3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs George Mason University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, March 6, 2024
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
George Mason’s Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island Rams mercifully close out their last home game of the season on Wednesday night when George Mason arrives in Kingston. The Rams have lost 4 home games in a row & are 3 – 5 in conference play at home. Things are even worse when you look at it more broadly, losing 11 of their last 13 home & away. The end result is a somber crowd at the Ryan Center.

Even with the departure of coach Kim English to Providence, who took his two best players with him in Josh Oduro & Ticket Gaines, the Patriots reloaded by hiring Tony Skinn. You could say he has some Skinn in the game as he was a former standout guard on the Mason team that went to the Final Four during that Cinderella run in 2006. The Patriots currently are in 9th place in the conference & are looking to avoid falling into 10th place where they would have to play that opening day in Brooklyn. After upsetting Dayton at home, the Patriots have dropped 3 in a row & are only averaging 57 points per game during this bad stretch. You know they are salivating at the opportunity to put up 80+ points Wednesday night to get their offense back on track before the conference tournament.

George Mason starts a four-guard lineup with UNLV transfer Keyshawn Hall playing the 4. He is leading in points with 17.2 per game & rebounds with 8.4. Hall did miss their last game over the weekend with an ankle injury. It is questionable if he will be ready to play on Wednesday night. Along with Hall, Coach Skinn brought in two additional new players this season & both are averaging in double-digit points per game with guard Darius Maddox (13.8) & starting big man Amari Kelly (11.9). Maddox is a transfer from Virginia Tech & the team’s best three-point shooter & an excellent free throw shooter at 86%. He has scored in double figures in 21 of the last 23 games. He scored 43% of the team’s points in the last game in Hall’s absence. Kelly is a UNC Wilmington transfer who is second on the team in rebounding at 6.3 per game & has 4 double-doubles this season. Running the point for GM is Ronald Polite III. Speaking of the III, he was picked for the A10 preseason 3rd team. His scoring & assist number are down this year, but so are his turnover numbers. He has missed the last two games with an ankle injury & is also questionable for Wednesday night’s game. If Polite & most certainly Hall are unavailable Wednesday night, the Rams will have a chance for the upset win.

As for the Rams, you know anytime you put up 91 at home & still lose, you play some awful defense. The stat that was most alarming to me in the last game was the points off of turnovers. The Rams turned the ball over "just" 12 times but the Billikens scored 27 points off of those turnovers. 27 points!! They scored 2.25 points off each turnover. I have never seen anything like that. If a team is anywhere close to 2 points off of each turnover, it is impressive. 2.25, are you kidding me! Some good news, Cam had a very efficient shooting night, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts. Hopefully he can get some open looks Wednesday night.

The game versus George Mason is senior night & although we don’t have any seniors on the roster, there is one important piece of the Ram family that will have his last game at the Ryan Center Wednesday night. I wanted to give a special shout out to the one & only John Vanner, aka EZ Buckets, on what will be his last game leading the Rhody Rhody Rhody chants from the court. After 17 seasons on the job, he is hanging up his microphone & athletic pants & walking off into the sunset. And when I say sunset, I am referring to section 204 since I am sure that is where you will see him next season. Through the ups and downs of Baron, Hurley, Cox & now Miller, we always had one constant in JV. Rams’ fans were lucky to have such a great hype-man throughout all these years. His job wasn’t always easy, especially during holiday breaks with no students when the team was not good, but he always brought it, each & every game. So please remember to get extra loud when they acknowledge JV. The Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem will never be the same.

