Houston, we have a problem

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Houston, we have a problem

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago Hey look at the good news. Things are so bad they are offering $5 Bud Light, Bud Light Seltzer Michelob Ultra and Muse until last call. The beauty of supply and demand at work. What is this like 60% off the regular price.

And even better news if you are a season ticket holder, they are providing you with a season ticket holder appreciation gift, but only if you show up to the game. This might be tacky for some, but it will result in me being at the game when I had no intentions of going. My wife loves magnets and she loves the Rams head so we will be there to pick up our gift. The question is do we stay for the game (I kid, I think).
Can you take the beers to go? :lol:
The Muse will actually be a good deal. For me, the best thing Whaler's has ever made.
It's pretty good, but way overpriced in stores where I've seen it, at $16+ per sixer.

It's been a long season, that's for sure, but only one more wakeup before we finally get that freekn magnet.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

4Diffs wrote: 1 month ago Hey look at the good news. Things are so bad they are offering $5 Bud Light, Bud Light Seltzer Michelob Ultra and Muse until last call. The beauty of supply and demand at work. What is this like 60% off the regular price.

And even better news if you are a season ticket holder, they are providing you with a season ticket holder appreciation gift, but only if you show up to the game. This might be tacky for some, but it will result in me being at the game when I had no intentions of going. My wife loves magnets and she loves the Rams head so we will be there to pick up our gift. The question is do we stay for the game (I kid, I think).
Dude. I am LOLing 🤣
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

The Muse will actually be a good deal. For me, the best thing Whaler's has ever made.
It's pretty good, but way overpriced in stores where I've seen it, at $16+ per sixer.

It's been a long season, that's for sure, but only one more wakeup before we finally get that freekn magnet.
Wait. Mews or Muse?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The most alarming thing to me about where we are 1.8 seasons into the Archie Miller administration is the complete lack of a team culture. It seems like the importance of building the culture was not lost on Archie, as the Attitude is Everything slogan appeared pretty much immediately. But the follow through on that idea hasn’t been evident at all. Comparisons to Hurley’s early tenure are lacking to me, even if you might be able to draw some parallels based on the record alone if you squint hard enough, because at this point in his tenure the culture that Hurley was building was already apparent. I happen to agree that attitude is everything, and so far the attitude of the basketball team under Archie Miller appears to be “eh, whatever.”
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote: 1 month ago The most alarming thing to me about where we are 1.8 seasons into the Archie Miller administration is the complete lack of a team culture. It seems like the importance of building the culture was not lost on Archie, as the Attitude is Everything slogan appeared pretty much immediately. But the follow through on that idea hasn’t been evident at all. Comparisons to Hurley’s early tenure are lacking to me, even if you might be able to draw some parallels based on the record alone if you squint hard enough, because at this point in his tenure the culture that Hurley was building was already apparent. I happen to agree that attitude is everything, and so far the attitude of the basketball team under Archie Miller appears to be “eh, whatever.”
Yes, and the other thing we’ve heard from Archie, is.”playing the right way………” whether it is on the recruiting trail, team development, or anything else in the program, what we are seeing is not the right way to me……the right way to me is more than a record.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 month ago The most alarming thing to me about where we are 1.8 seasons into the Archie Miller administration is the complete lack of a team culture. It seems like the importance of building the culture was not lost on Archie, as the Attitude is Everything slogan appeared pretty much immediately. But the follow through on that idea hasn’t been evident at all. Comparisons to Hurley’s early tenure are lacking to me, even if you might be able to draw some parallels based on the record alone if you squint hard enough, because at this point in his tenure the culture that Hurley was building was already apparent. I happen to agree that attitude is everything, and so far the attitude of the basketball team under Archie Miller appears to be “eh, whatever.”
That is concerning TP, but not totally surprising when you have 2 complete roster overhauls in 2 years.
That doesn't make it easy to develop a culture, when you consider possibly changing the habits of the incoming players.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
That is concerning TP, but not totally surprising when you have 2 complete roster overhauls in 2 years.
That doesn't make it easy to develop a culture, when you consider possibly changing the habits of the incoming players.
3 complete roster overhauls in 3 years inbound. Lookout below!!
0 x
:lol:
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I never thought I'd ever have an occasion to quote Spiro Agnew. There are so many "nattering nabobs of negativity" on here. Yes - I get it. The hill is steep. But so many look at how bad things have been, are, and will be, that the new banner should have a pic of Eeyore up there.
Analysis? For sure. But the coaching landscape has changed dramatically in the last few years. It's easy to be critical, but none of us truly know the challenges presented in the new era. It's the Wild West. The players have all the negotiating power. Hopefully the pendulum will swing to the middle, but in the interim let's critique, not criticize. (Am now tucking the soap box back under the desk and awaiting the influx of flak!)
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

