Who is Archie Miller?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Who is Archie Miller?

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago Archie should shake up the staff this offseason.

And he should hire Tyson Wheeler as a development focused assistant. Specifically to work with Ben (and all the guards).

Look at Tyson's last 2 PGs he mentored - Lilly at Brown is fantastic and before that Noah Fernandes at Umass.

He's a local legend, it would be a great PR move and it just makes a whole lot of basketball sense too.

Whether he brings in Tyson or not (he should) I would expect some staff changes this off-season.
I really like the idea of Tyson working with Hammond. Would love to have that happen.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Maybe it takes 2 seasons to learn this defense?
Or maybe it's too complicated in today's college game?
Archie has been disappointing as has the recruiting by the staff.
Next year is pivotal.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 month ago Maybe it takes 2 seasons to learn this defense?
Or maybe it's too complicated in today's college game?
Archie has been disappointing as has the recruiting by the staff.
Next year is pivotal.
We gotta keep a guy for 2+ seasons.

Weston is the best defender on this team.

Weston is also the only rotation player who was here last year...
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch gave a nice tribute to Josephat to start the presser
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago
Thanks for posting Stevey., Archie is very articulate.

I guess Bilau is the only player getting honored, plus the team managers.

Not sure the situation with Luis, House, and Green if they are getting their degrees.
We are all well aware that they do have eligibility left.

As Archie implied senior night has lost a lot of its luster because of the portal and all the player movement.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Regarding Archie’s Senior Night comments in the portal era, not only do I realize that I don’t and likely won’t have the connection to players like in the past but - and it is clearer to me now - the portal jumpers will never have a true connection to Rhody. After Dan’s last two teams here, we will probably rarely have 3-4 year greats returning for Rhody events 10 - 20 years from now and beyond.

Mostly just rental players going forward that make a run during their brief stay who may or may not care to return to celebrate it - depending on the amount of success they have at their other schools.

Glad I won’t be around for that.

It probably won’t bother the younger fans because it will become their normal.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Regarding Archie’s Senior Night comments in the portal era, not only do I realize that I don’t and likely won’t have the connection to players like in the past but - and it is clearer to me now - the portal jumpers will never have a true connection to Rhody. After Dan’s last two teams here, we will probably rarely have 3-4 year greats returning for Rhody events 10 - 20 years from now and beyond.

Mostly just rental players going forward that make a run during their brief stay who may or may not care to return to celebrate it - depending on the amount of success they have at their other schools.

Yup, it’s pretty much a guarantee Rhody won’t have 4 year players who make an EC/Hassan/Terrell/Dowtin/Fatts level impact anymore.

That is a very sad thing to think about.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Regarding Archie’s Senior Night comments in the portal era, not only do I realize that I don’t and likely won’t have the connection to players like in the past but - and it is clearer to me now - the portal jumpers will never have a true connection to Rhody. After Dan’s last two teams here, we will probably rarely have 3-4 year greats returning for Rhody events 10 - 20 years from now and beyond.

Yup, it’s pretty much a guarantee Rhody won’t have 4 year players who make an EC/Hassan/Terrell/Dowtin/Fatts level impact anymore.

That is a very sad thing to think about.
That will make the guys that do spend 4 years even more special.

There is no way you can guarantee anything because you don't know what is going to play out. Unlimited free agency is not sustainable and eventually will be regulated in some manner. This is a just a giant free-for-all era but it won't go on forever.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RUINED COLLEGE SPORTS
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hah. I gave my tix to my brother for the SLU game and he took his son to the game. He said the coach looked like Napoleon without the vigor. :lol:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Archie is a smart basketball guy and a competitor. He knows this has to work if he wants to stay coaching in the game, which I assume he does because that’s been his whole life. The longer the struggles at URI continue, the farther away his Dayton success seems and the more his Indiana years will be mentioned, fairly or not. They were pretty unremarkable, with just one season at .500 in the conference. My view of him is skewed because I did pay so much attention to the successful Dayton years and want him to do well now. There was talk when he was hired that the rebuild should be quick because he had an established formula to win and wasn’t a coach moving up a level. Throwing away that notion is probably best at this point. Program building is its own thing, and it’s something that is kind of new to him.

