2/6 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/6 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs George Washington University
Charles E. Smith Center, Washington, DC
Tuesday, February 6, 2024
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN+
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
George Washington’s Fan Forum

Of the five stages of grief, which one are you in? From reading the board it seems like most people are in the anger stage. Anger at the lack of defense, anger at the shear amount of wide open threes given up, & anger that this team isn’t better than they are at this stage of the season. After letting Duquesne rain threes and alley oops seemingly all game, the Rams now must travel on the road for back-to-back games. The University of Rhode Island Rams head to our nation’s capital to take on the George Washington Colonials Revolutionaries. This will be the Rams 3rd game in a week, so look for tired legs out there. They won’t be tired from play lock down defense, they are tired from inbounding the ball after another made basket by the opponent.

At the helm of the Revolutionaries is second year head coach & Chris DiSano doppelgänger, Chris Caputo. Last season they had their best year in six years & this year they were 9th in the preseason polls. They have struggled recently, losing 4 games in a row with 3 of those losses in double-digits including home against La Salle. They also opened A10 play with a crushing triple overtime defeat at home to Fordham. The Revolutionaries are salivating at the chance to play a disappointing Rams team.

Leading GW on the court is All-Conference First Team James Bishop, who is leading in both points (17.5) & assists (4.4) per game. Although having scored in double-digits in 9 of his last 10 games, he has struggled from the floor as of late. In 3 of his last 4 he is shooting it at 18% & in his last 5.5 games he is shooting it 18% from deep. Second on the team in scoring is hometown hero, freshman forward Darren Buchanan. Winner of A10 Rookie of the Week three times this season is second on the team in scoring at 15.4 points per game & second on the team in rebounds at 5.7 per game. He is going to be a handful for David Green, so I can see Green getting into early foul trouble trying to guard him. George Washington’s other local star freshman from just across the border in NoVA is guard Garrett Johnson. The 6’8” guard is third on the team in scoring with 13.8 points per game as well third in rebounding at 5.7 per game. The four-time winner of A10 Rookie of the Week is the team’s best three-point shooter but is just 1 for this last 11 (prior to that he was 18 for his last 33 at 55%). Leading the Revolutionaries in rebounding is redshirt sophomore guard Maximus Edwards with 7.1 per game. The preseason All-Conference Second Team player is averaging 12 points per game. Besides Bishop, who is a senior, their next top 6 scorers are all underclassmen. If they can stay together, George Washington has a nice young nucleus to work with in the years to come.

As for the Rams, well it was another abysmal defensive performance. You can let the other team’s best player get that many open looks from three. They were able to force some turnovers which was a good sign. The Rams were able to get Jimmy Clark to turn the ball over 6 times in the last game which is as many he had in his three games prior. What will change in the game on Tuesday night? Archie has threatened a change in the lineup, what will that be? Zek starting? Brown back in the starting lineup over Fuchs? We shall see.

Can the Rams get the win Tuesday night in the District? Road wins are very difficult to come by, especially for this team. Against the Rams, George Washington has won 4 in a row & 5 of the last 7 at the Smith Center. The Rams will need Bishop & Johnson to continue their recent shooting struggles if they want to get the win. Conversely, the Rams defense is so poor that you just know they are going to get open looks & shoot lights out. The Revolutionaries will be well rested as this will be their 1st game in a week while the Rams will be playing their 3rd game in a week. The Rams will probably be about 6.5-point underdogs in this game. Rams will need to play their A game to get the win. My prediction, George Washington 91 – URI 80. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
14-7, 3-5 in the A10
16-16, 10-8 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 158 (206)
RPI: 101 (159)
KenPom: 175 (208)
BPI: 205 (216)
Barttovik: 166 (186)

Leaders:
Points – James Bishop IV 17.5 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Maximus Edwards 7.1 (Soph., G)
Assists – James Bishop IV 4.4 (Sr., G) (3.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 30-35
H: 16-13, A: 11-19, N: 3-3
Most Recent Matchup: 2/22/23 89-80 (OT) L at George Washington
Most Recent Win Streak: 4 – George Washington
Match-up Predictor: 24.1% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/6 | George Washington | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RF1 »

I fully expect two more losses this week. I think the team's record will be sitting at 10-14 (4-7 in A-10) when the Super Bowl kicks off.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Having Yinka Dare / Mike Jarvis flashbacks!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yes Spooky, not feeling good about this one.

GW will be especially hungry at home after losing their last 4.

