Pregame options

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Pregame options

Unread post by Masonfan »

Greetings - Mason alum/fan here - I come in peace!

I'm making my first ever trip to URI (and the entire state for that matter) with my 4 year old next week and was wondering if there was a spot near the arena for pregame meal/drinks, or if getting to the arena at 6pm and having crap concourse food is best option. Any hospitality rooms I can buy my way into?

Thanks in advance - happy to answer any substantive questions about our team in exchange for pregame information, sarcastic/dickhead responses are welcome also ;)
4 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: Pregame options

Unread post by spookydog »

If looking for good beer selection & food, personally the best place to go to is The Mews. Less than 15 minutes from the Ryan Center in downtown Wakefield.

If plan on eating earlier & looking for a beer closer to arena, I would go to Shaidzon Brewery. They are just 5 minutes from campus & the place I go to before every game.

Hope this helps
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Welcome aboard, Masonfan.

There are others here who will do an excellent job getting you the info you requested regarding pre-game optIons.

In the meantime, what did you think of GM’s performance at Loyola ? How do you like your chances in the A10T ?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THE POSITION OF HAVING TO BUY CONCOURSE FOOD.

Just sayin'...
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Back 40 is also a great spot, close enough to both Shaidzon along with The Ryan Center.
0 x
Go Rhody
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Back 40 is also a great spot, close enough to both Shaidzon along with The Ryan Center.
It is popular, but the menu is really lacking.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Mews is so crowded after a game that no one goes there anymore. Try Alaina’s on rt. 138. Also Wood River Inn further down where rts. 138 and 3 intersect.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Thanks everyone - much appreciated.

The Mason game vs Loyola - ouch. Fortunately my family was visiting and I had the game on in the background (missed most of first half watching our awesome women's OT win over 1st place Richmond too). Didn't follow the game closely since it was such a blowout.

I had floor seats for our game at Tennessee and our home game vs Loyola, which was much closer. The takeaway though seems to be that we struggle with bigger/physical teams. We have good height across the Board, but no bruisers. This was first exposed in our loss to Charlotte OOC (they had a giant 7 footer that we couldn't get past), and was of course highlighted @ Tennessee. Loyola kind of reminds me of last year's Fordham team.

As far as the A10T - I like our chances as much as anyone else's amongst the middle/2nd tier pack. Defense is our calling card, and we can score at all 3 levels (usually), and that is a recipe for success in a multi day tournament. We have shown we can beat/compete with all of the other top A10 teams, so no reason to think we wouldn't have a shot against any of the top 4 in the quarters.

The realistic expectation/hope for our fans (and for myself) is to reach the semi's, which we have yet to do in the A10.
Last edited by Masonfan 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Homestead Restaurant
750 S County Trail, Exeter, RI 02822
3 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

I've got a picky ass 4 yo, and we are coming from Newport, so I think I'll try and stuff him full of pizza before we leave and grab a beer at Shaidzon before hand - or maybe hit of Mews Tavern if we spend the afternoon in Narrangansett.

Thanks again for the recommendations!
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Comin from newport changes things!
Eat there!
Bowen’s wharf, Thames St, anywhere.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago Greetings - Mason alum/fan here - I come in peace!

I'm making my first ever trip to URI (and the entire state for that matter) with my 4 year old next week and was wondering if there was a spot near the arena for pregame meal/drinks, or if getting to the arena at 6pm and having crap concourse food is best option. Any hospitality rooms I can buy my way into?

Thanks in advance - happy to answer any substantive questions about our team in exchange for pregame information, sarcastic/dickhead responses are welcome also ;)
People are giving you absolutely terrible options because they're ignoring that you're coming with a 4 year old. If you were coming alone or with other adults they'd all be fine suggestions.

The answer is Albie's Place. It's right across the street from campus, it's got a big enough menu that you and your 4 year old should both be able to find something you want, and it's good enough that you'll be thankful you went there instead of getting food at the game. If you want to do Shaidzon Albie's will also deliver there, so now you're killing two birds with one stone

https://www.albiesplace.com/menu/

https://shaidzonbeer.com/west-kingston- ... -food-menu
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 months ago Comin from newport changes things!
Eat there!
Oh we will be, coming up a day early to do all the Newport places :)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago

People are giving you absolutely terrible options because they're ignoring that you're coming with a 4 year old. If you were coming alone or with other adults they'd all be fine suggestions.

The answer is Albie's Place. It's right across the street from campus, it's got a big enough menu that you and your 4 year old should both be able to find something you want, and it's good enough that you'll be thankful you went there instead of getting food at the game. If you want to do Shaidzon Albie's will also deliver there, so now you're killing two birds with one stone

…are you insinuating a 4 year old can’t handle/shouldn’t go to a casual place like Mews/any other restaurant?
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

…are you insinuating a 4 year old can’t handle/shouldn’t go to a casual place like Mews/any other restaurant?
They can, but Albie's is a significantly better option
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Plenty of Pizza 🍕 in South County. Pasquale’s Pizzeria Napoletana in South County Commons on Route 1 just outside of Wakefield has earned a well deserved national reputation. It’s all Naples including Peroni on tap! 😋

Campus is 15minutes from there. Concession at RC is mostly junk in my opinion.