People can complain about guys transferring out, but there’s a lot of talk of guys who people want gone. Works both ways, I guess. I don’t know enough about the assistants’ day to day work, but I could see a change being made. There just seems to be too many misses with the work they put into the transfers. It might not even be their fault, but that doesn’t always matter.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Besides raising the talent level, Archie has to figure out why many of his players dont want to play for him and the staff. Not just for him, but to show some pride for the fans, the school, and themselves.

That might be as hard to do as recruiting imo.

That has to be fixed above all else.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, Archie has finally admitted that there are guys that don't want to even try and compete right now. Somebody needs to ask Archie why that is. And make it a direct question..."Why do you think that some of these guys have decided to quit playing for you?" It really needs to be asked and I'd be very curious how Archie would answer it.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Besides raising the talent level, Archie has to figure out why many of his players dont want to play for him and the staff. Not just for him, but to show some pride for the fans, the school, and themselves.

These kids probably have close to zero pride for the school and fans.

None are from RI, and none have been here longer than 2 years.

The top 6 players in minutes per game have been here for less than one calendar year. First year playing for the team.

Tough to have any emotional pride playing in front of fans and for a school you've barely been at, not in the community all that much, etc etc.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Besides raising the talent level, Archie has to figure out why many of his players dont want to play for him and the staff. Not just for him, but to show some pride for the fans, the school, and themselves.

The top 6 players in minutes per game have been here for less than one calendar year. First year playing for the team.

Tough to have any emotional pride playing in front of fans and for a school you've barely been at, not in the community all that much, etc etc.
How about pride in themselves? Isn't that he most important thing?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

How about pride in themselves? Isn't that he most important thing?
Yup, that's why I left the out and brought up the other two.

That should be a no brainer for them, but that does not seem like the case.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For a coach at any level to come out and admit that his players dont give a shit, is basically unheard of.

That's how bad things are. Any attempt to try and sugarcoat this is someone who is lying to themselves.

Honesty is great, but this is SAD.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago For a coach at any level to come out and admit that his players dont give a shit, is basically unheard of.

That's how bad things are. Any attempt to try and sugarcoat this is someone who is lying to themselves.

Yeah Bone, not a great situation.

Glad that Archie has been able to open up a little about where this team's head is at now or in our case not at.
Yeah we can see some of that on the court, but now hearing it from the HC.
Sorry that we are at this point.

Feeling that this whole process of becoming relevant again, will take much longer than I originally thought.

I am not giving up on Archie and still confident that he can turn things around.

At this point, I have no idea who will remain here next season and that also includes members of the staff.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago For a coach at any level to come out and admit that his players dont give a shit, is basically unheard of.

Yeah Bone, not great.

Glad that Archie has been able to open up a little about where this team's head is at now or in our case not at.
Yeah we can see some of that on the court, but now hearing it from the HC.
Sorry that we are at this point.

Feeling that this whole process of becoming relevant again, will take much longer than I originally thought.

I am not giving up on Archie and still confident that he can turn things around.

At this point, I have no idea who will remain here next season and that also includes members of the staff.
I think we do know that whoever does stay is in it for the right reasons. You can build off that.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we haven't hit rock bottom yet. we're still falling.
0 x
:lol:
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago we haven't hit rock bottom yet. we're still falling.

for this season, maybe

but you cannot say this for next season until we see what our team will be
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

sad for the current players - this is why most must go

i have no issues at all for archie calling out these guys

get rid of most of them and let's go with a group who wants to play with effort next year

if these players feelings are hurt than that just proved how soft they are

keep at it ARCHIE

i for one fully support your comments

great to have a coach who cares and calls it out for what it is vs making excuses
4 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

So if he really believes that, next game we should be surprised by someone or several someones not getting on the floor during game play? I’ll believe it when I see it but I don’t expect to.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The players that wont be here next season should not see the floor again.