In addition to having probably the 2 best freshmen (Buchanan and Johnson) in the conference and both starters, they have high scoring Bishop (17.5 pts) and solid Edwards (12 pts) at guard.

Plus, they have one of the top rim protectors in the A10 in Auburn transfer (C) Akingbola.
He set the school all-time record earlier this season with 11 blocks in one game.

Who knows, maybe the team will surprise, and Archie pulls this one out.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has it 33% chance to win.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This has close game written all over it

I think we show up but can’t tell you guys win or loss
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

GW plays to the level of their opponents generally. I've watched them struggle to beat the Alcorn States of the world, however they have been owning us lately, especially in DC.

I wonder how motivated we will be. It'll be interesting to monitor the care level from our guys. Doesn't bode well if Archie loses the team and we just lose out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah going to be a long long off-season of day we finish 12-19 and then lose the 1st game of the tournament
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've watched GW a handful of times this year. This is not a good team. Lasalle beat this team on the road.. This is a winnable game, but I don't have much faith. The buzz of the program was the best it's been since Cox's run in year 2 during our four-game winning streak. That has completely died.. Umass is going to kill us so this is the one we need to win in our next two.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I've watched GW a handful of times this year. This is not a good team. Lasalle beat this team on the road.. This is a winnable game, but I don't have much faith. The buzz of the program was the best it's been since Cox's run in year 2 during our four-game winning streak. That has completely died.. Umass is going to kill us so this is the one we need to win in our next two.
Ok I haven’t seen them yet but if you have watched them and not impressed them we should have a shot to win this if we play well , that’s why I expect it to be close
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe we will find/produce enough offense to over come the leaky, passive, Charmin soft defense, it appears that is the only way to the end of schedule. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I've watched GW a handful of times this year. This is not a good team. Lasalle beat this team on the road.. This is a winnable game, but I don't have much faith. The buzz of the program was the best it's been since Cox's run in year 2 during our four-game winning streak. That has completely died.. Umass is going to kill us so this is the one we need to win in our next two.
They have a talented starting 5, but besides Bishop they are very young and don’t have a ton of depth. They do however have some bucket getters and given our perimeter defensive woes the matchup isn’t great. We also have played like trash down there for several years.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago
They have a talented starting 5, but besides Bishop they are very young and don’t have a ton of depth. They do however have some bucket getters and given our perimeter defensive woes the matchup isn’t great. We also have played like trash down there for several years.
Yea individually they are much more talented than us. Caputo underachieving with them.

La Salle at home is their only puzzling conference loss, no shame in losing @ UMass, @ Dayton, @ Richmond.

Also won @ VCU.

Wouldn't surprise me if Buchanan leaves after this year, he's a stud.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

The last time I enjoyed watching this team was in 2020 when we won like 11 in a row. That was a blast. Dowtin, Martin, Fatts, Langevine.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Total crapshoot. Their 4 game skid is significant but we are their “bounce back game”. Winnable still for Rhody.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Total crapshoot. Their 4 game skid is significant but we are their “bounce back game”. Winnable still for Rhody.
Yes, it is winnable but depends on which team shows up.
The one that won 4 straight earlier or the team we are seeing now which recently got blown out by 30+ points twice and loses to Duquesne by double-digits at home.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Another good breakdown, Spooky. Much appreciated.

As far as your stages of grief question, I am on to acceptance - which is better for my health but not good for the program if it hopes to maintain interest.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Yea individually they are much more talented than us. Caputo underachieving with them.

La Salle at home is their only puzzling conference loss, no shame in losing @ UMass, @ Dayton, @ Richmond.

Also won @ VCU.

I'm sorry, but they are not much more talented than we are. They feasted on the weakest OOC in the A-10 while barely beating teams like Navy, Maryland Eastern Shore and Alcorn State.

They will likely beat us, but it is wild to say they are more talented than we are. Better defense? Better team overall? Yes. Don't know where you are seeing all this talent, because they look like they have average A-10 talent.

I mean, was GMU that much more talented than us? Or did we just give them 2000 wide open threes?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

our team is broken. bad guys by 9
1 x
:lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I remember Bishop has killed us in the past , let’s keep him under 20 and have DG be the game high scorer !
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

Also won @ VCU.

I'm sorry, but they are not much more talented than we are. They feasted on the weakest OOC in the A-10 while barely beating teams like Navy, Maryland Eastern Shore and Alcorn State.

They will likely beat us, but it is wild to say they are more talented than we are. Better defense? Better team overall? Yes. Don't know where you are seeing all this talent, because they look like they have average A-10 talent.