Young kids do fine there.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

How did you fell about Kim English and O’Doro leaving?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Mews
1 x
:lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think you would both like Crazy Burger in Narragansett. Great burgers and milk shakes.
1 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Should have specified - but I was mostly wondering if there is a place that has any fan atmosphere before the game. I'm not worried about any places not being appropriate for my 4 yo, he can hang.

English and Oduro - funny, was just having a text conversation this morning with a friend/alum who lives in NY and he was asking why so many of our fans are so salty towards English. I told him English was never anything but friendly and engaging with me, but I think a lot of fans 1) got a used car salesmen vibe from him that was reinforced when he left after less than 24 months on campus, and 2) bitterness b/c his potential accomplishments at Mason that we all envisioned when he was hired never happened.

It's really a mixed bag of emotions/feelings towards Kim from our fan base, many wish him well (particularly the large donors who would have been involved or privy to whatever offer we tried to make to him to stay) and many wish him ill. My personal opinion, he took a $ offer no reasonable person in his position wouldn’t have taken. I don't wish him ill, though the bitter part of me may want to, but I also am not rooting for him going forward. He didn't even fulfill his initial contract term before jumping ship, so he isn't really relevant to me as a Mason fan anymore. I know Paulsen better, and I do wish him well and will follow and root for him if he can make Holy Cross worth following.

Oduro - love the kid and wish him the absolute best. He is a local product that was hardly recruited at all and worked his ass off to become the player he is. Nothing but a great kid by all accounts. He put in his four years and I can't fault him for taking the opportunity to play in the Big East and hopefully the NCAAT. Will root for him hardcore in NCAAT if they make it.
Last edited by Masonfan 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago I think you would both like Crazy Burger in Narragansett. Great burgers and milk shakes.
I think you underestimate how picky my 4 yo is ;) I'll check it out though - he might eat some french fries, depending on the shape and color. Seriously don't know how that kid is alive.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago I think you would both like Crazy Burger in Narragansett. Great burgers and milk shakes.
I think you underestimate how picky my 4 yo is ;) I'll check it out though - he might eat some french fries, depending on the shape and color. Seriously don't know how that kid is alive.
Yeah, maybe not then. They're called Crazy Burger for a reason. Not your average burger.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago Should have specified - but I was mostly wondering if there is a place that has any fan atmosphere before the game.
Not this year!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We do not have anything really that you could call a fan draw URi sports
Gathering type place that I know of. Nothing on campus. The Mews in Wakefield is the closest to that.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, the Mews used to be hopping when we were good. I'm not sure what it's like now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Mews is still perpetually packed and with a four year old the seating options are greatly reduced. If they're going to the Mews they should plan on getting there very early
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago We do not have anything really that you could call a fan draw URi sports
Gathering type place that I know of. Nothing on campus. The Mews in Wakefield is the closest to that.
And how sad is that
1 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago Yeah, the Mews used to be hopping when we were good. I'm not sure what it's like now.
the Mews is hopping without URI.

threads like this makes me miss Casey's.
4 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago Yeah, the Mews used to be hopping when we were good. I'm not sure what it's like now.

And Charlie O's. Brewmasters would still be fun, but not for a four year old
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 months ago

Yeah, what I meant to say was that when we were good, it would be hopping with URI fans. This is going back to the Skinner days when I'd see Al at the bar after games.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I just bumped a thread from 9 years ago with this same subject. Interesting.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Albies! Have such great memories of their steak and cheese - I used to go at least once a week back in the early 90s. Glad it's still kicking!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
Yeah, maybe not then. They're called Crazy Burger for a reason. Not your average burger.
It looks legit - maybe if I travel back with the wife for a future game ;)
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago Should have specified - but I was mostly wondering if there is a place that has any fan atmosphere before the game. I'm not worried about any places not being appropriate for my 4 yo, he can hang.

English and Oduro - funny, was just having a text conversation this morning with a friend/alum who lives in NY and he was asking why so many of our fans are so salty towards English. I told him English was never anything but friendly and engaging with me, but I think a lot of fans 1) got a used car salesmen vibe from him that was reinforced when he left after less than 24 months on campus, and 2) bitterness b/c his potential accomplishments at Mason that we all envisioned when he was hired never happened.

It's really a mixed bag of emotions/feelings towards Kim from our fan base, many wish him well (particularly the large donors who would have been involved or privy to whatever offer we tried to make to him to stay) and many wish him ill. My personal opinion, he took a $ offer no reasonable person in his position would have taken. I don't wish him ill, though the bitter part of me may want to, but I also am not rooting for him going forward. He didn't even fulfill his initial contract term before jumping ship, so he isn't really relevant to me as a Mason fan anymore. I know Paulsen better, and I do wish him well and will follow and root for him if he can make Holy Cross worth following.

