3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/6 | George Mason | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I feel for Archie, the recruiting world is an absolute dumpster fire. Still pushing for him, and this team.
Feeling for Archie also. Even tough I have been critical of his coaching the x and o in the past and early this season. Mrs 105 went over a few seats to thanks Archie’s wife for coming to games and to hang in there. She was appreciative. It’s a lonely tough business when it gets this bad.

Great Job Mrs 105 !!!

on a side note.. when I hear of Mrs. 105 I think of "Mrs Columbo" .. hahaha

I know we don't see it now, but we have the right man to right the ship

the ARCH-itect !
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Random thoughts about last night while trying to forget about the last six years or so…

The Governor was taking photos with Ramette seniors?
Haha!!! Never seen that before.

Also, the Mason kid airballed a dunk in the first half.
Never seen that either, unless you count when me and 108 were playing pickup in his driveway.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 month ago For everyone who cannot stand so-called "coach speak," be thankful you have Archie Miller not blowing smoke up anyone's rear. end He sees exactly what everyone else sees. He's 100% truthful to the fans. He's not sugarcoating it. His honesty and straightforwardness is refreshing and spot on, which is unfortunate because the assessment for all who love URI hoops is not in a good place.

There are players that have quit, quit on their teammates, quit on their coaches, quit on the fans. Some players may be talented, they and their coaches may say the right things in the recruiting process, they work hard in the offseason...but ultimately, nobody (NOBODY!) knows how much they want it, how much of a team player they are, how they respond to tough coaching, to adversity, to an opponent who is just as good, just as talented but fiercer competitor until it hits them square in the face. Many, but not all, URI players clearly lack the mental fortitude to overcome, make their teammates better, hold themselves accountable before holding others accountable. The players are not as good as they think they are. Coaches can scream, yell, come up with every motivational ploy in the books...but you absolutely cannot make somebody care just like you cannot make somebody love somebody else.

Archie and his staff did not forget how to coach basketball. This is Archie's program. He knows that. He knows what he's hired to do. He knows this is not what he envisioned...and I can only imagine how many sleepless nights he has had. He also knows he has four years to get this straightened out or he will be shown the door. He knows how the coaching business works. Nobody feels worse than he does. He got into coaching for probably the same reasons most coaches do: loves the game, loves working with young men, and loves the competition (and the winning). Right now, he's miserable because he's got nothing to show for any of that.

With that said, he has my 100% support. He said, "we'll be good when we're good." And I say, "I'll support him until I don't support him."
Perfection.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago I feel for Archie, the recruiting world is an absolute dumpster fire. Still pushing for him, and this team.
Feeling for Archie also. Even tough I have been critical of his coaching the x and o in the past and early this season. Mrs 105 went over a few seats to thanks Archie’s wife for coming to games and to hang in there. She was appreciative. It’s a lonely tough business when it gets this bad.
i'm sure they're drying their tears with hundies.

boo hoo.
1 x
:lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Last night's official reported attendance of 3,139 was the lowest of the entire season. A weeknight game, rain, poor performance of the team, and good sense of fans likely kept the number down. This season registered the second lowest average attendance in the history of the Ryan Center. I have added the numbers to 2023-24 Ryan Center Home Attendance with a bit of analysis.

Link:
viewtopic.php?t=9889
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I'm actually beginning to wonder if Archie decides to hang it up and join the list of coaches retiring from the game due to the transfer and NIL issues, not to mention the seemingly more difficult issue of dealing with todays players attitudes

Maybe not now but soon, if things dont improve?

Who wants to go out this way of course, but I can see more coaches joining the list.
Bone, the same thought has crossed my mind periodically the second half of the season regarding Archie potentially walking away.

Like you, I don’t think it could happen soon. Another year or two of frustration with players and I could envision him perhaps rethinking if it is worth coaching in college any longer at the Division 1 level.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I'm actually beginning to wonder if Archie decides to hang it up and join the list of coaches retiring from the game due to the transfer and NIL issues, not to mention the seemingly more difficult issue of dealing with todays players attitudes

Who wants to go out this way of course, but I can see more coaches joining the list.
Bone, the same thought has crossed my mind periodically the second half of the season regarding Archie potentially walking away.

Like you, I don’t think it could happen soon. Another year or two of frustration with players and I could envision him perhaps rethinking if it is worth coaching in college any longer at the Division 1 level.
It wouldn't shock me if he walked away. He had a nice cushy job at the Field of 68 which he said he really enjoyed. Yes, he's a coach. It's in his blood. That's what he loves. But if it's making him miserable and he could go back to his job as an analyst, would it shock anybody?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago

boo hoo.
I don't understand thanking her for coming to her husband's games???She gets seats that are fairly insulated from a lot of the negativity. Her husband is making plenty of $$$$. I'm sure its not easy but it comes with the territory.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 month ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago

boo hoo.
I don't understand thanking her for coming to her husband's games???She gets seats that are fairly insulated from a lot of the negativity. Her husband is making plenty of $$$$. I'm sure its not easy but it comes with the territory.
Yea, I don’t feel bad for Archie at all.