I mean, was GMU that much more talented than us? Or did we just give them 2000 wide open threes?
Bishop is an All A10 player. Edwards is an All A10 player.

Buchanan may win A10 Freshman of the Year. If not, will 100% be on the All Freshman team.

Johnson will be a borderline choice for the All Freshman team.

Akingbola is 3rd in the country in blocks per game, averaging 3.1.

Do we have any of the above? Proven All A10 players? All freshman players/Freshman of the Year ? One of the leading players in America in a statistical category?

And yes, GM was much more talented than us.

Hall is an All A10 player for them.

I laid out exactly how they were pregame, and those players I mentioned had very good/great games against us.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Someday it would be nice to say that we are better than a mid pack A10 program like GW is right now.

So much fun discussing whether or not we will play in the PIG. Year after year lately.

We've had new coaches in the past turn the program around in short order. Not anymore.

I'm also in the acceptance stage of grief. Dont have to like it though.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Someday it would be nice to say that we are better than a mid pack A10 program like GW is right now.

So much fun discussing whether or not we will play in the PIG. Year after year lately.

We've had new coaches in the past turn the program around in short order. Not anymore.

I'm also in the acceptance stage of grief. Dont have to like it though.
Yeah, bone, this sucks. Don’t like the program being irrelevant. No buzz. Brutal.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Also won @ VCU.

Buchanan may win A10 Freshman of the Year. If not, will 100% be on the All Freshman team.

Do we have any of the above? Proven All A10 players? All freshman players/Freshman of the Year ? One of the leading players in America in a statistical category?

I laid out exactly how they were pregame, and those players I mentioned had very good/great games against us.
Ya, GW seems to always have guys that are stud scorers, but for whatever reason, they never do that well. I remember thinking to myself how badly I'd want Battle, Bamsille, and BIshop over the last few years.... I remember how excited I was when we landed Bray because I thought he was one of the best freshmen in our conference. Now I look at them this year with Bishop Buchanan Johnson and although they have some talent I wasn't impressed watching them..If we play like we did to start the A10, we will win this game. If we play like we have recently, we don't stand a chance... I have no idea what team will show up.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago Total crapshoot. Their 4 game skid is significant but we are their “bounce back game”. Winnable still for Rhody.
The one that won 4 straight earlier or the team we are seeing now which recently got blown out by 30+ points twice and loses to Duquesne by double-digits at home.
Yeah Stevey, you and I are on the same page regarding this game, from my earlier post on this thread.
Have no idea what to expect from us.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If this team doesn't start playing defense, this season is over and next season is questionable.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago

Ya, GW seems to always have guys that are stud scorers, but for whatever reason, they never do that well. I remember thinking to myself how badly I'd want Battle, Bamsille, and BIshop over the last few years.... I remember how excited I was when we landed Bray because I thought he was one of the best freshmen in our conference. Now I look at them this year with Bishop Buchanan Johnson and although they have some talent I wasn't impressed watching them..If we play like we did to start the A10, we will win this game. If we play like we have recently, we don't stand a chance... I have no idea what team will show up.
Not huge differences between the Ratings provided by Spookydog…it’s a winnable game

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 158 (206)
RPI: 101 (159)
KenPom: 175 (208)
BPI: 205 (216)
Barttovik: 166 (186)
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yeah Stevey, you and I are on the same page regarding this game, from my earlier post on this thread.
I agree. I have no idea which Rhody team will show up either.

Someone in the press should ask Archie if he knows which Rhody team will show up.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

Someone in the press should ask Archie if he knows which Rhody team will show up.
Really curious how practice went since Saturday's game and the mood of the team.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

Really curious how practice went since Saturday's game and the mood of the team.
Heard they are eating good anyways
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the team that shows no heart or effort on defense will show up

I’d keep 7ish players - I rather retool with people who show effort on D

CUT DEAD WEIGHT
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago the team that shows no heart or effort on defense will show up

I’d keep 7ish players - I rather retool with people who show effort on D

CUT DEAD WEIGHT
Honestly right now there is no reason to think otherwise. Until they show us they can.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whatever the staff is trying to instill in the players is falling on deaf ears.

When Archie says these guys are talented but aren't performing it's getting harder and harder to believe the talented part.

The excuses are getting more and more frequent. Poor work effort is damning.

I could accept losing if we looked like we were playing with max effort on defense.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Whatever the staff is trying to instill in the players is falling on deaf ears.

