2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Re: 2/21 | Richmond | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

The claps at the beginning. I don’t like this guy at all.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago
ramster wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago What an absolute joke of a foul call!!
Adam, this was early in the game when you mentioned this. Which foul call were you referring to?
I forget who it was on, maybe Wright? But it was the play where the shot clock went off to and they reviewed it and ended up waving it off because the shot clock had expired. I didn't think Ways even touched him from what I could see on TV.
That was our best defensive sequence of the year baby !
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago Nobody here hates Fuchs. My only problem is when he walks up the court. He does a lot of things well. Yes, he makes a lot of mistakes too, but he's a freshman and he'll learn from them (I hope). Hopefully he stays here. For those who weren't at the game or didn't see halftime, Fuchs is the only non-scholarship player to make the Dean's list. So, he's a good student . Good for him. As for Foumena, yeah both he and Rory are gone. So much for our Orangeville Prep connection. I think House is gone too. I think he hates playing for Archie. He always seems pissed and frustrated. He was very angry towards the end of the game when Luis took two threes in a row (1 make, 1 miss). House had just made 2 threes a few possessions back.He wasn't even watching the play. He wasn't involved at all, By design? I don't know. He was staring into the crowd. He went over to Green and started bitching about it. Yeah, as someone said, there are problems on this team.
Arch pulled House early 2h too after about 1.5 minutes, seems like the chemistry Isn’t the best on the team either . I think we are going to have a decent amount of turnover again and it may or may not be a good thing !
0 x
BattleTested
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BattleTested »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 months ago

Make that 6 double doubles.
A 23-point double-double as a freshman - 12 boards, including 4 offensive boards. However, some argue that it's merely because he misses shots and gets his own rebound, deeming it unimpressive. But he's only missed three shots today, so how is that possible? HMMMM...

He also contributed with two steals and two blocks - one resulted in a change of possession after he blocked a shot that went off Richmond, and another led to a shot clock violation. He played well against King when defending him after they went into a pick-and-roll on a few possessions, I think he's been our best defender tonight.

Fuchs was the most active player on the team tonight, hustling back on defense, battling through picks, and fighting in the post. This is contrary to some claims that he has no motor and doesn't care. He's been our best player tonight. The only positive from another complete disappointment was David Fuchs.

Archie was out-coached again, a recurring theme this season. Hammond needs to be the real deal, as our guards have underperformed in way too many games. These false comebacks may be fun for about two minutes, but we never manage to fully come back.

We're struggling. The team looks checked out. I've already said some of the rumblings i'm hearing behind closed doors is not good. Archie has had his share of shortcomings this year. It's disheartening, and this program has let me down for most of my life. I wish I could stop caring and go root for Ohio State, where my brother went to college, but I can't. I bleed Rhody Blue. I hate this so much! Is it like seven straight games that we have lost against Richmond? UGH.
Stevey...what are these "rumblings"?
He hasn’t actually heard anything…he’s just someone who wants to act like they’re in the know lol
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

BattleTested wrote: 2 months ago

A 23-point double-double as a freshman - 12 boards, including 4 offensive boards. However, some argue that it's merely because he misses shots and gets his own rebound, deeming it unimpressive. But he's only missed three shots today, so how is that possible? HMMMM...

He also contributed with two steals and two blocks - one resulted in a change of possession after he blocked a shot that went off Richmond, and another led to a shot clock violation. He played well against King when defending him after they went into a pick-and-roll on a few possessions, I think he's been our best defender tonight.

Fuchs was the most active player on the team tonight, hustling back on defense, battling through picks, and fighting in the post. This is contrary to some claims that he has no motor and doesn't care. He's been our best player tonight. The only positive from another complete disappointment was David Fuchs.

Archie was out-coached again, a recurring theme this season. Hammond needs to be the real deal, as our guards have underperformed in way too many games. These false comebacks may be fun for about two minutes, but we never manage to fully come back.

We're struggling. The team looks checked out. I've already said some of the rumblings i'm hearing behind closed doors is not good. Archie has had his share of shortcomings this year. It's disheartening, and this program has let me down for most of my life. I wish I could stop caring and go root for Ohio State, where my brother went to college, but I can't. I bleed Rhody Blue. I hate this so much! Is it like seven straight games that we have lost against Richmond? UGH.
He hasn’t actually heard anything…he’s just someone who wants to act like they’re in the know lol
Well, I told a few people what I heard already, so we will have to see who's right. Trust me, I hope it's not true.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

When does the portal open?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

See below
Last edited by Jersey77 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 months ago When does the portal open?
For the 2023-24 basketball season, the transfer portal opens on Monday, March 18, 2024 and closes on May 16.
https://www.flohoops.com/articles/11212 ... basketball
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

reef wrote: 2 months ago 76-65. 432
No fight in this team , not mentally tough
How many defensive breakdowns!
Get some new players Arch !
What do you think about their conditioning? I have never watched a team that always looks so gassed.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I don’t think you can build a solid program by completely overhauling the roster year after year. Archie has to figure out a way to get a cohesive core together and develop off that. I think it’s a very bad sign if we get another year of 50%+ of our team hitting the portal.
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Fou is a freshman. Can we relax.
Fou's minutes in the last four games.

