2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I guess we can start this since we are in the new year and Depaul fired Stubblefield.

"DePaul basketball: 3 best head coach candidates after Tony Stubblefield firing"
Josh Shertz (Indiana State), Will Wade (McNeese State), Bryce Drew (Grand Canyon).
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-BB1h61Ou
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago I guess we can start this since we are in the new year and Depaul fired Stubblefield.

"DePaul basketball: 3 best head coach candidates after Tony Stubblefield firing"
Josh Shertz (Indiana State), Will Wade (McNeese State), Bryce Drew (Grand Canyon).
Is that actually an upgrade for any of them?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago I guess we can start this since we are in the new year and Depaul fired Stubblefield.

We start the 2024 Coaching Carousel thread with NET 304 DePaul. Was Fordham not available?

No, not an upgrade. They can all do better. They should wait it out.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

We start the 2024 Coaching Carousel thread with NET 304 DePaul. Was Fordham not available?

Fordham? Fordham?? An elite program by comparison at #180 and their new coach just led them to their best season in more than three decades last year... That's a plum job compared to DePaul
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bryce Drew be a nice hire for them , would it be a huge pay jump ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 months ago

Maybe not a huge jump, he is compensated very well at GCU.

Opportunity to coach in the BE, also recruiting hotbed in Chicago (even though the Blue Demons have struggled).
Won't have immediate stress and pressure to succeed.
Can put his mark on returning DePaul to their previous glory days under Ray Meyer.

Still, he along with some others may wait for better opportunities to open up.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

Opportunity to coach in the BE, also recruiting hotbed in Chicago (even though the Blue Demons have struggled).
Can put his mark on returning DePaul to their previous glory days under Ray Meyer.

When you look at all the +'s and -'s...I'm not sure DePaul is as good a job as GCU...is it?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

When you look at all the +'s and -'s...I'm not sure DePaul is as good a job as GCU...is it?
You may be right, unless it becomes an ego thing (playing with the big boys) or they offer him a deal he can't refuse.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

DePaul is a graveyard for coaches. Drew would be nuts to even look at it
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 months ago DePaul is a graveyard for coaches. Drew would be nuts to even look at it
Coaches have humongous egos. There's not one of them who doesn't think he can succeed where everyone else has failed.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You may be right, unless it becomes an ego thing (playing with the big boys) or they offer him a deal he can't refuse.
If I'm him, I'm not seeing DePaul as an upgrade job in any way.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If I'm him, I'm not seeing DePaul as an upgrade job in any way.
Yup, DePaul is a complete dumpster fire.

BC a better job than that.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Possible A10 HC changes?

Keith Dambrot- Turning 66, will he retire or be shown the door? 7 seasons at Duquesne (48-62) and not much to show for it.
Fran Dunphy- Will be 76, time to give it up already and La Salle is still in the cellar.
Travis Ford- Fans have had it with him. 8th year at SLU and only 1 NCAAT (no wins), this season is looking ugly.

Will Anthony Grant get another opportunity to trade up?
Much depends on how Dayton finishes the year and can they get some run in the NCAAT.
Unfortunately, no post-season in 2020, but was named NCOY.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Possible A10 HC changes?

Keith Dambrot- Turning 66, will he retire or be shown the door? 7 seasons at Duquesne (48-62) and not much to show for it.
Fran Dunphy- Will be 76, time to give it up already and La Salle is still in the cellar.
Travis Ford- Fans have had it with him. 8th year at SLU and only 1 NCAAT (no wins), this season is looking ugly.

Much depends on how Dayton finishes the year and can they get some run in the NCAAT.
It’s always surprising to me that SLU is one of the top tier A10 teams (money, facilities, investments, etc), have had multiple All A10 players, NBA players, and Ford has only made the tournament once with zero victories.

Can’t see how he survives this brutal season.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think Travis Ford is definitely going to be shown that door !
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Fans have really turned against Travis Ford in St Louis. It has gotten so bad that Ford's son created an anonymous account to defend his dad from critics on social media. Travis had to admit the account was tied to his son when confronted about it.

The only thing that might save Ford this season is the big buyout that would be required. Ford and his lawyers have a history of very favorable contracts that make firing him very costly. Oklahoma State had to give him big bucks to oust him. He had $7.2M left on his contract but the two parties negotiated reaching a $3.9M departure deal back in 2016.