What do we have to lose?

Another game or two?

This season has had a fork stuck in it for a while now.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago The players that wont be here next season should not see the floor again.

What do we have to lose?

Another game or two?

I think that’s already started with Foumena.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago The players that wont be here next season should not see the floor again.

What do we have to lose?

Another game or two?

One of the guys who actually plays hard and looks like he cares. Makes no sense. Not saying he's been good, just that at least he tries.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 month ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago we haven't hit rock bottom yet. we're still falling.

for this season, maybe

but you cannot say this for next season until we see what our team will be
#cutithoweveryoudlikebait

This is real time. Until the pendulum swings upward, we’re still falling.
0 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What do we have to lose?

Another game or two?

One of the guys who actually plays hard and looks like he cares. Makes no sense. Not saying he's been good, just that at least he tries.
It still surprises me that as bad as we have played, Foumena hasn't even seen the court in the last 2 games (zero minutes).
Either there is something going on behind the scenes, he is in the doghouse, or some undisclosed health issue.
I just don't get it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It still surprises me that as bad as we have played, Foumena hasn't even seen the court in the last 2 games (zero minutes).
Either there is something going on behind the scenes, he is in the doghouse, or some undisclosed health issue.
I just don't get it.
For me, whatever the behind the scenes issues are, he and Archie have reached a point of no return. His size, aggressiveness, could, I think be coached up to be a decent A-10 big man.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
I just don't get it.
For me, whatever the behind the scenes issues are, he and Archie have reached a point of no return. His size, aggressiveness, could, I think be coached up to be a decent A-10 big man.
105, if that is the case with him and Archie, it is unfortunate.
I think he definitely has the tools to be an impact player at our level.
But yeah, he still is a little raw and needs to keep developing.
I would love for him to stay but maybe he and Archie reached an impasse, hope not.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
I just don't get it.
His offensive numbers are pretty good! On paper, a frontcourt of Fuchs, Green and Foumena, with Brown as the fourth big man, works at the Atlantic 10 level. If Foumena isn't playing, you can hypothesize a couple reasons, and I have no clue which one is more valid than the other: 1) His defense is truly awful. 2) He doesn't follow the coaching staff at all / there is a major personality issue there, just short of the Brayon Freeman level. 3) He has an undisclosed injury. 4) Some mixture of 1 and 2.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Foumena played when Fuchs was out and there was no one else to back up Brown. My thoughts are that he has told Miller that he’s not coming back so Archie is not going to waste any more time with him.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The Foumena thing realllly f'n bothers me

We finally have a center with P6 size and skill and either the coach doesn't believe in him...and likes Tyson Brown's game better or some damn reason...or Fou just refuses to do what the coaches ask him to do. Like wild offensive sequences and not doing what he needs to do defensively.

But yeah, guess we'll just roll with undersized centers from now on 🙄
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago The Foumena thing realllly f'n bothers me

We finally have a center with P6 size and skill and either the coach doesn't believe in him...and likes Tyson Brown's game better or some damn reason...or Fou just refuses to do what the coaches ask him to do. Like wild offensive sequences and not doing what he needs to do defensively.

Is it that the coach doesn't believe in him? Or the player doesn't want to listen to the coach?

And I'm not saying I disagree, because I love Foumena's upside. But you can't deny that for his talent - he makes equally boneheaded plays. Sequences that were truly spectacular - that would up as net-negatives. He's young, and young guys make mistakes - but is he the kind of guy who wants to be coached and learn from his mistakes? Or is he the kind of guy who doesn't want to hear it and do his own thing? Only the coaching staff sees that.

I don't think he should be forbidden from shooting since he's a better 3 pt shooter than Kortright or Montgomery, and his looks are usually open. But it's clear that the kid doesn't want to listen to Archie. Talent or not that matters.

Brayon Freeman, Dana Tate, Jordan Hare...those guys come around and they don't help anyone, especially themselves. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't want to be coachable - you're not worth whatever upside you bring.