5 minutes
8 minutes
5 minutes
0 minutes

We can relax, or we can be realistic. Players leave now more than ever. If he can't get minutes over Tyson Brown, why would Foumena stay? I'm not trying to be a dick I'm seriously asking. Because Brown and Fuchs are both likely back next year. Who knows if he recruits anyone else.. Archie is very unhappy with how these players defend. He will bring in some reinforcements, and it will not just be two freshmen.

I would guess Rory, Fou, Bilau, Weston, and one or both of House and Luis are gone. Hopefully, House stays...I think Archie will keep Connor for one more year, but I could be wrong.
I still believe that freshman should understand that they need to develop and that that aren’t All-Americans immediately. I also think Fou can somewhat understand that Brown is an upperclassman and Fuchs
is more mature from his experience over seas. This happens at every school in the country. I like Fou a lot, but even today, patients is needed. His role will grow.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago
What do you think about their conditioning? I have never watched a team that always looks so gassed.
Saw archie emphatically waiving players down the court on the break many times- not sure if it was conditioning or effort.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Like I said last night, Green and Fuchs were jawing at each other going to the bench late for a timeout. Green slapped Fuchs in the back of the head. Throughout the timeout they were jawing at each other and had to be separated. Numerous players mouthing off to refs. Lots of frustration from them last night. Maybe it's the losing, but this team appears to be soft and dysfunctional. Just my observations from 211.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just three weeks left of this crap. Best time of the year for Ram fans as of late, the off season with no games, will soon start.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You should win the majority of your games when you put up 77 points at home. Against a top 30 defense. Our inability to provide any type of resistance is astounding. There are too many defensive blunders to even call out.
6 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

ARCHIE IS THE PROBLEM !!!
At this time of the year college basketball players are thinking about two things. Either a post season run. Or where am I going to play next year. The signs are always there and usually very evident. Concerning our Rhody Rams when the spectators are talking about how many will leave ? How many were angry and visibly upset ? How much infighting was going on ? These ARE the questions that a program in turmoil always ask. The answers to the questions are important but not nearly as important as the influence of the head coach. Everything off the tree every branch stems from Archie. If the tree is not healthy then all the branches are not as strong. So if Rhody is SERIOUSLY facing a post season exodus that will leave them rebuilding again. Then the time to FIX THE PROBLEM is right now. Not at the end of the season.
ARCHIE IS THE PROBLEM.
That is when a very strong athletic director will step in and FIX THE PROBLEM.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't think Brandon will leave. He's the one guy Archie has praised the most. " I'm really proud of Brandon", " Brandon's become a leader", "Brandon has earned the minutes he's getting". In fact, of all 13 players, I think he's the one most likely to stay.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ram1980 wrote: 2 months ago Like I said last night, Green and Fuchs were jawing at each other going to the bench late for a timeout. Green slapped Fuchs in the back of the head. Throughout the timeout they were jawing at each other and had to be separated. Numerous players mouthing off to refs. Lots of frustration from them last night. Maybe it's the losing, but this team appears to be soft and dysfunctional. Just my observations from 211.
Appreciate the observations, ram1980, as I didn’t get to watch the game and only was able to listen to part of it.

Thanks to others offering observations, too.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just watched Archie's post-game. JFC, get a load of these comments. He calls the team "mentally fragile." That's just for starters.

"Where we're at, the evolution of our program, this is new to me. This team has not been able to make any jumps defensively to get better. Part of it is individual, part of it is youth, inexperience ... part of it is ability... "

Not much else to say.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

And under the bus our squad goes again…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Aside from some rotational aspects, I really don’t have an issue with what Archie is doing. I do put a lot on the players. Hustling, defense, mental stability is all player related.
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Aside from some rotational aspects, I really don’t have an issue with what Archie is doing. I do put a lot on the players. Hustling, defense, mental stability is all player related.
absolutely can put it on the players. That is completely fair.