Billikens Head Coach Travis Ford discusses social media drama involving son
https://www.audacy.com/kmox/local-sport ... olving-son
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

There was some speculation on Twitter that Ford would be let go after yesterday's loss to UMass.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Ford gets canned , do you guys think he coaches again ?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 2 months ago If Ford gets canned , do you guys think he coaches again ?
No, let’s get him hired to work the color for our ESPN+ games
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago If Ford gets canned , do you guys think he coaches again ?
Reef, if I was SLU I’d see if I could trade Ford and some NIL cash for Martelli Jr.

Unfortunately, Bryant would likely laugh them off.

But seriously, I think he may have to go into broadcasting or drop down in conference to coach again. I don’t think anyone will be banging on his door to hire him outside a lower level conference, imho.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dunphy did what La Salle needed. He energized the fan base enough that they're getting Gola remodeled. There was talk before he got there that the $10 million initial donation wouldn't be used, but he got that project to where it needed to be before the deadline to use the donation passed. I could see him coaching next year for the first year in the remodeled gym or retiring after this season. I don't see him going past next season. That said, even after the remodel they'll probably still be in the cellar due to a small fanbase, a gym too small for the fanbase to grow appreciably, and bad overall school finances.

Travis Ford should be out, but other people mentioned the buyout could be prohibitive. I'm not seeing full contract details, but he has multiple years after this season. I don't think he's a head coach again. Any schools with the same or better resources than St. Louis will look for someone better and schools with less resources will wonder if he can win at their school if he didn't really win at St. Louis. Maybe he ends up as an assistant on his old college coach's staff and ends up at St. John's under Pitino?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think Ford's coaching future would depend on how important it is for him to be the head coach. Like, Jim Baron found a job after URI - there's another rung after this mid-major level that Ford would be seen as a great hire for. I'm not sure if that would pay more or less than an assistant job at some programs.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago I think Ford's coaching future would depend on how important it is for him to be the head coach. Like, Jim Baron found a job after URI - there's another rung after this mid-major level that Ford would be seen as a great hire for. I'm not sure if that would pay more or less than an assistant job at some programs.
If he gets let go, he may take little time off, but I am sure there will always be a mid-major (maybe lower level) that would be glad to take him. After all he did have some previous success.

I don't think he ever went the assistant coach route; was HC at Campbellsville (Mid-South), Eastern Ky (OVC), UMass, Ok. State, and SLU.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Ford is relatively young @ 54 and there are so many schools out there that I do think he coaches again if this is his last year @ SLU
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Arizona State's Bobby Hurley back on college basketball coaches on the hot seat lists
Story by Jeremy Cluff, Arizona Republic • 3h

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-BB1hP4sP
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Arizona State's Bobby Hurley back on college basketball coaches on the hot seat lists

Jersey, I wonder where he could land if he is fired ?

DePaul comes to mind but I don’t know if he and Dan want to go head to head at least twice a season. What do you think ?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Arizona State's Bobby Hurley back on college basketball coaches on the hot seat lists

Really good find , I thought Bobby would be gone from ASU a couple years ago and think it’s a really good chance this is his last year there

Your guess is as good as anyone’s as for where he lands
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

DePaul comes to mind but I don’t know if he and Dan want to go head to head at least twice a season. What do you think ?
I posted it because it was out there in the Arizona Republic, but I think he gets another season.

He did sign a 2-year extension this past March that goes through 25-26.

If the team does tank and he is let go, I think he will have no trouble finding a landing spot.
He can also decide to sit out a season if the right opportunity doesn't immediately come along and collect on his contract.

However, I do agree with you about DePaul.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

I posted it because it was out there in the Arizona Republic, but I think he gets another season.

If the team does tank and he is let go, I think he will have no trouble finding a landing spot.
He can also decide to sit out a season if the right opportunity doesn't immediately come along and collect on his contract.

Louisville
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

Fordham? Fordham?? An elite program by comparison at #180 and their new coach just led them to their best season in more than three decades last year... That's a plum job compared to DePaul
Urgo is enthusiasm +++++. His players run through walls for him. Kinda jealous !
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

Louisville
1. Why would a higher profile basketball school (Louisville) hire a guy fired from a lower profile basketball school (ASU) where he didn't win big enough?
2. Why would a guy like Bobby Hurley take a job at DePaul that's been a coach-killing job for the last 25 years and is currently one of the worst jobs in college basketball? Why would Hurley, with no Midwest roots, want to settle in Chicago?
3. Why would DePaul hire Bobby Hurley, somebody with no Chicago roots in the city and coming off a job at ASU where he did OK but didn't make ASU a top Pac-12 job? Only people in their 40's and 50's know the name Bobby Hurley.

