Game #22: @ Fordham - Sat Feb 1, 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #22: @ Fordham - Sat Feb 1, 7pm

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

TV: OceanState Network (OSN) Cox channel 5/1005 and SNY
Streaming: Free in HD via CollegeChalkTalk.com
GameNotes: http://static.psbin.com/8/k/a24qpricxdk ... ordham.pdf

Radio: B101 FM and online via http://www.iheart.com/live/3217/?autoplay=true
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Re: Game #22: @ Fordham - Sat Feb 1, 7pm

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Got killed against UMASS last weekend and beat by VCU, let's hope we can continue their losing streak.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was concerned that Severe might kill us, but it appears he's becoming a problem. Let's hope the Dayton game carries on .....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a scheduling anomaly, this URI-Fordham match up will be the third game out of the last four played at Rose Hill. Two years ago, URI lost a heartbreaker to Fordham, 66-64. The Blue Rams were able to avenge that loss in the follow-up at Ryan, routing Fordham by 20 points in a stem to stern performance.

Last year there was no opportunity to avenge the 66-63 loss to Fordham at Rose Hill since only one game was scheduled. Munford did not have a particularly good game that day. With URI down one point, he missed a three point attempt with 15 seconds left, a jumper with 9 seconds left, and another three point attempt with one second left. So you can say Saturday night will be a perfect time for Munford to get some revenge. Go Munford!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Fordham has for the most part played teams tough at home in conference games:

RHG A-10 Games
Richmond 77 FU 74
Dayton 80 FU 68
FU 76 GMU 70

Fordham probably views the URI game in the Bronx as one of their best shots for a win. Per the computer systems such as RPIForecast, this game has the highest probablility for a possible win of all their remaining games (though they are not still favored). Fordham has always played URI hard at Rose Hill. This will be no easy game for our Rams.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Don't forget this is also one of the games being aired on SNY. Those that get that channel can check out the game in HD. Pretty nice for a guy across the country like me!
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I'll be in attendance, hoping for an easy game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

At the end of the George Mason thread I wrote that we seemed to be developing into a bottom of the mid pack/top of the bottom pack team. Since then we played a really good first half at St. Joe's before the refs took that game over and solidly handled Dayton at home. To me, winning this game moves us into a middle of the conference type team and out of the conversation for basement dwellers in the conference. I know Fordham is only 1-6 in conference and appears to be falling apart a little bit, but as we've seen over and over this season, it's really hard to win on the road in this conference. It's one thing to hold serve in the Ryan Center, but winning on the road against a team playing poorly would be a really nice step for the team. And it won't hurt to match last year's conference win total with 9 games left to go.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wish we could have a do over of the last play vs. St. Louis.
PC for that matter.
If we could shoot free throws this entire season would be so
different.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Obadiah wrote:In a scheduling anomaly, this URI-Fordham match up will be the third game out of the last four played at Rose Hill. Two years ago, URI lost a heartbreaker to Fordham, 66-64. The Blue Rams were able to avenge that loss in the follow-up at Ryan, routing Fordham by 20 points in a stem to stern performance.

Last year there was no opportunity to avenge the 66-63 loss to Fordham at Rose Hill since only one game was scheduled. Munford did not have a particularly good game that day. With URI down one point, he missed a three point attempt with 15 seconds left, a jumper with 9 seconds left, and another three point attempt with one second left. So you can say Saturday night will be a perfect time for Munford to get some revenge. Go Munford!
Correct me if I am wrong but I think one of the games a few years ago was at Izod Center in Jersey and we demolished them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That was 2011. We won 90-58
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

We need good defensive efforts from X, TJ, and EC on Saturday. Really not concerned about anything other than 2 of their guards catching fire (say Severe waking up and hitting 15 of 25 shots). If we play a halfway decent game on both ends of the court I feel we should win this one, road game notwithstanding.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

We have one of the best 3 pt defenses in the country. We are maturing as a team and Fordham is starting to crumble. We win handily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Very true, RJ. Our guards have done by-and-large a very good job defensively.