When Archie says these guys are talented but aren't performing it's getting harder and harder to believe the talented part.

I could accept losing if we looked like we were playing with max effort on defense.
The coaching hasn't been good enough too. Can't just blame the players.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I say, bleep the D...if you suck at one aspect, move on and just go all out on o-ffense. Try to to get to 100 points.
Play a "fake zone trapping D" and hope they miss (I mean, who doesn't have the "competitive spirit/DNA" to do that, right?
Long outlets, risky full court passes, just get to 100.
When was the last Rhody century mark game? And, did the fans get free fries?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Is this what you had in mind ?

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago Whatever the staff is trying to instill in the players is falling on deaf ears.

Is it mainly the coaching or is it the players?

I have a hard time believing that most of this team doesn't have heart or not willing to put in the effort.
After all these players have had some success and put the work in order to make it to Div. 1 and earn scholarships.
We didn't see this on Hurley's teams even when we were losing.

I think the staff needs to up their game and make the proper adjustments.
Regardless, Archie wasn't dealt these cards, these are his guys.

Just by listening to the presser, I sense Archie is frustrated and searching for answers.
It was pretty upsetting to hear that from him.

I still trust this staff and believe they will figure it out.

Worse case would be having to go through another roster rebuild after this season and then we can look forward to an ugly 24-25.
But again, I don't think that will happen.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team and season is Groundhog Day redux.

The same crap game after game.

No improvement.

Please dont tell me if we keep this team intact next season that we will be better.

Archie's job will depend on who he brings in the next couple of years.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I'm not saying we are playing as good as GW right now. Because we haven't been playing like it at all. It would be really nice to be good again and have that buzz going about the program.

But the posters who are arguing that GW is this great team is laughable.

GW sucks. People were saying they are top 5 in league directly before conference. That is not happening. GW may beat us tomorrow but that doesn't change the fact that GW still sucks.

Their defense is barely better than ours and offense about the same.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago Is this what you had in mind ?

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago This team and season is Groundhog Day redux.

The same crap game after game.

No improvement.

Please dont tell me if we keep this team intact next season that we will be better.

Archie's job will depend on who he brings in the next couple of years.
Bone, much depends on how we finish this season.
We already know there will be at least a couple of roster changes.

I expect or would hope that the coaching along with the players will all improve and be better.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DG is shooting 55 % from 3 this year we need him to be that focal point , he’s the best player we’ve had here in awhile can score in a variety of ways
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 months ago Is this what you had in mind ?

C'mon. You can do better than that.

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Always enjoy on topic music posts. Good stuff 👍🏼
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

reef wrote: 2 months ago DG is shooting 55 % from 3 this year we need him to be that focal point , he’s the best player we’ve had here in awhile can score in a variety of ways
I'll never understand how someone can shoot 55% from 3, but 58% from the FT line.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago Always enjoy on topic music posts. Good stuff 👍🏼
It's completely random and has nothing to do with GW, but I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rhodyram22 wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago DG is shooting 55 % from 3 this year we need him to be that focal point , he’s the best player we’ve had here in awhile can score in a variety of ways
I'll never understand how someone can shoot 55% from 3, but 58% from the FT line.
Very simply...

When you're in the flow game, your mind doesn't have time to (over)think and your body/muscles don't have time to tense up.

When you're at the FT line, your mind can be thinking of a 1,000 things...which adversely effects how your muscles react and your muscle movement.

It's why some people get this yips in golf, Chuck Knoblauch/Steve Sax can't throw to 1st base, etc.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago Always enjoy on topic music posts. Good stuff 👍🏼
It's completely random and has nothing to do with GW, but I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

This actually looks really really GOOD
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago I say, bleep the D...if you suck at one aspect, move on and just go all out on o-ffense. Try to to get to 100 points.
Play a "fake zone trapping D" and hope they miss (I mean, who doesn't have the "competitive spirit/DNA" to do that, right?
Long outlets, risky full court passes, just get to 100.
When was the last Rhody century mark game? And, did the fans get free fries?
And we've gone full circle back to Jim Baron
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago I'm not saying we are playing as good as GW right now. Because we haven't been playing like it at all. It would be really nice to be good again and have that buzz going about the program.

But the posters who are arguing that GW is this great team is laughable.

GW sucks. People were saying they are top 5 in league directly before conference. That is not happening. GW may beat us tomorrow but that doesn't change the fact that GW still sucks.

Their defense is barely better than ours and offense about the same.
just means we suck more if we lose.
0 x
:lol: