2/28 | VCU | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/28 | VCU | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Virginia Commonwealth University
Stuart C. Siegel, Richmond, VA
Wednesday, February 28, 2024
6:30PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
VCU’s Fan Forum

After losing at La Salle over the weekend in one of the more lackadaisical Rhody performances this season, and that is saying something, the University of Rhode Island Rams head to the Commonwealth of Virginia to take on the VCU Rams. Since most fans have mentally checked out on this season & the ones that haven’t are currently standing on the Washington Bridge hoping for it to finally collapse into the Seekonk River, I will include a trivia question to keep the handful of preview readers still interested. Sadly, that is how sad things have become for Rhody Nation. Along with Virginia, what are the other three states that are also commonwealths? Answer towards the bottom of the preview.

Although losing the head coach last year Mike Rhoades to Penn State in the offseason, VCU is right back towards the top of the A10 standings with new coach Ryan Odom. Weird, who knew you could retain dominance in a conference after losing your coach to a bigger program? The Rams of VCU were picked 2nd in the preseason polls, but struggled out of the gate, losing the first two conference games of the season, both at home to St. Bonaventure & George Washington. After that they won 9 of 10 & currently site in fourth at 10-4 in the A10. When Ryan Odom came to VCU from Utah State, he brought 2 players with him in Max Shulga & Sean Bairstow. Well, technically he brought 3 with him if you want to count his son, walk-on Connor Odom.

Senior Max Shulga, who was picked on the preseason all-conference second team, is leading the team in points with 14.7 & is third on the team at almost 5 per game & second on the team in assists at 3.7 per game. He is also an excellent from the line, shooting it at 87.6% for the season. Everyone on VCU is a great free throw shooter, with forward Toibu Lawal being the only exception who is shooting it 60.3% (which is basically the equivalent of David Green from the line). To put the free throw shooting in perspective, VCU is 6th in the nation at 79.1% while Rhody is 343rd in the country at 64.2. Yikes! The other main Utah St transfer Sean Bairstow, was picked preseason all-conference 3rd team, missed the first dozen or so games from a non-contact injury in practice right before the season. He needed surgery on his fifth metatarsal and has struggled shooting since coming back. To give you a sense of how bad his shooting has been, his eFG% is 40.2% (which is 2 percentage points worse than Always Wright’s). Although struggling with his shot, he still is fourth on the team in scoring just shy of 10 per game & is second on the team in rebounding (5.1) & first in assists at 4.6 per game. Second on the team in scoring is career vagabond, Joe Bamisile at 13.4 points per game. He started his career at Viriginia Tech & then transferred to George Washington. At GW he averaged 16.3 points per game & 5 rebounds. He parlayed that success & transferred to Oklahoma. After barely playing for the Sooners, he realized the grass isn’t always greener at P5 schools. Throw in the fact that his father was having health problems, having to be rushed to the hospital twice for heart failure that season, he transferred to VCU for his senior year to be closer to home. He became eligible to play from the same District Judge ruling that allowed David Green to play this season. Fun fact, after graduating he would be eligible to play a fifth year because of the pandemic. Could he possibly play for a fifth team in five years? Third on the team in scoring is Zeb Jackson, who is just shy of 11 per game. That name may ring familiar from last season’s dagger game winner to ruin Rhody’s upset win. He is a poor three-point shooter shooting at just over 26% while Shulga & Bamisile are both over 40%. Finally, forward Toibu Lawal is leading the team in rebounding at almost 6 per game. Not bad considering he is playing only 19 minutes per game. When not in a 4-guard lineup, he is splitting time with Cal transfer Kuany Kuany & Christian Fermin.

As for the Rams of Rhode Island, at the time of this writing we are still allowed in the A10. I guess we have that going for us. I think that is the only good news I could find. Weston did have a good game going for 12 & 6 after struggling against Richmond. He has played well in 4 of his last 5 games. Rams will need more of that to close out the season. Will David Fuchs be available Wednesday night after tweaking his ankle & missing the game Sunday against La Salle? He has 60% of the team’s double-doubles & 2/3rds of the conference play double-doubles. He will be much needed if Rhody even wants to sniff the chance of getting the win.