An odd statistic (or at least one that surprised me), is that as poorly as we have shot free throws ourselves, our opponents have been even WORSE.

Our opponents have shot FTs at a 64.1% rate, which is the 10th lowest in the COUNTRY (lowest in the A10).

It's been mentioned a few times that if only our FT% was a little better, we would have won a few more games, which is a very valid point. It's interesting to think that we have actually been more effective than our opponents.

Also worth noting that we have been getting to the line for 24.9 attempts/game, good for 79th nationally (a very solid, though not elite number), and would also likely improve if adjusted for pace of play (where we are ranked 172nd nationally with 69.5 possessions/game). In my mind, this backs up what I've seen with my eyes this year that we have done a far superior job attacking the basket as opposed to prior seasons. This stat also goes against the criticism that our offense lacks direction and is just dribbling around and chucking up jumpers.

PS: statsheet.com is an amazing place
Last edited by sf2010 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RoadyJay wrote:We have one of the best 3 pt defenses in the country. We are maturing as a team and Fordham is starting to crumble. We win handily.

As my grandmother used to say: "From your mouth to God's ear."
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Then again, this being The Gadget Age: "From your IPhone to God's ear."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RoadyJay wrote:We have one of the best 3 pt defenses in the country. We are maturing as a team and Fordham is starting to crumble. We win handily.

I like your thinking, dude!
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

I will be there, looking forward to it. Love going to Rose Hill.

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm guessing that Fordham will zone us.

Dayton played man. We have been much better on offense against teams who do that.

I would like to see us attack the zone. Our inside guys are much better than theirs, we need to dominate them inside, especially if our 3's aren't falling.

That's the key to this game imo, along with playing good D against Frazier and Severe, and of course making a decent percentage of our FT's.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

fordham doesn't play much defense period
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Most of the games there lately are close. Jimmy B., a couple of years ago, bailed us out of one with some second half shooting. Fordham is in the middle of a big time funk. We need to shut down their guards and continue to play with some confidence. Go Rhody!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So Fordham is 3 point favorites. Can anyone tell me why this is not gonna be a blow out with Uri on top?
0 x
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodymob05 wrote:So Fordham is 3 point favorites. Can anyone tell me why this is not gonna be a blow out with Uri on top?
Conference road game. Simple as that. Kenpom has URI by one. There is not a single outcome that would surprise me that much. Maybe Fordham blowout.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:So Fordham is 3 point favorites. Can anyone tell me why this is not gonna be a blow out with Uri on top?
Because right now, URI is not all that much better than Fordham and the game is at Rose Hill.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's kind of amazing how much dislike for Fordham I've built up in just over a season and a half.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:It's kind of amazing how much dislike for Fordham I've built up in just over a season and a half.
Well yeah that crap last year about Hurley was ridiculous. Your feelings are understandable.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

"Also worth noting that we have been getting to the line for 24.9 attempts/game, good for 79th nationally (a very solid, though not elite number), and would also likely improve if adjusted for pace of play (where we are ranked 172nd nationally with 69.5 possessions/game). In my mind, this backs up what I've seen with my eyes this year that we have done a far superior job attacking the basket as opposed to prior seasons. This stat also goes against the criticism that our offense lacks direction and is just dribbling around and chucking up jumpers."