…however, Archie brought in all these players.
1 x
Go Rhody
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Team is improved, people need to understand that Cox drove this team into the ground and left Archie with none of his guys and little to no talent other than Ish. It is going to take time, trust the process or hop off the wagon because we don't want you.
9 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago And under the bus our squad goes again…
He blamed himself as well. He is telling it like it is.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Aside from some rotational aspects, I really don’t have an issue with what Archie is doing. I do put a lot on the players. Hustling, defense, mental stability is all player related.

Took a chance, with limited time. I think no matter who the coach is, would be in an odd position roster wise. English had a team and was able to bring over guys, Archie didn’t have that luxury.
2 x
GO RAMS
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago ARCHIE IS THE PROBLEM !!!
At this time of the year college basketball players are thinking about two things. Either a post season run. Or where am I going to play next year. The signs are always there and usually very evident. Concerning our Rhody Rams when the spectators are talking about how many will leave ? How many were angry and visibly upset ? How much infighting was going on ? These ARE the questions that a program in turmoil always ask. The answers to the questions are important but not nearly as important as the influence of the head coach. Everything off the tree every branch stems from Archie. If the tree is not healthy then all the branches are not as strong. So if Rhody is SERIOUSLY facing a post season exodus that will leave them rebuilding again. Then the time to FIX THE PROBLEM is right now. Not at the end of the season.
ARCHIE IS THE PROBLEM.
That is when a very strong athletic director will step in and FIX THE PROBLEM.
You are a clown get off the board
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Still much of coaching is about having the players buy into what you are teaching and getting your message across.
You can be the smartest HC around, but you can't be successful unless you are an effective teacher.

Yes, and you do need to bring in the players that are a good fit with both the right attitude and talent, which is also on the HC and his staff.
2 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

No I am not a “clown” but can only wonder why so many on this board ridiculed responses. The opinion expressed is but one person’s. You don’t have to like it. And it’s okay if you don’t. But name calling and acting as if only a few people are allowed to offer a viable opinion. I think not.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Archie sounds like Rick. And a few other coaches out there.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago No I am not a “clown” but can only wonder why so many on this board ridiculed responses. The opinion expressed is but one person’s. You don’t have to like it. And it’s okay if you don’t. But name calling and acting as if only a few people are allowed to offer a viable opinion. I think not.
It’s probably the CAPS

Suggest backing off on those…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Also.. I have messages on my phone about what I heard....I sent the text I received last week to a couple of fans whom I trust. They can confirm this if they want. I'm not just making shit up.

As I told the people, I have no idea if it's true, but I tell people what I hear because I know they love Rhody basketball like I do. I also know some that donate, and if I ever hear anything concerning about the team, I feel like they deserve to know, and I genuinely believe they would return the favor to me. I don't post it to make it look like I'm "in the know". Some people on here get MUCH better intel than I ever do. Since I post clips of recruits and players, you can put the pieces together of who I may become friendly with.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago No I am not a “clown” but can only wonder why so many on this board ridiculed responses. The opinion expressed is but one person’s. You don’t have to like it. And it’s okay if you don’t. But name calling and acting as if only a few people are allowed to offer a viable opinion. I think not.
I get why you feel how you feel, Bruce. You're definitely not a clown.. I agree with some of your post. I disagree that we need to get rid of Archie this soon. He deserves 5 years, in my opinion. At this rate, I don't see us landing a bid until year 5. But we see teams all around the country that make a big jump, so maybe that will happen with us. But if we bring our core players and only add Hammond and Farrell we won't be anything more than a midlevel A10 team. With how he talks about this team there is no way he keeps a lot of our players. He knows he needs some impactful defenders. We'll see what happens.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Also.. I have messages on my phone about what I heard....I sent the text I received last week to a couple of fans whom I trust. They can confirm this if they want. I'm not just making shit up.

As I told the people, I have no idea if it's true, but I tell people what I hear because I know they love Rhody basketball like I do. I also know some that donate, and if I ever hear anything concerning about the team, I feel like they deserve to know, and I genuinely believe they would return the favor to me. I don't post it to make it look like I'm "in the know". Some people on here get MUCH better intel than I ever do. Since I post clips of recruits and players, you can put the pieces together of who I may become friendly with.
Yes, I can confirm those rumblings also, but not at liberty to discuss, gave my word.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

Yes, I can confirm those rumblings also, but not at liberty to discuss, gave my word.
Same.
2 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago
It’s probably the CAPS

Understand and agree. But then again it was the CAPS that garnered the attention. 😎
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Stevey and several others here are very good at sharing intel here when they are able. Another reason why KB is an excellent place for serious Rhody mbb fans.