'Eh, whatever' are on the good days. At other times, it's 'eff this'.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

What's the over/under on new faces next year?
9 again?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago What's the over/under on new faces next year?
9 again?
New faces isn't the issue, it's the norm. UConn won a national title with 7 new faces last year. They've got 6 this year.

It's your core. Question is, who is that core on this team? Who's got the attitude issue(s)?

From a priority perspective I look at it like this

Tier 1 (must keep) - Estevez, Fuchs, Green

Those guys I look at having tremendous upside and A10 level talent, just need more time to mature. Cam, despite his wall, was easily the only offensive player who seemed to give you a spark. Fuchs, despite some dumb, young, stupid plays and periods of inadequate effort, is a large human who can dominate if he wants to. He's young so I'm holding onto the hope that he's going to grow and get better while working on his touch around the basket. He's a poor man's Cyril and if he follows that trajectory we'll be alright. Green and Fuchs may have some issues based on the on court stuff, and he has defensive lapses, but he's one of our top 3 best players, easily our best offensive player, and is a guy that could benefit from a PG and a better defense around him so he's not caught on an island.

Tier 2 (should keep) - Weston, Kortright

Both have shown that at times they can be either unbeatable defensively, clutch, or dominant. Both had periods where they've disappeared, but they've also been playing out of position trying to cover up for a thin roster overall. Kortright off the ball would probably improve the offense tremendously when Hammond is ready to take over. Hopefully with another year of being together, 4 out of these 5 guys, can get you to where you want to go. If we want to go anywhere next year, someone from this group needs to step up and become a leader.

Tier 3 (talent, but like...wtf is wrong) - House, Montgomery, Foumena

Like yeah, all 3 of these guys have tremendous upside. We've seen games where all 3 of them are dominant and you say "wow, we're a good team" and then you see games where they pout, ignore coaching, do ridiculously dumb things, force things they shouldn't, or flat out stop caring. They clearly have issues between the ears. Whether it's their attitude, or just the adjustment period to playing at this level - I looked at these 3 as leaders and cornerstones 4 months ago, and now I find myself questioning if they make the team better or worse overall.

Tier 4 (could stay, understand if you go) - Dubsky, Brown

One's a good shooter, one's a good defender, but just not enough athleticism to play both ends of the floor at this level. It's never a bad thing to have a shooter or a defensive big on your bench, but these are the break glass in case of a specific situation type guys, not serious rotation pieces on a really good team. Maybe they could develop into that, but I don't expect either of them to want to wait for that to happen.

Tier 5 (thank you for your service) - Always, Rory

Good dudes, but really lack consistency to become regular or dependable rotation guys. Ways, despite it being his first year at this level clearly isn't cut out for it. Can't have your backup PG not able to run the offense, and Rory is going to be one of those guys who flourishes at a lower level like Bassy - but won't crack a rotation up at the A10 level.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Based on PT from last night, a couple of tier 2 & 3 guys are likely moving on. Did AM comment on why specific players got no run?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

some starters need to move on also...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 month ago Based on PT from last night, a couple of tier 2 & 3 guys are likely moving on. Did AM comment on why specific players got no run?
Yeah I'm assuming all of tier 3 are gone based on their attitudes and how last night went. I could see Weston going which would really hurt for a team that will need some type of senior leadership.