Can the Rams of Rhody Island sneak out a road victory against a much better Rams of Virginia team? The short answer is no. Hmmm…the long answer is also no. Rhody has lost 3 in a row to VCU but still has an overall winning record against them. Although the days of Havoc are long gone, the Siegel Center is a very tough place to get a road win. Apparently it is also a tough place to navigate for people with physical disabilities, so fuck that place. After shooting a miserable 30% against UMass last week, VCU must be salivating at the chance to light it up from the floor against the porous defense of Rhody. Oh yeah, if you have made it this far in the preview (which I doubt you have), the answer to the trivia question is Kentucky, Massachusetts & Pennsylvania are the other 3 commonwealths. My prediction is that the bad Rams win, VCU 81 – URI 68. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
18-9, 10-4 in the A10
27-8, 15-3 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 76 (201)
RPI: 45 (155)
KenPom: 86 (194)
BPI: 88 (208)
Barttovik: 91 (179)

Leaders:
Points – Max Shulga 14.7 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Toibu Lawal 5.9 (Soph., F)
Assists – Sean Bairstow 4.6 (Sr., G) (2.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 11-10
H: 5-3, A: 3-7, N: 3-0
Most Recent Matchup: 2/15/23 55-54 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – VCU
Match-up Predictor: 9.3% Chance of URI Winning
6 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/28 | VCU | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This has blowout written all over it. Get behind by 10 early, hang heads, get pissed, give up.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Trap game. Watch out
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has 13% to win..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

One of your best writeups of the year Spooky, thanks!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

VCU by 30
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I do not like this matchup for us. We are unraveling and they are ascending. This game could get ugly real fast.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Team Rankings has 13% to win..
Do they know something about the VCU team bus that nobody else knows?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Remember when we owned VCU, home and away, good or bad?

Those were the days.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We got any of that VCU magic left?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we're in trouble for this one.
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago This has blowout written all over it. Get behind by 10 early, hang heads, get pissed, give up.
Probably without the pissed part?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky, good job again.

This game comes at a time when Rhody is probably playing some of their worst basketball.

But as we all know anything can happen.

One thing for sure, Archie better have this team ready and prepared to play or it will be another blow out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago This has blowout written all over it. Get behind by 10 early, hang heads, get pissed, give up.
Probably without the pissed part?
Well, pissed when they come out of the game and then ignore the coaching staff.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU is a really good program Rhodes leaves and Odom comes in and they finish top 4 yet again

Somehow I hope we can get to the consistency of a Dayton and VCU
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This will be another beatdown.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago We got any of that VCU magic left?
If we do somehow pull out a win in this one there will be no denying the VCU magic is a real thing!! :lol:
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago We got any of that VCU magic left?
If we do somehow pull out a win in this one there will be no denying the VCU magic is a real thing!! :lol:
the "Mythbusters" of mojo games?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago Team Rankings has 13% to win..
That gives me agita but I will still watch.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

*bump*

Yikes!!! What a sad state of affairs that a gameday thread for a game that starts in 10 hours needs to be moved towards the top. Instead, a 9 year old thread talking about best pre-game location is getting more run than this thread.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 1 month ago *bump*

Yikes!!! What a sad state of affairs that a gameday thread for a game that starts in 10 hours needs to be moved towards the top. Instead, a 9 year old thread talking about best pre-game location is getting more run than this thread.
Correct Spooky, especially against VCU, that game has always been special.

Unfortunately, I guess many of the fans have moved on from this season and feel we are toast.

I think this off-season will probably generate more interest.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yup, if we were trending upward that would be more buzz, since we aren’t many have checked out, maybe I will keep the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions on in another room.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m old enough to remember us going on a streak of 7-1 against VCU. Made the trip down there Dan’s last year knowing we would get a dub. Today I’m hoping we keep it within 3 touchdowns. This shit ain’t easy.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago I’m old enough to remember us going on a streak of 7-1 against VCU. Made the trip down there Dan’s last year knowing we would get a dub. Today I’m hoping we keep it within 3 touchdowns. This shit ain’t easy.
Funny you brought that up BAR, I was also down there and probably saw you.
We were streaking at that point in the right direction, undefeated A10 (10-0).

Those were the days.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago I’m old enough to remember us going on a streak of 7-1 against VCU. Made the trip down there Dan’s last year knowing we would get a dub. Today I’m hoping we keep it within 3 touchdowns. This shit ain’t easy.
One of those games we were at home and Dowtin hit back to back, pull up 3s as he dribbled down the court.

One of the loudest I’ve ever heard The Ryan Center.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When Dowtin would pull back the bow and arrow. Good times. They will return.
1 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

On the happy thoughts side, only two weeks left in this dreadful season. URI is pretty much guaranteed to play in an A-10 PIG Tuesday 03/11/24 game. Even if they were to beat one of the league's other dregs, I cannot imagine them winning the next game on Wednesday. Very much looks to be the second straight 20 loss season and fourth losing season in a row. Dark days in Kingston are upon us.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
One of those games we were at home and Dowtin hit back to back, pull up 3s as he dribbled down the court.