I thought Archie gave him too short a leash personally, but I have to assume that behind the scenes he was tough to deal with and didn't want to hear what Archie had to say. That's the only thing that makes sense. And considering Archie is a known commodity, not a first time HC, I'm going to default to "he knows what he's doing" and trust him.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

Is it that the coach doesn't believe in him? Or the player doesn't want to listen to the coach?

And I'm not saying I disagree, because I love Foumena's upside. But you can't deny that for his talent - he makes equally boneheaded plays. Sequences that were truly spectacular - that would up as net-negatives. He's young, and young guys make mistakes - but is he the kind of guy who wants to be coached and learn from his mistakes? Or is he the kind of guy who doesn't want to hear it and do his own thing? Only the coaching staff sees that.

I don't think he should be forbidden from shooting since he's a better 3 pt shooter than Kortright or Montgomery, and his looks are usually open. But it's clear that the kid doesn't want to listen to Archie. Talent or not that matters.

Brayon Freeman, Dana Tate, Jordan Hare...those guys come around and they don't help anyone, especially themselves. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't want to be coachable - you're not worth whatever upside you bring.

I thought Archie gave him too short a leash personally, but I have to assume that behind the scenes he was tough to deal with and didn't want to hear what Archie had to say. That's the only thing that makes sense. And considering Archie is a known commodity, not a first time HC, I'm going to default to "he knows what he's doing" and trust him.
Foumena: 8-25 32%
Kortright: 27-85 31.8%
Zek: 27-85 31.8%

Come on now lol

You and I, and everyone else, knows Foumena isn't a better 3 point shooter than Zek and Louis.

0.2% separates them, and Zek/Louis have taken more than 3X the attempts Foumena has.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I generally agree with this, but I'll also add - Sometimes, it's nobody fault that something doesn't work out. Some guys need an environment where they're allowed to freelance, whereas others need to have a coach on them at all times. Phil Jackson, Larry Brown and Steve Kerr have all won NBA championships with pretty different approaches. I think there's a good chance that the fit between Foumena and Miller is just "off" for whatever reason, and Foumena will be fine at his next step. Hell, Dana Tate got suspended here, then dismissed from Siena before ever playing a game, but was seemingly a model citizen in two years at Norfolk State and now has a pro career. Sometimes guys just need a change of location and time to figure it out.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah it has to be that. Hope maybe they can work it out.

It's just extra frustrating to me because we FINALLY have a talented center with high major size and upside and of course it falls apart. 😡

I'm just so sick of us always having small centers. Works in the A-10 and you can win with 6'8 centers, but I believe you need 6'10+ guys down low to at least keep you from running into a Duke situation. You just don't see a lot of good teams sporting two 6'8 centers like we do, especially at the P6 level.

The fact Archie went after Bilau and Fou in the first place gives me hope that he will replace them with guys with similar size. A healthy version of Bilau and a coachable version of Fou sure would be nice for the future...

I just don't see much upside with Tyson. I think he's bought in and has played hard but...he's undersized, average athlete and is just incredibly soft. We have to be able to find someone better that can compliment Fuchs.
1 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Time to circle the wagons ladies and gentleman. Attend home games and bring your friends. We can be the culture.
0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

We need three and D guards. College basketball is won in the backcourt. Control the game tempo. Kaheim Seawright is not walking through that door.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Come on now lol

You and I, and everyone else, knows Foumena isn't a better 3 point shooter than Zek and Louis.

0.2% separates them, and Zek/Louis have taken more than 3X the attempts Foumena has.
While we're nitpicking I guess I could've used the phrase "has a better shooting percentage than" if that would've made you feel better. But 25 shots in 358 minutes is enough of a sample size.

The larger point is that he should have the green light to shoot wide open 3's, which 95% of his attempts were. It's not a "bad shot" for a 32% shooter to take a wide open look, especially if you have players shooting who have similar percentages.