He’s not the only mid major coach Struggling in this recruiting environment.

These are all his guys.

He’s making millions.

Tough for me to feel bad for the guy. He knew the environment he was joining when he decided to come here.
2 x
Go Rhody
Keaney203
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Keaney203 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

yeah...dubs, if he stays or not, don't see him as a difference-maker on a good team
I agree, he shows hustle and I have nothing against him, but there is no way he would receive significant minutes on a decent team. No way. He's not athletic at this level.

What’s wrong with that ?

He’s returning on my team as a viable sniper off the bench

been begging all year for him - glad he’s getting a look
I am sure Dubs getting minutes the past few games is not a coincidence. Makes me really think that Archie wants him back next year, so giving him minutes is his proof of more minutes coming. We don't see everything that Archie sees in practice and behind closed doors. I am sure that he knows the guys that care, try hard every day, and can help make a difference next year. Archie will do what he can to make sure they are here next year. Fingers crossed.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

It wouldn't shock me if he walked away. He had a nice cushy job at the Field of 68 which he said he really enjoyed. Yes, he's a coach. It's in his blood. That's what he loves. But if it's making him miserable and he could go back to his job as an analyst, would it shock anybody?
Let’s see what happens in the next 2 years , the first year was a pass and this season has been a drastic underperformance

We know Arch is a grinder so I’m sure he knows the next two years are crucial
2 x
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Coach_NDuke »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Speaking of potential returnees…

Personally, I like Lou K. He is one of the very few with any sack on the team. Could be a good locker room guy if he stays. Unfortunately, I think he doesn’t have the talent or quickness to be more than a backup at this level at best.

It is probably best for him - from a playing time standpoint - if he drops back down to a lower conference.
Yeah I like Luis as well.

I remember Arch thinking the ceiling of the team couldn't be reached until Ways could play with him. Never really materialized.

I think he and Hammond could be pretty dynamic together with Luis playing off the ball.
I don't think so Peter, Ben is high speed, Luis is at Luis speed. The challenge for Mr. Hammond is that he is used to being surrounded by 4 and 5 star athletes that defend and run the floor. Next year will be like a trip to Mars for him. He could come to this conclusion before he arrives.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m on the fence with Luis K , I like him but if the staff wants to move on them I’m ok with that as well
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago I’m on the fence with Luis K , I like him but if the staff wants to move on them I’m ok with that as well
Same, but I think they'll look to keep him
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reef wrote: 1 month ago I’m on the fence with Luis K , I like him but if the staff wants to move on them I’m ok with that as well

he didnt make my list

bye !
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago

he didnt make my list

bye !
I'm skeptical of your list...don't see how you can go 8 deep (which is too many) and leave off LK...
2 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Yes it would shock me. He is not walking away from 1.8 million dollars and if he is the competitor that I think he is, he wants to prove he can still do this. I mean if I was him, I would be motivated to shut people like me up. I would be very happy with that. I just want to enjoy going to the Ryan Center again. It has been awhile.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

As a bigger body guard who is capable of going down low, is a plus offensive player, and can at least handle the ball? I'd like him to stay. I'm figuring House is on the way out, and you'll need guys who are capable of scoring/not afraid of the moment, which Luis has proven he can capably handle.

He's been playing on the ball which really isn't his strength. As long as there's not an issue between the ears, I'd think he'd be a good potential leader on this team next year.

(anyone else think it's funny that literally no one cares about the fact that we have one game left and then the A10 tourney? We've all just collectively moved onto the offseason? Lolz. I hate it here)
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
As a bigger body guard who is capable of going down low, is a plus offensive player, and can at least handle the ball? I'd like him to stay. I'm figuring House is on the way out, and you'll need guys who are capable of scoring/not afraid of the moment, which Luis has proven he can capably handle.

He's been playing on the ball which really isn't his strength. As long as there's not an issue between the ears, I'd think he'd be a good potential leader on this team next year.

(anyone else think it's funny that literally no one cares about the fact that we have one game left and then the A10 tourney? We've all just collectively moved onto the offseason? Lolz. I hate it here)
That’s what I like most about Luis game his ability to score in the post , he uses his body nicely and can finish over most guys
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago (anyone else think it's funny that literally no one cares about the fact that we have one game left and then the A10 tourney? We've all just collectively moved onto the offseason? Lolz. I hate it here)
Oh to be excited about the last regular season game, perhaps determining whether we stay in the top 15 rankings nationally, or if we go undefeated in conference play this year!

Perhaps to determine whether we get the double-bye in the A10, or maybe even just the single bye game!

Or even to see if we can defeat a top-ranked team in a major upset a la St. Joe's coming into The Ryan back in the day, with a packed house and Dickie V. on the call!

Dream on!

Instead, here we are. Blows.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I left at the under 8. In the first half!!! They were down by 8. I knew the game was over. Sad times for sure.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want to think we have a chance to win a couple games in Brooklyn but just the way we been playing lately it looks like a few guys are checked out
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago

I left at the under 8. In the first half!!! They were down by 8. I knew the game was over. Sad times for sure.
We left 2 minutes into the second. Wasn't upending the kids bedtimes watching that effort.