I for one, am very appreciative of when and where it is shared.
4 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Can't those who've heard share some generic info and leave player names out of it? I'm not looking for names, just want to get more of a feel for what's going on behind the scenes. Dangling the ole carrot and then yanking it away is brutal. I mean, it's no surprise to hear there are rumblings, but how bad are we talking here?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

spar wrote: 2 months ago

Can't those who've heard share some generic info and leave player names out of it? I'm not looking for names, just want to get more of a feel for what's going on behind the scenes. Dangling the ole carrot and then yanking it away is brutal. I mean, it's no surprise to hear there are rumblings, but how bad are we talking here?
Steveystuds - would be good to hear if you have a rough # of how many we may be looking to replace. Is it a possible 1 or 2 defections or much higher?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 months ago
Yes I did mention the poor conditioning earlier in the thread and thought Arch should have used a TO cuz we looked gas and he was waiting for the TV timeout which happened almost / minutes later
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 months ago
The claps at the beginning. I don’t like this guy at all.
After watching this I’m thinking we are going to see high turnover in the off season again , Arch sounds fed up
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago
spar wrote: 2 months ago

Steveystuds - would be good to hear if you have a rough # of how many we may be looking to replace. Is it a possible 1 or 2 defections or much higher?
I've got no inside information, but I'd think the floor for transfers is 3, and I'd wager money on 4 or 5. Stewart has to be gone unless he's just completely happy playing less than 100 minutes a season, and Foumena is fourth on the big man depth chart and losing time as the year goes on. (I'm not there to see games in person, but I'm kind of assuming his defense is absolute garbage, because his offensive efficiency is pretty good.)

From there, take your pick. Dubsky would seem like a prime candidate to transfer because he's played 53 total minutes, but maybe he wants to stick it out for one more year and see if he can crack the lineup. Montgomery and Weston are just complete trick-or-treat players; I think it is hard to feel good about trusting either one in the lineup for 20+ MPG, since so often they just bring nothing to the table. House is listed as a junior, but this is his fourth year in college, so he might qualify as a grad transfer anyway. Of House, Kortright, Estevez and Wright, they combine for roughly all of the 1/2 minutes, and there isn't much evidence any of them can play defense. Bilau is edging into "will he play basketball again?" territory.

Losing teams are pretty much never happy, so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if anyone transferred. I think it's more likely that we retain the guys playing 20+ MPG than those that are not, but Miller was aggressive with the portal usage after 2022-23, and I suspect he'll be aggressive again this season, vs. going after HS prospects beyond the two we have signed.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Starting with the GW game, Weston has produced each game.

Seems to be fully healthy for the first time since he’s been here.

Definitely want him staying, think he will be a quality piece going forward.
1 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Agree Weston looks real good. Needs more minutes IMO.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Starting with the GW game, Weston has produced each game.

Seems to be fully healthy for the first time since he’s been here.

Definitely want him staying, think he will be a quality piece going forward.
For me, I think it would depend entirely on who you think you can get instead. He has had productive stretches like this in the past, and then completely fallen off, so I kind of think this is just who he is as a player. If we were better, that kind of guy is valuable as a deep bench reserve - throw him in if someone gets in foul trouble and hope he goes off, or play him for 5 minutes under the orders of as hard as you can with no brakes. I don't think he's a waste of a roster spot or anything like that, but I also don't think it'll be a huge loss if he goes somewhere else.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago And under the bus our squad goes again…
"Player's" coach? :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Folks in these parts seem a tad crusty these days :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BruceW wrote: 2 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago
It’s probably the CAPS

Understand and agree. But then again it was the CAPS that garnered the attention. 😎
CAPS are for clowns? (Jus' kiddin', you're no more of a clown than anyone else on a message board)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 months ago Agree Weston looks real good. Needs more minutes IMO.
Eh, he’s played 29, 35, 30, 32 the last four games.

Can’t really play much more than that.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Once again, Weston is one of the players Archie likes. He still has 2 years left. Archie will want him here.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Two things.

1. I have gotten on Fuchs after the Mohegan tourney (very much warranted) and after the last home game (first half very passive). However, I believe me, Steven and Jersey (apologies if any others which I’m sure there are) have been Fuchs defenders 90%+ of the season.

He was the only one who showed up tonight. Best game of the season. Hell of a night.

If he stays: 4 year starter, 1000+ point scorer, high up there in rebounds and minutes.

2. King has been tremendous for Richmond all year, will be an All A10 player.

But good lord he flopped 4+ times tonight. Great players like that don’t need to do that.

Didn’t expect to win tonight, just my couple thoughts on the game.

He is gone like the wind. And can you blame him?
0 x