: Although defense is, in truth, his calling card, NBA players are dazzled by his X's and O's, while NBA coaches are most enamored by his steady demeanor.

Seven years after that loss to Wright State, on April 14, 2015, in the Celtics' season finale, it was Stevens who stood, arms crossed, while Crowder (with Tyler Hansbrough and Kyle Lowry draped over him) drained a 3-pointer with 0.8 on the clock to sink the Toronto Raptors. It was one of five game winners Stevens drew up in the final three months of the 2014-15 Celtics season. In each case, in the most critical moment of the game, the coach revealed ... nothing.

"He's unbelievable in how he carries himself,'' Popovich says. "He's truthful and straight up with his players, and in this league, that's the biggest thing they respect -- that you are comfortable in your own skin.''

That poise, former NBA head coach Mike Brown says, is even more crucial when your players commit glaring mistakes.

"When something happens on the floor and a coach drops his head or grimaces or slaps his hand, guys see that and feel that,'' Brown says. "Even if the player who screwed up doesn't see it, all the guys on the bench do. Brad keeps his composure no matter what. Now, you know inside he's having a fit, but that's not what the rest of us see.''

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15356 ... head-coach
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I read the same thing this morning and was thinking about how to present it here without it seeming like a criticism of Hurley. I really like Dan a lot and I do believe people need to be themselves and shouldn't try to be somebody else, so I'm not advocating that Dan try to turn himself into Brad Stevens. But it might help somewhat to take some of this into consideration.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

If Dan turned into Brad Stevens ...with a title game in college .... that would be fine with me.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think the takeaway is you can change and improve and even Brad Stevens wasn't always the way you see him on the sidelines now. And yes the team picks up on your vibe as the head coach.
0 x