1/31 | La Salle | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/31 | La Salle | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs La Salle University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, January 31, 2024
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast

Previews
La Salle’s Fan Forum

Soooo…anyone see any good movies lately? I figured people may have a little extra free time to get their mind off the defensive ineptitude of this current Rams team. Writing these game previews after multiple losses in a row is not the most enjoyable thing to do. Throw in the fact that they’ve given up 90+ in 3 of those 4 losses, that is just the icing on the cake. Well, the Rams hope a little midweek home cooking will help them right the ship.

If you wanted to play any team in the A10 right now to possibly end a losing streak, the La Salle Explorers would be the top one or two choices for most fans. The Explorers, who were picked dead last just behind Rhode Island, come in at just 2-5 in the conference. The one thing they do have that Rhody does not have besides a 103-year-old coach in Fran Dunphy is that the Explorers have a player on the preseason all-conference team in Khalil Brantley. This second team award winner is leading the team in scoring at almost 15 per game. At just 6’1”, he is also third on the team in rebounding with almost 5 per game as well as second on the team in assists at 4.2 per game. Right behind Brantley in scoring is point guard Jhamir Brickus. He is averaging 14.4 points per game & almost 5 assists per game. He has scored in double-digits in 8 of his last 9 games, including 19 & 8 assists in the last game against George Washington. The final double-digit scorer on the Explorers is guard Anwar Gill who is averaging exactly 10 per game. Think when he gets fouled shooting & he hits the bucket does he yell “Anwar” instead of “And 1”? Daeshon Shepherd is leading the team in rebounds with 6 per game & is just shy of 10 points per game. Andres Marrero, who is averaging 8.6 points per game, is the team’s best three-point shooter along with Jhamir Brickus. They are both shooting it at 40.7% on the season while the rest of the team is pretty bad from three-point land. Take out Marrero & Brickus & the Explorers are shooting it 30%. The Explorers play primarily a 4-guard lineup & have a rotation of 8 players with only 2 of them being big men in Rokas Jocius & Ryan Zan. What I find most surprising about the Explorers roster is even in the age of players transferring schools, their entire roster is made up of players who have only played collegiately at La Salle. It hasn’t quite translated into success yet, but there is potential there.

As for the Rams, what else can be said that hasn’t already been said in numerous Keaney Blue topics. They are towards the bottom in defensive efficiency, their turnover margin is appalling, & they are second to last in the country in turnovers forced per game. In their last game, Rhody played such a good offensive game (minus from the free throw line) yet they couldn’t secure the win. Except for Foumena, the Rams bench has been nonexistent. Over his last 6 games, Zek is shooting it at 17% & 13% from three. Over the last 3 games, Always is 0-7 combined from the field. Weston had his worst game as a Ram over the weekend, picking up 5 fouls in 6 minutes. Right now, Aris Tsourgiannis is smiling down from Charilaos Trikoupis Messolonghi. On a side note, inexplicably he went for 17 & 6 as well as 17 & 9 in his last couple games.

Will URI be able to hold La Salle under 90? Since I had no takers the last game, anyone that comes to me at the corner of the bar at Shaidzon between 4-6:40 Wednesday before the game gets a free Buffalo Czech on me. Just come by & say “for the love of God, please hold La Salle to under 90”. Although the Explorers have beaten the Rams in 2 of the last 3, URI does have 4 home wins in a row. The Rams will probably be about 3-point favorites & I think this is going to be a very tight game. Unfortunately, the Explorers don’t turn the ball over much & we can’t force turnovers. La Salle has a solid chance of not turning the ball over at all in this game. Will the home crowd be enough to secure the victory? My prediction, La Salle 74 – URI 71. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
11-9, 2-5 in the A10
15-19, 7-11 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 202 (205)
RPI: 170 (156)
KenPom: 215 (197)
BPI: 186 (214)
Barttovik: 203 (183)

Leaders:
Points – Khalil Brantley 14.9 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Daeshon Shepherd 6.1 (Jr., G)
Assists – Jhamir Brickus 4.9 (Sr., G) (2.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 34-11
H: 15-4, A: 15-6, N: 4-1
Most Recent Matchup: 3/7/23 73-56 L at A10 Tournament
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – La Salle
Match-up Predictor: 59.4% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/31 | La Salle | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

$5 Beers!!
1 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Wow Spooky, picking La Salle over us at home, have we sunk that low?
You actually didn't even mention another big freshman Tunde Fasasi (6'8") who started their last game in beating GW.
He scored 19 pts (4/5 3PT, 3/3 FT) and 6 rebs.

I actually look at this as being a must game, for us to regain any type of momentum to salvage this season.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A player to watch for LaSalle is Freshman Tunde Vahlberg Fasasi who co-shared A10 Rookie of the Week announced Monday

Fasasi is a forward from Stockholm Sweden who Dunphy announced signing last summer. He has been getting increasing minutes and taking advantage of those minutes. He hit 4-5 3Ps last game.