If DePaul were smart (which nobody claims they are), they would have to look at the Indiana State head coach, Josh Schertz. That guy has won before and is winning now. Bryce Drew is a Midwest guy but he's smart enough to know that DePaul might not be a good enough job for him. (Remember, Drew coached at Vandy at one time.) And don't be surprised if DePaul makes a run at Drew Valentine from Loyola. Young guy, known in the city and the public league, and has Loyola back winning after last year's train wreck.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 months ago

Louisville
1. Why would a higher profile basketball school (Louisville) hire a guy fired from a lower profile basketball school (ASU) where he didn't win big enough?
2. Why would a guy like Bobby Hurley take a job at DePaul that's been a coach-killing job for the last 25 years and is currently one of the worst jobs in college basketball? Why would Hurley, with no Midwest roots, want to settle in Chicago?
3. Why would DePaul hire Bobby Hurley, somebody with no Chicago roots in the city and coming off a job at ASU where he did OK but didn't make ASU a top Pac-12 job? Only people in their 40's and 50's know the name Bobby Hurley.

If DePaul were smart (which nobody claims they are), they would have to look at the Indiana State head coach, Josh Schertz. That guy has won before and is winning now. Bryce Drew is a Midwest guy but he's smart enough to know that DePaul might not be a good enough job for him. (Remember, Drew coached at Vandy at one time.) And don't be surprised if DePaul makes a run at Drew Valentine from Loyola. Young guy, known in the city and the public league, and has Loyola back winning after last year's train wreck.
If DePaul can land Josh Schertz, that would be a win for them.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Louisville

Good questions regarding DePaul and Bobby, PMM. Personally, I don’t think Bobby would ever consider DePaul just because he and Dan would be going head to head 2-3 times a season - and I don’t believe he and Dan want to have to do that if it is avoidable. I don’t think they have the stomach for it, imho.

For me that would exclude him regarding DePaul whether or not he is ever considered. It’s more a Bobby question than a DePaul question in my mind. He is the subject not DePaul so it is solely from Bobby’s perspective for me.

Beyond that, I have no idea what DePaul would do. But your choices sound solid at first glance. Solid points made.

As for Louisville, considering Bobby is the subject, I do think he would be interested in the job if he let go. Shoot…why wouldn’t he be interested. Would that interest be reciprocated. Who knows ? A lot can happen between now and if the Louisville job is open if Bobby is let go.

That said, you make good points from a Louisville perspective if their job opens and if Bobby is available.

I am going to guess the others above were looking at it from Bobby’s perspective as well unless advised otherwise.

Good discussion and good points adding perspectives from DePaul and Louisville angle.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How about URI? Just wait another year.

Lol
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Louisville is/should be desperate
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Louisville

If DePaul can land Josh Schertz, that would be a win for them.
Yeah Indiana St is the real deal this year
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Louisville

Good questions regarding DePaul and Bobby, PMM. Personally, I don’t think Bobby would ever consider DePaul just because he and Dan would be going head to head 2-3 times a season - and I don’t believe he and Dan want to have to do that if it is avoidable. I don’t think they have the stomach for it, imho.

For me that would exclude him regarding DePaul whether or not he is ever considered. It’s more a Bobby question than a DePaul question in my mind. He is the subject not DePaul so it is solely from Bobby’s perspective for me.

Beyond that, I have no idea what DePaul would do. But your choices sound solid at first glance. Solid points made.

As for Louisville, considering Bobby is the subject, I do think he would be interested in the job if he let go. Shoot…why wouldn’t he be interested. Would that interest be reciprocated. Who knows ? A lot can happen between now and if the Louisville job is open if Bobby is let go.

That said, you make good points from a Louisville perspective if their job opens and if Bobby is available.

I am going to guess the others above were looking at it from Bobby’s perspective as well unless advised otherwise.

Good discussion and good points adding perspectives from DePaul and Louisville angle.
Thanks...greatly appreciated.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I definitely agree about the DePaul angle. Coach killer and it'd have to be the right kind of midwest person coming from a lower level program to even sniff it. From the Bobby angle, no shot would he and Dan coach against each other. Bobby's made plenty of money at ASU, he could easily afford to go the Archie route for a year if the right gig doesn't appear.

That said, Louisville could use ANYTHING to get a jolt into their arm. At a minimum, someone without the stink of scandal.

For what it's worth, Bobby Hurley has taken ASU to more NCAA tournaments than any other coach in their last 45 years. He's "winning" as much as anyone else has in Tempe. Yeah he's had some poor tournament showings, but ASU isn't some blue blood with any realistic expectations of deep march runs.

