2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Richmond
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, February 21, 2024
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN+
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
Richmond’s Fan Forum

OK, I am going to preface this preview by saying that Richmond is “not a great team” & they are “not worldbeaters”. I wanted to get that out of the way immediately because I don’t want anything I write to be misconstrued like some of my previous previews have been. What we do have here is a very good (again, not great) Richmond Spiders team coming to the Ryan Center Wednesday night to take on the University of Rhode Island Rams. Although picked to finish in the bottom 3rd of the conference at the beginning of the year, the Spiders are currently just a half game out of first place in the A10 behind Dayton & Loyola Chicago. They have started conference play with 8 straight wins, including a home win against Dayton, but have won just 2 of the last 4 with losses at VCU & home to UMass.

Chris Mooney is in his 19th season coaching the Richmond Spiders. He was on the proverbial hotseat for multiple seasons until the Spiders made it back to the NCAA tournament in 2022 & got an upset win against the #5 seed Iowa Hawkeyes. He is hoping for another run to end the season & do some damage in the conference playoffs to hopefully secure another 12 seed in the tournament this year. Mooney was able to pick up East Tennessee State transfer Jordan King, who is leading the team with almost 19 points per game. He plays almost the entire game & is the Spiders best three-point threat. He has scored in double-digits in every game but one this season. Second on the team in both scoring (12.3) & rebounding (5.6) is their 7-foot center, Neil Quinn. The offense does kind of flow through him at both the top of the key & downlow for kickouts to open shooters as he is leading the team in assists at almost 4 per game. Quinn was a 3rd team all-conference preseason pick. Leading the team in rebounding at almost 7 per game is senior Isaiah Bigelow. He is currently 3rd on the team in scoring at 11.4 per game & second in made threes. He has had multiple made threes in each of his last 4 games. Finally is senior guard Dji Bailey, who is 4th on the team in scoring at just over 10 per game & third in rebounding with 4.3 per game. As you may have noticed, this team is an upperclassmen heavy team. All 5 of their starters (which are also their top 5 scorers) are all seniors. So look for a completely different Spider team next season.

As for the Rams, well…ummm…yup. Not really sure what else to say about them. They are losers of 7 of 9 and they need to do a better job rebounding. Loyola Chicago’s Philip Alston was able to get his first double double this season thanks to URI allowing him to get 6 offensive rebounds. Alston had more offensive rebounds than Rhody had as a team in that game. Some relatively good news is that they have only given up 80+ points in 2 of their last 5 games. Some other relatively good news is that the Rams just turned the ball over 8 times & Zek set a career high in blocks with 3 in the last game.

So how will this game playout Wednesday night? Here is some bad news, we all know that URI does not do a good job forcing turnovers. Well, Richmond doesn’t really turn the ball over, turning it over at just 8.3 per game compared to our 12.5. Not good. Oh yeah, Richmond shoots it 10% better from the line than Rhody does. If the Rams keep it close, they will have to make the free throws. I also foresee a handful of wide-open threes from Isaiah Bigelow that will make you think, WTF just happened to them on defense? This game has some potential for not being a close one. Since I had no takers the last few times I have done this, I will do it again. Anyone that comes to me at the corner of the bar at Shaidzon between 4-6:40 Wednesday before the game gets a free Buffalo Czech on me. Just come by & say “URI Race to 10”. Richmond has beaten Rhode Island 5 straight times, including the last 2 at home. That streak will painfully continue Wednesday night. The Rams will probably be a 5.5-point underdog in this match-up. My prediction, Richmond 79 – URI 71. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
18-7, 10-2 in the A10
15-18, 7-11 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 73 (193)
RPI: 48 (147)
KenPom: 82 (182)
BPI: 73 (193)
Barttovik: 71 (169)

Leaders:
Points – Jordan King 18.7 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Isaiah Bigalow 6.8 (sr., F)
Assists – Neal Quinn 3.8 (Sr., C) (1.6 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 11-19
H: 8-5, A: 3-11, N: 0-3
Most Recent Matchup: 1/17/23 64-57 L at Richmond
Most Recent Win Streak: 5 – Richmond
Match-up Predictor: 25.8% Chance of URI Winning
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RF1 »

I am fully expecting a third straight loss.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm expecting my 20pt stop to occur in the first half.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Spooky, good job and hard to disagree with you.

DeLonnie Hunt was also a nice addition to the Spiders, All-NEC guard transfer.
He is extremely fast but had some injury issues this season.
7-foot center Quinn also leads the team in assists with almost 4 per game (as mentioned above).