Pretty sure my 4 year old was going to get nightmares if he had to watch House hang his head and not run up the floor again.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The team has mailed it in already.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago

Based on the attendance last night, so has the fan base.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago

Yes it would shock me. He is not walking away from 1.8 million dollars and if he is the competitor that I think he is, he wants to prove he can still do this. I mean if I was him, I would be motivated to shut people like me up. I would be very happy with that. I just want to enjoy going to the Ryan Center again. It has been awhile.
I wonder how much he was making at Field of 68?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah, I'm fine with Luis coming back. He has some great games. I don't think he's an A10 starter, but he's a dude who will win you some games. The guard we absolutely can't bring back is Ways. We need to upgrade the backup PG position.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, if the team has given up, why should we give a shit? Most of these kids don't deserve to step on the same floor as some of our all-time greats who bled Rhody Blue. Last year we just sucked. This year, we have talent, but we give up. Sucks
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Morgan seems like a very nice lady. It cannot be easy at all.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago
Ya, if the team has given up, why should we give a shit? Most of these kids don't deserve to step on the same floor as some of our all-time greats who bled Rhody Blue. Last year we just sucked. This year, we have talent, but we give up. Sucks
I look back to TJ Buchanan, who played on some bad teams, but that dude gave blood on the court. We have no one like him on this team.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I look back to TJ Buchanan, who played on some bad teams, but that dude gave blood on the court. We have no one like him on this team.
Yup. I've posted here a few times in the last few months about how I want Archie to bring on a player like TJ. A leader. A dude that's ok with coming off the bench or starting. TJ had a very solid senior year for us. We need a vet point guard to mentor Hammond.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup. I've posted here a few times in the last few months about how I want Archie to bring on a player like TJ. A leader. A dude that's ok with coming off the bench or starting. TJ had a very solid senior year for us. We need a vet point guard to mentor Hammond.
I don’t know if you can bring in a vet like TJ thru the portal.

TJ isn’t the TJ we know if he was a transfer.

4 year player, in the building all those hours, two coaches, player turnover made him the player we know and loved.

Granted, in this day us having a 4 year player like TJ may be rare.

So yea, might have to get that type of kid in the portal.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Yup, I've moved onto the off-season because the team has mentally moved onto the off-season. I won't be going out of my way to be home to watch them on Saturday.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Classy move by the Missus. 👏
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Betting he still has scars on his legs from all the floor burns he got!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The Magnet!!!
IMG_2532.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Watched the replay of the game on ESPN+ (glutton for punishment :roll: :roll: )

Broadcast team:
1. Started off saying “it’s a beautiful night in Kingston”. Huh? It’s rained for 3 days, raining driving to the game, raining walking in, downpour upon leaving - fitting ending to the home game schedule?? Just strange comment from student announcer

2. Said “if you are sitting at home and you still want to come out to the game tonight they have $2 hot dogs and $5 beer.” But hot dogs were only prior to the game. Once the game started hot dogs went back to $5. I doubt anyone sitting at home would change their mind and show up after game start anyway. Waste of time comment.

3. As I’ve seen before, imho too much talking be the broadcast team. It’s as if they are doing a radio broadcast where people can’t see who is passing to who or when they shoot. It’s ok to be quiet and let the action speak.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

I left right as the first half was complete. First time in 30 years of being a season ticket holder. I had seen enough. I really hope we can become competitive again. Would love to see us give it another run. I love everything I hear from Archie - hasnt translated to wins. I dont love the Packline. I dont think we have the athletes for multiple years to learn the packline and fully understand and play team defense.

Hopeful for better times
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago The Magnet!!!

IMG_2532.jpeg
What is the opening Bid?🤪
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago
ramster wrote: 1 month ago The Magnet!!!

IMG_2532.jpeg
What is the opening Bid?🤪
I think these are a “gift” along with other stuff of the NIL $10 per month subscription.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Thank you spooky
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Watched the replay of the game on ESPN+ (glutton for punishment :roll: :roll: )

Broadcast team:
1. Started off saying “it’s a beautiful night in Kingston”. Huh? It’s rained for 3 days, raining driving to the game, raining walking in, downpour upon leaving - fitting ending to the home game schedule?? Just strange comment from student announcer

2. Said “if you are sitting at home and you still want to come out to the game tonight they have $2 hot dogs and $5 beer.” But hot dogs were only prior to the game. Once the game started hot dogs went back to $5. I doubt anyone sitting at home would change their mind and show up after game start anyway. Waste of time comment.

3. As I’ve seen before, imho too much talking be the broadcast team. It’s as if they are doing a radio broadcast where people can’t see who is passing to who or when they shoot. It’s ok to be quiet and let the action speak.
I thought the student broadcasters were getting better as the season went on but then they kept switching announcers
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago

Forget the competitor part....as long as there is a "Mrs" Miller...he ain't walking away from $1.8 large...
0 x