Louisville is a joke. They've had significantly more head coaches than they have tournament births in the last 7 years (4-1). They've actually had more coaching scandals than tournament births as well. They haven't had a winning season in 4 years.

This was a program that within the last decade was coming off of 9 straight NCAAs, more wins than I can count, 6 sweet 16s, 5 elite 8s, 3 final fours, and a national title. They are so dead that they need a big name to revive it - and Hurley might be the perfect fit.

He's not too big where he will have a ton of options, but he's got a hell of a pedigree, name, and standing in college basketball - especially on the east coast.

No one really cares or watches Pac12 or west coast basketball in the eastern time zone, so any perceived "failures" at ASU won't really be looked at. He's a collegiate basketball legend, and would be a huge buzz coming back east.

I don't think you can any longer call Louisville a high profile program. The ACC has become an increasingly irrelevant basketball conference. Not to say they're not "good" but they're not the unquestionable best conference in college basketball anymore. There's no more Coach K, Roy Williams, Boeheim, or Pitino roaming the sidelines. Virginia is really all that's left consistently. Obviously Miami had their run last year.

But to act like Louisville is only going to hire some proven coaching legend is a fallacy. They hired Kenny friggin Payne last year. They grabbed Chris Mack from Xavier.

Bobby Hurley would be an absolute hit for Louisville. It'd at least give them some buzz.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Does Bobby still love his horse racing to? Perfect fit there in Louisville. I'm mostly joking, but do agree that Bobby to Louisville would seem to make a lot of sense for them if he's interested.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Does Bobby still love his horse racing to? Perfect fit there in Louisville. I'm mostly joking, but do agree that Bobby to Louisville would seem to make a lot of sense for them if he's interested.
I kind of think you have it backwards - Louisville is going to be interested in a guy that Arizona State shitcans? I think Bobby is going to have to "settle" for a mid-major job or an undesirable power conference job (DePaul or something similar).
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Does Bobby still love his horse racing to? Perfect fit there in Louisville. I'm mostly joking, but do agree that Bobby to Louisville would seem to make a lot of sense for them if he's interested.
I kind of think you have it backwards - Louisville is going to be interested in a guy that Arizona State shitcans? I think Bobby is going to have to "settle" for a mid-major job or an undesirable power conference job (DePaul or something similar).
A name to keep an eye on for Louisville is Mick Cronin
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You may be right. It just feels like Louisville has fallen so far lately that I wonder what their options will be. And honestly I wasn't thinking that Arizona State would be firing Bobby, but that's definitely possible. I was thinking more that he would just be leaving on his own. I don't follow them closely at all though.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 months ago

I definitely agree about the DePaul angle. Coach killer and it'd have to be the right kind of midwest person coming from a lower level program to even sniff it. From the Bobby angle, no shot would he and Dan coach against each other. Bobby's made plenty of money at ASU, he could easily afford to go the Archie route for a year if the right gig doesn't appear.

That said, Louisville could use ANYTHING to get a jolt into their arm. At a minimum, someone without the stink of scandal.

For what it's worth, Bobby Hurley has taken ASU to more NCAA tournaments than any other coach in their last 45 years. He's "winning" as much as anyone else has in Tempe. Yeah he's had some poor tournament showings, but ASU isn't some blue blood with any realistic expectations of deep march runs.

Louisville is a joke. They've had significantly more head coaches than they have tournament births in the last 7 years (4-1). They've actually had more coaching scandals than tournament births as well. They haven't had a winning season in 4 years.

This was a program that within the last decade was coming off of 9 straight NCAAs, more wins than I can count, 6 sweet 16s, 5 elite 8s, 3 final fours, and a national title. They are so dead that they need a big name to revive it - and Hurley might be the perfect fit.

He's not too big where he will have a ton of options, but he's got a hell of a pedigree, name, and standing in college basketball - especially on the east coast.

No one really cares or watches Pac12 or west coast basketball in the eastern time zone, so any perceived "failures" at ASU won't really be looked at. He's a collegiate basketball legend, and would be a huge buzz coming back east.

I don't think you can any longer call Louisville a high profile program. The ACC has become an increasingly irrelevant basketball conference. Not to say they're not "good" but they're not the unquestionable best conference in college basketball anymore. There's no more Coach K, Roy Williams, Boeheim, or Pitino roaming the sidelines. Virginia is really all that's left consistently. Obviously Miami had their run last year.

But to act like Louisville is only going to hire some proven coaching legend is a fallacy. They hired Kenny friggin Payne last year. They grabbed Chris Mack from Xavier.