Richmond is #1 (A10) in Assist/Turnover Ratio (13.1/8.3)
Richmond is #2 (A10) in Total Defense (65.5 pts)

I don't expect a win here but just hoping for one.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like Green is back to practicing. Not surprising since he played, but still good to see him out there. Hopefully back to full strength.

1 x
JushinThunderLiger
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JushinThunderLiger »

Expecting the worst. Hoping for a monster Jaden House/David Green game and someone to step up to pull the upset
0 x
JushinThunderLiger
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JushinThunderLiger »

Also I’m fully expecting an offensive breakthrough for Fuchs one of these games. He has all the tools and I won’t be surprised when he drops 25 points one of these days on 8/10 shooting or something
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

JushinThunderLiger wrote: 2 months ago Also I’m fully expecting an offensive breakthrough for Fuchs one of these games. He has all the tools and I won’t be surprised when he drops 25 points one of these days on 8/10 shooting or something
As long as he stops throwing up left handed hooks and 3 pointers.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I haven’t seen Richmond yet but going by their results they sound good and it will take a great performance by us to win
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Buffalo Czech is da bees knees 🐝

Shaidzon Beer Garden is 👍😎
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Oh boy.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodyram22 wrote: 2 months ago

Oh boy.
Yeah, Quinnipiac is 1st in the MAA.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 2 months ago

Oh boy.
Tweet must’ve been deleted, what it say?
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It just said "The grass ain't always greener...". Which could mean just about a million different things and may have had nothing to do with basketball at all.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago It just said "The grass ain't always greener...". Which could mean just about a million different things and may have had nothing to do with basketball at all.
With him deleting it, my guess would be it was about QU and us.

I hate debating about college kids’ tweets, but that phrase plus deleting it leads me to believe it was about basketball.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who tweeted what?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago It just said "The grass ain't always greener...". Which could mean just about a million different things and may have had nothing to do with basketball at all.

I hate debating about college kids’ tweets, but that phrase plus deleting it leads me to believe it was about basketball.
Nope, not basketball related.

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Nope, not basketball related.

Thanks for this Adam. We need these guys to stick together and get better next year.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Another excellent pre-game summary, Spooky. Much appreciated.

I am not expecting a win despite being home as Richmond has a lot more to play for.

Looking at their season stats (I haven’t watched them much) Richmond is only giving up 65 pts/gm while holding their opponents to 39% shooting and 30% from 3.

Could be a difficult matchup for our O so, I think our D will need to keep them under their 73 pt season scoring avg to have a shot at winning.

Richmond isn’t a good rebounding team. They are -4 on avg compared to their opponents so far this season. Perhaps we can rebound well to limit their opportunities on O and get ourselves more opportunities on O to keep it close.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Hopefully we can play the role of spoiler tonight.
Currently we are alone in 10th place and in the PIG.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
JushinThunderLiger wrote: 2 months ago Also I’m fully expecting an offensive breakthrough for Fuchs one of these games. He has all the tools and I won’t be surprised when he drops 25 points one of these days on 8/10 shooting or something
Nah he's got the green light to do whatever he wants. Shoot the 3, don't run up the floor, don't hustle - stay in the game.

Those instructions only matter for Foumena (who's actually a better 3 point shooter than Kortright or Montgomery).
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not the best way to sell tickets. Picture of David Green with RI at Spiders (pic) next to it. It's been like that since yesterday and hasn't been corrected. Amateurish... https://gorhody.com/news/2024/2/20/mens ... attle.aspx
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago Not the best way to sell tickets. Picture of David Green with RI at Spiders (pic) next to it. It's been like that since yesterday and hasn't been corrected. Amateurish... https://gorhody.com/news/2024/2/20/mens ... attle.aspx
It’s incredible how we continue to fuck up the simplest of things.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Hopefully we can play the role of spoiler tonight.
Hopefully really? What about "wanting all the top teams to win"? You know...'for the conference'. Not a lot of that talk here this year :lol:
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago Not the best way to sell tickets. Picture of David Green with RI at Spiders (pic) next to it. It's been like that since yesterday and hasn't been corrected. Amateurish... https://gorhody.com/news/2024/2/20/mens ... attle.aspx
No wonder why my coworker gave me their tickets- games in Richmond
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 2 months ago
No wonder why my coworker gave me their tickets- games in Richmond
You better leave soon. :lol:
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Hopefully we can play the role of spoiler tonight.
Hopefully really? What about "wanting all the top teams to win"? You know...'for the conference'. Not a lot of that talk here this year :lol:
Not when it comes against us. ;)

I want to see us get out of the PIG round and have a little momentum going into the A10T.

Besides if we end the season on an up note, it will help with confidence going forward.
Maybe also entice the core group to stick around.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago
Nah he's got the green light to do whatever he wants. Shoot the 3, don't run up the floor, don't hustle - stay in the game.

Those instructions only matter for Foumena (who's actually a better 3 point shooter than Kortright or Montgomery).
He took two 3s because Loyola doubled the post, leaving him and any other big wide open at the 3-point line. They clearly wanted our bigs to take a shot. Fuchs passed up an open look a bunch of times from 3. My guess is Archie and the staff told him to take the shot if he's wide open for 5 seconds at the top of the key like he was. Some of you act like the kid took 15 shots and wasn't playing any defense. He was 6-8 from 2 and 0-2 from 3, making him 6-10 from the field. Is 60% bad? If the kid played no defense, walked back on defense, and didn't hustle, why did he lead the team in steals? How did he drop 13 points? Just by luck? The idea that he stands there and lays it in is ridiculous. He had some great, powerful finishes. He also had a great offensive rebound and finish. If he makes ANY mistake, that's all some people talk about. It's as if Fuchs needs to be perfect. A freshman!!!

No comments about our 4th-year point guard Luis going 2-5, 0-2 from the FT, 0-1 from 3, with 4 points and 3 turnovers? That's our starting point guard, who's supposed to be one of our leaders. But ya, Bassy sucks, right? The kid dropping 30 in multiple games.

Why is no one bashing our other freshman Cam? I love the kid, but has he been playing well lately? He's getting abused on defense. He's missing shots he was hitting earlier in the year. I still think he'll be a great player, but if anything, people are making excuses about him hitting the freshman wall, which is very possible. But Fuchs gets bashed after dropping 13, 4 rebounds, 3 steals. I don't get it.

Zek and Green both had bad games. Yes, Green was hurt. Still, why do they get a pass? Zek is a junior. He's been horrendous in so many games. I still feel like Fuchs gets bashed on here more than he does.

I have a funny feeling that in a few years, when Fuchs is on another team, dropping 15 and 10, and playing at an all-conference level, I'll be reminding all the Fuchs haters on here just like I'm reminding them about Bassy this year. No, i'm not saying Bassy was a good player for us. I'm saying players get better. Bassy made a jump like Ish... Fuchs will get better. And he's actually having a very solid freshman year compared to a lot of other freshman players we've had over the years.

Now, I like Foumena. When we signed him last year, I repeated that I think he has a high upside and that he's my favorite big man. But I think it's safe to say he likely has one foot out the door. Archie hasn't handled his minutes well at all. I understand not playing him when he's making dumb freshman mistakes, but he takes the kid out even when he's playing well. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see why he stays. So I'm all in on Fuchs developing and being the future of our frontcourt.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yikes!

78, maybe it was supposed to be RI splat spiders and they forgot to put the s,p and L ?

:lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago

He took two 3s because Loyola doubled the post, leaving him and any other big wide open at the 3-point line. They clearly wanted our bigs to take a shot. Fuchs passed up an open look a bunch of times from 3. My guess is Archie and the staff told him to take the shot if he's wide open for 5 seconds at the top of the key like he was. Some of you act like the kid took 15 shots and wasn't playing any defense. He was 6-8 from 2 and 0-2 from 3, making him 6-10 from the field. Is 60% bad? If the kid played no defense, walked back on defense, and didn't hustle, why did he lead the team in steals? How did he drop 13 points? Just by luck? The idea that he stands there and lays it in is ridiculous. He had some great, powerful finishes. He also had a great offensive rebound and finish. If he makes ANY mistake, that's all some people talk about. It's as if Fuchs needs to be perfect. A freshman!!!

No comments about our 4th-year point guard Luis going 2-5, 0-2 from the FT, 0-1 from 3, with 4 points and 3 turnovers? That's our starting point guard, who's supposed to be one of our leaders. But ya, Bassy sucks, right? The kid dropping 30 in multiple games.

Why is no one bashing our other freshman Cam? I love the kid, but has he been playing well lately? He's getting abused on defense. He's missing shots he was hitting earlier in the year. I still think he'll be a great player, but if anything, people are making excuses about him hitting the freshman wall, which is very possible. But Fuchs gets bashed after dropping 13, 4 rebounds, 3 steals. I don't get it.

