Who is Archie Miller?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Who is Archie Miller?

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
reef wrote: 1 month ago Was Arch like this @ Dayton also with their fan base ?
Yes, it has been posted here a ton by multiple people that Archie only really wanted to coach at Dayton and not do extracurriculars.
You know that Reef banned you so I don’t believe he can see your responses to him, although I’m not exactly sure how the banning works as far as visibility is concerned.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've met our coaching staff a handful of times. Austin is incredibly respectful and pleasant. Woodward and KJ are friendly guys. Archie seemed to HATE talking to me every time.... I took a picture with him and all my PC friends were like he looks like he hates you haha.. I was like he looked like that with everyone.. I don't give a shit if he's miserable or the happiest dude in the world. Just win.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan's team was 14-18 in year 2 correct, but they played hard from opening tip to final whistle.

That was strictly a talent issue.

This years team isnt loaded with talent either, but at times their intensity is non existent.

That's a huge issue and if it continues Houston we have a problem.

Archie's team matches his demeanor with the fan base.

Disinterested far too often.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 months ago
RF1 wrote: 2 months ago Not that I really think much of what is put out by GoLocalProv has much merit but they did another un-authored hit job on URI that highlights its status as the worst D1 program in RI over the last five seasons. I do not typically have an issue with what James Malachowski writes on the site about URI hoops. The pieces that are unattributed there however always tend to be highly critical of URI. It seems as if someone really hates URI and has a personal vendetta against it.

URI Basketball 5-Year Trend: The Muddling Mid-Major
https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/uri- ... -mid-major
A complete rag in all ways, however the first line pretty much sums it up.

we suck. it is what it is.

a variety of people are being paid quit well to fix it. collectively, they're failing.

I cannot believe GLP still exists. Like. How!?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago I've met our coaching staff a handful of times. Austin is incredibly respectful and pleasant. Woodward and KJ are friendly guys. Archie seemed to HATE talking to me every time.... I took a picture with him and all my PC friends were like he looks like he hates you haha.. I was like he looked like that with everyone.. I don't give a shit if he's miserable or the happiest dude in the world. Just win.
Safe to say your PC friends were laughing with you not at you. 😀

I agree. Win!!!
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago I've met our coaching staff a handful of times. Austin is incredibly respectful and pleasant. Woodward and KJ are friendly guys. Archie seemed to HATE talking to me every time.... I took a picture with him and all my PC friends were like he looks like he hates you haha.. I was like he looked like that with everyone.. I don't give a shit if he's miserable or the happiest dude in the world. Just win.
you can't be smug and appear to be anti anything outside of coaching, to alumni and the paying customers, when you suck. be humble. fake it if you must.

so not only do we suck, our coach is a douche to anyone outside his inner circle. nice.
3 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not sure how much longer he can get away with that, until he starts winning.
If next season is another repeat, then his act will get old and wear very thin on the fans.

But winning cures all, so let that process begin soon.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Dan's team was 14-18 in year 2 correct, but they played hard from opening tip to final whistle.

That was strictly a talent issue.

This years team isnt loaded with talent either, but at times their intensity is non existent.

That's a huge issue and if it continues Houston we have a problem.

Archie's team matches his demeanor with the fan base.

Disinterested far too often.
Hey Bone.. I did some quick math the other day, so I apologize if this is wrong. During Dan's second year in a better conference, we lost by an average of 7 pts in the A10. This year, we have lost by an average of 15. Two 30-point losses. One 20-point loss to Lasalle... And we aren't finished, so it could get worse. Or maybe it'll get better? Not likely..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 month ago
Safe to say your PC friends were laughing with you not at you. 😀

I agree. Win!!!
All my PC friends are going to UConn PC. I refused to go...I hate the dump. It used to be fun when we stood a chance. All they do is remind me how horrible we are after every loss. PC is so much better than us right now. It's not even a question of who will win when they play us. It sucks!

They also remind me how good the Celtics are, and the Lakers suck, but at least the Celtics tend to choke. A Celtics-Clippers final is my nightmare, and there is a strong chance it will happen. However, I've seen so many Lakers championships I've been spoiled, so I really shouldn't complain. I would trade all of them to see Rhody land a bid in the next 5 years..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Stevey, that point differential compared to Dan's 2nd year team, is largely due to our lack of effort giving up in games.

If that's not an indictment of these players attitudes and the coaches failure to fix it, I dont know what is!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago
you can't be smug and appear to be anti anything outside of coaching, to alumni and the paying customers, when you suck. be humble. fake it if you must.

so not only do we suck, our coach is a douche to anyone outside his inner circle. nice.
Douche may be a bit strong, but I agree 10000% with everything else.