Bobby Hurley would be an absolute hit for Louisville. It'd at least give them some buzz.
I agree with most of this - except UNC hasn't really missed a beat since Roy retired. They lost in the Championship (as an 8 seed) in Davis' first seaon coach, didn't make the tourney last year, and is currently # 3 in the AP poll. (Well I guess you could say they missed 1 beat, and to play devil's advocate, you could say they weren't consistent in Davis' first 2 years). I haven't dug that deep, but UNC has only missed 5 tourneys since 1975: 2003, 2004, 2010 (Ulmer was fouled and it could have been considered intentional!), 2020, and last year

from wikipedia:

NCAA tournament appearances
1941, 1946, 1957, 1959, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 2 months ago

I agree with most of this - except UNC hasn't really missed a beat since Roy retired. They lost in the Championship (as an 8 seed) in Davis' first seaon coach, didn't make the tourney last year, and is currently # 3 in the AP poll. (Well I guess you could say they missed 1 beat, and to play devil's advocate, you could say they weren't consistent in Davis' first 2 years). I haven't dug that deep, but UNC has only missed 5 tourneys since 1975: 2003, 2004, 2010 (Ulmer was fouled and it could have been considered intentional!), 2020, and last year

from wikipedia:

1941, 1946, 1957, 1959, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
Certainly fair, but I’ve always held the belief that those first 2 years are more indicative of the past guy than the present guy.

So UNC going from preseason top 5 to no birth was an instant wake up call that the luster of Tar Heel legend had worn off a bit.

I’m certainly not arguing how great they have been historically as a program, but Hubert Davis ain’t Roy Williams or Dean Smith.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

from wikipedia:

Certainly fair, but I’ve always held the belief that those first 2 years are more indicative of the past guy than the present guy.

So UNC going from preseason top 5 to no birth was an instant wake up call that the luster of Tar Heel legend had worn off a bit.

I’m certainly not arguing how great they have been historically as a program, but Hubert Davis ain’t Roy Williams or Dean Smith.
Always wondered how Roy Williams would have done if he wasn't handed the two of the easiest coaching jobs in the history of college basketball. Roy had an NIT team in there as well and could never win a title at Kansas. I would say Hubert has a chance to be as good as Roy. Just out athlete and talent everyone. That's UNC basketball lol.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

from wikipedia:

There something to this - those players were recruited by Williams, but Davis did take them to the tournament and ultimately within a half of winning the whole thing. The coach still has to coach the players - we know this all too well after DH moved on. Year 2 was a Baronesque 20-13 and something certainly to keep an eye if you're UNC or a fan. This year in the top 5 they seem to be back on track - how many players are still Roy's vs. Davis' I don't know, but it has to be at least 50/50 or more on Davis in year 3, unless most of the 2022 roster were Freshman and Sophomores. So time will tell. The next 2 to 3 seaons will be telling.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If this year taught anything it's that there are virtually no true "programs" in college hoops. It's all coach driven.
Look at Nova. Look at Louisville. Look at UConn in last couple Ollie years. The luster from a highly successful predecessor wears off quick and the minute you stop winning the brand takes a massive hit. We are still digging out from our own version of that.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago If this year taught anything it's that there are virtually no true "programs" in college hoops. It's all coach driven.
Look at Nova. Look at Louisville. Look at UConn in last couple Ollie years. The luster from a highly successful predecessor wears off quick and the minute you stop winning the brand takes a massive hit. We are still digging out from our own version of that.
It's actually impressive how bad of a coach Neptune is.

Has driven that program to the ground in less than two years.
2 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

from wikipedia:

Always wondered how Roy Williams would have done if he wasn't handed the two of the easiest coaching jobs in the history of college basketball. Roy had an NIT team in there as well and could never win a title at Kansas. I would say Hubert has a chance to be as good as Roy. Just out athlete and talent everyone. That's UNC basketball lol.
Handed the "two easiest coaching jobs in the history college basketball?" First off, the guy paid his dues. He wasn't handed anything. (You could make the case that Dan Hurley was handed head coaching jobs off his dad's and brother's name.)

KU was going on probation when he took over. Kansas has been made into a great job. It wasn't in the early 1980's and Larry Brown was not dominating the Big 8 when was coaching there. (Billy Tubbs at OU and Norm Stewart at Mizzou were great.) Kansas is not a great spot for recruiting.

If UNC is so easy, how come Matt Doherty blew it? And Hubert Davis laid an egg last year? The resources are great but so are the expectations. It's not as easy you might think.

Shouldn't St. John's have been an easy job all these years? Is UCLA easy? Indiana?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

As previously noted, Louisville is/should be desperate...Bobby would be a huge hit for them (huge)
1 x