Fasasi is currently 14th in A10 3P Shooting at 43.3% thru 7 games

WASHINGTON – The Atlantic 10 Conference has named Richmond graduate student Jordan King its Men's Basketball Player of the Week. George Mason freshman Baraka Okojie and La Salle freshman Tunde Vahlberg Fasasi were chosen as the league’s Rookie of the Week. The awards were announced Monday and are for games played Jan. 22-28.
Vahlberg Fasasi poured in a career-high 19 points as the Explorers defeated George Washington on Saturday. The forward from Stockholm, Sweden, knocked down four of his five 3-point attempts and also blocked three shots and grabbed six rebounds in the victory. He also had seven rebounds versus No. 16 Dayton. On the week, he averaged 12.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and shot 60 percent (6-for-10) from 3-point range.
Last edited by ramster 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Wow Spooky, picking La Salle over us at home, have we sunk that low?
You actually didn't even mention another big freshman Fasasi Tunde who started their last game in beating GW.

I actually look at this as being a must game, for us to regain any type of momentum to salvage this season.
we are ripe for the pickin'
0 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Wow Spooky, picking La Salle over us at home, have we sunk that low?
You actually didn't even mention another big freshman Tunde Fasasi who started their last game in beating GW.

We will win this one
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You actually didn't even mention another big freshman Tunde Fasasi (6'8") who started their last game in beating GW.

We lost 2 of 3 to LaSalle last season so its not like we haven’t been low

Jan 7 LaSalle won 77-75 at LaSalle in OT. PS was EVEN so we lost PS by 2.

Jan 28 URI won 72-70 at Ryan Center. PS was URI -6.5 so we lost PS by 4.5

Mar 7 LaSalle easily won 73-56 in the 1st round game at Barclay Center. PS was URI -1.5 so we lost PS by 18.5

In the last contest, losing by 17 to LaSalle in the A10 Tourney Daeshon Shepherd killed us with a double-double off the bench with 15P and 11R in just 26 minutes hitting 7-10 FG. We could not stop him
Brickus had 18P and Brantley had 11P in that game.

LaSalle returned most all who played that game except Drame twins transferred to Duquesne.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 months ago

Jan 7 LaSalle won 77-75 at LaSalle in OT

Jan 28 URI won 72-70 at Ryan Center

Mar 7 LaSalle easily won 73-56 in the 1st round game at Barclay Center.
Yes I realize that, just being a little facetious.

Besides I try and put last season out of my memory bank.

I would have hoped we are much better than that now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Fasasi got co Freshman of the week. He continues to get more playing time.

I’m with Spooky. I don’t think we win this game. I’d expect a smallish attendance with enthusiasm falling off.

Dunphy is an excellent coach, has most of his players back, has some freshmen contributing and improving and he seems to have URI’s number taking 2 of 3 last year including crushing us in A10 Tourney.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

You can put out it out of your mind, but most of the LaSalle roster is back that took 2 of 3 and they are confident against URI.

They have offensive strength and we have defensive weakness. Their guards are quicker than our guards and play tougher defense.

LaSalle after beating URI by 17 then beat Duquesne and then lost to 3-seed Fordham. Had a solid return of players from last season plus some freshmen showing promise.

I think this is a tougher game than some here think.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Thanks ramster & jersey for bringing up Tunde Vahlberg Fasasi. I meant to put him in the write-up but it slipped my mind. Thanks for catching that.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You can put out it out of your mind, but most of the LaSalle roster is back that took 2 of 3 and they are confident against URI.

They have offensive strength and we have defensive weakness. Their guards are quicker than our guards and play tougher defense.

LaSalle after beating URI by 17 then beat Duquesne and then lost to 3-seed Fordham. Had a solid return of players from last season plus some freshmen showing promise.

I think this is a tougher game than some here think.
As you know Ramster, I have always defended how tough this conference is, with really no cupcakes.

Yes La Salle won't be a walk in the park, and Brickus and Brantley will be a handful.
Plus Gill recently returned, and Shepherd and Marrero are solid at wing.

Still when looking at the rest of the conference they are probably at the bottom or close to it.
Because of that, this may be one of our best opportunities for a win especially being at the RC.
Archie understands that and another loss would be brutal to the moral of this team.

I feel pretty confident that we come out on top here.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Completely irrelevant to talk about the results of the 3 games last year and use it as a measuring stick for tomorrow.

We’ll only have Weston who was in those games last year.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Completely irrelevant to talk about the results of the 3 games last year and use it as a measuring stick for tomorrow.

It’s irrelevant for URI but far from irrelevant for LaSalle who returned the bulk of their players.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'll be surprised if we win.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

$5 Gansetts.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Completely irrelevant to talk about the results of the 3 games last year and use it as a measuring stick for tomorrow.

It’s irrelevant for URI but far from irrelevant for LaSalle who returned the bulk of their players.
Eh, I mean, those La Salle players haven’t played against our current players.