Now back to the game. Can the Rams pull off the home upset? If Hall & Polite aren’t playing, they have a decent shot. Like I mentioned earlier, the Patriots have been struggling offensively. Can the Rams keep defense step up & keep them struggling offensively? The Patriots have won the last 3 matchups & have won 2 out of the last 3 times at the Ryan Center. Since it is the last home game of the season, I will do it again. Anyone that comes to me at the corner of the bar at Shaidzon between 4-6:40 Wednesday before the game gets a free Buffalo Czech on me. Just come by & say “URI Race to 10”. This might be the CTE setting in from all the losses over the last few season but the Rams are going to win this one for Vanner. My prediction, URI 73 – George Mason 71. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
18-11, 7-9 in the A10
20-13, 17-7 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 99 (212)
RPI: 79 (175)
KenPom: 105 (212)
BPI: 113 (219)
Barttovik: 104 (199)

Leaders:
Points – Keyshawn Hall 17.2 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Keyshawn Hall 8.4 (Soph., F)
Assists – Ronald Polite III 2.8 (Sr., G) (1.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-7
H: 4-4, A: 3-3, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/27/24 92-84 L at George Mason
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – George Mason
Match-up Predictor: 38.5% Chance of URI Winning
9 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky, great update.

Again as you mentioned, much depends on the availability of Hall and Polite, as to our chances.
Rumors have been flying that Hall is done and already has his bags packed, who knows.

Our last home game and Senior Night, hopefully we get a win.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thx EZBuckets

$5 beers and a free magnet!

We’re in!

Go Rhody
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hopefully there will be some recognition of Buckets, whom I understand is “retiring” from his role. Thx Buckets, job well done.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Hopefully there will be some recognition of Buckets, whom I understand is “retiring” from his role. Thx Buckets, job well done.
you should read my previews. :lol:
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Thanks for the nice write up and kind words Spooky!

Hard to believe I started my senior year at Rhody and have outlasted 4 coaches, over 100 players, 230 games, a fake retirement and god knows how many silly contests and Rhody Rhody Rhody chants.

It’s been quite the ride.
20 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

EZBuckets wrote: 1 month ago Thanks for the nice write up and kind words Spooky!

Hard to believe I started my senior year at Rhody and have outlasted 4 coaches, over 100 players, 230 games, a fake retirement and god knows how many silly contests and Rhody Rhody Rhody chants.

Thank you EZ, for your contribution to Rhody basketball over the years.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Wish I could be there to salute EZBuckets for all his work over the years. I remember him working the URI section at Mohegan Sun one year -- without a microphone or props -- keeping us loud and engaged for an entire game.

Well done, John.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 month ago Thanks for the nice write up and kind words Spooky!

Any word on a replacement? Current student(s), recent alumni, etc?
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thank you, EZ!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thank you EZ. Great job. Fantastic loyalty over many years of service.
3 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Any word on a replacement? Current student(s), recent alumni, etc?
Good question! Nothing is set in stone but at last check, instead of trying to find a single replacement they were exploring having the Ruckus Student Leadership group take over by committee - with each taking turns handling promotions and announcements. Though that could always change.

My only ask is that the fans give whoever it is some serious leeway to start. It’s not an easy job and took me at least a few seasons to start feeling comfortable out there.
4 x
BattleTested
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BattleTested »

Rhody Tickets just tweeted that Jack O’Marra is the PA announcer tomorrow?! Did we let go of Dan?!?!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

BattleTested wrote: 1 month ago Rhody Tickets just tweeted that Jack O’Marra is the PA announcer tomorrow?! Did we let go of Dan?!?!
Probably doing high school playoffs as play by play on radio?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BattleTested
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BattleTested »

One can dream right?!? Whoever Jack is, he’d be a huge step up lol
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey a positive!

Woo Hoo!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Any word on a replacement? Current student(s), recent alumni, etc?
Good question! Nothing is set in stone but at last check, instead of trying to find a single replacement they were exploring having the Ruckus Student Leadership group take over by committee - with each taking turns handling promotions and announcements. Though that could always change.

My only ask is that the fans give whoever it is some serious leeway to start. It’s not an easy job and took me at least a few seasons to start feeling comfortable out there.
I'm hoping my good friend DJ Face gets a bigger role too.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago

1. I like him, songs/mixes are good throughout the name

2. Stage name could be much much better

3. Blue Man hates him, pretty sure I remember him posting that he did 😂
0 x
Go Rhody
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Nothing against DJ Face, I actually like the songs he plays. I like the sound of the pep band more. There is something about live music that gets the body going.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