One of the loudest I’ve ever heard The Ryan Center.
That was at home. I think he actually hit 3 in a row. Did the bow and arrow and yes roof was coming off the place. I think we went up like 25 on them and then Bones Hyland brought them all the way back but we prevailed. That was Cox’s 2nd season. We also beat them in A10 tourney in Cox’s first season when they allege Dowtin intentionally hurt Marcus Evans. We used to own them. I’m guessing since they joined the A10 we have the best or one of the best head to head records against them.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago On the happy thoughts side, only two weeks left in this dreadful season. URI is pretty much guaranteed to play in an A-10 PIG Tuesday 03/11/24 game. Even if they were to beat one of the league's other dregs, I cannot imagine them winning the next game on Wednesday. Very much looks to be the second straight 20 loss season and fourth losing season in a row. Dark days in Kingston are upon us.
Didn’t do any research but told someone the other day that this feels like the worst 4 year stretch in program history. We’ve had some awful 3 year runs like 2 Jerry D years and first Baron year. Last Baron year and first two of Dan. But can’t recall 4 in a row this dreadful.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago On the happy thoughts side, only two weeks left in this dreadful season. URI is pretty much guaranteed to play in an A-10 PIG Tuesday 03/11/24 game. Even if they were to beat one of the league's other dregs, I cannot imagine them winning the next game on Wednesday. Very much looks to be the second straight 20 loss season and fourth losing season in a row. Dark days in Kingston are upon us.
Didn’t do any research but told someone the other day that this feels like the worst 4 year stretch in program history. We’ve had some awful 3 year runs like 2 Jerry D years and first Baron year. Last Baron year and first two of Dan. But can’t recall 4 in a row this dreadful.
You have to go all the way back to the early to mid 1980's for a stretch as bad as this (four or more straight losing seasons). Weird fact about this period is that it was bookended by 20 win seasons before and after.

1985-86 | 9-19
1984-85 | 8-20
1983-84 | 6-22
1982-83 | 9-19
1981-82 | 10-17
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

That Spookydog is still putting this much effort into doing this is astounding.

Ram 🐏 fan extraordinaire as discussed in the Spooky thread.
The whole VCU havoc crap is annoying I’d really like to send those Rams to the pen. How bout our Rams turn into Border Collies in honor of Spookydog and chase the Richmond Rams off the court?

C’mon Rhody, show me something…

(Anything)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
You have to go all the way back to the early to mid 1980's for a stretch as bad as this. Weird fact about this period is that it was bookended by 20 win season before and after.

1985-86 | 9-19
1984-85 | 8-20
1983-84 | 6-22
1982-83 | 9-19
1981-82 | 10-17
Yes, you beat me to it RFI.

Claude English's last 3 seasons and both of Brendan Malone's 2 seasons.
0 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Before tonight's game, take a listen to our episode where we answer some of your questions and talk with Keaney Blue member SmartyBarrett!

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago

You have to go all the way back to the early to mid 1980's for a stretch as bad as this. Weird fact about this period is that it was bookended by 20 win season before and after.

1985-86 | 9-19
1984-85 | 8-20
1983-84 | 6-22
1982-83 | 9-19
1981-82 | 10-17
Yes, you beat me to it RFI.

Claude English's last 3 seasons and both of Brendan Malone's 2 seasons.

Malone was snake-bitten with so many close losses. You could however see an upward trajectory which Penders was then able to capitalize upon. Much of the Post Malone ;) years success was due to the talent he had assembled.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Yup, if we were trending upward that would be more buzz, since we aren’t many have checked out, maybe I will keep the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions on in another room.
It is absolutely nuts how many of these champions and second chance and wild card tournaments they had in the can because of the various strikes going on. We DVR episodes so we're always about two weeks behind, but its literally been about six months of this. The games are usually kind of competitive, but I like seeing complete randoms on there winning or losing big.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Yup, if we were trending upward that would be more buzz, since we aren’t many have checked out, maybe I will keep the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions on in another room.
It is absolutely nuts how many of these champions and second chance and wild card tournaments they had in the can because of the various strikes going on. We DVR episodes so we're always about two weeks behind, but its literally been about six months of this. The games are usually kind of competitive, but I like seeing complete randoms on there winning or losing big.
I just realized yesterday that I had 92 Jeopardy shows dvr'd....and also discovered you can set the thing so it won't keep more than 15...which is my new setting. Between that and ELR, we're good til the ncaat and baseball season
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am not looking forward to another loss tonight. However, I will watch to see who shows up for us, how Archie handles the rotation, if Cam can break out of his freshman slump, if Fuchs, if he plays, can pull off another double/double.