Was our victory against Dayton last year relevant to this seasons game? No, it wasn’t.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m thinking bounce back win for URI , the message finally gets through and DG goes for 20
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has URI with 62% to win.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Not to mention that we were in on him in the Spring before Fuchs committed
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Wins against teams like LaSalle, have become critically important to prevent any portal hemorrhage and recruiting losses for next year. Players will look harder at other opportunities when they face season long frustration. (Eg see Ish)

I’m betting that rebounding and inside scoring will give us a win.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 2 months ago Wins against teams like LaSalle, have become critically important to prevent any portal hemorrhage and recruiting losses for next year. Players will look harder at other opportunities when they face season long frustration. (Eg see Ish)

Sort of like Fordham at home last week?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago
McRam wrote: 2 months ago Wins against teams like LaSalle, have become critically important to prevent any portal hemorrhage and recruiting losses for next year. Players will look harder at other opportunities when they face season long frustration. (Eg see Ish)

Sort of like Fordham at home last week?
Exactly !!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

One other thought on tonight’s game, if LaSalle is not big inside, I would like to see how we would look with Green at center for a short period of time. . And, yes, play a deny defense!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I’m with Spooky. I don’t think we win this game. I’d expect a smallish attendance with enthusiasm falling off.

Dunphy is an excellent coach, has most of his players back, has some freshmen contributing and improving and he seems to have URI’s number taking 2 of 3 last year including crushing us in A10 Tourney.
For better or worse I don't see what last year has to do with anything. Our top 8 in minutes per game weren't even on our roster last year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KenPom gives the #196 (#205 NET) Rams a 64% chance of beating the #216 (#204 NET) Explorers, with a projected final of 77-73. They only have us favored in one more game after tonight as of right now, our 3/2 home game against St. Louis.

Massey Ratings gives the #182 Rams a 61% chance of beating the #173 Explorers, with a projected final of 74-71. This is the last game they have us favored to win the rest of the season as of now
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I really don't know how the team will recover if they lose this game. Can't see them turning the season around in a positive direction
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 months ago
You actually didn't even mention another big freshman Tunde Fasasi who started their last game in beating GW.

We will win this one
lol, sure.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree , a loss tonight looks very very bad and needs to be avoided !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 months ago

For better or worse I don't see what last year has to do with anything. Our top 8 in minutes per game weren't even on our roster last year
What it says when you lose 2 of 3 and get crushed in the PIG game in the A10 Tournament plus lose the Point Spread of all 3 games to LaSalle is that we should not take this game for granted.
I read earlier that LaSalle and Duquesne at home would help us get back on track. Makes it sound like “we get a breather” type games and should be easy wins.

And comparing to last year - sure, Stewart started in the A10 Game and Weston played as the 1st guy off the bench and Miller replaced a lot of guys. But the point too is LaSalle kept a lot of guys and replaced with a A10 Rookie of the Week announced this Monday. LaSalle has quick, experienced guards who can play good defense and steal the ball.

Game is 2.5 points URI favored. 3 points given to home court so this is a toss up.

This game is further from a gimme than many think and if we lose the sky will fall again - but the sky shouldn’t fall. This game can go either way.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What it says when you lose 2 of 3 and get crushed in the PIG game in the A10 Tournament plus lose the Point Spread of all 3 games to LaSalle is that we should not take this game for granted.
I read earlier that LaSalle and Duquesne at home would help us get back on track. Makes it sound like “we get a breather” type games and should be easy wins.

And comparing to last year - sure, Stewart started in the A10 Game and Weston played as the 1st guy off the bench and Miller replaced a lot of guys. But the point too is LaSalle kept a lot of guys and replaced with a A10 Rookie of the Week announced this Monday. LaSalle has quick, experienced guards who can play good defense and steal the ball.

Game is 2.5 points URI favored. 3 points given to home court so this is a toss up.

This game is further from a gimme than many think and if we lose the sky will fall again - but the sky shouldn’t fall. This game can go either way.
Your post is #29 on a game day thread less than an hour before tip off. Think about that.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This game certainly isn't a gimme, no game in the conference is.
Not sure a win here will necessarily change everything around, but a loss here will definitely hurt.
I still consider this to be one of the more winnable games left on our schedule.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

At some point, boys need to become men. Will it happen here??????
0 x
TaketheShot
Jim Eitner

Unread post by TaketheShot »

#23 no head band during warm ups.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

TaketheShot wrote: 2 months ago #23 no head band during warm ups.
…..film at 11……?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Why late start 715? Beer sales that good?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Please just find a way to win this one!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cam Isamone on the call !
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

how is attendance?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

9-3 LaSalle. 1558

Awful start just awful

Fuchs missed a lefty sky hook
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Yeah, Reef. Rough start.

No likey.

Wake up, Rhody!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

yep, still soft as charmin
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

I do not want to watch another year of this defense, no fucking chance.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm liking this lineup in the 3-2 zone. Some nice defensive possessions.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

13-10 LAS. U 16

Uninspired effort URI !

BW 4-4 line !
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Weston’s playing hard today, just nothing’s falling for him
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Well at least Foumena gets them in a little foul trouble even if he misses way too many.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Lots of minutes for Ways, Weston and Foumena in the 1st half so far. They're all playing pretty well.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Why doesn’t Always shoot more?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

24-21 URI. 648

Nice sequence there DG with a couple 3s and Ways giving us a spark !
1 x