He doesn't really get to showcase his skills at this games honestly. He's one of the most popular DJs in the state of Rhode Island. Very successful. And people don't have to like him but he was best man at my brothers wedding and he's one of nicest people I ever met. Blueman and I are good friends but disagree about plenty.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He doesn't really get to showcase his skills at this games honestly. He's one of the most popular DJs in the state of Rhode Island. Very successful. And people don't have to like him but he was best man at my brothers wedding and he's one of nicest people I ever met. Blueman and I are good friends but disagree about plenty.
Yea I’d have to assume an arena DJ can’t really do their own thing, definitely have to play by certain rules.
0 x
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Rumor has it that Hall didn’t take the trip to RI but Polite did.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does that mean that the Ruckus would actually have to show up at games? :o
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yea I’d have to assume an arena DJ can’t really do their own thing, definitely have to play by certain rules.
Oh yea. He's not allowed to play any Kanye. He's not allowed to play edited rap songs because they feel the students will still sing the lyrics. He told me his mix is what he would use at a middle school dance.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

damram wrote: 1 month ago Nothing against DJ Face, I actually like the songs he plays. I like the sound of the pep band more. There is something about live music that gets the body going.
Mix some electric guitar into that Rhody band
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rumor has it that it was reported that Hall wasn't on the team flight for the URI game.
Polite was.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Keyshawn Hall A10 Conference Stats:
  • 4th in scoring 18.1 ppg
  • 3rd in rebounding 7.3 reg
  • 21st FG% 47.5%
  • 4th in FT% 88%
  • 22nd in 3FG% 37%

Big loss for George Mason if he does not play tonight as expected

Will also be interesting to see what happens with All Conference Selections if what is rumored is confirmed. All Conference is announced before the Post Season Conference begins.

Also does he end up playing in Brooklyn?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Oh yea. He's not allowed to play any Kanye. He's not allowed to play edited rap songs because they feel the students will still sing the lyrics. He told me his mix is what he would use at a middle school dance.
That explains so much. God the Ryan Center sucks.

I have several problems that may or may not be attributed to him but he’s just the physical embodiment of said issues.

1) noise level. It’s so bad. I think they’re doing it on purpose. I shouldn’t have to scream to have a conversation with the person next to me.

2) more band. Nothing against a DJ but I think college games should be more band than DJ.

3) song selection. This should be for the college kids to get them going. The only songs we hear are songs from our time in school like 15 years ago. If people my age know the music, we’re missing the mark.

4) that chopped and slowed version of jump and all the small things - basketball is pump up time, not artistic expression time.

And yes studs and I agree/disagree on plenty. Still my guy. I figure friends are allowed to have their own thoughts and opinions.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Sign of the changed times in the college era of free agency? No Neil post on Senior Day.

Update - looking at his profile, it seems he has not posted at all this season. I sincerely hope he is ok.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Sign of the changed times in the college era of free agency? No Neil post on Senior Day.

Update - looking at his profile, it seems he has not posted at all this season. I sincerely hope he is ok.
I’ve seen him at the games, he’s as OK as any of us who continue to sign up for this pain.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

The ridiculous PA volume (and continued paying of Yorke to scream lazy nonsense into it) is a puzzlement.

A lot of stupid stuff we do makes little sense but nothing as much as the deafening low fidelity volume level.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Sign of the changed times in the college era of free agency? No Neil post on Senior Day.

I’ve seen him at the games, he’s as OK as any of us who continue to sign up for this pain.
Thanks for the update. Glad he is doing well. I had first met him at an away game in Boston some 25 years ago. Have always enjoyed his posts as they offered a great historical personal perspective of the program going back decades. He had seen it all with his own eyes. Even after graduating, he traveled from CT to both home and away games. Loved that he shared his passion for Rhody hoops with both his late father and son.
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

George masons best player, Keyshawn hall, who averages 17 ppg and 8 rpg, is out tonight.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was the student section for the 4pm St Louis Game Saturday

Maybe better tonight for Senior Night and tge last home game of the season?