I understand both sides of the Archie/Fou split at least on the surface since I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes. I can understand Archie being pissed that Foumena doesn't want to listen, and I can understand Foumena being pissed watching Fuchs brick shots and stay in the game while he gets pulled.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Come on now lol

While we're nitpicking I guess I could've used the phrase "has a better shooting percentage than" if that would've made you feel better. But 25 shots in 358 minutes is enough of a sample size.

The larger point is that he should have the green light to shoot wide open 3's, which 95% of his attempts were. It's not a "bad shot" for a 32% shooter to take a wide open look, especially if you have players shooting who have similar percentages.

I understand both sides of the Archie/Fou split at least on the surface since I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes. I can understand Archie being pissed that Foumena doesn't want to listen, and I can understand Foumena being pissed watching Fuchs brick shots and stay in the game while he gets pulled.
If true about their disconnect it is very disappointing.
I felt that Fou was a team first guy, he seemed to care and played with effort.
Yes, he was careless at times and made mistakes, but again he is only a freshman.

If he leaves or is forced out, it feels like a wasted scholarship for 2 years.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an impact player at some point.

Let's face it a young big with his size and athletic skills aren't easy to find.
1 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

I’ve waited decades for a big like Foumena. Back to a life of 6’7 1/2” centers I go.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

It's just extra frustrating to me because we FINALLY have a talented center with high major size and upside and of course it falls apart. 😡

I'm just so sick of us always having small centers. Works in the A-10 and you can win with 6'8 centers, but I believe you need 6'10+ guys down low to at least keep you from running into a Duke situation. You just don't see a lot of good teams sporting two 6'8 centers like we do, especially at the P6 level.

The fact Archie went after Bilau and Fou in the first place gives me hope that he will replace them with guys with similar size. A healthy version of Bilau and a coachable version of Fou sure would be nice for the future...

I just don't see much upside with Tyson. I think he's bought in and has played hard but...he's undersized, average athlete and is just incredibly soft. We have to be able to find someone better that can compliment Fuchs.
Tyson seems to have regressed , high motor kid who should probably drop down a conference where he can play more
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago I’ve waited decades for a big like Foumena. Back to a life of 6’7 1/2” centers I go.
I guess? I mean, he's promising, but he's averaging 1.6 blocks and 10.9 rebounds per 40 minutes. A lot of his stats are similar to the Mitchell brothers, except he's listed at 6'11" and they're 6'10". I would much rather have undersized but highly effective guys at the 4 and 5, since size has never meant less than at the present.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I totally agree with this. I have an awesome team at work, but they'd be awesome without me, because intrinsically they just want to do a good job, not for their boss, but just because it's the right thing to do. (Thank God)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago I’ve waited decades for a big like Foumena. Back to a life of 6’7 1/2” centers I go.
I guess? I mean, he's promising, but he's averaging 1.6 blocks and 10.9 rebounds per 40 minutes. A lot of his stats are similar to the Mitchell brothers, except he's listed at 6'11" and they're 6'10". I would much rather have undersized but highly effective guys at the 4 and 5, since size has never meant less than at the present.
Lol

He's in his first year playing college basketball and he averages 16.5 points 10.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per 40 minutes

That's 3rd on the team in pts ( more than Fuchs) and he's only averaging 1.3 less rebounds per game than Fuchs.

That's not a bad statline for a 6'11 rookie in the A-10 with three more seasons of eligibility.

So is he just never going to get better in 3 years?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 month ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

Tyson seems to have regressed , high motor kid who should probably drop down a conference where he can play more
I actually think he's gotten better as the season has gone on. He was almost completely ineffective at times in the OOC. Still hasn't done much.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Same, we’ve been no match for bigger teams in the past.

That said, I think Foumena stays. He a freshman, imagine how good he can be once he develops in the next off-season with his size? I’ll be pissed if he’s forced out. You can’t give up on the kid, I sure haven’t.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Kendall Pollard, you say? Archie took Dayton to a S16 with 6'6" Pollard playing C
0 x