Agreed, I believe in the conference we are also at the top in FT attempts per game. With 1 real inside threat that is all being created by our back court, namely X and EC. Another interesting stat is that I believe we are in the Top 20 nationally in defending the 3. St Joe's and Dayton both came in with impressive 3pt percentages and shot horribly against us, St Joes in their own gym. The back court has really stepped it up defensively this year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Fordham fans were also worst toward Jimmy Baron than any other fanbase we played back then. They taunted him all game with daddy's boy chants. Pretty low class. Jimmy however got his revenge a few times.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Plain and simple...Fordham fans suck!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

RF1, I remember being down at a Fordham game and one kid yelled "Hey Jimmy, you're parents are going to get a divorce" and one of the ref's had the kid thrown out of the gym.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:"Also worth noting that we have been getting to the line for 24.9 attempts/game, good for 79th nationally (a very solid, though not elite number), and would also likely improve if adjusted for pace of play (where we are ranked 172nd nationally with 69.5 possessions/game). In my mind, this backs up what I've seen with my eyes this year that we have done a far superior job attacking the basket as opposed to prior seasons. This stat also goes against the criticism that our offense lacks direction and is just dribbling around and chucking up jumpers."

Agreed, I believe in the conference we are also at the top in FT attempts per game. With 1 real inside threat that is all being created by our back court, namely X and EC. Another interesting stat is that I believe we are in the Top 20 nationally in defending the 3. St Joe's and Dayton both came in with impressive 3pt percentages and shot horribly against us, St Joes in their own gym. The back court has really stepped it up defensively this year.
Love the FT attempts. It's a pretty good indicator of things, especially when it's looked at as FTA/FGA.

As for the 3pt defense %, there is a pretty good argument that 3PT% against is a function of luck. Meaning teams are going to shoot what they shoot over the course of a year and how they distribute on a game by game basis is random. I don't buy it completely but it is pretty compelling. It's almost like a guy who hits a ton of ground balls as a baseball player. If he happens to hit .320 there is an element of luck that tends to regress.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:"Also worth noting that we have been getting to the line for 24.9 attempts/game, good for 79th nationally (a very solid, though not elite number), and would also likely improve if adjusted for pace of play (where we are ranked 172nd nationally with 69.5 possessions/game). In my mind, this backs up what I've seen with my eyes this year that we have done a far superior job attacking the basket as opposed to prior seasons. This stat also goes against the criticism that our offense lacks direction and is just dribbling around and chucking up jumpers."

Love the FT attempts. It's a pretty good indicator of things, especially when it's looked at as FTA/FGA.

As for the 3pt defense %, there is a pretty good argument that 3PT% against is a function of luck. Meaning teams are going to shoot what they shoot over the course of a year and how they distribute on a game by game basis is random. I don't buy it completely but it is pretty compelling. It's almost like a guy who hits a ton of ground balls as a baseball player. If he happens to hit .320 there is an element of luck that tends to regress.
Explain more. Does this argument say 3pt shots are lucky, or the defense of them are lucky. Or are you saying if we have a good defense against 3pt shots we are just lucky against the 3 going in.
Also,in our league, I would say FTA are luck, and we aint lucky. So I wouldn't necessarily say FTA's for us is an indication of anything.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

FTA divided by FGA attempts is a decent stat because being aggressive is something you can control. And getting to the rim (short of missing the free throws!) is almost always a positive component of winning. It puts pressure on the defense, creates foul problems, etc.

As for the 3point% idea, what he is essentially saying is that you can't play good defense against free throws (obviously), the defense you play against 2pointers has a big impact, but the % of shots that are made from the three point line is a lottery on a game by game basis. A good perimeter defense can stop a team from taking as many as they would like to but, when it leaves the shooters hands, it all evens out over time. I have attached the link. Math heavy but I think the conclusions are solid.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... _a_lottery
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Between these choices, it's that the defense of 3 pointers is "lucky" where luck means natural variance (a guy shooting 50 isn't going to shoot 50 percent in every game). I think there may be something there if the "luck" sustains itself- at some point, it has to become significant. Defenses can affect attempts but not necessarily success. Pomeroy is good- he writes well, and he really likes the game of basketball. All stats people like the games they study, regardless of what the other side says. The stats themselves really aren't the problem in a lot of these discussions.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I think what makes him interesting is that he distills stuff that really will make your head spin into ideas that most fans can wrap their mind around. You also can break out things in the past and see what that might mean for the next set of games. I think if you are married to kenpom (or any other like sites) you are using it correctly. He would probably say the same. But, if you use that type info plus your own set of eyes, you can evaluate differently. I know I look at the game a little differently than I did in the 80s and 90s.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

opening line on betonline is a pick em
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thanks for the insight Ace and GBG. All I know is I would love to see our luck continue against the 3 tomorrow and come out with a win. I know it's Fordham, but a win is going to really mean a lot for this season. I hope Gil has another great game. Best to the team tomorrow.