Overall announced attendance was better than I expected at about 4700

IMG_2497.jpeg
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 month ago This was the student section for the 4pm St Louis Game Saturday

IMG_2497.jpeg
I'm going to be honest - the crowds have actually impressed me this year. Never mind announced, but for bodies in the seats I think our fans have showed up significantly more than I'd have expected with the performances that we've put out. Certainly not sellouts, but I've been shocked plenty of times by the fans that show up for the matchups after some of the losses we've sustained.

Students will be an uphill battle. There are no students at URI who have seen a winning team. If you're a senior this year, you saw 2 seasons of losing David Cox basketball post-covid, and 2 seasons of the subsequent rebuild. Getting kids back is going to take winning and winning alone. You get 2 years of kids living on campus to get some good memories in there, and if not, good luck getting those kids to drive from down the line to the RC.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Woo hoo
$5 beer, free magnet…

Now we got $2 mystery meat hot dogs 🌭

It’s go time!!

:)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Agreed on decent crowds at the RC considering our performance. I remember some early Hurley dog days. Could hear a pin drop.
2 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Parlange and Thor need to rise a banner to the rafters for you.

Banner for Vanner!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
BattleTested wrote: 1 month ago Rhody Tickets just tweeted that Jack O’Marra is the PA announcer tomorrow?! Did we let go of Dan?!?!
Probably doing high school playoffs as play by play on radio?
Nah probably would rather complain about everything on his radio show.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
damram wrote: 1 month ago Nothing against DJ Face, I actually like the songs he plays. I like the sound of the pep band more. There is something about live music that gets the body going.
Mix some electric guitar into that Rhody band
Yes! Agreed! I suck at guitar but would gladly volunteer
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

That’s ironic. No Kanye?

One of his songs was used as a player intro songs for a few seasons… 🤔
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 1 month ago This was the student section for the 4pm St Louis Game Saturday

IMG_2497.jpeg
I'm going to be honest - the crowds have actually impressed me this year. Never mind announced, but for bodies in the seats I think our fans have showed up significantly more than I'd have expected with the performances that we've put out. Certainly not sellouts, but I've been shocked plenty of times by the fans that show up for the matchups after some of the losses we've sustained.

Students will be an uphill battle. There are no students at URI who have seen a winning team. If you're a senior this year, you saw 2 seasons of losing David Cox basketball post-covid, and 2 seasons of the subsequent rebuild. Getting kids back is going to take winning and winning alone. You get 2 years of kids living on campus to get some good memories in there, and if not, good luck getting those kids to drive from down the line to the RC.

Agree with you but it has come to my understanding that sophomores either cannot or do not live on campus anymore. Technically 70-75ish% of students are off campus.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 month ago

IMG_2497.jpeg

Agree with you but it has come to my understanding that sophomores either cannot or do not live on campus anymore. Technically 70-75ish% of students are off campus.
I mean the dorms hold 6300 and there's roughly 13k undergrads. Pretty close to half.

Regardless, the point is you need to be good and give kids good memories when they're on campus so that they're attached to the team when they move 20-40 minutes away and are willing to put in the effort to make the trip.

So I don't blame the kids for not showing up in droves when the freshman can't even look at the seniors and say "what's your favorite basketball memory?"
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good news. 99% probability the season will be over in one week by the end of next Wednesday night. Our staff will be able to entirely focus on recruiting sooner than most other programs.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Good news. 99% probability the season will be over in one week by the end of next Wednesday night. Our staff will be able to entirely focus on recruiting sooner than most other programs.
Once all the players meet individually with the staff, we will have a pretty good idea of how things will shake out.
0 x
JushinThunderLiger
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JushinThunderLiger »

Worse ways to end the year than double fisting a couple of beers in what seems like will be a competitive game
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s get a win tonight ! Hopefully we put it all together shoot well and get some timely stops
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed, Reef.

Let’s see some solid Rhody D tonight, crisp ball movement and good shooting on O and smart play.

Let’s get a win tonight.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Agreed, Reef.

Let’s see some solid Rhody D tonight, crisp ball movement and good shooting on O and smart play.

Let’s get a win tonight.
No doubt about it Drums , that is the recipe for SUCCESS
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know why, but I have a feeling some things start to click tonight and we come away with a decent win. I hope I don't regret this post in a few hours...
0 x