Nobody would be complaining about this if we were winning.

Not winning coupled with being stand-ish and not doing extracurriculars is not a good combination.
2 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Not winning coupled with being stand-ish and not doing extracurriculars is not a good combination.

Even if Rhody had 3 losses this season there is no way you cannot engage with the fan base. We can see how he is with media postgame.

Dan Hurley is not a schmoozer and he still took the time to say a quick hello and thanking people for coming to any xyz event during any year of his tenure in Kingston.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Austin in his halftime interviews comes across well
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

We have been in the company of the coaches several times. I concur with Stevey about the assistants. ALL of them are very engaging and friendly.
I just do not think that Archie is as outgoing as people would want. He seems a bit introverted or uncomfortable with schmoozing. I think that just is his personality.

Maybe he will have to work harder on engagement if he doesn't turn things around next year, but I agree, I want to win, not to socialize with the coach.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 month ago

Even if Rhody had 3 losses this season there is no way you cannot engage with the fan base. We can see how he is with media postgame.

Dan Hurley is not a schmoozer and he still took the time to say a quick hello and thanking people for coming to any xyz event during any year of his tenure in Kingston.
Definitely agree he can’t completely ignore fans at events, but we wouldn’t be complaining (as we should be) as much if we were winning.

Losing just compounds everything.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

doesn't feel right to like this, and I'm not saying I don't agree, but it did make me laugh out loud, so there's that
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Spent some time looking over the thread when Archie was announced. This was from a Dayton Fan on KB.

"Good, crisp offense with no stupid shots...pack line defense...players play hard...the offense looks logical, organized, and purposeful and not just some streetball slop that somebody threw out there without putting much thought into it...he seems to look for/recruit guys that very much like to win/have an edge to them as part of their DNA/place a high value on winning which I suppose can potentially cause some behavioral/off-the-court problems...he is very tight-lipped/nondescript about giving injury updates/he is the Bill Belichick of college basketball in terms of giving injury updates."
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Spent some time looking over the thread when Archie was announced. This was from a Dayton Fan on KB.

"Good, crisp offense with no stupid shots...pack line defense...players play hard...the offense looks logical, organized, and purposeful and not just some streetball slop that somebody threw out there without putting much thought into it...he seems to look for/recruit guys that very much like to win/have an edge to them as part of their DNA/place a high value on winning which I suppose can potentially cause some behavioral/off-the-court problems...he is very tight-lipped/nondescript about giving injury updates/he is the Bill Belichick of college basketball in terms of giving injury updates."
So what happened? None of that is true here.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago Spent some time looking over the thread when Archie was announced. This was from a Dayton Fan on KB.

We have seen that at times.

It was like that for about two weeks until they collapsed against St Bona and Dayton.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I see it with the offense @ times but the defense is just awful , maybe he can get us a talent upgrade
0 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

Checked out Archie’s presser today. I thought he hit a lot on a lot of solid points in terms of where we’re at and college basketball. Obviously I can’t defend our record but I thought it gave good look of where he’s mentally at. I’m still hopeful..for next year.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rams99 wrote: 1 month ago Checked out Archie’s presser today. I thought he hit a lot on a lot of solid points in terms of where we’re at and college basketball. Obviously I can’t defend our record but I thought it gave good look of where he’s mentally at. I’m still hopeful..for next year.
See if we can finish strong, keep a core group of guys and build on that in the offseason into next year.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

"Our fans deserve better. ... They should.

"We have to continue to show progress."

"That's part of the territory, criticism."

"I know what we have to do."

"I'm glad there's frustration. That means there's people out there that really care."
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago

I disagree that none of that is true, Bone. I think our offense creates plenty of open looks, and Archie has some of the best-designed plays I've seen from any coach at Rhody. I agree that his recruiting has been bad, and the players check out way too much under him. Hopefully, Hammond and Farrell will be more of the players Archie likes to recruit. They both seem to be smarter players who can defend. But he'll need to land a lot more than two freshmen to make a jump. This is a very important offseason, and I'm anxious to see what he does
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rams99 wrote: 1 month ago Checked out Archie’s presser today. I thought he hit a lot on a lot of solid points in terms of where we’re at and college basketball. Obviously I can’t defend our record but I thought it gave good look of where he’s mentally at. I’m still hopeful..for next year.
Yeah I watched it also , I’m rooting for Arch to succeed here , time well tell
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, I found it pretty interesting to and came away feeling more hopeful as well. He clearly knows the issues. Now he just has to execute on them and fix it.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I watched the presser, too. I am with the posters above.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago "Our fans deserve better. ... They should.

"I'm glad there's frustration. That means there's people out there that really care."
Little piece at the end of it I caught - he called out a few of the younger guys' names - Fuchs, Dubsky, Esteves I think - and effectively made a comment about how people expect them to be great right away, where as in the past people would say "oh they look like they have potential to be developed" or something along those lines...perhaps a dig at the "instant gratification" culture we seem to live in today?

Once again I think Archie is very good at pressers in saying the right things. Hopefully he can put his money where his mouth is next year. I'm still in on him.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Archie isn't Cox. Archie is well aware of what's wrong with this team, and with the right players, we could be one of the best teams in the A10 because he is a great coach in games. He used to outcoach Dan regularly. I would be so impressed by how efficient his teams were—high IQ, hardworking, and locked in on both ends. The question to me is, can he bring in enough talent? That's the part that scares me the most. I don't know if he can land the type of players he landed at Dayton. It's not even like he had a bunch of 4-star recruits at Dayton; he recruited guys that fit his system and developed them. This offseason will tell us a lot. We all understood why the first class was terrible, and this year's class is better. Maybe Hammond is our Schooie Smith? Archie needs a high-IQ point guard, which he is getting. Maybe Hammond is the missing piece. Let's hope so..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

from 6:08 to 6:38..."we need to get a friggn GM in here"
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Loyola playing well vs #21 Dayton. Proof that a coach doesn't need 4-5 years to be a serious team in the A10.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I watched the presser, too. I am with the posters above.
These 15 minute pressers between games are outstanding
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago Loyola playing well vs #21 Dayton. Proof that a coach doesn't need 4-5 years to be a serious team in the A10.
I’m not sure of their roster turnover, but noticed they have a good amount of upper classman. The roster turnover is the difference between URI and Loyola, in my opinion.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 1 month ago Loyola playing well vs #21 Dayton. Proof that a coach doesn't need 4-5 years to be a serious team in the A10.
I’m not sure of their roster turnover, but noticed they have a good amount of upper classman. The roster turnover is the difference between URI and Loyola, in my opinion.
Well yeah, you will never have success if you have to rebuild your roster every year.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

Little piece at the end of it I caught - he called out a few of the younger guys' names - Fuchs, Dubsky, Esteves I think - and effectively made a comment about how people expect them to be great right away, where as in the past people would say "oh they look like they have potential to be developed" or something along those lines...perhaps a dig at the "instant gratification" culture we seem to live in today?

Once again I think Archie is very good at pressers in saying the right things. Hopefully he can put his money where his mouth is next year. I'm still in on him.
You need instant gratification in the new NCAA. Unless you have big NIL money, every year is now a silo and you can’t expect to develop a team over several seasons. And if you don’t have players that Power Conference teams want to poach, you haven’t recruited well enough.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

At this point, my impression of Archie is he can analyze the heck out of the game. Unfortunately, and I know it's still somewhat early, I am not sure his handling of the current college game dynamics is on par. I think he needs to use this off season to analyze his coaching strategy and make the necessary adjustments to succeed. The current strategy does not appear to be working. I want to attend games like that Loyola Dayton game last night. That was entertaining.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago I watched the presser, too. I am with the posters above.
These 15 minute pressers between games are outstanding

Yes, I give him props for doing these, packs a good amount of insight into a short amount of time.
Sounds like he has a plan (I still say he was talking about need for a GM), hopefully it'll work.
With this much change, we're definitely in a "past performance is not a guarantee of future results, but it might be, except for when it isn't" kind of era. No one knows if that strategy (building bricks) will work these days. No one knows that it won't either. Only the second year of the new era, with the second year kinda turbocharged midseason. Hopefully, whatever strategy Arch chooses - whether it's pouring cement or buying and assembling pre-fab housing - it is more effective in Year 3

'round 9:00....lotta nail clacking on the table. The mic picked that up pretty good. Kinda like my dog this morning...she's walking on a section of marble floor, and it was clack clack clack...just like Arch. So, I clipped her nails. Boom - clack-sound gone. jus' sayin'...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 1 month ago At this point, my impression of Archie is he can analyze the heck out of the game. Unfortunately, and I know it's still somewhat early, I am not sure his handling of the current college game dynamics is on par. I think he needs to use this off season to analyze his coaching strategy and make the necessary adjustments to succeed. The current strategy does not appear to be working. I want to attend games like that Loyola Dayton game last night. That was entertaining.
Last night's game was fun to watch.

Still too early for me to make a judgement call on Archie.
He does have a great basketball mind, but we need to see that play out on the court for Rhody.