Go Rhody!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Point spread has increased from +12.5 to +13.5

Jdrums#3,
There is plenty of time for fans to be dejected, sad, angry, forlorn, predicting next year’s starting 5, predicting next year’s W/L record, etc after Selection Sunday.

But right now this is what most of us live for.

Last year 2 teams from among the 6 in the PIG’s won their -st game AND their 2nd game - meaning of the 3 play-in-games 2 of those 3 game winners moves to the Quarterfinals and played well in the Quarterfinals too!

I’m looking forward to seeing how the team plays and how individuals play tonight, Saturday vs St Louis and then next week vs George Mason.

Miller has been very clear expressing his disappointment with the defensive performance and last game expanded beyond just defense.

I want to see what Miller does with narrowing down the rotation hopefully to just 6,7 or max 8 players in Brooklyn and see how he distributes the minutes. He has talked about trimming the rotation but hasn’t done it yet.

Brooklyn is what they play for. That’s the Final Exam. Last year we failed vs LaSalle losing by 17 in a dismal performance.

March 18 the Free Agency Marketplace reopens :roll: :roll:

Meanwhile I’ll enjoy the next couple of weeks!!!!! Not dreading at all. Plenty of time to dread post March 18. And maybe later than that if we win the A10 Tournament Sunday March 17.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 month ago Point spread has increased from +12.5 to +13.5

Jdrums#3,
There is plenty of time for fans to be dejected, sad, angry, forlorn, predicting next year’s starting 5, predicting next year’s W/L record, etc after Selection Sunday.

Last year 2 teams from among the 6 in the PIG’s won their -st game AND their 2nd game - meaning of the 3 play-in-games 2 of those 3 game winners moves to the Quarterfinals and played well in the Quarterfinals too!

I’m looking forward to seeing how the team plays and how individuals play tonight, Saturday vs St Louis and then next week vs George Mason.

Miller has been very clear expressing his disappointment with the defensive performance and last game expanded beyond just defense.

I want to see what Miller does with narrowing down the rotation hopefully to just 6,7 or max 8 players in Brooklyn and see how he distributes the minutes. He has talked about trimming the rotation but hasn’t done it yet.

Brooklyn is what they play for. That’s the Final Exam. Last year we failed vs LaSalle losing by 17 in a dismal performance.

Meanwhile I’ll enjoy the next couple of weeks!!!!! Not dreading at all. Plenty of time to dread post March 18. And maybe later than that if we win the A10 Tournament Sunday March 17.
I think Archie is still experimenting or sending a message.
I am not really sure he has even found the best combinations yet; the team is still out of sync.

Very frustrating.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Hey we've come this far, why not finish watching this train wreck of a season to the end? We'll be at the last two home games as well, look for the paper bags!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3,

I am not really sure he has even found the best combinations yet; the team is still out of sync.

Very frustrating.

I think in and out with injuries has not helped the rotation movement.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3,

Very frustrating.
When Miller came he could do no wrong. And if anyone questioned anything he did you risked getting punched in the face.
Now it seems Miller can do nothing right

There’s always the middle……

Miller has given players opportunities for them to show what they can do. Very fair.

Expected starters tonight barring unforeseen injuries:
1. Fuchs has a solid shot at All Rookie Team. His minutes will likely increase on March 11
2. Weston has been inserted into the starting line up. Likely will continue starting and get 3 more starts under his belt
3. Green still getting into game shape. Only 1 rebound in each of the last 2 games. Must get more rebounding from the 4 spot
4. Kortright
5. House

Next 2 or 3?
Brown, Estevez, Montgomery, Wright, Foumena

Possibly if 1 or 2 of these 5 subs steps up in the next 3 games?

Most teams will be 6-7 man rotations in Brooklyn with starters getting major minutes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Where’s BlueMan?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Where’s BlueMan?
Writing up the post that will convince everyone there's "a chance" in Brooklyn hopefully? ;-) (Gonna have to be an extra long one this year?)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Writing up the post that will convince everyone there's "a chance" in Brooklyn hopefully? ;-) (Gonna have to be an extra long one this year?)
We Goin' Streaking?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
We Goin' Streaking?
If I had to guess, I would say the blueram…………
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago When Dowtin would pull back the bow and arrow. Good times. They will return.
He used up his eligibility!😀😀😀
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Fuchs dressed, not starting, Green not starting
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Fuchs dressed, not starting, Green not starting
Oh boy. This is gonna be painful.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Maybe zsteve will provide details, he said the 10th different starting lineup.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938