WE ARE......RHODE ISLAND!!!!
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Where did you see URI +3, that would be a steal. I think the line should be Rhody -2 so not a ton of value at pick, I'd be all over +3!
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"All stats people like the games they study, regardless of what the other side says."
I think baseball sabermetric people are dweebs who never played the game, don't enjoy the game, and like crapping on real fan's
ideas of what they'r watching.
"Oh, you like him? Well, here's why you shouldn't." kind of baloney.
Then they get indignant when their viewpoint isn't shared and someone gets MVP that they
campaigned against, and they soil their jammies in protest.
I think of them like Pajamaboy in the Obamacare ads.
Attachments
Obamacare-pajama-boy.jpg
Obamacare-pajama-boy.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think baseball sabermetric people are dweebs who never played the game, don't enjoy the game, and like crapping on real fan's ideas of what they'r watching.
Eh, I played softball not baseball, love the game of baseball to death, and consider myself a real fan, but I can't imagine a more pointless discussion, so... Go Rhody, beat Fordham
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

1.5 point favorites now
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sabermatricians need to be put in a boat in the
middle of the ocean, with their computers and stay there
and bore the hell out of each other, coming up with more junk like zone ratings.
Just to assure they don't return, surround the boat with hungry sharks.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Well, no, but like I said, pointless to discuss with you. I'd find a way to post here anyway, even out there in a boat.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We'd miss your basketball posts too much, so
you'd have Papal Dispensation from the "ship of saberboors".
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sabermatricians need to be put in a boat in the
middle of the ocean, with their computers and stay there
and bore the hell out of each other, coming up with more junk like zone ratings.
Just to assure they don't return, surround the boat with hungry sharks.
The Sox are on three World Series titles and counting with them, but still.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The guy who invented Moneyball was an MLB first-round draft pick.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And BIlly Beane has won squat in all those years.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fordham board says they will win this one. Im betting we win by double digits. And I'm very confident
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Interview with EC. These are always reminders of just how young these guys we follow are.

http://coxsportsonline.com/2014/01/rams ... nt=3775112
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

On the three point shooting percentage, I don't believe the results over the course of a full season can be attributed to luck. If the numbers are sustained then there has to be some factor that involves both the effectiveness of the defense combined with the overall effectiveness of the three point shooters. I suggest that one factor URI has going for it is tall guards like EC and TJ. Anybody who plays knows it is much harder to shoot jump shots over taller defenders. First of all is the intimidation factor that your shot may be blocked which often alters the shooter's trajectory. And then there is the difficulty of seeing the basket with an arm and hand in your line of vision. assuming that the taller guards are also playing tight defense then they will be more effective than shorter ones. So that is my theory as to why URI is defending the three well.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

[quote="rodfromcranston"]"All stats people like the games they study, regardless of what the other side says."
I think baseball sabermetric people are dweebs who never played the game, don't enjoy the game, and like crapping on real fan's
ideas of what they'r watching.
"Oh, you like him? Well, here's why you shouldn't." kind of baloney.
Then they get indignant when their viewpoint isn't shared and someone gets MVP that they
campaigned against, and they soil their jammies in protest.[quote]

Some people would say that if you truly love a sport you want to know the real reasons why teams and players succeed. Sabermatricians seek to find the most valuable things a player can do to help his team win. Some people think that's being a dweeb. Others think it's not being an idiot.
0 x