If House/Montgomery go - that immediately opens up the 2 and 3 spots on the roster. Weston is the obvious choice at the 3. Then it's Kortright starting at PG to begin the year with Hammond taking over those duties, and allowing Luis to move to the 2 or 3 while he balances time with Cam and Weston.

While the "wild west" of roster movement makes it hard to start/keep a culture, it does help you make quick decisions if there are clubhouse cancers that need to be removed.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone know why Foumena and Weston posed for the Senior Night photo?

I'm guessing they walked out with Bilau as a show of support.

I was in the concourse for when Bilau walked out, so don't know if he had any family with him.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Keep whatever combo of guys you want and Arch can bring in HIS OWN GUYS, AGAIN. it's not going to matter if he & his staff aren't going to make adjustments in game, game to game, and play to his players strengths. if he's set on packline D this and whatever, forget it. forcing a particular system on guys who can't do it, don't want to do it, don't understand it, ect, it's not going to work. DO SOMETHING ELSE. that's coaching. work with what you brought in and stop being thick headed and stubborn.

this shitting on guys in post game pressers is fucking lame. he brought these guys in and they wanted to come here at some point along the way (I assume), so what changed after they got here? guys don't want to work, hustle, and play their balls off? fucking sit them. it's not hard. If we don't have 7 guys on the bench chomping at the bit to get in there, we've got much bigger problems then we think.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Liked the Tier breakdown. Regarding Dubs, I keep hearing he lacks size, speed, toughness, athleticism to a rotation guy at this level or on a good team. Fine, but news flash, we are not a good team at this level, probably won’t be one next year either. So maybe he does have a role in the build up to be a catch and shoot bomber in a program clawing out of conference bottom. Run some sets for him to get open.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Anyone know why Foumena and Weston posed for the Senior Night photo?

I'm guessing they walked out with Bilau as a show of support.

I was in the course for when Bilau walked out, so don't know if he had any family with him.
I don't think he had any family there. Weston has said that he and Bilau are roommates and they're close. That's probably why he walked with him. I don't know about Foumena.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The problem with getting a lot of guys in the portal is that you really don't know what type of person you're getting. With high school recruits, sometimes you're with them for 2 years, sometimes even more. You talk to them often. You get to know them. You visit and get to know their families. By the time they get on campus, you know who they are. The portal guys, you don't start to get to know them until they're already here. Like I said, with high school kids, you have 2 years or so to get to know them. With the portal guys, what is it, 2 weeks? And that's just how it is. There isn't time to get to know any of these guys. You can watch all the tape and read all the scouting reports you want. That's not going to tell you if a kid has an attitude or if they give up when there's a little adversity. Archie talked about this in one of his media sessions. So, it looks like it's going to happen again. And again, it'll be a crapshoot.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago The problem with getting a lot of guys in the portal is that you really don't know what type of person you're getting. With high school recruits, sometimes you're with them for 2 years, sometimes even more. You talk to them often. You get to know them. You visit and get to know their families. By the time they get on campus, you know who they are. The portal guys, you don't start to get to know them until they're already here. Like I said, with high school kids, you have 2 years or so to get to know them. With the portal guys, what is it, 2 weeks? And that's just how it is. There isn't time to get to know any of these guys. You can watch all the tape and read all the scouting reports you want. That's not going to tell you if a kid has an attitude or if they give up when there's a little adversity. Archie talked about this in one of his media sessions. So, it looks like it's going to happen again. And again, it'll be a crapshoot.
then get out of the portal and hit the pavement and hustle like you want guys to hustle for you.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago Keep whatever combo of guys you want and Arch can bring in HIS OWN GUYS, AGAIN. it's not going to matter if he & his staff aren't going to make adjustments in game, game to game, and play to his players strengths. if he's set on packline D this and whatever, forget it. forcing a particular system on guys who can't do it, don't want to do it, don't understand it, ect, it's not going to work. DO SOMETHING ELSE. that's coaching. work with what you brought in and stop being thick headed and stubborn.