Right now, I don't care what he did at Dayton or about his struggles at Indiana, I just want to see him win here.

They have many things that need to be fixed going into next season, no excuses just get it done.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 1 month ago At this point, my impression of Archie is he can analyze the heck out of the game. Unfortunately, and I know it's still somewhat early, I am not sure his handling of the current college game dynamics is on par. I think he needs to use this off season to analyze his coaching strategy and make the necessary adjustments to succeed. The current strategy does not appear to be working. I want to attend games like that Loyola Dayton game last night. That was entertaining.
Yup this is exactly what worries me. Great post
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

Can we start with a win against Brown?
And not scheduling Roger Williams and Salve?

Clearly, losing by less than 10 to pc is out of the question.
As is going .500, but a few less 50-point clubbings would be nice.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Archie should shake up the staff this offseason.

And he should hire Tyson Wheeler as a development focused assistant. Specifically to work with Ben (and all the guards).

Look at Tyson's last 2 PGs he mentored - Lilly at Brown is fantastic and before that Noah Fernandes at Umass.

He's a local legend, it would be a great PR move and it just makes a whole lot of basketball sense too.

Whether he brings in Tyson or not (he should) I would expect some staff changes this off-season.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah no chance he brings in Wheeler.

Wheeler is the top candidate to replace Miller.

Ridiculous take.

(Tho 100% agree on Lilly)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Oh is this Drew Valentine’s second year as a coach with his team? Or is it his 3rd? Did he take on a complete and total rebuild or did he take on a built program coming off of NCAA appearances?

Loyola is a great example. Because they were so bad last year they lost to an even worse URI team at home.

They kept their squad together and added a few pieces.

Stay the course.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
Oh is this Drew Valentine’s second year as a coach with his team? Or is it his 3rd? Did he take on a complete and total rebuild or did he take on a built program coming off of NCAA appearances?

Loyola is a great example. Because they were so bad last year they lost to an even worse URI team at home.

Stay the course.
Loyola is a good example that we need to keep some core players,
But Blue Man even you had doubted Valentine's ability as a HC, I defended him.
At only 32 and just his 3rd season, I think he will be a hot commodity down the road, if not sooner.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Yeah no chance he brings in Wheeler.

Wheeler is the top candidate to replace Miller.

Ridiculous take.

(Tho 100% agree on Lilly)
After making Ivy Madness I don't think Martin (not Miller) is shown the door.

Tyson has wanted to be back at Rhody for years.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

Stay the course.
Loyola is a good example that we need to keep some core players,
But Blue Man even you had doubted Valentine's ability as a HC, I defended him.
At only 32 and just his 3rd season, I think he will be a hot commodity down the road, if not sooner.
Well yeah, that would be the point. If you can keep 2-3 starters to build around and replace the rest? Totally fine and part of the plan.

The thing with Valentine is the same thing with Cox. There's no experience or baseline to go off of, so you don't know until they do it. It's year 3, so this is clearly his team - hat tip to that. But, they've beaten one good team all year. They are still nowhere near an at-large bid. They could win out, lose in the A10 finals, and still not make the tournament.

Who knows maybe Loyola will keep this going. But Loyola being a good conference team by beating a largely weak conference, yet not doing enough to earn an at-large bid, did nothing for the A10. Them beating Dayton hurt Dayton's seeding significantly more than it helped Loyola's.

Again. If the move was to cut La Salle, Fordham, Duquesne, and GW while adding Loyola? Home run. Great job.

14-15 teams with a large collection of high school gyms and 1-2 teams capable of beating anyone significant in the OOC isn't a good conference. Nothing will change my mind of that.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

In my strong opinion Tyson Wheeler is going to be a absolutely brilliant D1 HC.

I’m not alone in having this opinion.

I’ll leave it there.

Back to Who is Archie talk…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago In my strong opinion Tyson Wheeler is going to be a absolutely brilliant D1 HC.

I’m not alone in having this opinion.

I’ll leave it there.

Back to Who is Archie talk…
Bring Tyson back here. Whenever Archies leaves (3 years?) , Tyson takes over.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the only thing on my mind is how Archie will be successful here - not in some replacement..
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago Archie should shake up the staff this offseason.

And he should hire Tyson Wheeler as a development focused assistant. Specifically to work with Ben (and all the guards).

Look at Tyson's last 2 PGs he mentored - Lilly at Brown is fantastic and before that Noah Fernandes at Umass.

He's a local legend, it would be a great PR move and it just makes a whole lot of basketball sense too.

Whether he brings in Tyson or not (he should) I would expect some staff changes this off-season.
Great call BAR ! Bring back Tyson Wheeler!
0 x