Oduro - love the kid and wish him the absolute best. He is a local product that was hardly recruited at all and worked his ass off to become the player he is. Nothing but a great kid by all accounts. He put in his four years and I can't fault him for taking the opportunity to play in the Big East and hopefully the NCAAT. Will root for him hardcore in NCAAT if they make it.
Welcome Mason fan , great insights u provide

Also thoughts on RI native Tyler Kolek ? Is he better than you thought ?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Hi Mason Fan, glad to have you!
Back 40
Mews

Would be my recommendations. Full disclosure (I am related to the owners of Back 40), great place for PUB Food, nothing gourmet.

Enjoy Newport...favorite restaurant there is Scales and Shells on Thames Street!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago Hi Mason Fan, glad to have you!
Back 40
Mews

Would be my recommendations. Full disclosure (I am related to the owners of Back 40), great place for PUB Food, nothing gourmet.

Enjoy Newport...favorite restaurant there is Scales and Shells on Thames Street!
You’re a Culpo?

Have you met Christian McCaffrey yet?!
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Back 40
Mews

You’re a Culpo?

Or Braxton Berrios?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Easy choice. Mews
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 months ago Easy choice. Mews
Good atmosphere/ good bar food
Been bringing my daughter there since she was abt 2. She loves it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Back 40
Mews

You’re a Culpo?

Or Braxton Berrios?
Berrios has moved on lol
0 x
Go Rhody
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Back 40
Mews

You’re a Culpo?

Or Braxton Berrios?
I’m going to need an explanation here - I’m a lifelong Miami fan and alum, as well as a Niners fan since I was 4!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You’re a Culpo?

Or Braxton Berrios?
I’m going to need an explanation here - I’m a lifelong Miami fan and alum, as well as a Niners fan since I was 4!
Christian McCaffrey is engaged to Olivia Culpo who is from Cranston and won Miss Universe about a decade ago. She, along with family, owns Back 40. Also owns Union on Main in East Greenwich.

They’re getting married this summer.

Berrios used to date Olivia’s sister.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I take my nieces to Mews all the time and they love it. They are 5 and 4 now. I loved it as a kid as well. Albies is basically fast food. I love it but to have a nice sit down lunch that's not the place to go. I also have them sign a dollar and they love putting it on the wall. Since you'll be up 20 I would leave early and get a seat. Seating is the only issue sometimes.
Mews Dollar.jpg
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 months ago Comin from newport changes things!
Eat there!
Oh we will be, coming up a day early to do all the Newport places :)
do pizza and beer (if you want) in the dining room at Effie Filippou's Twisted Pizza ...5.3 mi from the stadium. Solid number of choices, nice open dining room area, good food choices (not Newport, but convenient) with good beer choices.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Mews pizza is good but when my kids were young they didn’t like it because of the herbs and spices they put on it. Still could be a good option for other kid friendly food.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You’re a Culpo?

Or Braxton Berrios?
Berrios has moved on lol
She still might know him....don't forget, he was a Pats draft pick.
0 x
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

reef wrote: 2 months ago
Masonfan wrote: 2 months ago Should have specified - but I was mostly wondering if there is a place that has any fan atmosphere before the game. I'm not worried about any places not being appropriate for my 4 yo, he can hang.

It's really a mixed bag of emotions/feelings towards Kim from our fan base, many wish him well (particularly the large donors who would have been involved or privy to whatever offer we tried to make to him to stay) and many wish him ill. My personal opinion, he took a $ offer no reasonable person in his position would have taken. I don't wish him ill, though the bitter part of me may want to, but I also am not rooting for him going forward. He didn't even fulfill his initial contract term before jumping ship, so he isn't really relevant to me as a Mason fan anymore. I know Paulsen better, and I do wish him well and will follow and root for him if he can make Holy Cross worth following.

Welcome Mason fan , great insights u provide

Also thoughts on RI native Tyler Kolek ? Is he better than you thought ?
Is the Big East player of the year better than I thought as a lightly recruited Mason freshman? Obviously!

We famously had one know it all on our message boards who trashed taking Oduro and Kolek, with him pointing out he is connected in the RI basketball community, Kolek’s HS competition was trash, blah blah blah.

The know it all got banned from our Boards and Kolek recently set the single game assist record for Marquette.

For shits and giggles go back and look up the Mason roster from 2020-2021 and then look up what Jordan Miller, Oduro, Kolek and Xavier Johnson are up to now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jordan Miller is a Clipper now , where is Xavier Johnson ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago Jordan Miller is a Clipper now , where is Xavier Johnson ?
A 3 second Google search you would see him averaging 22 at SIU.
0 x
Go Rhody
Masonfan
Frenchy Tomlin

reef wrote: 2 months ago Jordan Miller is a Clipper now , where is Xavier Johnson ?
SIU and 3rd in the nation in scoring, his little brother is at UCF playing for his godfather, Johnny Dawkins.

Do you all know which former URI player is the godfather of a former Mason player?
0 x