Zek and Green both had bad games. Yes, Green was hurt. Still, why do they get a pass? Zek is a junior. He's been horrendous in so many games. I still feel like Fuchs gets bashed on here more than he does.

I have a funny feeling that in a few years, when Fuchs is on another team, dropping 15 and 10, and playing at an all-conference level, I'll be reminding all the Fuchs haters on here just like I'm reminding them about Bassy this year. No, i'm not saying Bassy was a good player for us. I'm saying players get better. Bassy made a jump like Ish... Fuchs will get better. And he's actually having a very solid freshman year compared to a lot of other freshman players we've had over the years.

Now, I like Foumena. When we signed him last year, I repeated that I think he has a high upside and that he's my favorite big man. But I think it's safe to say he likely has one foot out the door. Archie hasn't handled his minutes well at all. I understand not playing him when he's making dumb freshman mistakes, but he takes the kid out even when he's playing well. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see why he stays. So I'm all in on Fuchs developing and being the future of our frontcourt.
And I think I've seen Foumena take a contested 3 once, maybe twice, out of the 22 he's taken this season. The 3's he takes he's usually wide open for as well. Fuchs is shooting 21%. Foumena 32%. I'm just saying I'd like a little bit more consistency out of Arch when it comes to why he's playing certain guys. Foumena's top end is way better than Fuchs, and I wouldn't hate a little deference when it clearly seems like Arch immediately benches Fou for a 3 attempt - which clearly isn't so terrible, when Fuchs is allowed.

I'm an Arch guy, but I think he personally has an issue with Foumena and that's bleeding into what's best for the team. I'm a Hurley guy too, and that dude played Jarelle Reischel a lot. It happens.

Fuchs got steals because he was hedging at the top of the key way too high and was trying to pick passes while Adelekun burned him to the paint and got an easy bucket.

For all the commentary on him being a double-double "machine" he hasn't snagged more than 4 rebounds in a game in almost a month. And considering the offensive rebounds he tends to be in position for are his own missed layups, those numbers get less impressive. And while it sounds like I'm just singling him out - I understand he's a freshman. So is Foumena. I just would like a better explanation as to why one gets more of a chance to learn from his mistakes than the other.

Maybe Foumena's a dick in practice. Who knows? But when does Rhody ever get a kid as big and skilled as Foumena? I get Archie needs to coach and mold - but I'd just like something to make sense of why Sunday was allowed to happen the way it did.

And no, I'm not saying I want Fuchs to transfer or leave, yes I understand he'll get better. But his motor is concerning to me. Effort/giving up on things isn't taught/un-taught. Foumena makes dumb mistakes but also makes insanely good plays and seems to do both at 100%. Maybe Fuchs gets tired - to which I would say play him less minutes?

As for the Bassy argument...I really don't get why we're still doing this. Bassy is playing at a laughably low level. I'm not sure he improved as much as there is nowhere near the speed, size, or talent guarding him. The SOS he played at URI was 1.2 and .49 (0.0 is average, 3.17 is URI's this year, UConn's last year was 8.31). The SOS he's playing at Albany is a -5.82. That's astounding. And that doesn't count any non-D1 games. Since we brought up Luis' play, Quinnipiac was a -5.2 last year, so yes, if we're comparing those 2 players, keep in mind that Luis' game has translated to this level significantly better than Bassy's did.

Sticking to Bassy, his offensive +/- went up, and somehow his defensive +/- got worse between last season and this. That just tells me he's only playing offense and is lucky that there's no one good guarding him.

Bassy is shooting 41% this year from the field. FORTY ONE PERCENT. That would be 15th on our roster. FIFTEENTH. He's a better shooter right now than Always Wright. But Ways is averaging 1 shot a game. Bassy is averaging 15.

Bassy was 1/12 last game. Sorry, but a guy averaging 29% from 3 shouldn't be hoisting 5 of them per game. Jeremy Foumena is a better 3 point shooter than Sebastian Thomas. In fact, of the 11 URI Rams who have attempted a 3 pointer this year, Bassy would rank 9th. Ahead of Ways and Fuchs. And he's doing that in a conference 50% worse than the A10.

Averaging 18 points a game with 15 shots and 6 free throws attempted in a game is actually terrible. Like one of the worst stat lines I've ever seen. If that's your "best" player, then no wonder your team has a losing record.