this shitting on guys in post game pressers is fucking lame. he brought these guys in and they wanted to come here at some point along the way (I assume), so what changed after they got here? guys don't want to work, hustle, and play their balls off? fucking sit them. it's not hard. If we don't have 7 guys on the bench chomping at the bit to get in there, we've got much bigger problems then we think.

i have no problem with it - they deserved it.. playing with no heart whatsoever

if it was up to me i would show most of them the door

it is what it is.. but i don't want players that can't play with effort
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago Keep whatever combo of guys you want and Arch can bring in HIS OWN GUYS, AGAIN. it's not going to matter if he & his staff aren't going to make adjustments in game, game to game, and play to his players strengths. if he's set on packline D this and whatever, forget it. forcing a particular system on guys who can't do it, don't want to do it, don't understand it, ect, it's not going to work. DO SOMETHING ELSE. that's coaching. work with what you brought in and stop being thick headed and stubborn.

i have no problem with it - they deserved it.. playing with no heart whatsoever

if it was up to me i would show most of them the door

it is what it is.. but i don't want players that can't play with effort
I dont want guys that dont want to be here either. Go all in then. Call them out by name. 'little johnny doesn't like me anymore and so he didn't work hard tonight but i continued to play him so it's my fault too'
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago The problem with getting a lot of guys in the portal is that you really don't know what type of person you're getting. With high school recruits, sometimes you're with them for 2 years, sometimes even more. You talk to them often. You get to know them. You visit and get to know their families. By the time they get on campus, you know who they are. The portal guys, you don't start to get to know them until they're already here. Like I said, with high school kids, you have 2 years or so to get to know them. With the portal guys, what is it, 2 weeks? And that's just how it is. There isn't time to get to know any of these guys. You can watch all the tape and read all the scouting reports you want. That's not going to tell you if a kid has an attitude or if they give up when there's a little adversity. Archie talked about this in one of his media sessions. So, it looks like it's going to happen again. And again, it'll be a crapshoot.
There is some truth to that as you do not get to know them as well in person. On the flip side however you also have some actual college game experience that you can look at for transfers and should be able to investigate whether there were any personality issues.

While some players gets pushed out into the portal, most players enter via their own decision. They are leaving for one reason or another as they are either not happy or think they can do better. Both of these scenarios could be harbingers for trouble. Many transfers may be malcontents that will not be happy wherever they are. Others leaving for what they consider better opportunities may seriously over-evaluate their talent and continue to hold onto that view.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
There is some truth to that as you do not get to know them as well in person. On the flip side however you also have some actual college game experience that you can look at for transfers and should be able to investigate whether there were any personality issues.

While some players gets pushed out into the portal, most players enter via their own decision. They are leaving for one reason or another as they are either not happy or think they can do better. Both of these scenarios could be harbingers for trouble. Many transfers may be malcontents that will not be happy wherever they are. Others leaving for what they consider better opportunities may seriously over-evaluate their talent and continue to hold onto that view.
Speaking of the portal, shouldn't every player in college basketball put their name in the portal to see if they can get a better deal somewhere else? As long as they still have the option to return if they don't find something better, why wouldn't they do it? Might as well make yourself a free agent and see what's out there. I actually would love it. Then it would become so ridiculous, the NCAA would have to do something about it.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago

RF1, good points from you and 78. Good discussion.

On a lighter note….

Sounds like a potential business opportunity: Portal Background Checks and Personality Evaluations, Inc.

Could institute flash pricing during the portal window.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Do we have a problem? Well, the last home game had about 1,000 people in the stands. Yeah, we have a problem.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big time critical year for URI one of the biggest I can recall
0 x