There is no scenario where Bassy is some Godsend for us this year. No scenario where Archie lets him take 15 shots a game to "find his rhythm." No scenario where Bassy is averaging double digits in points, shots, or playing time. Whether or not Ways is here has no bearing on the amount of time Bassy would've seen the floor. We would be incensed if he was getting playing time over Cam or anyone else.

Speaking of Cam, I don't think anyone's riding Cam because his playing time has been reflective of his effectiveness. People understand he's a freshman - but Archie is also playing him a commensurate amount relative to his contributions. Some might even say too little because he's at least got the capability to get it going. He's also putting in effort.

I don't think anyone is riding Luis for the same reasons, and the understanding that someone has to handle the ball. And also the fact that he's not a true PG and is playing out of position.

TL;DR -

Fuchs plays too much relative to his effort and Foumena's lack of PT.

Bassy sucks and the closer you look at his stats you see how BS his performance really is - lol 41% shooter with 15 shots and 6 FTs a game in a dogshit conference.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I've been fairly critical of Cam the last week or so saying he looks like he hit the freshman wall
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 months ago

I've been fairly critical of Cam the last week or so saying he looks like he hit the freshman wall
I said that, too. That's my point. We are saying he's hitting the freshman wall, but Fuchs gets bashed by the same people here, no matter what he does. Good or bad. Maybe Fuchs isn't rebounding as well because he's hitting a wall? He's not a double-double machine yet. He definitely could be. All I'm saying is the way some nitpick Fuchs is incredibly annoying. It seems like no matter what he does somehow it's a negative to some.

And as bad as some of you think Bassy's stats are, the player that a handful of you said was a better fit is even worse. So if Bassy is this horrendous player. What is Ways? I don't think Bassy a great player but I would love a point guard that gets to the line like he does and hits his free throws at 75%. That would be second on the team. I don't think he's a game-changer, but he's much better than Ways and would be better than Luis in some games. I don't see how a top-10 impactful transfer in the entire country is terrible.

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Talkin talkin Bassy talk…

Bassy doesn’t suck that’s an overstatement, but he’s not a player Miller wanted coming off the bench. Would we have been a better team with a better record with him vs Kortright or Wright?

I don’t think so.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago Talkin talkin Bassy talk…

Bassy doesn’t suck that’s an overstatement, but he’s not a player Miller wanted coming off the bench. Would we have been a better team with a better record with him vs Kortright or Wright?

I don’t think so.
I have no idea if Thomas transferring was more about him wanting starter's minutes, or if Miller didn't want him at all. I can't blame him for wanting to transfer, since he seemed pretty overmatched at the A-10 level. I kind of doubt he'd be playing like this if he stayed at URI, between it being a more difficult conference, and no way he'd have the green light to be averaging 17 FGA per 40. There are plenty of comparable players to what he's doing in the recent past, like Matthew Butler and Jarelle Reischel putting up numbers in much lower conferences after transferring.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I had to guess Arch and Bassy had a talk and came to a conclusion that it be best that he finds a place that would give him the keys which he found @ a lower level
2 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I think this one stays close up until we lose in the last 10 mins. 69-57. Richmond
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Fuchs is just better, and has more upside than Foumena. There I said it. That's what I think and apparently Arch does, too...maybe we're both wrong
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fixed
IMG_2322.jpeg
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

And I think I've seen Foumena take a contested 3 once, maybe twice, out of the 22 he's taken this season. The 3's he takes he's usually wide open for as well. Fuchs is shooting 21%. Foumena 32%. I'm just saying I'd like a little bit more consistency out of Arch when it comes to why he's playing certain guys. Foumena's top end is way better than Fuchs, and I wouldn't hate a little deference when it clearly seems like Arch immediately benches Fou for a 3 attempt - which clearly isn't so terrible, when Fuchs is allowed.

I'm an Arch guy, but I think he personally has an issue with Foumena and that's bleeding into what's best for the team. I'm a Hurley guy too, and that dude played Jarelle Reischel a lot. It happens.

Fuchs got steals because he was hedging at the top of the key way too high and was trying to pick passes while Adelekun burned him to the paint and got an easy bucket.

For all the commentary on him being a double-double "machine" he hasn't snagged more than 4 rebounds in a game in almost a month. And considering the offensive rebounds he tends to be in position for are his own missed layups, those numbers get less impressive. And while it sounds like I'm just singling him out - I understand he's a freshman. So is Foumena. I just would like a better explanation as to why one gets more of a chance to learn from his mistakes than the other.

Maybe Foumena's a dick in practice. Who knows? But when does Rhody ever get a kid as big and skilled as Foumena? I get Archie needs to coach and mold - but I'd just like something to make sense of why Sunday was allowed to happen the way it did.

And no, I'm not saying I want Fuchs to transfer or leave, yes I understand he'll get better. But his motor is concerning to me. Effort/giving up on things isn't taught/un-taught. Foumena makes dumb mistakes but also makes insanely good plays and seems to do both at 100%. Maybe Fuchs gets tired - to which I would say play him less minutes?

As for the Bassy argument...I really don't get why we're still doing this. Bassy is playing at a laughably low level. I'm not sure he improved as much as there is nowhere near the speed, size, or talent guarding him. The SOS he played at URI was 1.2 and .49 (0.0 is average, 3.17 is URI's this year, UConn's last year was 8.31). The SOS he's playing at Albany is a -5.82. That's astounding. And that doesn't count any non-D1 games. Since we brought up Luis' play, Quinnipiac was a -5.2 last year, so yes, if we're comparing those 2 players, keep in mind that Luis' game has translated to this level significantly better than Bassy's did.

Sticking to Bassy, his offensive +/- went up, and somehow his defensive +/- got worse between last season and this. That just tells me he's only playing offense and is lucky that there's no one good guarding him.

Bassy is shooting 41% this year from the field. FORTY ONE PERCENT. That would be 15th on our roster. FIFTEENTH. He's a better shooter right now than Always Wright. But Ways is averaging 1 shot a game. Bassy is averaging 15.

Bassy was 1/12 last game. Sorry, but a guy averaging 29% from 3 shouldn't be hoisting 5 of them per game. Jeremy Foumena is a better 3 point shooter than Sebastian Thomas. In fact, of the 11 URI Rams who have attempted a 3 pointer this year, Bassy would rank 9th. Ahead of Ways and Fuchs. And he's doing that in a conference 50% worse than the A10.

Averaging 18 points a game with 15 shots and 6 free throws attempted in a game is actually terrible. Like one of the worst stat lines I've ever seen. If that's your "best" player, then no wonder your team has a losing record.

There is no scenario where Bassy is some Godsend for us this year. No scenario where Archie lets him take 15 shots a game to "find his rhythm." No scenario where Bassy is averaging double digits in points, shots, or playing time. Whether or not Ways is here has no bearing on the amount of time Bassy would've seen the floor. We would be incensed if he was getting playing time over Cam or anyone else.

Speaking of Cam, I don't think anyone's riding Cam because his playing time has been reflective of his effectiveness. People understand he's a freshman - but Archie is also playing him a commensurate amount relative to his contributions. Some might even say too little because he's at least got the capability to get it going. He's also putting in effort.

I don't think anyone is riding Luis for the same reasons, and the understanding that someone has to handle the ball. And also the fact that he's not a true PG and is playing out of position.

TL;DR -

Fuchs plays too much relative to his effort and Foumena's lack of PT.

Bassy sucks and the closer you look at his stats you see how BS his performance really is - lol 41% shooter with 15 shots and 6 FTs a game in a dogshit conference.
Blueman, I don’t recall reading about SOS in the context you put it in above. Maybe it has and I am having a brain fart. That said, it was enlightening.

I am happy for Bassy. He’s getting plenty of PT and attention. Not likely he will get to play in an NCAAT this season short of a basketball miracle. That’s unfortunate. Beyond that, you and Stevey have done excellent research on his game this season. Very interesting.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Our defense is just terrible.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Harlem, New Jersey. Yikes.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What an absolute joke of a foul call!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looking really good through the first 8 minutes! Defensive intensity is there. Just have to keep it going.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Fuchs for 3!!!!!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Shocking turn of events. We are playing some real solid D after a bad start on D.

Let’s go!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Fuchs playing real good tonight.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rough night for the Fuchs haters!!
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Rough night for the Fuchs haters!!
I never seen a freshman who has 5 double doubles get so much hate.
4 x
'No Mercy.'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Rough night for the Fuchs haters!!
I never seen a freshman who has 5 double doubles get so much hate.

I thought bigs take time to develop? If that's the case, he's gonna be a beast next year.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

House spin move (when it works) is awesome. Fuchs working the boards. Need better backcourt defense.
1 x
GO RAMS